Start by marking “Stop, Drop, and Roll: A Jessica Worries Book: Fire Safety” as Want to Read:
Stop, Drop, and Roll: A Jessica Worries Book: Fire Safety

Stop, Drop, and Roll: A Jessica Worries Book: Fire Safety

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Jessica has always been a worrier, and learning about fire safety is making her more nervous than ever. But our favorite worrywart is about to discover that knowing what to do in an emergency is the best (and only) way to extinguish her fire-safety fears!
Published September 1st 2001 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stop, Drop, and Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop, Drop, and Roll

Jasmine Bowman
Nov 25, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Jessica worries herself to death over everyday routines. She worries about her spelling homework, remembering to give the dog water, and waking up on time for school. It is fire safety week at her school and this just gives Jessica even more to worry about. Her house is missing fire alarms, automatic sprinklers, a fire escape plan and extra batteries for the fire alarms. As she learns more about fire safety she worries more and more when she gets home. She even forgets the stop, drop and roll ru ...more
Millie Simonds
Nov 29, 2015 Millie Simonds rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a great fire safety book for children. It not only addresses what to do about a fire but also the fears and anxiety that children may have about fire. I would read this book to a class during a fire safety lesson. I think that this book would be appropriate for kindergarten- fourth grade. I would read this book and then ask students to draw the steps of what they should do if they experience a fire first hand. I would also ask students to demonstrate the skills that they learned fro ...more
Cherina
Sep 30, 2008 Cherina rated it it was ok
Summary: Jessica worries all the time. During Fire Prevention Week, her teacher gives her even more things to be concerned about. Jessica is afraid that she won't remember all of the safety tips. She goes home immediately to make sure that her house and family is prepared for a possible fire. Jessica's teacher asks her to demonstrate the "stop, drop, and roll" technique for the school. Jessica worries that she won't remember the right words. At Tom's birthday party, Jessica sees the fire from th ...more
Melissa
May 09, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Stop, Drop, and Roll is a great realistic fiction story for younger children. This story is about a little girl named Jessica who is known to be a "worry worm". One day when Jessica comes into school she learns it is Fire Prevention Week, and they are going to be learning about fire safety. Immediately this worries Jessica, and then to make things worse, the teacher shares that they will be sharing what they learned with the entire school. This book is great during Fire Prevention Week, and teac ...more
Jamie Gorsky
Jun 19, 2013 Jamie Gorsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool
Very good book for prekindergarten children, the author mentions how they are practicing for safety prevention week. The illustration is really child like unlike other books, it looks like it was sketched with soft colors I didnt see much of bright colors in this book. I like how the author explained all the procedures of the promoting safety when in a fire.

Learning Experience: If I was the teacher this would be a book I would read at the introduction of the unit of learning Fire Prevention Week
Courtney
This book would be great to use when teaching children about fire safety. Jessica worries about everything and uses that worry to help prepare her household in case there is a fire. The pictures really help paint the picture of whats going on.
(NS) Panagiota Angelos
Jessica worries about EVERYTHING! Monday her teacher gives her one more thing to agonize about, fire prevention. She goes home and shares what she has learned with her family about smoke alarms, sprinklers, batteries, escape plans etc. As the week continues she learns more about fire prevention and as a result worries more. Finally, she is taught an important rule to stop, drop and roll if your clothes catch on fire. But Jessica is so worried about all the other things she can’t remember the phr ...more
Mary Bennett
Apr 06, 2012 Mary Bennett rated it really liked it
Stop, Drop and Roll is a book about fire safety told through a child's perspective. However, the character Jessica is a bit of a worrier. This makes learning about fire safety very scary for her. I think that the moral of the story for children should be that learning about fire safety is very important but nothing to lose sleep over. This book is a great tool for teachers to use in the classroom. They can highlight the more important topics in the book, such as what to do when when there is an ...more
Shannon Clark
Oct 10, 2014 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing
My 1st graders learned a lot about fire safety.
Lauren White
Good for grades k-2
Elise
Apr 09, 2009 Elise rated it did not like it
Shay picked this out at the library the other day since they were doing a fire safety week at school. I really didn't care of this book and neither did Shay. I especially didn't like that "Jessica", the girl in the story, was a worrier about everything in life and after learning about what could happen in a fire her worries became even worse. Guess I wouldn't extenuate the "fear factor". I would think this would have the opposite effect on kids than you'd want as a parent or teacher.
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jessica worries about everything such as waking up in time for school, filling her dog's water dish, learning new steps in ballet, doing her spelling homework But then her teacher, Mr. Martin, has given her something new to fret about: It's Fire Prevention Week. In this book the students learn all about how to keep their house safe and what to do in case of a fire.
Susan
During fire prevention week, Jessica’s teacher assigns a project to help everyone learn fire safety tips. For Jessica the project creates anxiety and nervousness that results in her whole family receiving an education about the importance of creating a home fire plan, examining their home for fire hazards and what to do in the case of a fire.
Abbi Kraus
Sep 14, 2011 Abbi Kraus rated it really liked it
I like this book because it shows how a child can be stressed out and overcome their fears. It is about a girl who is scared of there being a fire, and does not like to worry about it. She tells her family about fire safety and there is a funny part at the end. I would read this for fire safety to the classroom.
Ashley Allen
This book is another book about fire safety. Many children can relate to this book because it talks about how children are worried to be in the fire but they can overcome their fears by being informed. It is a great book to teach the students how to stop, drop, and roll.

