Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Gone to Texas engagingly tells the story of the Lone Star State, from the arrival of humans in the Panhandle more than 10,000 years ago to the opening of the twenty-first century. Focusing on the state's successive waves of immigrants, the book offers an inclusive view of the vast array of Texans who, often in conflict with each other and always in a struggle with the land...more
Published April 11th 2012 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published June 30th 2003)

Kin Pier
Mar 21, 2008 Kin Pier rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of Texas history
While I am somewhat biased as Mike Campbell was one of my graduate professors, this book is generally recognized as the definitive book on Texas history in general. It is not a novel and was not designed as such. It is informative and extremely well-written.
Laura Finger
I read this along with Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans to get an overview of German settlements in Texas. Campbell's work focuses on social history, and this was a good place to get my bearings.
Emily
Jul 16, 2009 Emily added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: really focused, interested people
This is taking me forever to read. I think I started it two years ago. I bought it because it covered TX history from the very beginning, when there were no whities on the continent, but now I'm wishing it wasn't so thorough. Interesting, though, of course.
Ryan Petty
Read this for a grad school class and really enjoyed it. my professor was a student of his, not that that makes much difference, but she was around while he was writing it and that helped us understand him better.
Kelly Harvey
I had to read this for a Texas History class and I actually found that it held my attention! I'm not a history buff but this was a good story with factual information that I both learned and enjoyed.
Stephanie Bonner
Terrific book about my home state! The history of Texas is so rich and interesting, and it makes me proud to be a Texan!
Ken
I read this several years ago and look forward to a second reading to look for interesting tangents to explore in other works.
Curtis Thetford
A little dry, but did what I wanted.. gave me a good background in the history of Texas going back to prehistoric times.
Kristan Anne
It's on my e-book list, waiting for this semester to end so I'll have time to dive into it.
Jorge
Interesting Texas history book. I'm reading it slowly, not finished yet.
Rhianon Huot
Essential reading for lovers of history, and especially for residents of Texas.
Heather Duff
It was my textbook for Texas History....it was pretty interesting
Bob
The absolute best survey of Texas history at this time!
Patrick Ritchie
Patrick Ritchie is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Rodrick Williams
Rodrick Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ramon
Ramon marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Myra
Myra marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Barbara Brannon
Barbara Brannon is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Wanda Brewster
Wanda Brewster marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Sam Houston and the American Southwest (Library of American Biography) An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821--1865 A Southern Community in Crisis: Harrison County, Texas, 1850-1880 Sam Houston and the American Southwest Wealth and Power in Antebellum Texas