Start by marking “Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jane on Her Own (Catwings, #4)

Jane on Her Own (Catwings #4)

Jane, the youngest of the catwings, goes looking for adventure in the big city and captured!

Longing for adventure, Jane, the youngest of the catwings, flies to the city on her own. When she flies through the window of a man who feeds here, she is suddenly captured, and finds herself making appearances as Miss Mystery, the fabulous winged cat! Realizing that being independe
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jane on Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane on Her Own

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlRamona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Books for eight-year-old children
111th out of 583 books — 543 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderRamona the Pest by Beverly ClearyMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna Othitis
Books for seven-year-olds
101st out of 488 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie Gordon
More cats with wings! Jane is the youngest catwing, and she gets bored of living on the farm so she goes off to find adventure! She meets a man who she thinks is kind at first, but he just wants her to make him famous on TV, so Jane has to figure out how to escape before humans get it in their heads that there might be more than one cat with wings!

Again, Le Guin crafts a perfectly adorable story, accompanied with delightful art. A great addition to a sweet series for kids!
Jun 13, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Hello, friends! Let's talk about Catwings.

So, first of all, I had not heard of Catwings until my beloved girlfriend introduced me to them via handing me the second book in the series, yet another of the many and wonderful gifts she has given me. At any rate, they seem to be some of LeGuin's more obscure works, which I think is a bit of a tragedy. Second, I was shelving in the children's section just recently and happened to find all four of the Catwings books just hanging out there, which seemed
Oct 27, 2010 Roberta rated it really liked it
Jane, the baby of the Catwing family, finds that the world outside the farm where she was born, is full of dangers. In the big city, she is cat-napped by someone who wants to capitalize on her flying talents and make big money on television. One of Jane's wise quotes is, "Being different is difficult and sometimes very dangerous." This is the 4th and final book of Le Guin Catwings books, with a reading level of grades 2-4, and delight enough for adult cat lovers.
Dec 11, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Jane On Her Own is about the youngest Catwing. I think I like her best; she's adventurous and knows what she wants and doesn't just get somewhere safe and stay there. And it's nice to see her going back and seeing her mother. Again, lovely illustrations and a nice sweet little read.
Apr 13, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
omg, i love this story and i don't care how short it is. the illistrations are magnificent and it's about time that someone acctualy put a cat with wings into a story. i mean, cats and wings, shouldn't that be a "no duh"?
Holly Letson
Jane's book was not as good as her boyfriend, Alexander's. But, it was still a fun read.

After reclaiming her voice, Jane begins to feel the same need for adventure that Alexander once felt. This need ends up leading her to the city and into the house of Poppa, who is a greedy old man profiting from her uniqueness. She finds that out, and eventually, slips out and away from him.

Jane then uses her "Homing Instincts" to help her find her mother, which she does quite quickly. And, upon invitatio
Dione Basseri
Aug 12, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
So, if your kids like cats, yes, 100%, buy this series. If you can find them all in a bundle, all the better, but they shouldn't be all that hard to find on their own, either online or at local used bookstores. They were pretty popular in the 80s and 90s, and remain in print to this day, but they aren't always the most challenging books, so they do manage to leave homes pretty quick, as kids need more shelf space.

They're good picks for those who have blasted through all the "early" chapter books
Jul 09, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Title: Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale (Animal Fantasy)

Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Pages: 48
Publisher: Orchard Books, New York
Copyright: 1999
Illustrator: S. D. Schindler
Distinguishing Artistic Features: Pen and ink drawings and wash.

This is the fourth and final book of the Catwings series. The series read in order would be:
Catwings return
Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings and finally,

Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale

Setting: A farm and the city.
Characters:(Major) Jane, the baby of the catw
Sarah Sammis
Aug 18, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
When I read Catwings Return, Jane the kitten was my favorite character. OK, second favorite, since I have to be partial to a flying cat named Harriet. So I was curious to read Jane on Her Own by Ursula K. Le Guin.

In Jane on Her Own, Jane just doesn't fit in at the farm. She's restless, nervous and skittish. She decides to return to the city of her birth to face her fears and find her forever home.

In the City she finds a new life as "Miss Mystery." The book blurb says the man she lives with "keep
Jul 29, 2016 Pinky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-16
The youngest of the Catwings, Jane, heads off for an adventure in the city. Love how her character is written as needing more adventure. But when adventure finds her, maybe safety and security aren't looking so bad.
Feb 04, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Now want to read the first 3 Catwings Tales. The illustrations by S.D. Schindler are wonderful. Ms. LeGuin may have written this for children but it is a delightful, timeless tale.
Aug 12, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I read all of these 4 books before bed, but this was the only one I actually finished in one go. Because they were so short I wanted to spread the chapters out to make it last longer, however, I just needed to know how this one ended!

