Start by marking “The Going to Bed Book” as Want to Read:
The Going to Bed Book

The Going to Bed Book

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  18,064 ratings  ·  369 reviews
Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been printed on thick board pages, and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published November 30th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Going to Bed Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Going to Bed Book

midnightfaerie
We can't get enough of Sandra Boynton's illustrations. Just so cute with the different animals that my kids like to guess and the rhyming is fun too. A little silly with the animals doing things like exercising before bed, but it just adds to the allure. My 5 yr old is a little past it, but enjoyed it immensely when he was younger, and now enjoys reading it to his younger brothers. A must have for any Boynton fan!
Chris
My two-year-old son and I have settled into a bedtime routine where we read Goodnight Moon and then we read this book. He loves when the animals brush and brush and brush their teeth and he loves when the boat rocks and rocks and rocks the animals to sleep but his favorite part is when they all go up...to exercise! That page never fails to get a belly laugh out of him.
Valerie
I should pass these along to another parent, but I am hopeful I will have a chance to read them to another generation of children.
Penny
A must for every new parent. Our family has it memorized. We love this book!
Karawan
I love the silliness of this book. Maybe it's the French literature major in me, recalling Ionesco and the theater of the absurd....

I love that the animals are on a boat. As random as it seems, it kind of makes me think of Noah's ark (even though they aren't in pairs). I love that when you think they're going upstairs to bed, they're really going up to exercise. Just something about the fact that you assume you know what's coming, only to turn the page and see something completely different! I c
Carly Wesley
The story is about various animals that watch the sunset, brush teeth, take bathes before going to sleep. They do this with the light of the moon. it shows things that kids can do before going to sleep. It can help with children's routines before going to sleep by watching the animals do things like scrub the tub and so on. It is simple and quick to read making it perfect for a bed time story to read to children that are hard to put to sleep.

The illustrations are silly and funny showing the ani
Anittah
Sarah Sammis
Sandra Boynton has written and illustrated around thirty children's books in her career. The Going to Bed Book is set on an ark (no sign of Noah, though) and follows the animals' bed time routine.

The animals watch the sunset before deciding to go to bed. Along with the usual things of taking a bath and brushing teeth, there is also night time exercise under the light of the moon.

Of course the book has Boynton's unique illustrations. Harriet and Sean enjoy her silly looking animals doing the same
Erica Nicol
My mother bought this board book for my son a few days before he was born and I'll never be able to review it with even the pretense of objectivity because of that. He was never able to read it, but it was the first book his little sister fell in love with (admittedly, she was most interested in it as something to chew on at first). The rhyming text and animal illustrations are great attention-holders, and it is now one of the books that she likes to "read" by herself. The size is perfect for li ...more
Brinstona
The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton starts out by saying "The sun has set not long ago" leading us to know it is almost bedtime. The kids then go downstairs to take a bath, and get into their pajamas, brush their teeth and then the book states " and when the moon is on the rise, they all go up to exercise".

The moment i read that I immediately believed this book was an awful children's book. A bedtime story book should be a sweet, calming and although it can be partially fun and exciting, it
Marissa
The book "The Going to Bed Book" is a book showing children the bedtime routine of a group of animals. The animals are all on a ship and go through brushing their teeth, exercising, and putting on pajamas to finally going to bed. This book, along with the authors other book, "Pajama Time", is a great book to read to children for bedtime--especially if they are the type of children who never want to willingly go to bed.
The illustrations in this book are all colorful. The animals aren't as bright
Liane Marie

Category: Boardbook

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: This sturdy boardbook is another delightful treasure from Sandra Boynton, author of “Hippos Go Berserk!” which received a 5 star rating on this blog. In “The Going to Bed Book,” our little animal friends prepare for bedtime on a boat.

Bilingual benefit: With wit and silliness, the book introduces English expressions for preparing for bedtime. As the book rhymes very well, it is fun to read out loud.

Availability in Israel: I found this boardbook in Stei
Merri Platt

The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton
This book is about animal children who have to go to bed. They go through many activities just to get to bed and it happens at the same time night after night. It takes place on an ark and it looks like they are located on Noah’s Ark.
This book has a song like cadence and it is so easy to read to little children and have them read it back to you. Because it is a song like cadence, the kids remember the words and it is easy for them to understand. It also ma
Brianna Mendenhall
The Going-To-Bed Book

The sun has set not long ago.
Now everybody goes below
to take a bath in one big tub
with soap all over—SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB!

This classic bedtime story is just right for winding down the day as a joyful, silly group of animals scrub scrub scrub in the tub, brush and brush and brush their teeth, and finally rock and rock and rock to sleep.

I gave this book a 5 star rating.

I adore the pictures in this story! They are fun and colorful, and I love that she used animals instead of peop
Bridget
The Going-To-Bed Book is a classic bedtime story that features a menagerie of ark animals going through their nightly routine before going to bed. They scrub in the tub, get into their pajamas; brush their teeth, exercise, and then rock to sleep. The Going-To-Bed Book appeals to small children mainly because of the simplistic rhymes, silly animals in funny situations, comforting story lines, and predictability.

