Start by marking “Writing Irresistible KidLit: The Ultimate Guide to Crafting Fiction for Young Adult and Middle Grade Readers” as Want to Read:

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Writing for young adult (YA) and middle grade (MG) audiences isn't just "kid's stuff" anymore--it's kidlit! The YA and MG book markets are healthier and more robust than ever, and that means the competition is fiercer, too. In Writing Irresistible Kidlit, literary agent Mary Kole shares her expertise on writing novels for young adult and middle grade readers and teaches yo ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Writers Digest Books (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Irresistible KidLit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Irresistible KidLit

Lynley
The title promises a lot, and the author is certainly qualified, with a background in writing, publishing and acting.

The first and last chapters are all about the publishing industry, so the title should really say something about 'writing AND PUBLISHING' kidlit. Actually, this dates the book somewhat, with the assumption that everyone is still interested in the traditional publishing route, completely putting aside that a lot of new writers will have decided to self-publisher. But even if you d
Patti
I had the dubious honor of receiving one of Ms. Kole's form rejections last summer. And after finishing this book I know why. In the second to last chapter she discusses queries/submissions. And to quote her:

If you're only getting form declines, something's not working, and I'm betting it's your writing sample. Yes, your writing sample. Not your query, as so many writers hope. We can overlook a heinous query if the writing is brilliant, but never the other way around. (pg 259)

The good thing is,
Claire Caterer
I used to devour books on writing. Now I rarely pick one up, mostly because I realized I needed to spend more time doing the writing and less time reading about doing the writing. But I attended a lecture by Mary Kole at my local SCBWI chapter conference last fall and was intrigued enough to buy her book. And really, no matter where you are in your writing career, this book has lots to teach you.

Kole gives real-world examples of what she's talking about in terms of published YA/MG novels. She of
Wow. Like the title states, this really is "The Ultimate Guide" for writing "kidlit."

A few things I loved about this book:
- Ms. Kole uses excerpts from 35 kidlit books to illustrate the writing craft techniques.
- The whole book is a lesson on good "voice." Her book uses a conversational tone that made it feel like she was just sitting at the table teaching me.
- The market sections. She gives an overview of the YA and MG markets, the YA and MG mindset, and the business side of getting your book
Lori
Dammit. My stack of unread and nearly-due library ebooks mounts. I could not persuade my thumb to move past Mary Kole's Writing Irresistible Kidlit without pressing in for a quick peek, and now I've gone and read the whole thing. I own this book, yet I had to read it through before all those others with their ticking expiration dates.

Good stuff, this. I'm wading through revisions on a years-old manuscript, and Ms. Kole's insights are both practical and inspiring enough to effect real, story-alt
Meagan
This book was recommended to me by a writer friend and I devoured it in a matter of days. It is excellent, filled with great reminders of stuff I already know but sometimes forget, and many new-to-me ideas as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is seriously interested in writing publishable fiction, especially if you already have something in the works that you want to improve. I am nearing the end of the first rewrite of the novel I am working on, and this book has me totally ener ...more
Kita
Most books for writers are written by writers, which makes sense of course. Writing Irresistible Kidlit is written by an agent. She offers an interesting perspective. For example, she includes several lists of clichés that she sees all the time in the slush pile (plot clichés, character clichés, opening scene clichés etc.)

And she has lots of tidbits of good advice, like:

"Never be satisfied with the level of conflict you've engineered. Always twist it, always find a way to make it worse... But
Kim Graff
I've read a lot of How To Become An Awesome writer type books. I've attended conferences, webnairs, and followed a lot of writer blogs, and out of all of those great tools and resources, kidlit.com has always been a favorite of mine. So when I heard that Mary Kole was writing a book, I was intrigued. The book is broken down into the important things you need to know when writing for the YA or MG marketplace.

It starts with an overview of the Kidlit Market then moves to describing the MG and YA r
Jen
Mary Kole is a kid lit agent, so the advice she gives in this info-packed guide comes from a deep knowledge of the industry. For example, there's a list of cliched openings - and mine was one (not wanting to go to your first day of a new school). Ack! But better to know now than after submitting to an agent. I found myself getting lots of ideas for my book, and wound up reading it with my laptop on my lap so I could jot down plot or setting or character points without having to get up. Absolutel ...more
Lia Marcoux
I really enjoy Kole's Kidlit blog, but the book seems to focus more on writing that sells than writing craft (which is great for someone seeking that practical guide). Kole is an experienced professional with a successful list, so she obviously knows her stuff, but a couple of those commercial guidelines (which are not her fault) made me sad. Bitter emphasis entirely my own: "Try to give all issues, like experiencing racism probably, to secondary characters. And pack your YA with romance because ...more
Courtney
This is a must-read book by the awesome agent Mary Kole for anyone writing for children. She is a master, and loved her words of encouragement at the end, too. My favorite quote: Novels are written one word at a time, and every word is a choice.
Dianna Winget
This is an excellent book on writing, and I've read my share of craft books. I love Mary's examples and how she's able to put you in the mind of both middle graders and young adults. I would highly recommend this helpful aid.
Anyta Sunday
Solid.

It's always great to get the basis drummed into you again and again. I particularly liked the examples, my only qualm with it is that it has increased my 'to read' pile by another 20.

Need more reading time!!!
Marian Perera
I like checking out how-to books on writing, and Writing Irresistible Kidlit is by (former) literary agent Mary Kole. Although I don’t write MG or YA, I felt sure there would be ideas and techniques that would apply to adult fiction as well.

Well, there are, but I’d definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to write for children or teenagers. It’s a great resource. One chapter is devoted to understanding the mindset of these readers. What level of complexity are they looking for when they read?
Carie Juettner
If you've been within ten feet of me over the past two weeks, then you've most likely heard me talk about Writing Irresistible Kidlit. I'm pretty stingy with my five-star ratings, but I cannot say enough good things about this book.

In order to keep myself from rambling, here is what I loved about Mary Kole's writing guide in bullet form:

* Straightforward, To-the-Point Advice: I love reading books about writing. I've read many of the classics like On Writing, Writing Down the Bones, and Bird By B
Sugarplumfairy
"Mockers resent correction, so they avoid the wise." (Proverbs 15:12)

Every writer of young adult or middle grade books who wishes to learn how to write better should read this book. I think that includes every aspiring teenage writer, and anyone else who wants to be good at writing. And everyone who wants to self-publish, this book should be required reading, even if you're still going to self-publish. I myself am still deciding on which road to take.

We must be reminded to never stop learning ho
Timothy Pecoraro

Unlike many books of this type Mary Kole is not writing from the perspective of someone who writes. She wrote this book, of course, but she does not make her living as an author. Which is exactly what is necessary for a book such as this. Because you, as a perspective writer. Need to know what to do to get published. And it just so happens Mary, being a literary agent is in a position to let you in on some of the things people like her look for. This is an incredible book with lots of great adv
Yume
Thank you, Mary Kole, for giving me some clear ideas at last about how to fix the plot and pacing in my current project! I am now officially looking forward to 2014.

Seriously, sometimes what you really need is a refresher in the basics, and this 101 on everything from plot to voice was very helpful. She gives specific examples from books and features picks from editors and others. Her advice is about both craft and market - from an "editing agent"'s perspective, which I found unique and helpful.
Christy Luis
Let me start by raving a bit about the author, Mary Kole. Her blog taught me many writing essentials before I even went to school for writing: character, POV and tense problems, voice and more. When I had read everything on her site, her resource list connected me to other methods of learning. If you're reading this, check out her awesome blog: http://kidlit.com/
Onto the book review. It's nice to read craft books written by agents. Writing Irresistible Kidlit talks honestly about what will or w
Ashlee Willis
Ok ... THIS is an awesome book. There is advice here for any writer who is seeking to WRITE young adult or middle grade fiction. I emphasize "write" because so many books now focus on publishing, promoting, platform, marketing, pitching, etc., etc., ETC.!! This book, however, focuses solely on writing in its purest form - the CRAFT of writing. The advice is wonderful, thoughtful, and so clearly written that no writer could read this book and not walk away with something gained from it.

Kole does
Rafe
I read a lot of books about the art/craft/business of writing, and for the most part, they're replete with overlapping information. Some of them are really useful, and some are sadly redundant. This book, Mary Kole's Writing Irresistible KidLit , is now one of my favorites. As the title suggests, Kole has put together a handbook on writing fiction for YA and MG audiences. I picked it up because I am familiar with her as an agent and on Twitter, and I figured she would have a lot to say. I am su ...more
Kim
Nov 02, 2012 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers all genres
Recommended to Kim by: Writers Digest Books
It's funny, I wasn't even looking for a book on writing, but this one popped up in an email from Writer's Digest, and on a whim I ordered it. I'm working on a mid-grade novel and thought this might have some good information. Boy, was I right. I couldn't put it down, finished it in two days, then went back and highlighted the concepts I found particularly helpful. Mary Kole covers, plot, setting characterization and all the important elements of writing. But what I found the most helpful was tha ...more
Jeanne Moran
This renowned KidLit agent has documented her years of experience in this accessible book. The tone is conversational and encouraging, and she shares dozens of splendid examples from middle-grade and young adult fiction as she discusses the publishing market, the readers' mindset, the craft of plot and character, and more. As an agent, she knows what sells and what doesn't. Those of us who write would do well to heed her advice.
Many of the books on writing in my library are written by authors, a
Kole's informative book on crafting Young Adult and Middle Grade fiction is helpful. She gives plenty of examples for how to strengthen material and how to write for these specific age groups. She also offers examples from published material. While some of the examples are helpful, others are so specific to an author or type of book that they don't stretch to all types of genres in the areas of YA and MG. For example, there are very few snippets from fantasy or science fiction works.

Kole has yea
France A
I especially loved reading about the business of children's books. I read things I haven't heard before which is refreshing. The Market Overview tells how the business has changed and the inside scoop of what's really going on. The book also has great advice on working on your "work-in-progress".
Jeania
I enjoyed this. It was a quick read and I read it on my way to a conference for writers. The information is not so different from what you would get from a conference but what makes the book unique is the kid lit focused examples. It is a useful reference book to have.
Kara
A must read for anyone serious about writing for children and/or teens, Kole's book is a very thorough guide. She talks about everything from pacing to character voice but focuses on kidlit so you get a solid understanding of what it takes to write a great book for young readers. I wish I'd discovered this book early on in my writing journey, as it's a gem.
Heather
YA and MG writing is not what I do. Understand this. I read because it's good information period and the resources are great. Reading things like this also helps give better understanding as a reader of YA and MG material.
Ashley Herring Blake
Mary Kole's book is a must-read for every aspiring kidlit writer. It is filled with not only practical information on craft, but also practical information about the traditional publishing world. I found myself reading it with my computer close by, using Kole's book to help me sift through some problem areas in my own manuscript. Kole is clearly passionate about her work and the world of kidlit and that passion spills over the pages of her book. She helps writers realize the importance of writin ...more
dearlittledeer
nothing groundbreaking, but a good guide with excellent examples from recent ya / mg books. something you could refer back to for inspiration if you're stuck.
A must for authors 1 6 Nov 01, 2012 04:10PM
  • Second Sight: An Editor's Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • Elements of Fiction Writing - Conflict and Suspense
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Complete Guide to Writing Creative Nonfiction--from Memoir to Literary Journalism and Everything in Between
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • A Writer's Guide to Characterization: Archetypes, Heroic Journeys, and Other Elements of Dynamic Character Development
  • Wild Ink : Success Secrets to Writing and Publishing in the Young Adult Market
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
  • The Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-By-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
Spades (Book Three)