Start by marking “Captain” as Want to Read:

Read Book

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Thomas Block has created "Captain" - his most ambitious, intricate and action-packed aviation tale yet . It is a chilling and all-too-real story about a routine Trans-Atlantic airline flight that suddenly turns absolutely insane. In the doomed airliner's cockpit, inside the passenger cabin and on the ground, a complex array of characters have been propelled at jet speed in ...more
Published April 7th 2012 (first published March 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Captain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain

Lisa Rostocki
Aug 13, 2012 Lisa Rostocki rated it really liked it
I received won this book from Goodreads.
This book was really good. I enjoyed the plot lines and how many different stories were woven together. Even though the actual plane ride was the most suspenseful the rest of the characters in the book were interesting as well.

Although I really don't know anything about planes except being a casual passenger I could get a feel for how the pilots in the book were struggling to get through this experience. I was very interested throughout the whole story.

I w
Dawn Whidden
Jan 10, 2013 Dawn Whidden rated it it was amazing
JUST STARTED and CANNOT put it down...
I have been so hungry for a good book and the last two ( my favorite authors, so disappointed me.) I am so glad to find a new author to invest my time in.

If you have read NELSON DEMILLE and enjoyed him ( well that is redundant isn't it? Never met anyone who read DeMille and didn't rave about him) you will recognize Thomas Block as being the co author of MAYDAY.
SO far this book is as great as MAYDAY and I am sure I will purchasing more of Mr. Block IN THE FU
Wayne
Jun 03, 2012 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aviation
Definately one of the best aviation-related books I have read. Fast-paced action once you're past the first few chapters that introduce the main characters. Not surprisingly, the actions of the airline executives and government agencies are more focused on covering their asses rather than on the plight of the stricken aircraft and her passengers and crew. Heroic and unconventional actions by experienced, seasoned pilots faced with out-of-control computer automation.
Michael
Aug 16, 2015 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author is or was an airline captain, so he really should have known better. This book is just full of completely implausible situations and propositions, ranging from hypothetical labor issues to a bizarre, fictional version of the Boeing 767 with some very strange aeronautical behavior. As a frequent flyer I expected to enjoy this greatly, but I was constantly jarred out of the story with stuff the author had either gotten wrong or simply made up. There are many great, dramatic novels about ...more
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I have always found flying an airplane fascinating, so i was excited to read Captain by Thomas Block. The story focuses on a retired captain who had lost his wife in an airplane crash. What was to be a trip home on Flight 3, ended up to be one that helped him let go of the guilt that had plagued him since the death of his wife. The story jumps from the drama in the airplane, to the drama in the control room as well as the management of the airlines. It took me some time to adjust to the change b ...more
Wendi
Aug 28, 2012 Wendi rated it really liked it
I found Captain by Thomas Block to be a very engaging and engrossing story. I know next to nothing about aviation, short of the few flights we take every now and then, so I am certainly not speaking from any type of expert point-of-view - that is for the author, who retired as an airline pilot with a lot of experience.

This book gives readers an inside look at some of the possible situations being faced by today's airline pilots, crews, companies and passengers.

Thomas Block created some wonderful
Ruth Hill
Aug 17, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Are you ready for one of the wildest rides of your life? This book was incredible! When I began reading it, I thought I might be bored with the book. After all, what on earth do I know about airplanes. And, yes, some of this book is technical, and I did not understand all of those sections. But you know what? I did not matter! This book was filled with such nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat action that I almost could not put it down.

The characters were quite intriguing. There was a lot more going f
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Thomas Block

When you combine a runaway plane, a delusional co-pilot, an unscrupulous Board of Directors, a reporter after the story, and a retired airline pilot you get Captain! Thomas Block has created an intense setting that will hold you riveted until the very end.

Trans-Atlantic Airlines has a secret that is about to be exposed and you are about to discover what that secret is....

The company is about to be sold off those only a few people know this and someone has leaked this to Jen
Amber
Jul 25, 2012 Amber rated it liked it

Captain by Thomas Block is an aviation thriller. I found the book energetic and the plot quite believable. From Captain Jack to flight attendant Linda each character offers something to the book . A different perspective, a different story about the journey of Flight 3.

Flight 3 a Trans-Atlantic air flight begins quite normal. Normal does not last long on this flight. Very quickly things go from bad to worse. This Mama gripped her kindle for dear life as she lounged by the water park pool last w
Rob Slaven
Apr 13, 2013 Rob Slaven rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
As I almost always say at the beginning of every review, I received this book as part of a GoodReads drawing. Despite that kind consideration I will provide my utterly candid opinion below.

