Start by marking “Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home” as Want to Read:
Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home

Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In this groundbreaking book, noted landscape designer and award-winning writer Julie Moir Messervy and bestselling author Sarah Susanka reveal how to bring house and garden into perfect harmony. After all, who doesn't yearn for a landscape that is as well designed as the interior of their home? In "Outside the Not So Big House," Julie and Sarah teach you everything you nee ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Taunton Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Outside the Not So Big House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outside the Not So Big House

Ruth
Mar 15, 2008 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for home landscaping/garden design ideas and was disappointed. I had previously read Julie Moir Messervy's _The Inward Garden_ and found it much more useful. Reading Outside the Not So Big House, I felt there was a disconnect between the home design aspect and the garden design aspect, and neither aspect was discussed adequately. BUT, there are great photos and layouts of a number of greatly-varied landscapes and in the end one of the photos did validate an idea I had been tossi ...more
Ruth
Mar 15, 2008 Ruth rated it it was ok
Erika RS
Jun 01, 2012 Erika RS rated it it was ok
Outside the Not So Big House is, perhaps somewhat obviously, part of Sarah Susanka's "Not So Big" series; Susanka is listed a co-author although her content seems to be limited to side bars.

In general, when it comes to books like these, I prefer books that are focused on principles rather than case studies. Outside The Not So Big House is a book of case studies. The principles are there but buried. Mostly, the reader is presented with descriptions of home after home.

I suspect that I would have
Fran Fisher
May 31, 2015 Fran Fisher rated it it was amazing
This, like the Not So Big House books, is very interesting. Susanka and her landscape friend tie the inside to the beautifully developed outside by creating, like so many wonderful gardens, a series of rooms, each special and private and lovely. Many great ideas for making the personal landscape striking and pleasant.
Ernie
Aug 19, 2014 Ernie rated it really liked it
This book has helped me conceptualize outdoor spaces in a new way that is more coherent than before. I love gardening but sometimes have difficulty planning for the big picture. Very good inspiration.
Patty
Apr 17, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have fallen in love with all the books in the "not so big house" series. They are so reassuringly sensible and reasonable in our greedy, profligate, ridiculous times. Everybody wants more, more, more- but only for themselves and they don't want to share with others (yes, I am talking to you - 1%). This series is all about what we really need to make ourselves comfortable homes and the answer is not 10,000 square feet of house. This volume is on landscaping.
Marcie
Mar 31, 2010 Marcie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I thought this would be about gardening on an urban or suburban tract home lot but no, this had the usual custom homes on huge lots with gorgeous views and pools. It was all about maximizing the views of the lake not about minimizing the view of your neighbor's RV. The book was beautiful but not overly useful because it didn't really show many practical solutions for the small lots that go with most small homes.
Carol
Feb 26, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I'm totally ready for Spring! Went to the Home and Garden Show at the IX Center...saw many gardens with grand ideas. This book is great for getting ideas too. Real life people with real life yards...even if they are in Boston, Colarado Rockies, San Francisco and Santa Fe and can afford architects and landscape designers! I always like to learn from the experts.
Marjanne
May 24, 2011 Marjanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some beautiful homes and properties in this book. Some good ideas and it got me thinking about how best to utilize my own piece of land. However, I was disappointed that so many of the homes and yards were quite large. Not exactly "not so big". This is good for ideas and inspiration, but not so great for advice, etc.
Holly
Jan 28, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
If you want to change the way you think about your house and yard and gardens this is the book for you! I love the approach of these two authors ... its not about size or grandeur or cash on hand but about space and how to use it to create harmony between your house, nature and the outside.
Candy
Jan 14, 2015 Candy rated it liked it
Shelves: house-and-yard
Good pictures.
I didn't think the text matched up very well with the pictures of the gardens. Also, the diagrams were confusing, lots of arrows and large pictures divided up into panes.
I wouldn't buy this book, but it was worth reading from the library.
Deborah
Sep 02, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it
This would be good if you were building a home or doing a large-scale remodel. Helps with the concepts of linking the inside to the out. Not as helpful for established homes/yards. Still, a beautiful book.
Alicia
Apr 06, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
I love the ideas for designing indoor-outdoor spaces
that respond to modern lifestyles.
I'd wish I can combine some day architecture and nature
in the home and in the garden.
It is a goal
Teeni
Feb 18, 2008 Teeni rated it liked it
Thankfully, I received this book as a gift. Pretty watered down. Great pictures and good ideas, but a disappointment after the Not So Big House and Creating the Not So Big House.
Oona
Oct 11, 2015 Oona rated it it was ok
Not as helpful. Kind of seems like it's written for people with millions of dollars. It would be more helpful to talk about attainable designs and solving simple problems.
Pam
Feb 26, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening-home
Geared more toward the landscape designer but definitely great ideas and lush pictures. Review just as the updated companion text to Not So Big House.
Roxane
Jul 28, 2009 Roxane added it
Another excellent book by Sarah Susanka. Good for learning some garden/landscape design principles
Cathy
Sep 28, 2010 Cathy rated it really liked it
this one has great pix and insights. love it.
Emily Mellow
Sep 20, 2009 Emily Mellow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
great for pictures and dreaming
Trish
Sep 15, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
Non-Fiction; Home Improvement
3 stars
Elin
May 06, 2009 Elin rated it really liked it
Great garden book!
Z
Z rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Nina
Nina added it
Apr 25, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Constance Wills
Constance Wills rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Sara Knowles
Sara Knowles marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Shwetaa Salunke
Shwetaa Salunke rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
  • Inside the Not So Big House: Discovering the Details That Bring a Home to Life
  • Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn
  • Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia
  • The New Terrarium: Creating Beautiful Displays for Plants and Nature
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
  • Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design
  • A Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of A Misspent Life
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • How to Live in Small Spaces: Design, Furnishing, Decoration and Detail for the Smaller Home
  • Edible Landscaping with a Permaculture Twist: How to Have Your Yard and Eat it Too
  • Planting: A New Perspective
  • Perennial Combinations: Stunning Combinations That Make Your Garden Look Fantastic Right From The Start
  • Tiny Houses