Domu: A Child's Dream

Domu: A Child's Dream (Domu: A Child's Dream #1-3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Old Cho, a disturbed old man with psychic powers, takes control of an apartment complex and causes the tenants to kill themselves or others, but is finally challenged by Etsuko, a young girl with her own psychic talents.
Published August 21st 2001 by Dark Horse (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Domu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domu

Duncan Lee
If there is anything that I learn about reading mangas, that there is always one title that stands out among the rest from the creator. For me, one of my personal favorite from Katsuhiro Otomo has always been Domu: A Child's Dream.

Domu is a simple, gripping dark-tale that was drawn and written in a cinematic way that let your eyes follow panel by panel in such a way how a director intends the audience to see his movie as it was meant to be. It started off with a mystery that leads to murder and...more
Jason
To many Otomo's Akira is the absolute swan song of his career--& they would not be wrong. I would find it hard to argue because I too am in awe of it.

But my heart belongs to Domu: A Child's Dream. To me, it is Otomo's true masterpiece. It would be the forerunner to Akira--the "shades of things to come" & a glimpse into the imagination that would one day create a graphic novel epic to rival all others. It is a deeply moving piece of work that has inspired me throughout all my creative imp...more
Nate D
An eerie noir set in a sprawling housing complex, building into a conflagration of battling wills. It's the prior work by the author/illustrator of Akira, and even though I've only seen the film version of that one, it shows, especially in the huge, cinematic confrontation sequences. At its strongest in its contexts: the housing complex is rendered in mind-bogglingly perfect architectural detail, fully conveying the inhuman scale of the place, even as the lives of a huge cast of residents are sk...more
William Clemens
I really enjoyed this book.

A series of strange murders leads police to begin investigating what should be your typical apartment building. As the police get closer to finding the killer, they discover that the murders and this building are anything but typical. The books build up to an all out psychic war between two powerful persons, filled with blood and gore and destruction.

The plot is fairly simple and there aren't really any big surprises. but the carnage and destruction is so over the top...more
Reuben Negron
What can I say about Otomo's Domu - it's quite simply one of the best graphic fictions I have ever read. The art is so meticulously detailed. Each panel reads like a movie still, pushing the narrative along at Otomo's undulating pace. The story - a deceptively simple murder mystery is so subtly revealed, so elegantly told that it reads like visual poetry. Being an artist I've learned much from reading Domu over and over. It's a grand example of the potential comics can reach. Everyone, comics fa...more
Erica Chen
Arminzerella
Abel
Genial. No estoy acostumbrado a leer manga con temática adulta (y hace muuuucho que leí el último con temática "juvenil") y sólo vi la película Akira cuando peque, pero Pesadillas es excelente. A veces me perdía un poco ya que el desarrollo no es 100% fluido, pero es uno el que tien que ir dandole cadencia al relato.

Excelentes ilustraciones y una historia que me la imaginaba en constante movimiento.
Pranay
Great story and creepy art!

One hell of a creepy story that will shake the reader up. Loved the art - Otomo makes it sinister and larger than life.

The Plot: In a huge building complex strange deaths are occurring since the last two years. The police are clueless and at their wits end. An senile old man with mental powers and brain of a child is creating havoc and killing people for fun. A new family moves there and a young girl with equally great powers will face the old man and try and stop h...more
Philippe Lhoste
Quand Akira a été publié en anglais, je me suis intéressé à Katsuhiro Otomo, et j'ai acheté ses anciens manga (en plus d'Akira, bien sûr), en japonais puisqu'il n'y avait rien d'autre. Parmi eux, Dômu, impressionnant même si on ne maîtrise pas la langue (voir plus bas) et montrant plein de thèmes développés dans Akira (pouvoirs psychiques, destruction massive, etc.).

En fait, les dialogues apportent peu : l'auteur fait surtout dans le naturaliste, bavardages ordinaires de locataires d'HLM, suppos...more
Camille
This is probably the first manga I've enjoyed. Usually, the stories are too fluffy and the illustrations too drab, but this is an intriguing, gripping tale for which the grim black-and-white drawings are perfectly appropriate.
Damon
Great. For Otomo being one of the most influential artists working in manga, there's surprisingly little of his stuff available in the US. I don't know why it took me so long to read this.
There's a lot of really obvious similarities to Akira, I think, but the story works pretty well on its own here. My only complaint would be that there's a lot of stuff going on that doesn't really read as fully fleshed-out. I think that making the story a bit longer, adding in some more background in places, wo...more
Jack Zhao
What a classic. Both the illustration and the story are superb.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Great (and famous) horror/fantasy manga. It is alike movie in pictures! It reminds me on books of Koji Suzuki (The Ring and his sequels, book of short stories Dark Water)- this is much older, also it may be influence for him.
It is seinen manga (by male author), not shojo or josei, also no cute or beautiful pictures. But one young policeman is very hadsome! And it has clearly great influence on famous BL manga Banana Fish, both in art and in plot. I admire it!
But the end is nothing special, also...more
La Revistería Comics
Dulces sueños para aquellos que se animen a adentrarse en las Pesadillas de Otomo.
Emily Burkman
Pure eye candy.

