Start by marking “The Farthest Shore” as Want to Read:
The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  52,031 ratings  ·  754 reviews
Darkness threatens to overtake Earthsea: the world and its wizards are losing their magic. Despite being wearied with age, Ged Sparrowhawk — Archmage, wizard, and dragonlord — embarks on a daring, treacherous journey, accompanied by Enlad's young Prince Arren, to discover the reasons behind this devastating pattern of loss. Together they will sail to the farthest reaches o ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 197 pages
Published June 1981 by Bantam Books (first published September 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Farthest Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farthest Shore

Brad
I started reading this to Miloš & Brontë at the beginning of March, and somewhere around May they lost interest.

I don't think I can blame Ursula K. LeGuin, at least not entirely. I was a big part of the problem. I struggled with this installment of The Earthsea Cycle, and that must have translated into the way I read this aloud, making it and me tough to listen to (never have the kids fallen asleep so often while I was reading. I usually have to tear myself away).

My problem is tough to pinc
Kaora
This one is between 3 and 4 stars for me, but I'm feeling generous so I'm giving it a 4.

All over Earthsea wizards are losing their magic, so Ged Sparrowhawk and Prince Arren embark on a quest to discover the source of the disappearing magic.

While this one again starts off rather slow as Le Guin builds the scene, and the action doesn't occur until the end, I'm stating to enjoy the world she has created more and more as it is slowly revealed.

I also enjoyed the characters a great deal more in this
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The Farthest Shore was written for tweens and teens, so if you just want a good fantasy full of adventure and daring and DRAGONS (the best part!), ignore all of the following and just enjoy.

This is a story the meaning of which will derive from the beliefs of the individual reader. Had I read it when I still held spiritual beliefs, I would doubtless have fit the story into a framework of religious allegory and symbolism. As I am now comfortable in my unbelief, I focused on the more concrete them
Apatt
“I would not ask a sick man to run a race,” said Sparrowhawk, “nor lay a stone on an overburdened back.” It was not clear whether he spoke of himself or of the world at large. Always his answers were grudging, hard to understand. There, thought Arren, lay the very heart of wizardry: to hint at mighty meanings while saying nothing at all, and to make doing nothing at all seem the very crown of wisdom."

There are surely better passages to quote than the above to encapsulate the meaning or theme o
J. Trott
People like to talk about "The Golden Compass" as the athiestic answer to C. S. Lewis' Narnia series. However Ursula Le Guin's series has a far better claim to this title. In these books, the most trenchant critiques of religion, and the best arguments for humanism are presented. In the first book, the greatest enemy is within the protagonist, who must name his darkest self in order to overcome. Old powers are present throughout, and fear is their power. In the second book we see this replayed, ...more
Jerzy
As usual with Le Guin's books, the flow of the plot is not the strong point. It's more about the sum of experiences and discussions that the characters have, if that makes any sense. So although this one has a more hackneyed plot than any other book of hers I've read, there are (as usual) quite a few really nice moments and deep insights. She spins out some more thoughts about balance and equilibrium, continuing the conversation from A Wizard of Earthsea. Here, Earthsea is being overrun by greyn ...more
Robert
Dan
Good story, bad prose.

When I was in high school, I read an Ursula K. Le Guin story in my Science Fiction Literature class. I found it to be difficult to read. I chalked that up to being young and a relatively inexperienced reader. I saw this book at a library book sale and picked it up to give it a try.

I discovered that being young an inexperienced had nothing to do with her stories being hard to read. She uses peculiar word order that confuses the meaning, missing or extra commas, excessive adv
Bryn
In the third of Ursula Le Guinn's Earthsea books, Sparrowhawk the mage is a much older, wiser man. We see him through the eyes of Arren - a Prince making the jouney from boy to man, and devoted to the mage. Magic is dying, and the two set out to discover what has gone wrong and try and save the world.

It's not just the magic being lost - all the joy, skill and art is leaving the world. Creativity, hope and inspiraiton are stripped away. I could not help but read this book and see parallels with m
vivliovision
Ο νεαρός γιός του Πρίγκιπα των Ενλάδων, ο Άρεν, καταφθάνει στην νήσο Ροκ κομίζοντας στους εννέα θεματοφύλακες των μαγικών τεχνών που διδάσκουν εκεί την πανάρχαια τέχνη, δυσάρεστα νέα. Ο Γέροντας Αρχιμάγιστρος Γκεν, ο Κοσμήτορας της Σχολής, θα διακρίνει στο πρόσωπο του παιδιού κάτι βαθύ και ελπιδοφόρο· την πιθανότητα της εκπλήρωσης μιας παλιάς, αλλά όχι ξεχασμένης, υπόσχεσης. Οι δυο τους θα βγουν μαζί στο Αρχιπέλαγος της Γαιοθάλασσας αναζητώντας τη βαθιά πληγή στο μεδούλι ενός κόσμου, που δεν είν ...more
Nikki
When I first read Earthsea, this was probably my least favourite book. Probably because throughout it the world I've started to love is dying and in pain. The pain isn't just the characters, it's the whole world; it's less a personal journey and of significance for the whole of the world. I mean, it wasn't like a Ged-gebbeth wasn't a big threat to the world, or finding the ring of Erreth-Akbe wasn't important, but the story in this world is all about the failing of the world -- not a single thin ...more
Florian Pekazh
Мрак е сковал Землемория в третата част от класическата поредица на Урсула ле Гуин, а един наш стар познайник ще се впусне в състезание срещу смъртта в името на доброто.

