Start by marking “The Folk of the Faraway Tree” as Want to Read:
The Folk of the Faraway Tree

The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree #3)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  8,389 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Vintage children's book. Copyright 1946 by Darrel Waters Limited. 185 pages. Hard cover book with illustration of children playing on a tree.
Published January 1972 by Dean (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Folk of the Faraway Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Kirsti
I was seven years old when I was shepherded into Mrs Hazard's class, deemed stupid and unwilling to learn by my teachers of the previous years. I had spent kindergarten a scared, confused child, who couldn't focus on the words on the board in front of me. Year One had been the same; why was everyone else reading and writing and I couldn't grasp it? But here was a gentle woman, who smiled down on us and said that we were going to read a story. I was bored. I knew I wouldn't be able to follow the ...more
Aimi
Jul 30, 2013 Aimi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with a young heart
Recommended to Aimi by: Dad
This is one of my most favourite/cherished books of all time. My dad read this to me when he tucked me into bed. Fortunately my Dad is from England so I don't have the lousy American version. I couldn't find the cover of it on here! How sad! Anyway, this book is full of enchantment and wonders. It's about this village that exists in a tree and all of the weird creatures that live there. Some near by children befriend them and join them on their many adventures. I always thought that was the cool ...more
Robin
Oct 30, 2007 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: juvie
I was lucky enough to read my sisters' copy that wasn't americanized. I hate it that in the newer versions, Dame Slap was scaled down to pracically nothing! They should have left the kids' names alone too. What is wrong with having a girl named Fanny? There ought to be a law against these things.
David Sarkies
It seems that there was a lot of controversy connected to some of Enid Blyton's books to the point that some libraries were inclined not to stock them. One of the issues was her use of volcabulary, or lack of, but these are children's books so I do not understand why people would be so critical of a restricted vocab. In a way children are not expected to understand words like eclectic and in a way having a limited vocabulary, I believe, can be a useful tool in enabling children to begin to read ...more
Emily
What an exciting read for big imaginations!

The Folk of the Faraway Tree is an Enid Blyton tale, following the adventures of four children in a magical woods. At the heart of the woods is an enchanted tree which is the home of some intriguing characters and mysterious lands. The children soon explore the tree and it's inhabitants and adventure quickly unfolds.

It appears clear that the author intended to captivate the imaginations of young children with this book. As I child, I can remember read
Kimberley doruyter
the most lovely thing about these books is that it's several shorter story's in one.
Alana
So according to others' reviews this is the dumb American version. I grew up reading and loving the original amazing English version. My Baba would read it to me and my sister every night before bed, and each time we got to the end we'd start over again. I've carried it around with me since my childhood as a relic of my past. This weekend was my first time revisiting it as an adult, and I swear I remember there being more pictures, but I guess I just had a very active imagination. This book is f ...more
Marilee
Good times. I just finished reading this to my boys. I can't count how many times we laughed out loud. We love the characters, and they have wormed their way into our everyday language - like if someone doesn't hear something right, we call them Saucepan Man. I can see why the Faraway Tree is so loved. I want to try pop cakes and google buns, I want to ride down the slippery slip on a cushy pillow and I want to knit the red squirrel a sweater. Fun book.
Kirstin Kemppainen
This was my absolute favorite book when I was a child. My dad was forced to read it to me at least once a week. It's an enchanting story of four kids who climb a magical tree to find all of the nursery rhyme characters. It is quite a long picture book, with several chapters. But it is worth the read and I will definitely be sharing this story with my future classroom.
Portia S
The last installment to the Faraway series! I loved it, absolutely, one of the childhood favourites of mine when I was eight. I gobbled this up so quickly! I remember wanting to climb trees in England be able to find a world of my own sigh. :) I loved how we had a non-believer among us in this book, and how she got what was coming to her pompous ass.
Tracey King
Having read 'The Magic Faraway Tree' I was interested to find out what other adventures the children could get into. Me and my daughter enjoyed reading about the different lands that arrive at the top of the tree. It made me think what land it would be next?
A very enjoyable book and lovely to read to a child.
Marcy
At least now I know what Enid Blyton's writing is like. I'm still not clear why she's so popular. Sure she is imaginative and fun, but there are so many other writers who I think execute imagination and excellent prose at the same time.
Deepti
Probably my most favourite childhood book ever, from my favourite Enid Blyton series (apart from Noddy). I plan to get my own child to read this series one day. No kid of mine is growing up without Enid Blyton!
Karthik
This is the third book of the series. It has this new character Connie, an annoying one for a change. The general plot line follows the usual script - adventures in different lands that come on top of the tree. Somehow this book did not have so much new stuff happening. The lands were not detailed out so much - the visits were brief. There was repeat of the land of Dame Snap. The Land of Nursery Rhymes was the most promising one but it could have been explored further. The land of know it all wa ...more
I own two copies of this book as the first became so worn out I had to replace it. This is something that every child should read or have read to them.
crashqueen73
My mum read this to me as a child (I am 41 now) but I LOVED this book. I think it was the one that made me decide I wanted to read more than anything. The pure escapism that reading is. This one was so fantastical and wonderful with all the delightful characters and all the awesome and exciting places the children got to visit at the top of the tree. I would recommend this for 6-8 year old age group and it is a great read aloud too. I must remember to read this to my three year old once she gets ...more
Lynley
Having this yearread the first two in the series and dishing out five stars, I have to admit to myself that despite everything – the imagination, the perfect pacing, the innate sense of what will appeal to children – this series has not dated well, and that this book,the third in the series, has aged the worst.

