Start by marking “Life & Games of Mikhail Tal” as Want to Read:
Life & Games of Mikhail Tal

Life & Games of Mikhail Tal

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Title: The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal Publisher: Everyman Chess Publication Date: 1997 Binding: Paperback
Published July 1st 1997 by Everyman Chess (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Life & Games of Mikhail Tal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life & Games of Mikhail Tal

notgettingenough
I can't believe that I left home some time without this book. It's worth more than five stars.

The stories are the best. ‘Why did you play this move when it was so clearly refuted in…’ ‘Well, I was reading the latest 64 in the bath, got to this variation at the bottom of the page and thought, yes, that will do, I’ll play that today. Jumped up, grabbed a towel and…I never did turn the page.’ Or the famous hippopotamus story:

Journalist: It might be inconvenient to interrupt our profound discussion
Emir Never
Chess these days. You study an opening, work on the details--analyze, analyze--if a position looks so thorny and your grasp of it is suspect, you unleash the Hydra (engine) on it, to get through the maze, remove the cobwebs, assure yourself you won't fall on a trap. It gets dreary and tiresome.

I've read this book many times to remind myself of the beauty of the game of chess. Tal was an artist over the board, his vision was magnificent, his combinations sometimes reel the mind and he seemed to h
Sergei Moska
Assigning a number of stars to a given book is tricky, since there are so many dimensions to consider. Books can be

1)useful
2)"important" within their field
3)of high quality
4)appealing in general
5)appealing to the reviewer, even if he knows that it's an idiosyncratic taste

Then you get Life and Games of Mikhail Tal, which solves the problem by being a five-star book in each category. If going over chess games has any appeal to you whatsoever, you will probably really like this book. Chess books a
Wallace
This is the best chess biography I've ever read. Tal was madly in love with chess, and his enthusiasm for the game is apparent in every page of this love story. You can't help but want to play after reading his infectious game annotations. You want to sacrifice on knight on e6 as soon as possible. Like any good teacher, Tal makes you excited about the subject. When you finish reading, you want to go play.

Tal constantly found a way to inject life into stale, technical positions. He often made the
Serge Pierro
I don't think that there was ever a more exciting chess player than Mikail Tal. His games were a maelstrom of creativity that would explode with sound (and unsound!) sacrifices that unnerved many of his opponents. And who could forget "The Gaze"! Some of the most interesting games ever played are contained in this volume, along with some great stories by Tal himself.
John Puusa
One of the best chess books every written. Former World Chess Champion Mikhail N. Tal takes on the role of both interviewer and interviewee in this unique autobiographical work. The book includes both annotated and unannotated chess games from both the high and low points of Tal's career.
Stian
I spent a long time reading this book, making sure I squeezed every drop of pleasure from it, so to say. And it did not disappoint.

Tal is by far my favourite player (alongside Morozevich, whose style is very similar to Tal, but 'hampered' by modern opening preparation and computers) and it was a pleasure to sit down and play through his games. About half the games I played through over the board myself, setting up the positions and so on. I tried to look at a lot of positions as puzzles, and mo
Clintweathers
Tal.

This guy was scary smart and ferocious across the board.

Just grab a board and set, a copy of this book, and don't make any plans for a few hours because you're going to be amazed at how fast time gooes by trying to figure out just how Mikhail Tall did this stuff.

You can keep Kasparov and all the modern masters, you can keep the positional guys and the old school romantics.

Tal was just no quarter given no quarter asked, and brilliant enough to back it all up.
Justin P
Witty and funny, Tal simultaneously gives an account of his chess career through 1975 while also giving us insightful analysis into some of his games. Stylized as a hypothetical conversation between himself and a "journalist", Tal presents himself not as a genius and World Champion, but rather as a likeable, endearing human being to whom we can relate.
Michael
One of my all-time favorite reads. You really feel like you've streamed through living life. Even for a non-chess player, this book is a riveting tale and of course a classic.
Keith Halbert
Nov 23, 2010 Keith Halbert marked it as to-read
I've been trying to get through this for years...it's fantastic, just time-consuming as you need to play through the situations to really appreciate it.
Seth
One of the best chess books ever written. The games have the magic of Tal and the writing has his wit.
Kevin de Ataíde
Read this a long time ago. I'll have to dig it up again sometime.
Premkumar
chess is aweosome
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Virgil Bga
Virgil Bga marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Mhiartiana
Mhiartiana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Aonghas Van Sant
Aonghas Van Sant marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Ronald Clarke
Ronald Clarke marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Calinutzzz
Calinutzzz marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Swati
Swati marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Guilherme Larangeira
Guilherme Larangeira marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Chess Fundamentals, Revised
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Winning Chess Strategies, revised
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • The Mammoth Book of Chess. Graham Burgess
Tal-Botvinnik 1960 Attack with Mikhail Tal The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal Tal's Winning Chess Combinations: The Secrets of Winning Chess Combinations Described and Explained by the Russian Grandmaster Mikhail Tal Complete Games Of Mikail Tāl, 1936 1959

“I prefer to make my annotations 'hot on the heels', as it were, when the fortunes of battle, the worries, hopes and disappointments are still sufficiently fresh in my mind. Much as I would like to, I cannot say this about these few games which will be given below. In fact, if the annotator should begin to use phrases of the type: 'in reply to...I had worked out the following variation...', the reader will rightly say 'Grandmaster, you are showing off', since the 'oldest' of these games is now more than 25 years old, and even the 'newest' more than 20. Therefore, I would ask you not to regard the following 'stylised' annotations too severely. ” 3 likes