Години са минали от събитията в "Гробниците на Атуан" и Гед вече е възрастен мъж и може би най-силния жив магьосник. Величието му се сравнява с това на някои от най-легендарните герои, за които се споменаваше в първите две части. Сега, като върховен жрец, той все по-рядко има възможност да се впусне в приключенията, които така об
Cristen
When I picked up this series I never thought I'd be learning valuable life lessons from it. NEVER. But the author touches on some interesting subjects, like life and death and sacrifice. It's not as kid friendly as the first two. But still a well written and thought provoking story.

"Death and life are the same thing - like the two sides of my hand, the palm and the back. And still the palm and the back are not the same... They can be neither seperated, nor mixed."

"...when we crave power over li
Maree
It's a little strange, but as I was reading this book, I was thinking it would be the perfect thing to give to someone who was dying. It plays with the themes of being afraid of dying in a really interesting way and I liked it for that.

It also as a bit more ornate language than might be found in more current day books, but since reading Something Wicked This Way Comes, no book can really compare language-wise.

I've been slowly making my way through this series. I'm in no great hurry to read the n
Tevfik
Yerdeniz üçlemesinin son kitabıyla birlikte Ged'in Kahramanlıkları'nın Ursula'nın elinden çıkmış kısmı sona ermiş oldu.

Ursula K. Leguin, sadece iyi bir yazar değil, aynı zamanda ilham veren bir yazar. Romanlarında yarattığı dünyaların birer vatandaşı. Anlatıcı değil, anlattığı karakterlerin yoldaşı.

İtiraf edeyim: Ursula okuduktan sonra böyle bir gelişim romanı yazmaya ben de pek heveslendim. Mülksüzler'le başladığım Leguin maceramı Yer Deniz Üçlemesi'ni bitirerek sürdürüyorum. Sırada Karanlığın
Kenny
I really could not put this book down.
It has the same dream-like, otherworldly quality that all the earthsea books have. But this one enhances it even further with the strange dreams of Arren, the young prince. We once more meet Ged, but he's the old Archmage now, and embarks on his final quest, to find out why, and then stop magic from leaving the world.

Trying to comment on this book is like waking up from a dream and trying to write what you saw. It was thought provoking, touching on a search
Victor Hugo Kebbe
Another excellent book by Ursula K. Le Guin. Here she brings a more adult Ged/Sparrowhawk to the narrative, a fantastic unfolding of what she accomplished in the previous two books. You can notice the growth of the character Ged, now in his winter and on the edge of the land without sun.

In a similar manner to the second book, The Tombs of Atuan, Ged gets to the aid of another character, the immature and passionate Arren/Lebannen, teaching him important lessons about life and death.

The end of th
Ben Babcock
I love Ursula K. Le Guin’s first two Earthsea novels. A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan are among my two favourite fantasy novels, and together I think they form an essential duology that showcases some of the most compelling and truthful storytelling about identity and finding oneself. So it was with some trepidation that I read The Farthest Shore.

In the third Earthsea novel, magic is dying. Our protagonists are a much older, more experienced and more weary Ged, and the youthful and
Célia
O enredo de A Praia Mais Longínqua tem início cerca de 20 anos após os eventos que tiveram lugar no volume anterior. Vamos encontrar Gued já como Arquimago de Roke (uma espécie de feiticeiro-mor de Terramar), a receber uma visita do jovem Arren, que lhe traz a mensagem enviada por seu pai, na qual relata a existência de vários sinais a sul do território que mostram que a magia está a perder força e, na pior das hipóteses mesmo a desaparecer.

Gued decide partir e levar com ele Arren, não sabendo p
Althea Ann
All three books of the original Earthsea trilogy have always been right up there with my most favorite books of all time, but both when I was a child, and now, I thought that The Farthest Shore was the least strong of the three. However, I think I had different reasons for feeling that way now, than I did then.

