Start by marking “Light on Life: The Yoga Way to Wholeness, Inner Peace, And Ultimate Freedom” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Light on Life: The Yog...

B.K.S. Iyengar

Light on Life: The Yoga Way to Wholeness, Inner Peace, And Ultimate Freedom

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  1,831 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
B.K.S. Iyengar, hailed as the Michelangelo of yoga (BBC) and considered by many to be the most important living yoga master, has spent much of his life introducing the modern world to the ancient practice of yoga. Yoga's popularity is soaring, but its widespread acceptance as an exercise for physical fitness and the recognition of its health benefits have not been matched ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published October 7th 2007 by Audio Renaissance (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Light on Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light on Life

Camille Cusumano
I practiced Hatha yoga for 14 years before becoming a convert to Iyengar yoga in 1987. Iyengar is the only yoga discipline I know of where the teachers are trained in anatomy and physiology. I have heard Mr. Iyengar criticized for not having a "spiritual bone" in his body. My repartee is that when you get deep into yoga you move beyond this dualistic thinking and see the body/mind/spirit/soul as one. This book is good for reading but it is highly advised you have a trained teacher guide you in t ...more
Janet Papis
May 17, 2010 Janet Papis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iyengar outlines Pantanjali’s eight limbed path in a way that is clear and understandable by illustrating the steps in an applicable manner to the modern reader, yet intertwining concepts that are so true to his own style. I especially liked his quote, "Is it through the alignment of my body that I discovered the alignment of my mind, self, and intelligence. Alignment from the outermost body or sheath to the innermost is the way to bring our own personal Reality into contact with Universal Reali ...more
Catherine
May 06, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
This book is truly enlightening on all the finer aspects of yoga I have ever wondered about and which others (mostly online blogging yogis) have barely touched upon with any greater depth.

Iyengar thoroughly explains the layers of experience that we learn to inhabit and cultivate while maintaining a disciplined asana practice. He uses many apt and articulate analogies that highlight the connectedness of yogic philosophy and physical practice in all of its esoteric complexity. I finally learned e
Vanessa
Feb 02, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's too bad this title sounds so much like the other thousands of books out there on yoga, self-improvement, etc. This one brings clarity to the confused, contradictory, flimsy info on yoga's vision of the self, mind & spirit, and Iyengar is always looking out for ways to make the information transferable to a western experience. His thoughts on vanilla ice cream are particularly enlightening.

("This one is different" is just as familiar as the title, I know. But it is different.)

And also,
Brad
Dec 01, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Brad by: luck
I'm on my SECOND read in a row! This never happens to me. I've just started over at the beginning. Again, I'm learning with every sentence. I'm a yoga instructor and there's so much here for each serious student of yoga to understand... NO, EVERYONE who reads this book will learn so much about themselves. This book delivers on it's title promise.
Carol
Mar 16, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
B.K.S. Iyengar is one of the most influential yogis in the world today. He’s written a large number of books on yoga and yoga-related subjects.

I love yoga, and have many different yoga books. Most of them are about the asanas or poses. “Light on Life” is completely different from these. Iyengar’s interested in talking about what yoga really is; he also wants to remove certain myths about yoga that people mistakenly believe.

For Iyengar, yoga is a way of living; yoga includes poses, breathing (pr
Eva
Apr 04, 2010 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love yoga, so I figured I would love this book. And if you already know chakras, yamas and niyamas, Patanjali, the sutras, and all that good stuff then this will be a worthwhile read. Sometimes I find Iyengar to be a bit misogynistic, but I've been told time and again that he's old school, from another culture, etc. etc. so I'm trying not to include too much of that in my opinion of this book. Yogis: read this, it will deepen your practice. Non-yogis: I don't think this is a good place to star ...more
Heather
Mar 08, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing ... I am really enjoying how it is changing my perspective on how I move through the world.
Abby
Feb 14, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've dubbed this book "The Happy Indian Man" due to the cover. I love it! And the inside of the book is pretty damn awesome, too.

In Light on Life Iyengar discusses the profound spiritual, emotional and mental effects a dedicated yoga practice can bring to a student. Whereas Light on Yoga focused on the physical aspects of the practice, this book is truly "the culmination of a master's spiritual genius." Iyengar has walked the walk.

What I enjoyed most about this book is that it's not dogmatic at
Britt Skrabanek
Mar 27, 2013 Britt Skrabanek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light on Life completely blew me away. It's no wonder this is often required reading for Yoga teacher certification programs. It was the very reason I found myself eagerly devouring this magnificence.

Don't let the cover fool you. This smiling fellow, the great Mr. Iyengar, not only knows his stuff, he keeps it real so you don't need a philosophy degree to know what the heck is going on.

This is a book any Yogi should read.

I strongly feel that Light on Life is so valuable that it should be read re
Anne
Jul 23, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is an excellent addition to B.K.S Iyengar's Light on Yoga. Seriously everyone who is searching for something "more" should consider the relativeness of yoga--not just as stretching, but as a spiritual practice toward's growing into your full potential.

I started this book last night, and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Oh my goodness, I can't even begin to explain how amazing this book has been for me. As I said before, this book is relatable to anyone, even if they've never done a y
Michael Blackmore
Really quite good. Nothing astonishingly new if you have read Buddhist, Hindu or Yoga philosophy but he presents it in a clear and well organized manner.