Abbi Kraus TJ Teacher 2nd Block
Erica J
The illustrations in this book are well done. This story would be useful of course for discussing fire safety. However, as a teacher you could dig deeper and discuss how worrying about things can get the best of you! An excellent classroom/home book to discuss fire safety do's and dont's.
Stephanie Allen
This is a great book to introduce fire safety to a class. All students can relate to being scared of fire, but by being informed it can help you overcome those fears and be safe. The little girl in the story is constantly worrying but when under pressure she realizes she knows exactly what to do.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Khadija Bensaadoun
Apr 23, 2012 Khadija Bensaadoun rated it really liked it
Shelves: community, ece-3601
Similar to the story of Wimberly Worries, it this story Jessica worries about everything, but one day she has to leave her worries aside during a file drill. This book can be used to teach students what they need to do during a fire drill and how they can stay safe.

Kaylen Matherly
This is a good book to read during a fire safety unit. It is apropriate for early elementary. It teaches children a huge fire safety tip to stop, drop, and roll. It is important to teach this in a classroom, so students can be prepared if they ever experience a fire.
Kristy Schwertfeger
Apr 04, 2011 Kristy Schwertfeger rated it really liked it
Shelves: fire-safety
This is a good book to read to teach about fire safety. It has a lot of useful tips and facts on what needs to be done if there is a fire. I like this book because it has so many good facts but there is also a story behind it not just facts.
Brittney
Nov 22, 2011 Brittney rated it liked it
This book is a wonderful way to teach students about fire safety. This book provides information at the level were any student can understand it. I would love to read this book to my class when teaching them about fire safety.

jacky
I always think a book is a great place to start a.conversation. This one works, though it might be a tad overwhelming, but I guess the main character feels that way, too.
Ashley Fortson
Nov 27, 2011 Ashley Fortson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
When I observed my preschool class, the teacher read this book to the class when they were doing fire week. It teaches the kids what to do if there is ever a fire in their home.
Jamie
Oct 19, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it
The kids loved this one. They especially loved doing the "stop, drop, and roll" actions at the end of the book. Good source to teach kids the basics of fire safety.
Lindsi
May 14, 2012 Lindsi rated it it was amazing
very informative book!Great book to introduce during fire safety classes. This book can open up the talk about fires and what to do and what not to do in a fire.
Kristen
Sep 10, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
When I book starts out "Jessica was a worrier" I knew instantly that I was going to relate. A good book to help young kids understand fire safety.
Tuyet Tran
Nov 22, 2010 Tuyet Tran rated it liked it
Shelves: safety
This story is very similar to Wemberly Worried. The purpose of this book is to teach students to prepare for firedrill. Stop, drop, and roll!
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
Cute book about a worry-wart who worries very badly about a fire. Teaches fire safety and helps to relax your worry-wart.
Tricia
Feb 09, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
while the book has good facts about fire safety it is written in a way to worry a child. viv was freaked out.
  • No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons)
  • Sarah Gives Thanks
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
  • Eagle Song
  • Pinduli
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more
More about Margery Cuyler...