I think that now, the main focus of the book worked better for me – the whole idea of dealing with the consequences of your own actions, as well as LeGuin’s conceptual idea of evil, and th
Clorush
For quite a while, I've spent my time in reading fantasy books. From The Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and Harry Potter, to Eragon, Percy Jackson, and Stardust. I have to say that Earthsea is really a wonderful addition to the world of fantasy. Though what makes Earthsea outstanding is not what I expected.

One thing that I can't believe is that this book is actually published in 1972, more than three decades ago, but is still in print today. As a matter of fact, my copy was from Simon Pulse, publish
Scott
After The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore falls a little bit flat. Le Guin maintains her formal, mythic voice, which I enjoy, as it gives her writing a sense of reverance and quietness.

The problem is, the plot of this one is sort of repetitive and plodding, and things she says about the overarching themes of life and death aren't especially new or different.

The ending was especially kind of lame.

It's still a worthy book, though. Just not the author's best.
Cintia
Este libro fue el que menos me gustó de la saga. Lo empecé a leer, después lo dejé, a pocos capítulos del final, y no lo retomé por meses. Finalmente, terminé. Y me dejó un sabor agridulce...

Gavilán me venía gustando bastante como personaje, pero en este decayó. Hubo algo en él que no me gustó esta vez. Lo único rescatable fue su sacrificio desinteresado, dando todo lo que tenía por salvar Terramar de un destino terrible... Pero en general, él, como persona, no me dejó muy contenta.

El libro en
Fox
Mar 20, 2015 Fox rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Recommended to Fox by: Jonas
Jonas had fond memories of this book trilogy growing up, and upon hearing that I'd never read them, decided to give me the original trilogy for Christmas. :)

The fantasy tropes are back in force.

It's funny how a book that fit so perfectly into the fantasy tropes in general still can be surprising. It's funny how well the trope was played upon, and how unsettling the "something is wrong but we don't know what" concept can be played with when you reveal as little as Ursula K. Le Guin does. Once mor
Natasha Whyte
Mary Catelli
And here the trilogy ends. Spoilers ahead for A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan.

It opens with a young prince, Arren, coming to the Archmage, the great and famous Sparrowhawk who brought back the Ring of Erreth-Akbe from the tombs -- also known as Ged. But not all is well. They have the Rune of Peace, but where is the king? And Arren tells of how the wizardry is losing power in his father's land. The wizard who should have cast the spell on the lambing could not do it, and Arren's fathe
Linda
When I first read this book, it really reminded me of old animated films I grew up on - namely the opening of 'The Last Unicorn' and 'Flight of the Dragons' - a rich, magical world in decay and I love that. The moment where Galadriel talks about how the power of Nenya etc will fade and she will "diminish, go into the west, and remain Galadriel" still resonates with me.

So this book, with its focus on the fading of magic (even dragons!) was right up my alley but somehow, it left me with the sense
Ted Child
In these days of Harry Potter and His Dark Materials, the Earthsea books are under-appreciated and might seem dated but I think that is a historical anomaly that will eventually rectify itself for no other reason than the uniqueness and subtle strength of these books. Le Guin writes her ideas into stories that are patient and calm. High fantasy might not seem like the best place to write about Taoism but Le Guin does it in her usual comfortable and confident fashion.
The Farthest Shore, along w
Patrícia
Este é o último volume da trilogia original de Terramar, série que granjeou a Ursula Le Guin um lugar incontestável na Fantasia, e que desde os finais dos anos 60 tem conquistado leitores por todo o mundo, sendo um marco na Literatura tão grande quanto O Senhor dos Anéis. Leitura obrigatória para todos aqueles que adoram Fantasia, dos mais pequenos aos mais experientes, esta é uma série que continuará a marcar gerações de leitores.
Este livro já devia estar lido à mais tempo, não fosse a falta de
Erik
Attempting to describe a great book is a bit like attempting to describe the beauty of a sunrise: It was red and stuff was glowing orange and yellow. It just doesn't translate. Which is an interesting thing to my mind because OF COURSE a sunset doesn't translate. It's photons and light beams and refraction and fire and energy, no mere words. But shouldn't a book? It IS mere words.

But it's not. It's the fatigue you feel at the end of a work day when you recline in your favorite chair and open the
Can I just read this one? 10 75 May 28, 2014 07:57PM
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • The Courts of Chaos
  • The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3)
  • The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • The Grey King (The Dark is Rising, #4)
  • Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2)
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1)
  • The Sword of the Lictor (The Book of the New Sun #3)
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #2)
  • The Innkeeper's Song
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...

Earthsea Cycle (6 books)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)
  • Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #5)
  • The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #6)
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2) The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4) The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle, #5) The Lathe of Heaven

“I do not care what comes after; I have seen the dragons on the wind of morning.” 153 likes
“A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it.” 99 likes