Start by marking “EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature” as Want to Read:
EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Most of the world’s population now lives in cities. So if we are to address the problems of environmental deterioration and peak oil adequately, the city has to be a major focus of attention.

Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth’s biosphere. Unique in the li
Published April 1st 2006 by New Society Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about EcoCities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EcoCities

Kara
This is a book I wish Mr.Obama would read. Well him and a lot of other leaders from local to global. Perhaps some of the suggestions in the book are too extreme, but for sure it is a way we need to start thinking about community planning and community sustainability.
I am currently living in a German city where many of the core ideals Register is promoting in this book are already in existance. In a 10 minute car ride I can go from the city center in which I live to a totally rural landscape. The
Maddy
Ecocities is about re-building cities and towns based on ecological principles for the long term sustainability, cultural vitality and health of the Earth's biosphere. Unique in the literature is the book's insight that the form of the city really matters - and that it is within our ability to change it, and crucial that we do. The book describes the place of the city in evolution, nature and history. It pays special attention to the key question of accessibility and transportation, and outlines ...more
Vanessa
Not what I was looking for. This isn't so much a how-to manual for building ecocities as an academic wankfest for environmentalism.

I could see my mistake from the first chapter, when I suffered through pages of doomsday philosophy about peak oil and people "worshipping at the altar of diversion from nature" (television) and so on.
Mind you, I don't disagree with the author's core sentiments. We should be building compact, walkable cities, not investing in better hybrid cars and 'green' building
blue-collar mind
I met Richard when he ventured to New Orleans very soon after the federal levee breaks of 2005 to see if he could help. Had a few talks with him about rebuilding and ecosystems and went and bought this book. Really liked it for its lovely visuals and clear point of view. It did help me to think about natural systems as smarter than any built ones and wonder why we don't use the characteristics of what is around us more. I lend this book constantly and then have to spend months figuring out which ...more
Stephie Jane Rexroth
This book will change the way you look at the outside world and how much we fight with it. All I see when driving now is sprawl, and I am much more conscious of our dependence on vehicles. This book equally covers the problems of our modern life that is out of balance with nature (car/sprawl/freeway/oil infrastructure) and provides the solutions (high-density, energy-efficient, low-impact, pedestrian-centric, 3-dimensional cities) and a solid plan to transition to ecocities as well.

Richard Regi
Lily So-too
So far, exploring the potentials that cities have for being more ecologically sound than rural living.

Begins with peak oil and the question of how people will live when this is no longer available for transport, agriculture and the like. Quite helpful for my thoughts on these matters which certainly are often present.
I thought this was a great idea, but I felt that the book lacked focus and really drifted a lot. I found the author repeating concepts and stories frequently throughout the book and only towards the end start to talk about real solutions. Overall, I enjoyed the book but I would have liked more structure.
Frank Sloth Aaskov
Gives you a whole new way to look at cities and a new idea about cities could be like. Though Register went to far with some of his ideas, where he celebrate the primitive and glorifies the pre-industrial time. That said, it's a visionary book which gives you a new outlook.
Pax Gethen
Ecocities: Building Cities in Balance with Nature by Richard Register (2001)
Vish Wam
Vish Wam marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Cydney Heed
Cydney Heed marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Denis Bistrov
Denis Bistrov marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Brian Mulloy
Brian Mulloy marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Jennifer Wilbanks
Jennifer Wilbanks marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Andy Caffrey
Andy Caffrey marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Fatemeh
Fatemeh marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Valentin Allard
Valentin Allard marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
follow the river marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Mohammad Alassiri
Mohammad Alassiri is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
  • The Smart Growth Manual
  • Home Work: Handbuilt Shelter
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Green Metropolis: What the City Can Teach the Country About True Sustainability
  • Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • Cities for People
  • Beyond Growth: The Economics of Sustainable Development
  • The Hand-Sculpted House: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage: A Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage (The Real Goods Solar Living Book): 10
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • The Hidden Connections: A Science for Sustainable Living
  • Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • Rural Studio: Samuel Mockbee and an Architecture of Decency
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • On the Grid: A Plot of Land, An Average Neighborhood, and the Systems that Make Our World Work
Ecocity Berkeley: Building Cities for a Healthier Future Village Wisdom, Future Cities: The Third International Ecocity and Ecovillage Conference Held in Yoff, Senegal, January 8-12, 1996