In the previous book cousin Dick came to stay – a greedy, hapless but lovable boy – my daughter enjoyed Dick'scharacter more than the others. This time we have ‘Curious Connie’, a ‘spoilt
Wanda
One of my favorite genres is Children's literature. More precisely, I do so enjoy the classic authors from the past. Enid Blyton was a British author who wrote over 800(yes, 800) children's books in her career that spanned the 1940's-1960's. Books written in this time era are not only delightful stories but are also a window to the world of children at that time.

I chose the trilogy of the Magic Faraway Tree. In this series the three young brother and sisters and various cousins and friends beco
Natalie
This is one of my most loved books! I adore it with so much of my heart, it was a book I read several times during my childhood and will continue to read the same worn out copy I cherish so dearly. It holds so many memories of my childhood, and if I could meet Enid Blyton I will be sure to thank her more than is possible for creating such a perfect book. I have no bad things to say about this amazing story, it holds a very special place in my heart.
Zainab
(the folk of the faraway tree) is an amazing story , I had fun reading it because its really easy to read , for me , it's a really good book to teach the kids the right from the wrong, to teach them that bad habits have Consequences , friends are so important , because they are always there for you when you need them , going through hard experiences is really good , because you learn from them , and never do the same mistake you did in the first experience , actually the thing that made me buy i ...more
Socialbookshelves.com
The Folk of the Faraway Tree is the third book in Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series, and it sees the return of Jo, Bessie and Fanny as they introduce Connie, their mother's friend's daughter, to their friends on the Faraway Tree.

Connie is, quite frankly, annoying - for a start, she doesn't believe that the Faraway Tree exists, although she quickly changes her mind once she begins to experience the weird lands that dwell through a hole in the clouds. She's also nosy and prone to snooping, all qua
Shahrun
I think I read this one as a child. Having read the first three if these books in a row, I can see the formula. But still, the magic Enid Blyton creates is inviting. I mean, who wouldn't want to explore the magical lands at the top of the Faraway Tree or try some delicious sounding Pop Cakes mmm. Not too sure I'd want the toffee shock though. And hang out with all the funny characters who live up it!
Jamie
I loved these stories when I was a kid, so re-reading them was fun:)

Three children move to the country side and in a forest near their new home they find a magic tree, where lots of magical folks live, pixies, fairies and a saucepan man. The animals and trees can talk and at the very top of the tree a new magic land visits every few days.
Susan Eyre
This book was given to me when I was seven by my English grandfather. It was one of the first gifts he had ever given me. The tome was very old and worn, and he told me that it was his favorite book when he was a boy. I took it and determined to read it quickly, for his sake.

I was quickly enchanted. The characters of Saucepan, Silky, Bessie, and even Connie captivated my young self and kept me giggling. As the children and their friends venture from one world to the next, they learn valuable lif
Lynne
Wish it had been the original....Nevertheless, all the stories of Moon-Face, Silky, Saucepan and the children are magical fantasies that (hopefully) will continue to enthral generations of children. It seems that now she's been cleaned up, good old Enid is back in fashion and that calls for lashings of ginger beer!!
Johara Almogbel
I think... Yes. I've made up my mind. Now, this is very hard to admit but, nevermind Hogwarts. If I were to wish I could live anywhere in the world, I'd pick the Faraway Tree.

PS. I've only just discovered I own a copy of the edited versions of these books. Frannie and Beth are actually called Bessie and Fanny? And I suppose all traces of racism has been scrubbed out, because I kept getting confused why people were mentioning racism in the books. There weren't any when I read, just a bit of sexi
Ramya
Loved, loved, loved this series as a child and oh so wanted to find that magic tree to climb into a magical world, make new friends, and eat strange melt in your mouth popping candy to odd treacle puddings! A veritable feast for the enchanted, magical- thinking mind of a grade schooler!
Kasturi
It is an enchanting story. .The little children save the Faraway tree.The folks moonface ,saucepan man silky, whatzisname are really very nice.Sure to like them.But must be careful about damewashalot pouring water that flows down the tree.this is really a great story.Enjoy it.
Edward Davies
In a similar vain to the books of C S Lewis, L Frank Baum and E Nesbitt, this book has a bunch of kids who find a magical land and a relative who doesn't believe them despite what they witness. A fun book filled with imgination that small kids will enjoy.
The Girl Who Reads
Another amazing book in this series . It's great to see how the children grow and how the tree goes through the seasons . Very good book .
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • Blinky Bill
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Possum Magic
  • Wombat Stew
  • The Demon Headmaster
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood (Farthing Wood, #1)
  • Dirty Beasts
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Burglar Bill
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Dogger
  • Meg and Mog
  • Storm Boy
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw ...more
More about Enid Blyton...

The Faraway Tree (4 books)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Up the Faraway Tree
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)

“I don't believe in things like that - fairies or brownies or magic or anything. It's old-fashioned.'
'Well, we must be jolly old-fashioned then,' said Bessie. 'Because we not only believe in the Faraway Tree and love our funny friends there, but we go to see them too - and we visit the lands at the top of the Tree as well!”
61 likes