Start by marking “The Magic Faraway Tree” as Want to Read:
The Magic Faraway Tree

The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree #2)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  25,436 Ratings  ·  470 Reviews
Jo, Bessie and Fanny take their cousin Rick on an adventure he'll never forget to the magic Faraway Tree, where he meets Moon-Face, Silky the fairy and Saucepan Man, and visits all the different lands at the top of the Faraway Tree. Like the Land of Spells, the crazy Land of Topsy-Turvy, and the land of Do-As-You-Please, where the children ride a runaway train!
Published March 1999 by Mammoth (first published 1943)

Mark Lawrence
Fanny waited a whole book for Dick and I'm happy to report he turns up in book 2.

Or Franny and Rick as the characters have been renamed.

Anyhow. Note how book 2 has substantially more ratings than book 1 since it actually has 'Faraway Tree' in the title.

Not so much to report about book 2. In the 4 years since book 1 (1939) Enid seems to have come up with no new ideas. Although it was interesting to see the addition of Google buns to the weird food list (centred on pop cakes and toffee shocks) - w
Lauren Welch
Oct 17, 2012 Lauren Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite book when I was younger because it’s such an enchanting story. The story takes place in an enchanted forest in which a gigantic magical tree grows - the enormous "Faraway Tree". The tree is so tall that its top branches reach into the clouds and it is wide enough to contain small houses carved into its trunk. Three children find the tree in the enchanted forest, which is the start of their adventure. They meet lots of new friends in different parts of the tree like moon fac ...more
Natasha Soderberg
This book shaped much of my childhood.
Michelle
Five stars out of sheer sentimentality. I loved this book as a child and have read it countless times after finding it at a garage sale. I have so many pleasant memories reading this book, it will never leave my bookshelf.
Charlotte
Oct 14, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a child I loved to read and would read a lot of books but the books that stand out to me the most are The Magic Faraway Tree and Adventures of the Wishing-Chair, both by Enid Blyton.

Her stories were full of mystery and fantasy and I used to spend all night finishing a book and being exhausted all the next day because I just had to read the last 'few' pages.

Within these stories the children (and of course you)visit the magic Faraway Tree, and meet the magical characters that soon become their
Clouds
My review-soon shelf is getting out of control again - been finishing more books than I've been reviewing! - best crack-on...

So I didn't love this one at all. Part of that's personal, and part of that's critical. Let's do the personal first...

When my son was a tiny baby and my wife was on maternity leave from work, we had a lovely bedtime routine. While Fin had his last feed I would read him a story. We worked our way through Winnie-the-Pooh and Wind in the Willows amongst others. I loved it
Kirsten
Apr 04, 2011 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this the book that turned me into such a bookworm? I just read it to my six year old son and at times to my 39 year old husband. We all loved it. It was the first chapter book Ethan had the patience for. I asked him his fave character and of all characters it was the Angry Pixie. Would never have picked it. The humour is accessible to all which I don't always find as Ethan has yet to pick up references needed for jokes generally. But he loved all the descriptions of Saucepan's misunderstandin ...more
Saoirse Sterling
Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

This was so imaginative-up to a point. I thought so much more could have been made of it all-a tree that leads to different lands? Yes please. Unfortunately, all of the lands were soft, playful, self-serving, twee. I didn't enjoy how completely devoid of any particular adventurous danger the adventures actually were. I didn't enjoy the obviousness of how it all turned out. I didn't find it flowed from one
David Sarkies
Nov 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love fairy tales
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: childrens
Return to the Fairy World
11 March 2012

Well, I have now read this book, though I will continue to do what I normally do when I wish to revisit a review and that is to keep my older one below (normally because there are still things there that are relevant despite me having reviewed this book without reading it in like 25 years). Now I can also legitimately add it to my reading list as I have now read the book as opposed to my Dad reading it to me when I was six.

