Start by marking “Zoe's Muster” as Want to Read:
Zoe's Muster

Zoe's Muster

When Zoe, restless black sheep of the Porter family, discovers that her biological father is a North Queensland cattleman, Peter Fairburn, her deep desire to meet him takes her from inner-city Brisbane to a job as a stockcamp cook.
Published July 25th 2012 by Michael Joseph (Penguin Australia)

To ask other readers questions about Zoe's Muster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoe's Muster

Brenda
The unexpected discovery that the man she’d thought of as her father, politician Rex Porter was not her biological father had Zoe in a mess. Her mother Claire swore Zoe to secrecy – the upset to Rex as a politician just wasn’t allowed to happen. But when the job of camp-muster cook at Mullinjim Station became available, and Zoe knew her biological father and family lived there, Zoe was determined to meet them all. With no thought to the can of worms she could unearth, Zoe was soon on her way to ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

An engaging story, Zoe's Muster doesn't stray far from familiar ground for Barbara Hannay, the award winning author of over 40 category romance novels published by Harlequin, blending romance and an Australian rural setting.

Zoe Porter is stunned to learn that a North Queensland cattleman, Peter Fairburn, is her biological father, not the high profile Brisbane politician who raised her. Against her mothers wishes, but agreeing to keep her secret, Zoe abandons her cupcake business and takes a tem
Rachael Johns
May 15, 2012 Rachael Johns rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED Zoe's Muster!! A really well-developed storyline, with fab characters and some laugh out loud moments. Can't wait for Barbara Hannay's next book!
Lauren K
Jun 01, 2012 Lauren K rated it it was amazing

Barbara Hannay is a well-established romance author for Harlequin and despite many of her stories featuring the Australian outback; Zoe’s Muster is the first of her novels to be marketed purely in the rural romance domain.

In Zoe’s Muster, Hannay clearly displays how proficiently she creates a steamy love story amidst the backdrop of Australian’s rugged land. This story explores various character viewpoints: Zoe, her love interest, Mac, her mother Claire and her biological father’s wife
Jenn McLeod
Apr 05, 2013 Jenn McLeod rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: rural romance readers and contemporary women's fiction lovers
I loved everything about Zoe’s Muster. Barbara Hannay brings a maturity and complexity to what the publisher (Penguin) has clearly branded – by the title and the cover image – a rural romance. But I have to stress that this savvy author’s venture into the farm-lit genre really offers readers so much more. Yes there’s a love triangle (well, a kind of triangle) and all the emotional angst you’d expect from a ru-ro, but what I wasn’t expecting was the depth the author brought to the story and the c ...more
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted here.

I don’t know why I was surprised to see Barbara Hannay jumping in on the Rural Lit craze. After all, she was writing shorter rural romances years before the trend took off, and I’ve enjoyed everything of hers I’ve read. I knew she’d deliver a good story, and I knew she’d come up with something original in a completely saturated field.

As I’ve said before, it’s hard to know what to pick from the current sea of book covers featuring twenty-something women in Akubras. I’ve bee
Diana Hockley

Zoe's Muster has elements of the traditional, "girl looking for her "real" father" but the way Barbara Hannay has written this story makes those elements take on a new perspective.

Zoe takes off to the north of Queensland to join a cattle muster as the camp cook, after she discovers purely by chance that the father she has always known is not her biological one. This is a surprise to her mother as well, and Claire, beset by marriage problems, begs Zoe not to tell anyone why she is at the station
Bree T
Brisbane girl Zoe is stunned when she finds out quite by accident that the man her mother is married to, the man that has raised her, is not actually her biological father. Zoe’s real father is a north-Queensland cattle station owner and suddenly the insecurities Zoe has always had about not fitting into her family, about not knowing what she wants to do with her life in a family of decision makers, seem like they might go away if she got to know her father. And almost by divine intervention, th ...more
Paula  Phillips
Nov 15, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing
I wonder if it's partly because I live in New Zealand but I have always had a soft spot for rural romances. Some are better than others I have found and one of those ones that I have really enjoyed was Zoe's Muster by Barbara Hannay.
In Zoe's Muster, we meet Zoe who has always found that she is like the black sheep of her perfect family and with a peek at her dad's blood test results, she will soon discover that he is not her real father and that her perfect family is really her half-family. Wan
Dianne
Jan 11, 2013 Dianne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a great story with romance.
Recommended to Dianne by: Reviews read
First off I wanted to congratulate Ms Hannay on her 2013 RITA Awards nomination. Congratulations! I was thrilled to see you nominated - I wish you the best of luck...Zoe's Muster deserved its nomination.