A horror story that pares off all the excesses of plot and character development and goes right for the kill. Dangerous mystical old man and an even more dangerous little girl turn a Tokyo public housing project into the scene of their battle royal. Lots of dead people. Excellent art that grabs you by the seat of your pants and then flings you off the side of a concrete wall.
Julie
Oct 16, 2013 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I am not usually a fan of a lot of manga or japanimation stuff, but this story is intriguing to me. I knew right away the culprit was someone in the building and was surprised who it turned out to be. A great beginning to a story since the hero, the girl who can challenge the mad evil protaginist, shows up near the end of this book. I look forward to reading the next one.
Gurra
Just an excellent story. It bothered me that the english translator had put in two references that are newer than the story. One goes something like "Lets call Ghostbusters" and the other one "Go go power rangers". Ghostbusters was released in 1983 and Power Rangers in 1993 or 1994, it doesnt affect the overall experience, but I think it is a little sloppy.
Charliesabers
A short story written by the emminent Katsuhiro Otomo, Domu chronicles a series of deaths and mysteries on a low class apartment complex in Japan, product of a mysterious force that's been silently operating in the area. The police, psychics and the inhabitants of the place clash in the interesting, fast paced and expertly drawn story.
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
In my opinion this is one of the few great works in the field of Graphic Novels. The illustrations are well drawn, almost like a film storyboard, and visually exciting whilst the storyline has a menace to it that grips one throughout. This isn't Manga - it's literature.
Joe Garcia
Great short story by Otomo, though not as memorable as Akira it has great artwork and a memorable fight scene. Lack of character development though was sore as I would of liked to know more on these characters but overall it's a short fun read.
Federiken Masters
Otra semillita para Akira. Quizás lo que menos me gustó de lo poco que llevo leído de Otomo hasta ahora, pero eso no quita que es un muy buen cómic que se va terminar ganando una relectura cuando me dé el bolsillo para comprármelo.
Nick
Nice, but not as nice as Akira. Granted its very similar to Akira with the destructive telekinetic child/child like characters. This reminds me of a highly cinematic version of a horror/noir type story which would run in Weird Tales.
Elaine
I got this book in english when I was visiting my family in Japan. I think it's a wonderful book that opened up my imagination a little bit more. It's not as epic as Akira, of course, but definitely a must-read.
Jason Alderson
Great story, excellent art. This precursor to Akira give a glimpse into the madness that psionics could have to deal with if left unchecked for too long. A promising story that doesn't leave you feeling flat.
Seth
While this story doesn't quite rate with Akira, which is practically impossible given the scope of that story, Otomo's artwork is just incredible as usual. I re-read this and liked it much more the second time around.
Danics
Oct 22, 2012 Danics rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bd
A mysterious and intense thriller, full of action. A masterpiece by Katsuhiro Otomo, set in 1980's Tokyo, where, in a new neighborhood, strange events start happening. The police starts investigating.
Aurelio Ippandoza
Brilliant paranormal/horror manga.the art style was unique,and suited the storyline.I had read in the intro that this comic won a SF award for novels in Japan(it was admired even though it wasn't a novel).
Alexander
I didn't find it as good as Akira but all things considered I really enjoyed it. I much prefer the way they translate this guys stuff compared to normal. Artwork was absolutely fantastic.
Sylphær
The details of the comics are breath-taking. Just like Otomo's manga and animation. It truly tells a great story with pictures and it's worth more than a thousand words!
  • Dororo, Vol. 1
  • Tekkon Kinkreet: Black and White
  • Planetes, Book 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 1
  • Gyo, Vol. 2
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
  • What a Wonderful World!, Volume 1
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • Cinema Panopticum
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 2 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #2)
  • Gon: Volume 1 (Gon)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01: Rusty Angel
  • Moebius 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 1 (The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, #1)
  • Blame!, Vol. 1
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
Katsuhiro Otomo (大友 克洋, Otomo Katsuhiro) is a Japanese manga artist, film director, and screenwriter. He is perhaps best known for being the creator of the manga Akira and its anime adaptation, which are extremely famous and influential. Otomo has also directed several live-action films, such as the recent 2006 feature film adaptation of the Mushishi manga.

Katsuhiro Otomo was born in the former to...more
More about Katsuhiro Otomo...
Akira, Vol. 1 (Akira, #1) Akira, Vol. 2 (Akira, #2) Akira, Vol. 5 (Akira, #5) Akira, Vol. 3 (Akira, #3) Akira, Vol. 4 (Akira, #4)