Start by marking “Disloyal Mothers and Scurrilous Citizens: Women and Subversion During World War I” as Want to Read:

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  7 Ratings  ·  1 Review
Kennedy's unique study explores the arrests, trials, and defenses of women charged under the Wartime Emergency Laws passed soon after the U.S. entered WWI. These trials became important arenas in which women's relationships and obligations to national security were contested and defined.
Published September 1st 1999 by Indiana University Press

To ask other readers questions about Disloyal Mothers and Scurrilous Citizens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disloyal Mothers and Scurrilous Citizens

Becky
Feb 10, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Such a fascinating book! It discusses the Wartime Emergency Laws for WWI (sedition/espionage) and the women who got prosecuted for being anti-war. I love the concept of "republican womanhood" where women were just viewed to produce and raise soldiers for the country. Its so creepy our country reduced the image of women to their basic function. Hopefully this concept never gets applied again during wartime.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jason Weekley
Jason Weekley marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Kath Dueball
Kath Dueball rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Regan
Regan rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2013
Jennifer Adams
Jennifer Adams rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jan 05, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Adriana
Adriana rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Meen
Meen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2011
Pbwritr
Pbwritr marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2009