I absolutely loved this book! I know being Australian I am probably biase, but there is nothing better than a well written outback romance that has a strong and interesting storyline, great character development both primary and secondary characters. The use of Australian colloquialisms was not o
Chanpreet
Jan 04, 2013 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mar-yc-aussie
Zoe Porter's whole world has fallen apart after learning her parents blood type. She always thought she was different from the rest of her family, and now her fears have been confirmed. Claire, her mother, is also hit hard by this revelation. And she takes a hard look at herself and the state of her marriage.

Lost and looking for answers, Zoe decides to give up her high profile job, and go to Mullinjim, her birth father, Peter Fairburn's property to see him and learn more about him.

Talk about bl
Loren
Sep 25, 2014 Loren rated it really liked it
This is the first rural book I've ever read and I was impressed! I kept thinking about it when I wasn't reading it and loved the characters. Was a tad let down at the end with all the focus on just one of the main story lines, would have liked to see more on the other as well. But overall it was a good book and I'll be reading more books like this in the future.
Merry Farmer
Mar 31, 2013 Merry Farmer rated it really liked it
Zoe's Muster was a really enjoyable read. The love story between Zoe and Mac is everything that a Romance should have. But in a way the character of Zoe's mother, Claire, was even more of a treat for me. She wasn't just a support for the heroine, she was a heroine of her own. It was Claire's story and the choices she faced that kept me up way past my bed time reading. Fantastic!
Bettina
Sep 24, 2012 Bettina rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I've read by this author and I absolutely loved it! All the time I was reading this book, I kept picturing Nikko's farm from "Farmer Wants a Wife'! :) Can't wait for the sequel to this book!! :)
Gillian Milne
Oct 05, 2013 Gillian Milne rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous! A very beautiful story, complex characters, and a happy ending! Awesome!
Carmen
Aug 06, 2012 Carmen rated it it was amazing
What can i say i couldn't put it down, i was just so caught up in Zoe's emotional jounery it was fantastic!!
Kylie
Dec 29, 2013 Kylie rated it it was amazing
I loved this story found it hard to put down
Melissa
Oct 02, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I do enjoy country based books and again I wasn't disappointed. Lots of real life issues and an outback feeling. An excellent read if you enjoy Australian rural romance.
Michelle
May 17, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Loved this book. Always enjoy Barbara Hannay's Sweet line so was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. Would definitely recommend.
Tracy
Aug 12, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing

Loved it! Easy reading & hard to put down
Kel
Dec 19, 2012 Kel rated it really liked it
A somewhat predictable but easy, enjoyable story.
Caroline
Aug 21, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo-ebook
Fantastic.
Kellie Mackrell
Nov 06, 2015 Kellie Mackrell rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved it. Great book even though I read the second one first and this one second. I hope there is a third book coming out.
Bec Whyte
Oct 01, 2013 Bec Whyte rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Dale Harcombe
Mar 07, 2013 Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
I wish I could do three and three quarter stars. It was a good read.
Anita-maree
Dec 08, 2014 Anita-maree rated it it was amazing
loved this story...
Kara Duncan
Aug 27, 2012 Kara Duncan rated it really liked it

Loved it...
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
  • Heart of the Valley
  • Queen of the Road
  • Bella's Run
  • Ryders Ridge
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Man Drought
  • Purple Roads
Multi award winning author, Barbara Hannay, is a city bred girl with a yen for country life. Most of her 40 plus books are set in rural and outback Australia and they've been enjoyed by readers around the world.
In her own version of life imitating art, Barbara and her husband currently live on a misty hillside in beautiful Far North Queensland where they keep heritage pigs, hens, ducks, turkeys an
More about Barbara Hannay...