Start by marking “The Great Women Cartoonists” as Want to Read:
The Great Women Cartoonists

The Great Women Cartoonists

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A mesmerizing, in-depth look at the professional progress of women cartoonists from the 1900s to today. Organized by era, each chapter is packed with full-color art from such leading cartoonists as Cathy Guisewite, Dale Messick, Grace Drayton, and others.
Published November 1st 2001 by Watson-Guptill Publications (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Women Cartoonists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Women Cartoonists

Paul
This is my favorite of all Trina Robbins's works, though I'm very much looking forward to her upcoming book on Nell Brinkley. It's a good mix of introductory material and art to some of the comic book industry's forgotten (and not forgotten) women cartoonists, and what's amazing is that it's a much richer history than I would have originally believed.

Growing up, I could count the number of female cartoonists in the American comic book industry on one hand. In fact, I could do it on two fingers:
Julie
My introduction to artist Nell Brinkley :)
I picked this book up at a book sale at University and ended up using it for my thesis. Trina Robbins has done a few books on female cartoonists/illustrators and they are all amazing.
captain america
good overview of mostly unknowns. nice rare illustrations but robbins doesn't identify the year and issue of most. yeah i'm a geek. i really wanna know.
Laura Molina
I'm in it! Are you?

Malinal
Topinambulle
Topinambulle marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
MB Taylor
MB Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Belinda Davis
Belinda Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Brad Beeson
Brad Beeson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Apr 05, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
mr. fantasy
mr. fantasy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Allen Rubinstein
Allen Rubinstein marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Camille Hall
Camille Hall marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Kevin Delger
Kevin Delger marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Michal
Michal marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Marlys
Marlys marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Trina Robbins is an American comics artist and writer. She was an early and influential participant in the underground comix movement, and one of the few female artists in underground comix when she started. Her first comics were printed in the East Village Other. She later joined the staff of a feminist underground newspaper It Ain't Me, Babe, with whom she produced the first all-woman comic book ...more
More about Trina Robbins...
From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of Female Comics from Teens to Zines Lily Renee, Escape Artist: From Holocaust Survivor to Comic Book Pioneer Eternally Bad: Goddesses with Attitude A Match Made in Heaven (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #8) The Drained Brains Caper