Start by marking “Mad at Miles: A Blackwoman's Guide to Truth” as Want to Read:
Mad at Miles: A Blackwoman's Guide to Truth

Mad at Miles: A Blackwoman's Guide to Truth

Unknown Binding, 64 pages
Published January 1st 1990 by Cleage Group Publication

To ask other readers questions about Mad at Miles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad at Miles

Kathy
Nov 02, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
I cannot put this book down. In a season of lifeless novels and low-level stereotypical characters, this book is a pleasant distraction. I've known about Pearl Cleage and her books for many years but had never read Mad at Miles. This book speaks of a stark reality that all of us have lived with at varying degrees. Whether you are a personal victim, know someone who is, or simply realize that you live in a world where this exists makes this book a must read - especially for young women so they ca ...more
Lori
Oct 03, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
This is great read. It certainly made me "mad at Miles" when I first read it way back in the day . . . as well as a big fan of Ms. Cleage's work (smile). I must admit, I still enjoy Miles' music, but I do so with the knowledge that he had some serious demons.
Shellie Rogers-Taylor
Aug 23, 2015 Shellie Rogers-Taylor rated it it was amazing
Yes, she mad me angry with Miles as well. I was taking classes at Spelman, trying to express my inner feminist, reading everything that would reinforce that ideal. I encountered Pearl Cleage, Dr. Gloria Wade Gayles and bell hooks, all at the same time. From the moment I first heard Kind of Blue, I had fallen in love with Miles Dewey Davis, III, my daddy loved Louis Armstrong, I loved Miles! Later, I would name my youngest son Miles. (Just shows, how much I loved Miles). Later, Michael Jackson an ...more
Cassandria
Aug 19, 2012 Cassandria rated it really liked it
This is a book I read in the 90's to understand the relationships between black men and women. Pearl discusses the secrets of abuse between black men and women. I feel that it was opening a dialogue that women of color at times hate to face. We as group are effected by racism and how it controls the relationships between us. Anger and rage are suppressed animals that we as people don't really learn how to manage in our lives. Expression of love in Black families are often ignored. I feel that th ...more
May Santiago
Jul 25, 2007 May Santiago rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loved Miles
My love of music and miles made me read this book. I have to say that the things I learned of miles and his abuse of women or (his woman) was a bit too much for me to take. I loved his music, I loved him for creating it and to read about this abuse...well I had to step back and ask myself..Can I go on liking him and his music?
I still struggle with it today.
Melissa Andrews
Pearl Cleage has been one of my favorite authors, but I for some reason assumed she only wrote fiction. This book. Short and powerful - smacks you about. A very good friend of mine introduced me to Miles Davis by having me listen to Davis' iconic album - Kind of Blue>. Cleage opens her series of essays on black men's violence against black women with this quote:

"[Davis] is guilty of self-confessed violent crimes against women such that we should break his albums, burn his tapes and scratch up
Rosalind
Oct 08, 2014 Rosalind rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me look at artists like Miles Davis a little different. It also made me want to know more about him as a person. I love his music and always will, but I think the author makes a good point that in supporting the artist, we unknowingly supported his lifestyle or maybe validated it on some level. Shouldn't we be angry that Miles Davis abused women? Shouldn't we hold the same disappointment and disgust from his actions as we would our next door neighbor? Does it make it okay ...more
Zwena Gray
Sep 16, 2015 Zwena Gray rated it really liked it
This book is a very empowering book. I thought this book REALLY opens your eyes to the problems we are still having in today's society with sexism. I think this book is great for teenagers not only for young black women but, also, young black men. This book shows how much women are being enslaved not only physically but, also mentally. This book tells the stories of how we began this New culture for the disrespect of Black Women and how to protect yourself from being disrespected and abused.
Pamela Greer
Dec 18, 2008 Pamela Greer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a very short and thin book that finds Ms. Cleage sharing some very personal feelings centering on the disappointment of black women on the treatment received from black men. She focuses quite a bit of this on some things the jazz musician Miles Davis did to black women..Ie Cicely.
BMR, MSW, LSW
Aug 09, 2015 BMR, MSW, LSW rated it liked it
This was okay. I was already mad at Miles when I read it. LOL. I thought there would be more to this collection.
Katara
Jul 20, 2012 Katara rated it it was amazing
A life changing book I read at Spelman. Hearing her speak these words of power, wisdom and change impacted my world view. How can I support the very thing I abhor?
More of us need to be Mad at Miles!
Shirley
Jan 04, 2013 Shirley rated it really liked it
Good book. Still loves his music
Kimberly Martin
Kimberly Martin rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2012
Achsha Ashittey
Achsha Ashittey rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Janine
Janine rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Winsome
Winsome rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Lauree
Lauree rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Mwanawa Tarver
Mwanawa Tarver rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
Gail Cole
Gail Cole rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Artis
Artis rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2011
Savannah Clarke
Savannah Clarke rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2007
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2008
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Sheri
Sheri rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Aaron Overfield
Aaron Overfield rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
Jeanice
Jeanice rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2011
abdolla abdollay
abdolla abdollay rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Truth That Never Hurts: Writings on Race, Gender, and Freedom
  • 12 Angry Men: True Stories of Being a Black Man in America Today
  • Salvation: Black People and Love
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • Letters to an Incarcerated Brother: Encouragement, Hope, and Healing for Inmates and Their Loved Ones
  • The Education of Kevin Powell : A Boy's Journey into Manhood
  • Strong Inside: Perry Wallace and the Collision of Race and Sports in the South
  • More Beautiful and More Terrible: The Embrace and Transcendence of Racial Inequality in the United States
  • Covenant with Black America
  • On These Courts
  • This Life
  • The Bonus Army: An American Epic
  • The Seasons of Beento Blackbird
  • The Tragedy of the Moon
  • Men's Work: How to Stop the Violence That Tears Our Lives Apart
  • Origami Zoo: An Amazing Collection of Folded Paper Animals
  • Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl Cl
More about Pearl Cleage...