Once again the adult world seems
Sheree
Apr 24, 2009 Sheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: my mum
This was my all-time favourite book growing up & unbeknownst to me at the time, my first experience with the fantasy genre. As a child I was so enchanted with the story, I believed the Enchanted Forest and the Magic Faraway Tree were actually real.

Only a few pages in and this delightful story came rushing back, along with the magical, wishful feelings experienced as a child. Fanny, Dick, Bessie & Jo, Moon-face, Silky, Saucepan, Dame Wash-a-lot & the Angry Pixie became old friends on
Mike
May 09, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-lost-youth
Funny, I was always on the side of the Cousins, There was a reason why I didn't like Moon-Face and it took a Friend to point out that Moon-Face was too much of a Goody Two Shoes.
Lefa
Avery is dressing up as Silkie for his first Book Week in prep. I think that speaks to how much he loves this series.
Saloni .
Oct 21, 2009 Saloni . rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have only enid blyton to thank for introducing to me the wonderful and fascinating world of books. i started pretty late but hers were the books which were a part of my childhood. the faraway tree, the wishing chair, the famous fives, secret sevens, mystery series, noddy series and the circuis books were and still are an all time favourite. somehow all my enid blytons are still kept tucked in a cloth in my cupboard ...i just seem unable to give them away.
Kirsty
This series was a part of my childhood, my imagination would run wild to this series. This is the second book in the series and while you could read this series out of order and everything would make sense, I think you would get a lot more out of the series if you were to read it in the intended order.

I gave the first book in this series five stars, and that is what I've given this one too because I just can't fault it, or at least not the original version that doesn't have silly name changes.

In
Dee
Jun 12, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ahhhh i wanna plant a tree to take me far far away into a world where i can buy unlimited amounts of books for FREE.
onto the review :P this book i have to say was my childhood, well the tv show was. i remember reading the book and my mouth watering at the cakes that exploded with honey mmmh. tbh this is a magical fun read, something you can treasure. a book in which you can see the development in childrens stories, a classic if i must say!
Ben Phillips
Feb 27, 2014 Ben Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is based on the adventures of three children, Jo, Beth and Fanny who have recently moved to a house that has an enchanted wood at the bottom of the garden. Within this wood, is a tree unlike all the others, where strange people live such as a man with a face as round as a moon and a man who only wears saucepans. The tree also has another secret, at the very top, a new land appears each day where the children and their new friends get to explore each time.

Likes:

What is not to like with
Renee
Jun 06, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, favourites
This was my favourite series when I was a kid. I have been waiting years until my kids were old enough to read it to them. Their grandparents gave them a copy for Christmas. It's not quite the same with Beth, Frannie, Joe and Rick instead of Bessie, Fanny, Jo and Dick, but still a great tale (with much less giggling about Fanny and Dick....)

This is book two in the series.

**Interview with my 4 year old daughter**

Me: What did you think of the book?
Her: They are so booful (beautiful) all of them.

M
Rowena
One of my favourite childhood books.How I wished I could visit those magical lands at the top of the magic faraway tree, eat all the weird and wonderful food they described, and be friends with a fairy and a man with a moon-shaped face!
 Alli
I read an original version of this book, before the names were changed. I really don't think that the Author should be made to change the names of characters in a book because of the childish behavior of others.

That said this was a great read of a book from my childhood.

It is about the adventures of 4 children, who played out in the forest at the end of their garden (how many kids do that now-a-days?)
They had several different unusual forest friends, that contributed to their adventures.

