EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Most of the world’s population now lives in cities. So if we are to address the problems of environmental deterioration and peak oil adequately, the city has to be a major focus of attention.

Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth’s biosphere. Unique in the li...more
Published April 1st 2006 by New Society Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

Kara
This is a book I wish Mr.Obama would read. Well him and a lot of other leaders from local to global. Perhaps some of the suggestions in the book are too extreme, but for sure it is a way we need to start thinking about community planning and community sustainability.
I am currently living in a German city where many of the core ideals Register is promoting in this book are already in existance. In a 10 minute car ride I can go from the city center in which I live to a totally rural landscape. The...more
Maddy
Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth's biosphere. Unique in the literature is the book's insight that the form of the city really matters - and that it is within our ability to change it, and crucial that we do. The book describes the place of the city in evolution, nature and history. It pays special attention to the key question of accessibility and transportation, and outlines...more
blue-collar mind
I met Richard when he ventured to New Orleans very soon after the federal levee breaks of 2005 to see if he could help. Had a few talks with him about rebuilding and ecosystems and went and bought this book. Really liked it for its lovely visuals and clear point of view. It did help me to think about natural systems as smarter than any built ones and wonder why we don't use the characteristics of what is around us more. I lend this book constantly and then have to spend months figuring out which...more
Stephie Jane Rexroth
This book will change the way you look at the outside world and how much we fight with it. All I see when driving now is sprawl, and I am much more conscious of our dependence on vehicles. This book equally covers the problems of our modern life that is out of balance with nature (car/sprawl/freeway/oil infrastructure) and provides the solutions (high-density, energy-efficient, low-impact, pedestrian-centric, 3-dimensional cities) and a solid plan to transition to ecocities as well.

Richard Regi...more
Lily So-too
So far, exploring the potentials that cities have for being more ecologically sound than rural living.

Begins with peak oil and the question of how people will live when this is no longer available for transport, agriculture and the like. Quite helpful for my thoughts on these matters which certainly are often present.
I thought this was a great idea, but I felt that the book lacked focus and really drifted a lot. I found the author repeating concepts and stories frequently throughout the book and only towards the end start to talk about real solutions. Overall, I enjoyed the book but I would have liked more structure.
Frank Sloth Aaskov
Gives you a whole new way to look at cities and a new idea about cities could be like. Though Register went to far with some of his ideas, where he celebrate the primitive and glorifies the pre-industrial time. That said, it's a visionary book which gives you a new outlook.
Pax Gethen
Ecocities: Building Cities in Balance with Nature by Richard Register (2001)
Lavonne Angelika
Lavonne Angelika marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Milcah
Milcah marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
育婷 謝
育婷 謝 marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Sandie Brown
Sandie Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Chelle J
Chelle J marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rita Chedid
Rita Chedid marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Orion
Orion added it
Mar 01, 2014
Will
Will added it
Jan 30, 2014
Jose Manuel
Jose Manuel marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ecocity Berkeley: Building Cities for a Healthier Future Village Wisdom, Future Cities: The Third International Ecocity and Ecovillage Conference Held in Yoff, Senegal, January 8-12, 1996