Start by marking “Networked: The New Social Operating System” as Want to Read:
Networked: The New Social Operating System

Networked: The New Social Operating System

Daily life is connected life, its rhythms driven by endless email pings and responses, the chimes and beeps of continually arriving text messages, tweets and retweets, Facebook updates, pictures and videos to post and discuss. Our perpetual connectedness gives us endless opportunities to be part of the give-and-take of networking.

Some worry that this new environment makes
Published April 27th 2012 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Networked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Networked

Mike
Jan 16, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Networked is a decent attempt at articulating the concept of 'networked individualism,' but ultimately the work says nothing new. The abundance of data is appreciated, however it mostly comes from the same source (co-author Rainie's Pew Internet Research branch). Therefore, Networked is probably useful as a text for an undergradute new media course, but those more advanced in their studies/careers will probably only find it useful for citations of data.

Also, I know this may seem prejudiced, but
Henry Sienkiewicz
Oct 10, 2012 Henry Sienkiewicz rated it it was amazing
Great book - nice compliment to Bowling Alone and Alone Together.
Laurel
Mar 20, 2013 Laurel rated it it was ok
This book provides a good over-view of online networks, however there was nothing new here for me; I imagine because I am now fairly up-to-date on the Internet Studies literature. The authors presented a mostly utopian view of the world online, although they did occasionally nod to the dark side of the internet. I think this book would have been stronger if they would have spent more time discussing the challenges that those who spend a lot of time online face. Increasingly big data, privacy ...more
Jurgen Appelo
Mar 12, 2016 Jurgen Appelo rated it really liked it
Good overview of social trends, useful conclusions.
John Osman
Jun 27, 2013 John Osman rated it really liked it
My interest in Barry Wellman's work on Social Network Analysis and Lee Rainie's work at the Pew Internet and American Life Project led me to this book. Both assist in understanding the new digital social networks by providing a deeper understanding of social networks and their ongoing development on the web.

Others have described the overall book's contents so I will focus on my major take-away.

As one studying faith development, I am interested in the role of communities. One's faith - while cert
Jenny Thompson
Because I read this book for a class, the deadline made my reading experience rather rushed. As such, you should probably take this review with a grain of salt.

I thought Rainie and Wellman's book had some interesting aspects, but it was ultimately a bit dull. The pair relied a bit too heavily on statistics. At times it almost felt like reading a summary of the Pew Research Center's survey responses for the last five years. That said, the conclusions they drew could be interesting (when they didn
Marc-Aurèle
Jul 15, 2014 Marc-Aurèle rated it did not like it
Shelves: samy
Je n'ai rien appris avec ce livre et la vision de l'auteur ne me plait pas car elle est superficielle. L'auteur ne semble à mon avis que parler de la génération qui a connu l’essor d'Internet lorsqu'ils étaient déjà adulte et pas de la jeune génération dont Turkle parle dans Alone Together. Puis lire un livre qui ne parle que des statistiques de Pew Internet Research Center, je m'en serais volontiers passé. Il ne parle que des belles choses d'Internet et il ne se pose aucune question sur le ...more
Maxwell Foxman
Mar 04, 2013 Maxwell Foxman rated it really liked it
I think this book may in the end be a historical snapshot of the early decades of "Network Culture" or whatever it may end up being called. It is incredibly positive and forward thinking, but clear and with a lot of data for the network scholar. I personally identified with it significantly, which may say more about the commonalities between myself (a PhD student of a certain income) then about the trends of being in a further networked world. I still recommend it ultimately for its depth and ...more
Phil
Feb 11, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
This book gets 4 stars because of the first half. It's about as good an overview on both the technology of networks and the theories of networks that one can ask for in the pursuit of introducing undergraduate students to the concepts.

But Atheismo save me from old men writing about technology. The tone is the kind of hokey only old people trying to be hip can nail. I will never work with either Rainie or Wellman now, I'm sure, but the chances were always slim anyway. And jebus this gets hokey.
Ivan Kapersky
Oct 05, 2014 Ivan Kapersky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberspace
I'm giving it two stars because it was not what I expected. I was expecting a more depth analysis of Social Networks and how people are "Networked" through the different Social Networks. The author does explain it, but in a very simple way, with no theory o recent studies. It simply doesn't get in more depth with the analysis. The way I see it, the book is intended for the population that is new to Social Networks and are not certain how it works or influences our lives. Though, I recommend this ...more
Alexandra
Dec 15, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was ok
While the premise of networked is obvious enough and supported by statistics and anecdotes,the authors glossed over: negative impacts of the network, the persisting digital divide, the educational/comprehensional network divide, and corporate control of networking systems. The book's stats and stories came all from internet users or the college educated - not a representative segment of society.
Michael Chase
Nov 07, 2012 Michael Chase rated it it was ok
First chapter was great. It shows how a couple in need of assistance used social media for help. But I don't like the comparison of social media to an operating system, but I get what he means. After the first chapter lots of graphs, discussion of data, I got bored and stopped wanting to read on.
Wessel van Rensburg
Apr 26, 2013 Wessel van Rensburg rated it really liked it
The first few chapters of this book are the most significant. And the key concept from it is that of 'networked individualism'. This explains how even when groups are in decline (Putman's Bowling Alone), we are not necessarily less connected or lonely today.
Kathrin Passig
Jul 21, 2013 Kathrin Passig rated it liked it
Aus Recherchegründen überflogen. Eine überschaubare Idee ausgepolstert mit sehr vielen nacherzählten Statistiken.
Jacqueline
Feb 03, 2014 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, teaching
Comprehensive and provides nice historical and contextual information. Very accessible, great for undergrads or grads. I'm incorporating it into my courses.
Bobbyrozzell
Bobbyrozzell rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Guzulesen
Guzulesen rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Michal Pleban
Michal Pleban rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Kenny Embry
Kenny Embry rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Jinyoung Kim
Jinyoung Kim rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
David Howell
David Howell rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Chris Peterson
Chris Peterson rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Alexis Clements
Alexis Clements rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2014
Anoush Margaryan
Anoush Margaryan rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2012
Siddhesh Dabholkar
Siddhesh Dabholkar rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Craig Zdanowicz
Craig Zdanowicz rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Moriah
Moriah rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Francois Gossieaux
Francois Gossieaux rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Sarah Cavanah
Sarah Cavanah rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • Personal Connections in the Digital Age
  • Networks of Outrage and Hope: Social Movements in the Internet Age
  • Remediation: Understanding New Media
  • The Inner History of Devices
  • The Tao of Twitter: Changing Your Life and Business 140 Characters at a Time
  • The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and
 Learning)
  • Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture
  • Understanding Social Networks: Theories, Concepts, and Findings
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media
  • Television: Technology and Cultural Form
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • New Media: A Critical Introduction
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series))