The Clansman

The Clansman (The Reconstruction Trilogy #2)

2.45 of 5 stars 2.45  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  21 reviews
" The year was 1865. With the close of the Civil War, there began for the South, an era of even greater turmoil. In The Clansman, his controversial 1905 novel, later the basis of the motion picture The Birth of a Nation, Thomas Dixon, describes the social, political, and economic disintegration that plagued the South during Reconstruction, depicting the rise of the Ku Klux...more
Paperback
Published December 31st 1970 by University Press of Kentucky (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Clansman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clansman

Werner
Jul 12, 2008 Werner rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Not recommended --except to recycled paper dealers!
The good discussion one of my comments sparked about the misguided ways some writers treat the subject of rape brought to mind this piece of dreck, which I read back at a time when I had much more morbid curiosity in my reading tastes than I do now (obviously, I read an older edition). Dixon was a vile racist; in this novel, the Klan are portrayed as heroes, and virtually all of the black characters are depicted in a highly derogatory fashion --the one exception being a former slave who's presen...more
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
One of my first, and still favorite, silent films is The Birth of a Nation, and I read this book for HS Freshman English class after I saw the movie. My enthusiasm for silent movies probably went way over those kids' heads and they no doubt thought me an out-and-out racist. Hah.

Just as the movie is a rip-roaring melodrama with an overall atrocious sentiment, so is the novel. It really is a perfect book to get into the mindset of the die-hard Lost Cause movement that got a major shot in the arm w...more
Alexis
Racist. Boring. And rambling.

From this book I learned that vengeance is only acceptable when a White man on a horse carries it out. For a flat footed Black hooligan to carry it out against men who enslaved him for years is just wrong.

This book was unjustifiable bullsh!t. I would burn it if it wasn't stored on my beloved tablet.

I've read a lot of books by old White men, written during slavery days or shortly thereafter. None compared to this in racist content.

I wonder how Dixon would feel tod...more
Peyton Smith
The quintessential piece of Lost Cause propaganda. This novel is full of racial stereotypes and overt prejudices against "the North." The only thing that offers this book merit is that it stands as a perfect glimpse into the mind of a Southerner in the early 1900s... But, if you want that your time would be better spent reading Faulkner.
Thara
Aug 30, 2007 Thara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to read racist social history.
Chill out, I'm reading it for class.
Patricia Dietz
The author of this book lived through the post-Civil War Reconstruction period in the south. Laying aside his personal hatred and profound contempt for blacks (if that's possible, as the book is full of it)a few things stood out for me. One was the extent to which, back in those days, women truly were the possessions of their male relatives to the point where their husbands, fathers or brothers would literally rather put a bullet through the woman's head than permit her to shame herself or the f...more
Brian
Without a doubt the worst book I've ever read. Had I not had to read this for a college course, I would have not been able to finish it. Absolutely atrocious.
John
Despite all the controversy surrounding this book and the film, "Birth of A Nation," the Clansman is a great historcal read.
Anthony
July 10, 2013
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan by Thomas Dixon Jr.

This is an historical novel by a Southerner attempting to justify the need and rise of the Klu Klux Clan written in 1905, forty years after the Civil War. His story revolves around some of the truly unintended consequences of reconstruction, hijacked by vindictive Northern politicians and greedy profiteers.

Several reviewers brand the author a “vile racist” and a “White Suprema...more
Jim Booth
"A controversial book even in its own time, Dixon's novel reflects two great Southern traditions: storytelling and demagoguery." - from my review

See the full review at www.newsoutherngentleman.wordpress.com - link at my Goodreads page. Thanks for stopping by! :-)
Tana
Pretty much what you would expect from an early 20th century text with the subtitle: "An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan."
Dawn Wells
Very over the top book on racism, north vs south, powerless women and the birth of the KKK. Not worth even one star the author is not an interesting writer. Everything was so over dramatized in the book you couldn't become engaged with the story. What is amazing is the fact that there is still a KKK and though they don't represent as many as they take credit for there is a following of new believers. Will we ever move beyond the hate?
Jamie
Unfortunately, although the political and social ideas behind this book are despicable, it is nonetheless well written. It is definitely worth reading, if only just to get an idea about what drove this early white-supremist movement. It is not propaganda for the Klu Klux Klan, but rather a dual love story based around a culture and from a perspective that supported the same ideals.
Lynn
I realize the subject matter of this book will anger me, but I suspect it's one of the most accurate depictions of the extremely violent racism of the south that prompted the formation of the KKK. For that reason I would like to read it and become a bit better informed.
Read for Race in the 19th Century class. The political stuff was strangely more maudlin than the romantic plotline. The writing is basically the equivalent of a modern-day bestseller, but with a whole lot of racist propaganda behind it.
John
The birth of a nation, end of civil war, reconstuction of south or distruction of same. Listen, this is a novel, ok, a very well written novel. Thomas Dixon knows how to write or knew i guess i should say.
☯Bettie☯
Carly Johnson
Jim Crow era. Very, very intense read.
Desiree Mccave
A good study of a time period.
Mallory Kee
Mallory Kee is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Zach Lee
Zach Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Elyse Bontrager
Elyse Bontrager marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Big-al Wheat
Big-al Wheat marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Christina Packard
Christina Packard marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brigid Farrell
Brigid Farrell marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
This is the white supremacist novelist.
More about Thomas Dixon Jr....
The Leopard's Spots The Foolish Virgin The Southerner (a Romance of the Real Lincoln) The Traitor The One Woman