Many other reviewers have pointed out the dramatic aspects of this novel and I won't disagree with them. The story runs along the typical line of air disaster movies that were so popular in the 70's and 80's and is a reasonable example of such. The standard 'plot complications' that arise in the story are reas
Rae Ryans
Aug 02, 2012 Rae Ryans rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of suspense novels, though books I do enjoy contain this element in one form or another. For some this tidbit may not matter, but it is always a good idea to understand what the reviewer enjoys on a regular basis.

We are quickly introduced to the sides of aviation. Yes, sides. We see multiple point of views, all on the same situation. A flight on its way back to America has had both engines run away, an impossible scenario that today’s newer, by the book pilots can't wrap their
H.W. Bernard
Feb 07, 2013 H.W. Bernard rated it really liked it
Thomas Block spins a great yarn in CAPTAIN, an exciting, multi-faceted tale about a modern commercial airliner in dire trouble on a trans-Atlantic flight.

It’s a tale of old aviators vs. young, of experience vs. by-the-book. Of the fly-it-by-hand generation vs. the computer-reliant generation. It’s a story that highlights how much can go wrong when someone makes decisions based on only snippets of information, or on the basis of the bottom line instead of concern over people.

BUT. (Always one of
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 07, 2013 Kathleen Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
After reading this book I am not sure if I am going to get on an airplane again...seriously, this book was so descriptive of what can happen when human error is involved. Then there are computers that run everything and we know how a computer virus can really mess with stuff. So put those things together along with an airplane carrying 200+ passengers on a routine international flight and you have one scary situation.

There are pilots, flight attendants, owners of the airline, and a myriad of ot
Melissa Haggerty
Aug 10, 2012 Melissa Haggerty rated it really liked it
This will be the first book I have read in the aviation field. I think Thomas Block did an amazing job of giving information about aviation. I felt like I was learning so much at the same time as I was enjoying a good book. Captain was on wild ride! I was constantly on the edge waiting to see what would happen next.

I enjoyed all the different character views. Block wrote from so many characters' point of views that it was like a very complete story. You didn't just get one main character's way o
Dave
Nov 12, 2012 Dave rated it really liked it
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads offer.

Thomas Block obviously knows his stuff, both aviation and writing. I worked in the aviation industry for about seven years, despite that I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy a novel about aviation.

I have to say, I couldn't put it down. I read it in two sittings, and just when I thought I'd guessed at some of the plot points, Block threw in a twist or surprise. Well done. Block writes in a way that whether you've sat in a cockpit yourself or you've ne
Read Ng
Aug 07, 2012 Read Ng rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book for free from good reads. I probably would have left it on the shelf in the store from just glancing at the cover and title. You should not judge a book by its cover. Parts were fairly technical, but I liked the attention and logic of the situation. For the majority of readers, I would be concerned that they do not appreciate the work it takes to get these details correct. I thought the character development could have been better. It was not as suspenseful as it could have been. ...more
Linda B.D.
Mar 12, 2013 Linda B.D. rated it really liked it
I thought this was a time travel book! Not so. Also, not my usual book I would buy, but this was an adventure! Exciting, dangerous, thrilling ride. Highly recommended for anyone that knows anything about airplanes. I don't yet I really enjoyed this book.
Norbert Tschernitschek
Norbert Tschernitschek marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Mike Pacheco
Mike Pacheco marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Allen
Allen marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Wanda Mccants
Wanda Mccants rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Linda S. Holmes
Linda S. Holmes rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Debra Dick
Debra Dick rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
James A. Fournace
James A. Fournace rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Barry Gunn
Barry Gunn rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Patrick Ungaro
Patrick Ungaro rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Howard Lifshitz
Howard Lifshitz rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2015
  • Crater Lake: Battle for Wizard Island (Crater Lake, #1)
  • Down and Dead in Dixie
  • The Heir War (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1.2)
  • In a Flash
  • Peril in the Palace (Imagination Station, #3)
  • Saving Jackie K
  • Wrong Number
  • The Golden Flute (Adventures of Lilli and Zane, #1)
  • Priestess of the Eggstone
  • The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)
  • The Fragment
  • A Powerful Secret (The Worthington Destiny, #2)
  • Heartbreak Trail (Circle C Milestones #2)
  • Rogue Agents (Justin Hall, #5)
  • The Enchanted
  • The Last Temple
  • Feast for Thieves: A Rowdy Slater Novel
  • Back Before Dark (Code of Silence, #2)
Thomas Block has written a number of aviation-oriented novels, many which have gone on to acquire best-seller status in numerous countries. His novel writing began with the publication of "Mayday" in 1979. That novel was rewritten with his boyhood friend, novelist Nelson DeMille in 1998 and remains on DeMille's extensive backlist. "Mayday" became a CBS Movie of the Week in October, 2005.

Several of
More about Thomas Block...