My favorite part of the book is when all the animals crowd into the bathroom to brush
Alicia
This is simple and quick book, but he loves the ending and asks to read it over and over and over....he likes several of Sandra Boynton books.
Christine Watson
Picture Book/Board Book:
I probably could recite this board book by heart! This was a favorite of my children and we read it every night before bed for years! It's the story of a group of animals that are getting ready for bed. It follows their routine. It gets a bit silly in the middle with the animals exercising after their bath, but that part was always good for a laugh with my kids. It has a nice, calm ending. Themes in this book include friends and familiar routines. I think that the main pu
David
The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton looks at ten animals on a boat who prepare for bed by taking a bath, donning pajamas, brushing their teeth, exercising, saying goodnight, and rocking to sleep.

Boynton's bright illustrations add humor through the wide variety of animals preparing for bed. Animals shown are hippo, rabbit, rhino, bear, dog, cat, lion, pig, elephant and moose. Very silly touches like dog and rabbit in the wrong pajamas, all ten animals vigorously brushing their teeth, pig in a
Meagan
As my son turns six months old I am taking a moment to acknowledge some of the best read-alouds I have found for him as an infant. Right now I would say Sandra Boynton is basically the queen of the board books in our house. Like Barnyard Dance , this book is a rhymed poem about getting ready for bed. It has good pacing (fast and silly at the beginning, slowing down at the end). It is definitely one of our top few books right now.
Danelle
Here is another book that little ones will enjoy. This book can easily be added to any child's bedtime routine. My little one looked at the pictures. And enjoyed hearing this story over and over again. I would recommend this to any parent that has itty bitties in the house. Being that it is a board book it can withstand a lot of abuse and it is short so only a few minutes are required to read a good book to your child.
Drew Graham
All the animals on the boat are getting ready for bed, which means a thorough routine and a gently rocking goodnight.

I love a good goodnight book, and this one is already in regular rotation (along with the likes of Goodnight, Gorilla , Big Red Barn , and of course Goodnight Moon ). The routine is fun to read and follow (though I don't know why exercising comes SO close to crawling into bed), and of course the style and color are perfect for little readers. Something about the ending to this
Rosa Cline
This is an adorable board book bedtime book. It's main characters are animals on the ark (although there are no refrence to Noah's Ark or the Bible etc) But the animals on the ark go through all the motions of getting ready for bed and at the end the rock of the ark on the waves helps put them all to sleep. My 3 year old granddaughter smiled and enjoyed each page of this book.
Jacki
The Going to Bed Book is a picturebook for Nursery readers.

Sandra Boynton's rhyming verses offer a soothing sing-song story of animals getting ready for bed. This is one of my favorite bedtime books and my sons all memorized the lines and "read" the book with me.

Boynton's drawings are simple, but bright and very appealing to children and adults. The animals are somewhat cartoonish, but easily recognizable. Children can relate to the activities of bathing, toothbrushing and exercising. The ebook
Meg McGregor
Very cute and I am a fan. But why would the animals go up to exercise instead of read books in their bedtime routine?

Little ones will be reminded of their bedtime routines: taking a bath, hanging up towels, putting on their pajamas, and brushing their teeth.

But how can Ms. Boynton forgotten the next step: reading books to children before they fall asleep?
Emily Morris
This engaging little book is a recent favorite for bedtime and expresses some fun bedtime rituals aboard a ship full of animals. Boynton, as always, creates a rhyme with a charming beat that is only made even cuter by the dash of the unexpected. Illustrations are fun, and we can't help but love this shipfull of sleepy animals.
Professor
Boynton's books seem to specialize in cute and kind of fluffy without a terrible large amount of content. Which seems to be fine in my son's eyes, at least, so I'm willing to roll with it. At least it doesn't have text that reads like Misfits lyrics like some children's books about going to sleep I know.
Brittany
At this age (7 months), the pictures don't hold Alistair's attention. I was surprised the rhyming didn't either. If he was older I wouldn't want him following the bedtime routine in this book - exercising? Whaaaa? I liked the story though and will probably read again with him at an older age.
Sandy
My Grandson liked it at age 1-3years. I believe the one I got him was a chunky board book so that he could handle it without damage and enjoy looking at the pictures even if we weren't reading.
That was the beginning of bedtime stories. He is now memorizing and telling them back to Daddy!
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Developmentally, children are recognizing that there exists a schedule to some daily routines and bedtime is one of those scheduled routines. Buenas Noches a Todos is a bilingual picture book suitable for children 12-24 months old because it makes them aware of their participation in daily routines. Reading a book such as Buenas Noches a Todos can make bedtime a comforting experience. The rhyming text encourages a child’s print motivation, phonological awareness and narrative skills by providing ...more
Matthew
My son loved the part where the animals 'all go up to exercise'. I like how this book covers brushing your teeth as a step in the process of going to sleep. It is great that the illustration shows the animals scrubbing back and forth with the toothbrushes.
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Quiet Loud
  • Gossie
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • My Very First Book of Colors
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Hug
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer
  • Tails
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! Barnyard Dance But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books) Pajama Time!