Certainly plenty of quotable bits as well as moments where you are inspired to pause and thing about it. And, of course, like any such work moments that don't quite resonate with you as well - for me the comments about Yogi's not dreaming clashed with my Shamanistic bent. ;-)

But still very much worth reading if you have a more than passing inter
Mallory
Apr 05, 2014 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book about the spiritual and physical aspects of yoga practice. Iyengar is such a wise man, I will definitely use things I learned in this book both in my own yoga practice as well as in daily life situations.
Roben
Jun 07, 2009 Roben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practicing yoga throughout the years, I longed for background....loved Iyengar's take on the physical body, the energy body, the mental body, the intellectual body and finally living in freedom.
Lauren
It is amazing that I am actually making any progress in this book... I feel like I stop every paragraph to write a quote down. This book is absolutely wonderful.
Wouter Zwemmer

Leerzaam boek over de praktijk en filosofie van yoga. Bevat zowel goede ideeën als helaas ook achterhaalde, en soms zelfs klinklare onzin. Dat vergt van de lezer een actieve alerte geest, precies wat yoga nastreeft ;-)

Transformatie
Iyengar schrijft: "Het leven van een gezinshoofd is niet makkelijk - dat is het nooit geweest. De kost verdienen, een gezin opvoeden en een zin en doel in het leven vinden." Yoga verandert niet alleen de manier waarop we dingen zien; het transformeert de persoon die zi
Rachel
Jan 14, 2017 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you take up any noble line and stick to it, you can reach the ultimate. Be inspired but not proud. Do not aim low; you will miss the mark. Aim high; you will be on the threshold of bliss.” (p. x)

“…human life has always had the same hardships and the same challenges- making a living, raising a family, and finding meaning and purpose. These have always and will always be the challenges that we humans face. As animals, we walk the earth. As bearers of a divine essence, we are among the stars. A
Roxanne
Nov 30, 2009 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, yoga
This book was a lot more spiritual than I was expecting it to be, which was awesome. I think maybe I got this book mixed up with Light on Yoga, one of Iyengar's earlier works, which I also want to read. Anyway, I loved this book. Iyengar goes step by step describing how yoga benefits the body, the emotions, the mind, and the spirit, helping the yogi to become a peaceful person united with the Divine. I really feel like I learned a lot and that this book helped me in my practice. Plus Iyengar's s ...more
KarmA1966
Light on Life is a philosophical approach to yoga from Iyengar and the last book he wrote before his death at the age of 95 in 2014.

Yoga these days is incredibly mainstream. We see yoga classes in TV shows even commericals like AFLAC have latched onto the Eastern study of the union of mind and body.

Over the past couple decades, I've tried most of the branches of yoga and I've found the older I get the more I return to Iyengar's adherence to form. Flow, heat, etc. are all fine. The Americanizati
Alison
Jun 09, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone serious about a spiritual journey/path/transformation, and the rigor and discipline required, regardless of tradition. Beautiful wisdom, insight, and guidance from a truly humble and committed guru. I will read this several times over.
Mkostelac
Jan 11, 2010 Mkostelac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread so many pages that I think I read the book 5 times the first time round. A book bound in wisdom, experience, light and love. This book has helped me cross the bridge between yoga's physical and spiritual lessons.
Chandrashekar BC
computer is not just mouse clicking. something more complex and extraodinary things works behind it. similarly yoga is not just physical fitness, something more granular, extraordinary works behind.
Deidra
Sep 27, 2015 Deidra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I just finished reading this for the second time since September. Iyengar's humility and wisdom is so inspiring. He is one of the few people I truly, truly admire.
Cryptic Patterns
Mr. Iyengar shares his profound knowledge and wisdom in such a simple and straight forward manner. A great book for those who seek the true purpose of the gift of yoga.
Shanshan
Oct 20, 2016 Shanshan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book - it's just great to be reminded of something that we all are aware of but forget to put into action. The only two points that I don't agree with are references regarding women (women doing cooking and men making money for wife and children). Perhaps it's culturally related.
Eric C Cassidy
Dec 13, 2016 Eric C Cassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iyengar is my homie
Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer
Worth reading again.
Shahedeh Bfh
Jan 12, 2017 Shahedeh Bfh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book on the self and life's continuous journey of being a timeless student. Mr. Iyengar shares his extensive knowledge in such a simple and whole manner.
Amber Foxx
Aug 27, 2014 Amber Foxx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is my small contribution to honor the legacy of the author, who died last week. As a yoga teacher and life-long yoga student, I’ve been blessed to learn from teachers who learned from him and through his teaching tradition. His life’s work has shed light on mine.

This gentle yet challenging book integrates the philosophy and spirituality of yoga, the physical practice of yoga, and anecdotes from Iyengar’s long life. It was written in 2005 when he was in his mid-eighties. It’s organize
Jackie
Dec 16, 2016 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I was expecting too much from this book. I am writing this review a month after reading it, and remember barely anything from it.

The one part that stuck with me is Iyengar's description early on about continually finding new heights and space within a pose. This train of thought has informed my practice and allowed me to focus while being gentle on myself for not achieving perfection at the outset of an asana.
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (Kannada: ಬೆಳಳೂರ ಕೃಷಣಮಾಚಾರ ಸುಂದರರಾಜ ಐಯಂಗಾರ), (also known as Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar) (Born December 14, 1918 in Bellur, Kolar District, Karnataka, India) is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practicing and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has written many books on yogic practi ...more
More about B.K.S. Iyengar...

“The hardness of a diamond is part of its usefulness, but its true value is in the light that shines through it.” 1319 likes
“You must purge yourself before finding faults in others.
When you see a mistake in somebody else, try to find if you are making the same mistake.
This is the way to take judgment and to turn it into improvement.
Do not look at others' bodies with envy or with superiority.
All people are born with different constitutions.
Never compare with others.
Each one's capacities are a function of his or her internal strength.
Know your capacities and continually improve upon them.”
55 likes