Start by marking “Mechanimals” as Want to Read:
Mechanimals

Mechanimals

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When pigs fly!

There once was a farmer who had lots of animals that got swept away by a tornado. The twister left behind a mountain of scrap metal and machine parts. And a very sad farmer. When a tornado leaves a farmer with a heap of scrap metal and no animals, his neighbors are sure it's all over for him. But the determined farmer refuses to admit defeat. His plans are bi
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2007 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mechanimals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mechanimals

Michelle McBeth
This book has wonderful illustrations and a good message of "When things go badly, think out of the box and figure out how to get back on top." That is exactly what the farmer did when a tornado swept through and took everything while leaving behind a pile of scraps. The farmer used those scraps to rebuild his life.

Kids will love the quirky mechanical animals.

My only negative comments are 1)about the illustrations. The author uses a scratching style perhaps to age the picture. It causes the pict
Megan B
Maybe it was my mood, but I quite liked this! Short, sweet and silly. My kids loved it.
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Nowadays one can find compilations of scrap materials which go under the name of “modern art” in world famous galleries. So it should come as no surprise when an inspired farmer declares that he will turn a mountain of junk metal and machine parts, which were left in the wake of a tornado, into a masterpiece. “When pigs fly," his neighbours mock, but he is not deterred. The farmer constructs robots to replace the animals which perished in the storm. Each robot has been built to do a special chor ...more
Kristi Bernard
There is an old saying that sums up things pretty well, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” In the case of one particular old farmer, when life gave him a big, windy and horrible tornado that swept everything away, he made mechanimals. When a twister blows through a small farm community it leaves a humongous mess of scrap metal and dust. But, this little farmer is determined to make a master piece out of the left over mess. His neighbors didn't have a lot of faith in him. Their comment ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Simple story with interesting, detailed illustrations. Could lead into a great ELA assignment where students create their own mechanimal and write about it.
Jillian
The story and the illustrations did not really appeal to me. Won't seek this one out again.
Jeanne Mcpeak
When a farmer has his animals swept away bu a tornado, he decides to create animal helpers made from the scrap metal left behind by the storm. This short story follows the farmer as he creates super strong baby chicks, a sheep with a steel wool coat, and a flying pig. The illustrations are very funny and accompany the story well.
MissInformation
A farmer whose farm has been reduced to rubble by a tornado decides to use the pieces to build new farm animals (with talents unique to the mechanical creations). Fun. Reminds me of the Tin Forest, though not as enchanting.) With pencil and watercolor illustrations.
Lisa
The art was terrific and the premise was spot-on. I anticpated a clever ending, or at least one in which a problem got solved. Unfortunately,it fell flat and became a one-joke book (and that joke wasn't fresh or funny.)
I really wanted to like this one.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Wonderful, folksy illustrations from Canadian Chris Tougas. A very inventive farmer loses all his animals to a tornado. He comes up with a creative solution to build up his farm again. Fun.
Paula
"There was a farmer who had lots of animals... that got swept away by a tornado. The twister left behind a mountain of scrap metal and machine parts. And a very sad farmer..."--Jacket.
Catherine
A hilarious, original story about a farmer who loses all his animals in a tornado, but decides to build a menagerie of robot animals from all the debris.
Kaulin
I gave this book 5 stars because it has a tornado in it. "When pigs fly" -- so funny!
Edward Sullivan
An inventive farmer does some extreme recycling. Short, silly and fun.
Junnigha
Haha it was funny!
the author and illustrator came to our school!!!!
Mary
Sweet and creative. I especially loved the very last illustration.
Carrie Gelson
Can't wait to work this into an art lesson. Fun!
Elsa
Jul 27, 2012 Elsa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
Very cute!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dojo Daycare Art's Supplies The Hungry Pig: Board Book The Dizzy Duck The Silly Sheep