Anyway, this was slightly different from the other books, not only because it's all about Jane, but also because there are a lot more human beings in it. Did I prefer cats only? Maybe, but in a four part series I also appreciated the change.

The ending was lovely! An
Sep 14, 2016 Jazz rated it it was amazing
Le Guin shows that happy endings aren't always the same for everyone, and everyone must answer their own calling.
May 20, 2015 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers and young animal and fantasy readers
This one didn't grab me like the others, but is a nice story of the youngest catwing going off for an adventure.
Feb 27, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are now finished with the four book series, Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin. We really enjoyed this entire series and for every one of these books, our girls would insist that we read the whole book at one time. Considering the length of the stories, it tells me that they were very interested. I think that the story ended nicely and was a good finish to the series, although we wouldn't have minded if there were more...
Oct 10, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Let's keep the windows open for the little catwings.
Sep 06, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
A sweet and evocative conclusion to the catwings saga.
Charlotte Merritt
Mar 31, 2015 Charlotte Merritt rated it really liked it
Never read this one before, glad I found it!!
Mar 25, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Great short for kids.
Jun 11, 2014 Sydney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Little animal lovers
I read this series when I was really little. But I absolutely loved cats back then (well, I still do!) and for me this was just about the best series ever. If I looked back and read it now, I'd probably finish it in 20 minutes and think it was pretty boring. But if you know someone who is just beginning to read short chapter books and they love animals, give them a book from this series and they will just eat it up! ;)
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Mar 01, 2012 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it liked it
Jane flies off on her own one day and befriends a man. But he wants to use her to make money. He has her filmed and keeps her locked inside. This is definately not a life for a cat with wings!

My thoughts: I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it. It is book four of the series and each one is a good childrens story. Its unique storyline makes it fun to read. I would definately recomend this title and series.
Mar 06, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
If you've ever read Ursula k.Le Guin's 'Left Hand of Darkness' you have some idea of her writing. Catwings is a children's book but I read it before giving to the child in mind. And just noticed there's a series. Fun! I would read them all. Quirky and bends the mind in ways I like. Besides I have an affinity for wings, though usually on angels.
Oct 19, 2012 Lizzie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because it looked like my cat on the front cover. Did not know this is a series book but dived in anyway. I loved the little story and the graphics. However, unlikely to read the other books but I could see how this would be a hit with children, especially reading out loud to them.
Christopher Obert
Mar 02, 2010 Christopher Obert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
A cute little story about a cat with wings that wants to spread those wings and explore the world. The illustrations are pleasant and enhance the book nicely. This is book four in a series of books all devoted to a group of cats with wings. Having read this book I would like to read the others.
Jul 19, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children who like animals and cats
My #2 son is in love with this series! And he really enjoyed Jane finding a new friend, but worried about he when he closed the window and didn't let her out. He is now watching the cats we see closely to see if one might have wings! This is a great series for young children!
I literally loved the Catwings books to death when I was growing up, out of the three books I had only one is still alive. They're fun, whimsical adventures for young kids just learning to read.

My future children will definitely have a set of these books on their shelves!
Alison Strumbeck
Dec 08, 2011 Alison Strumbeck rated it it was amazing
Skipped the 3rd because it was check out at the library. I'm interested to see how that compares to the others, but this one is really quite fascinating. It's the most different of the stories. It had a sad undertone but was still really good.
Audrey H
Oct 01, 2008 Audrey H rated it it was amazing
jane is on her own, she has just learned how to talk. she sets off into the city, to explore this world. she thinks she could find treasures, though she can't. join her on this exploration journey, maybe she could find a gem, we'll see!
Michael Earp
Apr 17, 2012 Michael Earp rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2012 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-to-may
Jane returns to the city and revels in new adventure. There is probably something in here about true freedom versus the apparent freedom of novelty.

Me, have more of an idea of this book as the origin story for a superhero.
  • Cat & Mouse
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Koko's Kitten
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • The Fir Tree
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Snake Attack! (LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book #5)
  • The Rabbits' Wedding
  • The Dragons are Singing Tonight
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • Waking Dragons
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Travels of Thelonious (Fog Mound)
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...

Catwings (5 books)
  • Catwings (Catwings, #1)
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)
  • Tales of the Catwings (Ome)