There ar
La pointe de la sauce
1st Gent: Our deeds are fetters that we forge ourselves.
2nd Gent: Ay, truly : but I think it is the world
That brings the iron.
CekMoNSter
Aug 31, 2011 CekMoNSter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, fantasy
i`m giving this book a four..Its my first from Enid Blyton.. I love saucepan man, Dick irked me a bit as a boy who brings trouble..Moon-face is lovable...It`s basically the characters and the setting that made me fall for this one..Reminds me a lot of Roald Dahl`s books, cause Enid blyton`s was really creative and imaginative..
This is a story about a boy, Dick who was sent for a holiday at his aunt`s house. Spending a few days there with his four cousins, he was told about to magic faraway tree
Lori Watts
Jun 27, 2013 Lori Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of The Faraway Tree. It has funny characters like Moon-Face, Saucepan Man and Silky the Fairy. Saucepan Man is always wearing saucepans and kettles. He's a bit deaf because of his saucepans and kettles banging together. He's very funny! Moon-Face has a round face like the moon. He has a slippery-slip inside his house. Silky is a very, very, very nice fairy.

Bessie and Franny move next door to an Enchanted wood, and
Bella
Dec 10, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my favourite as a child. I fell in love with it when my year 4 teacher read it to our class. So much that I saved all my pocket money for weeks to buy it. It is filled with fantastic fantasy. As an adult I would love to read it again and be taken on that ride down the slippery slip all over again! I wanted to be those characters, heading off on adventures into strange lands.
Shahrun
Oct 27, 2014 Shahrun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enid Blyton really turns words into magic. This book is no exception. Three siblings, along with their mischievous little so-and-so cousin have some wild adventures with their friends up the Magic Faraway Tree. They don't half get into some scrapes (usually caused by greedy Rick), but together they always get safely out them! I love the random lands the tree lets them access. Oh if only ay!
Bianca
Apr 13, 2015 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how there are children climb up a tree to see there friends. I like how Moonface and Silky the fairy let the kids know when theres a new land coming. each land is exiting.
Maryam
Aug 01, 2012 Maryam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the story my father read to me as a bedtime story. After reading it by myself many years later I have come to realise why. This book is so magical and keeps you reason throughout. This books takes you on the same journey as Joe Bessie and Fanny as they climb te magical faraway tree and go down the amazing 'Slippery Slip'. I so wish this tree was real. Enid Blyton has done an amazing job writing this and the other two books as Everytime I read these books I feel like a child again going ...more
Johara Almogbel
Dec 30, 2014 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-the-library
Oh, Enid Blyton, what magic you always weave. Specially, when it comes to food. The feasts mentioned always make my mouth water and give me an incurable craving for strawberries and cream (with the cream already sugared).

This is the third addition to the Faraway series, and although the stories are shorter here and the Lands not as numerously pleasant, they're still equally as delightful. Oddly enough, out of all the places, I really really want to visit the Land of Medicines. Pills to make you
Marley
Jul 26, 2015 Marley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of adventure and magic would recommend to Younger kids
Carly
Aug 26, 2014 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad read this book to me in bed when I was very little. Since then I've read it a second time, again to my brother, and I have recycled the novel as a series of bedtime stories for my cousins. This is the one of the best children's books I have ever read because it captivates a child's imagination like no other. This book inspires dramatic childhood games and evokes a sense of adventure to all that read it. I highly recommend reading it to your kids- or even to yourself (if you want to re-spa ...more
LastBreath
description

When I was a young girl in primary school out teacher used to sit us down in our reading groups and pop a basket of books on the table. Next would come a set of headphones which was attached to a tape recorder. For the next 15 minutes or so we were fully immersed in the magical world of talking trees, swimming turtles or Emperors trying to find their clothes. Next to Art, Reading was, and is, a favourite past time.

Over the years there have been many authors that captured my young mind - Margaret
Play Book Tag: The Magic Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton - ★★★★★ 3 14 Apr 24, 2016 06:51AM
Such a cute book 6 17 Dec 06, 2014 05:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover for Magic Faraway Tree 2 19 Sep 02, 2014 04:09PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review 7 1 4 Sep 02, 2014 09:29AM
Childhood inspiration for adults, Share your Story. 1 21 Sep 02, 2013 07:42AM
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Possum Magic
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • Blinky Bill
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Dogger
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Carrie's War
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • There's a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
  • Stig of the Dump
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

The Faraway Tree (4 books)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Up the Faraway Tree