Start by marking “The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces

The Edible Container Garden: Growing Fresh Food in Small Spaces

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
"No space is too small to grow delicious and healthy food."

Enjoying tasty and fresh produce no longer requires a trip to the local farm stand or gourmet grocery. With "The Edible Container Garden" as your guide, everything from salad greens and savory herbs to luscious fruits and vegetables can be as close as your patio, balcony, or rooftop.

"The Edible Container Garden" ex

Published March 30th 2000 by Fireside (first published February 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Edible Container Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edible Container Garden

Angela
Dec 27, 2007 Angela rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone who just wants a container garden PHOTO book
This book was not very helpful to me.

Most of the book is about making a container garden in a home with a small yard. It only had a very brief two page section about container gardening on a deck or balcony.

The information it does have is very poorly organized and jumbled. Trying to find specific information is very frustrating.

I would suggest this useful book instead : McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers (Paperbac
Emma Cooper
Jul 13, 2009 Emma Cooper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
This was one of the first books I read on gardening, and it's still one of my favourites. The author turned a suburban back garden into an edible paradise, and there's lots of useful information here for novices and keen gardeners alike.

Throughout the book the photos are inspirational, full of ideas on how you can make even the smallest of plots productive. Guerra takes you through the basics - soil and compost, tools, hard landscaping, pests and diseases - and shows you how to grow not only veg
Jenn S
Jan 22, 2011 Jenn S rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
This book is good for design in different areas, whether it's your square back yard, balcony, patio, etc. Gives some good information on companion plants and also the minimum depth soil requirements for different plants that are good for containers, and little blurbs on how to take care of them. Probably not enough information though on growing specific plants. Great for the other things I mentioned though.
Steve
Dec 15, 2007 Steve rated it really liked it
I haven't always had yard space to put in a garden so I've often relied on containers. This book provides the inspiration and know-how for such a project. There's a bunch of useful charts at the back that tell you how much soil various plants need as well as other helpful lists. The setup I've employed is by no means ideal, but I've been surprised a few times by how well things worked out.
Sam
Jun 01, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
Although this book is aimed more at those with a small yard rather than a window box or less it was still very useful and fairly informative, although a bit jumbled if you are looking for something specific. It provides a good basis on which to start and gives a comprehensive bibliography from which you can develop you growing skills further
Alyssa
Mar 16, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was ok
This is a fast and easy read, but is mostly pictures. The pictures are not usually relevant to what he's talking about and not used to make his construction ideas clear. Sometimes a little repetitive, the parts I found most interesting were almost hidden facts or tips that I'd never heard before.
Erika
Jul 29, 2009 Erika rated it liked it
This was pretty informative about using small spaces, but nothing was in order it seemed. It also dealt mostly with specifics, so if you are just beginning, terms that you wouldn't necessarily understand. However, there are charts and a lot of details to help with that. Good book.
Ellen
Mar 05, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
This book is super informative for any small space dweller who wishes to grow his or her own food. While it might not be the most comprehensive guide, it gives you the basics and has a very useful bibliography as well as starting points for online information gathering.
Liz De Coster
Apr 27, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, hobbies
Most of this book seemed a high-level (soil mixtures, etc.) for new gardeners, but I appreciated the chapter in the end listing good plans for containers and the specifics of growing them (light and water requirements, etc.)
Rachel
Jul 04, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I want to remember this book for reference when I am planning my garden this coming fall or spring. A great guide that illustrates how easy it can be to produce your own food on a small scale.
Jane
Jan 29, 2011 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment, garden
I enjoyed this book. Despite the title there is quite a lot of focus on growing in gardens as well as containers, which might be quite frustrating for a reader with no outside space.
JayBee
Sep 25, 2008 JayBee rated it it was ok
It's just all I want to do wherever I am: Grow food for my family!!! We are all about it, and I am not used to growing food in containers, so we will see... Just started the book...
Kim
Jun 28, 2009 Kim is currently reading it
There is a perennial onion - Egyptian Tree Onion. It grows back into the ground. More to come.
Kathryn Mckendry
Mar 29, 2011 Kathryn Mckendry rated it really liked it
Some good ideas and info. Just wish there was a little more detail on certain projects
May 15, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book, full of tips for growing your own when you don't have much space.
Ricky
Dec 05, 2011 Ricky rated it it was ok
beautiful, inspiring images, not super helpful text.
Nan
Jan 18, 2010 Nan rated it liked it
Some great ideas for small budgets and tight spaces.
Ashley Brodin
Ashley Brodin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Kamila Pawelczyk
Kamila Pawelczyk is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2016
Hei
Hei marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Terry Blakesley
Terry Blakesley marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Frank Foerster
Frank Foerster marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Mr Dan Williamson
Mr Dan Williamson rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
jan
jan rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
miss claudette b cole
miss claudette b cole rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • City Chicks: Keeping Micro-Flocks of Laying Hens as Garden Helpers, Compost Makers, Bio-Recyclers and Local Food Suppliers
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities