Start by marking “Jasper's Day” as Want to Read:
Jasper's Day

Jasper's Day

Today Riley's family is celebrating Jasper's Day. Everything they do will be in honor of Jasper --- sort of like a birthday. But it isn't Jasper's birthday. The old dog's cancer has gotten really bad. Riley knows they can't let him suffer any longer, but letting go will be the hardest thing he's ever had to do.

Marjorie Blain Parker's tender story is filled with smiles, tea
Published August 1st 2004 by Kids Can Press (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jasper's Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jasper's Day

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Riley and his family are celebrating a special, yet hard day...Jasper's day. Jasper is the family dog. He's old and has cancer. Today is the day the family will take Jasper to the clinic so he won't have to suffer any longer. Riley is sad but he also appreciates being able to celebrate Jasper's life by doing all of his favorite things and taking lots of pictures.

The story is very touching. I must admit that I cried throughout the entire book. The word choice and illustrations are very soothing
Sarah Rourke
Feb 24, 2015 Sarah Rourke rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction: I really liked this book. This is a sad story, but happy as well. It makes you feel for the little boy, which shows the book is well written. I liked the illustrations, and the language.

Purposes: This book would be read aloud for enrichment to 1st through 3rd graders.
This story is something that children can relate to, because most children have had a pet/ do have a pet that they are close to. If you know a child has recently gone through losing a pet, this would be a good bo
Abby Pooch
Apr 16, 2016 Abby Pooch rated it really liked it
Shelves: bereavement, children
This book is about a family celebrating the life of their dog on the day before he is put down. It is extremely sad from the very beginning. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than about 7-8 years old, because it is fairly long. Also, young may have a difficult time understanding the idea that a family would help a dog die. Most families would likely not want to discuss this unless it was personally happening to them. In that case, this book would likely be heartwrenching (as I cried ...more
Bry
Jul 15, 2013 Bry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and families; Professionals working with children
Recommended to Bry by: Professor
Shelves: thanatology
I cried every time I read this book! It's definitely heartbreaking, but heartwarming, too. Though the book is sad, the topic is approached with sensitivity and humor. The illustrations are also fantastic.

Jasper's Day teaches children about death and euthanasia, and shows healthy ways to grieve. It also shows adults how to support children bereaved by a pet loss. This book is an important resource for anyone involved with children who have experienced the death of a pet.
Sep 13, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children's Librarians
This book does an excellent job of addressing the issue of putting a pet to sleep (accepting and understanding, dealing with your emotions, and bonding with your family. Very sweet and realistic illustations.
Yodelingvet
The saddest book I've ever read. We read it a few weeks before our oldest dog died. We were bawling by the end.
Gwen
Jun 13, 2012 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
A heart-warming book about making your dog's last day with your family the most special day. A must-read if you have a dog who is nearing the end of their road.
Eric Coulbourne
Eric Coulbourne rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Sinuda
Sinuda rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Libbyvine Vine
Libbyvine Vine rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Stephen Snyder
Stephen Snyder rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Sarah Smith
Sarah Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
R.J. Kottke
Feb 25, 2014 R.J. Kottke rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry and it still does every time I read it
Juna Baleau
Juna Baleau rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
R.J. Kottke
Feb 25, 2014 R.J. Kottke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book made me cry. The pictures are done so well- they show the emotions of everyone so well.
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Petra Be
Petra Be rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Pauline
Pauline rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Marjorie Parker
Marjorie Parker rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2010
Dave Wild
Dave Wild rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Nway
Nway rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Dave Wild
Dave Wild rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2010
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2011
Luke
Luke is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2012
Manybooks
Manybooks marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Christie Shepard
Christie Shepard marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013
Kim Edberg
Kim Edberg marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Jeanette Reed
Jeanette Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Jenn
Jenn added it
Nov 12, 2014
Becky
Becky is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2015
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Malcolm Brown
Malcolm Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Demi Fitzsimmons
Demi Fitzsimmons marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015