Start by marking “Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)
Preview

Jane on Her Own (Catwings #4)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Jane, the youngest of the catwings, goes looking for adventure in the big city and captured!

Longing for adventure, Jane, the youngest of the catwings, flies to the city on her own. When she flies through the window of a man who feeds here, she is suddenly captured, and finds herself making appearances as Miss Mystery, the fabulous winged cat! Realizing that being independe
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jane on Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane on Her Own

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderRamona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
Books for seven-year-olds
112th out of 445 books — 180 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramI Can Cook by Marika GermanisI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika Germanis
Books for eight-year-old children
131st out of 511 books — 432 voters

More lists with this book...

Roberta
Jane, the baby of the Catwing family, finds that the world outside the farm where she was born, is full of dangers. In the big city, she is cat-napped by someone who wants to capitalize on her flying talents and make big money on television. One of Jane's wise quotes is, "Being different is difficult and sometimes very dangerous." This is the 4th and final book of Le Guin Catwings books, with a reading level of grades 2-4, and delight enough for adult cat lovers.
Nikki
Jane On Her Own is about the youngest Catwing. I think I like her best; she's adventurous and knows what she wants and doesn't just get somewhere safe and stay there. And it's nice to see her going back and seeing her mother. Again, lovely illustrations and a nice sweet little read.
Sara
omg, i love this story and i don't care how short it is. the illistrations are magnificent and it's about time that someone acctualy put a cat with wings into a story. i mean, cats and wings, shouldn't that be a "no duh"?
Holly Letson
Jane's book was not as good as her boyfriend, Alexander's. But, it was still a fun read.

After reclaiming her voice, Jane begins to feel the same need for adventure that Alexander once felt. This need ends up leading her to the city and into the house of Poppa, who is a greedy old man profiting from her uniqueness. She finds that out, and eventually, slips out and away from him.

Jane then uses her "Homing Instincts" to help her find her mother, which she does quite quickly. And, upon invitatio
Jessica
Title: Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale (Animal Fantasy)

Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Pages: 48
Publisher: Orchard Books, New York
Copyright: 1999
Illustrator: S. D. Schindler
Distinguishing Artistic Features: Pen and ink drawings and wash.

This is the fourth and final book of the Catwings series. The series read in order would be:
Catwings
Catwings return
Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings and finally,

Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale

Setting: A farm and the city.
Characters:(Major) Jane, the baby of the catw
Sarah Sammis
When I read Catwings Return, Jane the kitten was my favorite character. OK, second favorite, since I have to be partial to a flying cat named Harriet. So I was curious to read Jane on Her Own by Ursula K. Le Guin.

In Jane on Her Own, Jane just doesn't fit in at the farm. She's restless, nervous and skittish. She decides to return to the city of her birth to face her fears and find her forever home.

In the City she finds a new life as "Miss Mystery." The book blurb says the man she lives with "keep
Dolly
Feb 27, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are now finished with the four book series, Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin. We really enjoyed this entire series and for every one of these books, our girls would insist that we read the whole book at one time. Considering the length of the stories, it tells me that they were very interested. I think that the story ended nicely and was a good finish to the series, although we wouldn't have minded if there were more...
Emily
A sweet and evocative conclusion to the catwings saga.
Charlotte Merritt
Never read this one before, glad I found it!!
Sydney
Jun 11, 2014 Sydney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Little animal lovers
I read this series when I was really little. But I absolutely loved cats back then (well, I still do!) and for me this was just about the best series ever. If I looked back and read it now, I'd probably finish it in 20 minutes and think it was pretty boring. But if you know someone who is just beginning to read short chapter books and they love animals, give them a book from this series and they will just eat it up! ;)
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Jane flies off on her own one day and befriends a man. But he wants to use her to make money. He has her filmed and keeps her locked inside. This is definately not a life for a cat with wings!

My thoughts: I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it. It is book four of the series and each one is a good childrens story. Its unique storyline makes it fun to read. I would definately recomend this title and series.
Indira
If you've ever read Ursula k.Le Guin's 'Left Hand of Darkness' you have some idea of her writing. Catwings is a children's book but I read it before giving to the child in mind. And just noticed there's a series. Fun! I would read them all. Quirky and bends the mind in ways I like. Besides I have an affinity for wings, though usually on angels.
Lizzie
I picked up this book because it looked like my cat on the front cover. Did not know this is a series book but dived in anyway. I loved the little story and the graphics. However, unlikely to read the other books but I could see how this would be a hit with children, especially reading out loud to them.
Christopher Obert
A cute little story about a cat with wings that wants to spread those wings and explore the world. The illustrations are pleasant and enhance the book nicely. This is book four in a series of books all devoted to a group of cats with wings. Having read this book I would like to read the others.
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2008 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children who like animals and cats
My #2 son is in love with this series! And he really enjoyed Jane finding a new friend, but worried about he when he closed the window and didn't let her out. He is now watching the cats we see closely to see if one might have wings! This is a great series for young children!
Vicky
I literally loved the Catwings books to death when I was growing up, out of the three books I had only one is still alive. They're fun, whimsical adventures for young kids just learning to read.

My future children will definitely have a set of these books on their shelves!
Alison Strumbeck
Skipped the 3rd because it was check out at the library. I'm interested to see how that compares to the others, but this one is really quite fascinating. It's the most different of the stories. It had a sad undertone but was still really good.
Audrey H
jane is on her own, she has just learned how to talk. she sets off into the city, to explore this world. she thinks she could find treasures, though she can't. join her on this exploration journey, maybe she could find a gem, we'll see!
Christopher
Jane returns to the city and revels in new adventure. There is probably something in here about true freedom versus the apparent freedom of novelty.

Me, have more of an idea of this book as the origin story for a superhero.
Jim
maybe i'm reading to much into this series, but it sure seems like they'd be good to read to/with a kid w/cancer, bum leg, aspergers - anything that makes them stick out and be/feel threatened by school and the world.
Amy
Bea liked this but said it would be pretty sad to have a cat run away from you.

Have I mentioned how wonderful the illustrations in this series are?

I am sad this is the last one.
Tatiana
Jane is my favorite Catwing. She's beautiful, daring, fragile, incredibly strong, young, tragic, sweet, and I love her. This is the story of Jane on her own. Read it. It's good.
jacky
First chapter book read to William since he was an infant and I read to him while nursing at bedtime. He sat and listened to the whole thing straight through.
Hilary
The only thing wrong with this series is that this is the final volume. "Purr"-haps Ursula LeGuin will relent and will continue the series with another volume.
Jill
Ursula K. Le Guin was recommended by a friend and I picked up this book without looking at it. It's a book about a cat with wings, but still endearing for what it is.
Hilary
Jul 21, 2009 Hilary marked it as to-read
Shelves: bedtime-books
When I taught 2nd grade, they ate these books up. I'm looking for something fun to read to the girls before bed, so I think this would be great for them!
Astrid Yrigollen
I love the CatWings series & am so glad I finally got around to reading them. Delightful series for cat & animal lovers, and of course children.
The Rock
Jane decided to go on an adventure because she thought the farm was to boring .
Jane decided to go on an adventure because she
Julie
Apr 11, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers, and kids in general.
The fourth of the Catwings series. It has a cute story and wonderfully detailed illustrations. A great early-level chapter book.
  • Explorer: The Hidden Doors
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • That's What Leprechauns Do
  • Mission to Horatius (Star Trek: The Original Series)
  • Korgi Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Bk. 2)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea
  • Who is the Beast?
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • The Whingdingdilly
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...

Catwings (4 books)
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2) The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3) The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4) The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle, #5)