Start by marking “Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State” as Want to Read:
Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

Gone to Texas: A History of the Lone Star State

Gone to Texas engagingly tells the story of the Lone Star State, from the arrival of humans in the Panhandle more than 10,000 years ago to the opening of the twenty-first century. Focusing on the state's successive waves of immigrants, the book offers an inclusive view of the vast array of Texans who, often in conflict with each other and always in a struggle with the land ...more
Published April 11th 2012 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published June 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gone to Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone to Texas

Kevin Bessey
Mar 13, 2015 Kevin Bessey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read and great overview of Texas history. I really enjoyed the way "Gone To Texas" was laid out and can appreciate many of the questions posed by Campbell.

GTT will be something that I'd like to re-read every year or so, and as a Texas Native could identify with much of what Campbell was writing about. I also enjoyed his cultural perspectives that offered a look at Texans and the Texas mystique.

From a people perspective, I also enjoyed at how Campbell spoke about the state's
Laura Finger
Jul 13, 2013 Laura Finger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this along with Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans to get an overview of German settlements in Texas. Campbell's work focuses on social history, and this was a good place to get my bearings.
Kin Pier
Mar 21, 2008 Kin Pier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of Texas history
Shelves: owned
While I am somewhat biased as Mike Campbell was one of my graduate professors, this book is generally recognized as the definitive book on Texas history in general. It is not a novel and was not designed as such. It is informative and extremely well-written.
Eric Kruger
Mar 27, 2016 Eric Kruger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great survey of absolutely everything you would want to know about the history of Texas, with a special focus on the political and social evolution of the state. It's dry at times, but draws the main characters well and left me with loads of knowledge.
Kelly Harvey
Jan 21, 2008 Kelly Harvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a Texas History class and I actually found that it held my attention! I'm not a history buff but this was a good story with factual information that I both learned and enjoyed.
Saffyre Falkenberg
What teacher makes you read a whole textbook for a summer session is my first question.
Neil Coulter
Sep 07, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, texas
When I moved to Dallas this year, I committed to really getting to know Texas. I don't want to merely take up space in this state; I want to understand it and enjoy it as much as I can. So one of the first things I did on my initial visit to the local public library was to find the "Texas history" shelf (976.4). I wanted to start with a general book covering the whole history of Texas, and on the shelf I found Gone to Texas, by Randolph B. Campbell, and Passionate Nation, by James L. Haley. Not ...more
Emily
Oct 07, 2007 Emily added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: really focused, interested people
This is taking me forever to read. I think I started it two years ago. I bought it because it covered TX history from the very beginning, when there were no whities on the continent, but now I'm wishing it wasn't so thorough. Interesting, though, of course.
Ryan Petty
Dec 02, 2011 Ryan Petty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a grad school class and really enjoyed it. my professor was a student of his, not that that makes much difference, but she was around while he was writing it and that helped us understand him better.
Jorge
Nov 10, 2008 Jorge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Texas history book. I'm reading it slowly, not finished yet.
Rhianon Huot
May 22, 2012 Rhianon Huot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for lovers of history, and especially for residents of Texas.
Ken
I read this several years ago and look forward to a second close reading to look for interesting tangents to explore in other works.
Macen
Jan 16, 2015 Macen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book on the history of Texas.
Bob
Dec 06, 2011 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The absolute best survey of Texas history at this time!
David Chaney
Dec 29, 2014 David Chaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The quintessential book of Texas history.
Stephanie Bonner
Terrific book about my home state! The history of Texas is so rich and interesting, and it makes me proud to be a Texan!
Curtis Thetford
Jul 09, 2013 Curtis Thetford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dry, but did what I wanted.. gave me a good background in the history of Texas going back to prehistoric times.
Heather Duff
Dec 07, 2009 Heather Duff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased-books
It was my textbook for Texas History....it was pretty interesting
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2007
Cor
Cor rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Luther Goslee
Luther Goslee rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Virginia
Virginia rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2010
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Claire Herndon
Claire Herndon rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Cheyanne Young
Cheyanne Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Charles Sowell
Charles Sowell rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Jacob Brune
Jacob Brune rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Vivian Tenuta
Vivian Tenuta rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans
  • The Cousins' Wars: Religion, Politics, and the Triumph of Anglo-America
  • City on Fire: The Forgotten Disaster That Devastated a Town and Ignited a Landmark Legal Battle
  • Blood Struggle: The Rise of Modern Indian Nations
  • The Big Rich: The Rise and Fall of the Greatest Texas Oil Fortunes
  • The Plantation Mistress
  • The Course of Empire
  • Lone Star Nation: How a Ragged Army of Volunteers Won the Battle for Texas Independence - And Changed America
  • A Great and Noble Scheme: The Tragic Story of the Expulsion of the French Acadians from their American Homeland
  • The American Home Front: 1941-1942