Spoiled Rotten

Spoiled Rotten

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A popular columnist for The Weekly Standard, conservative journalist Jay Cost now offers a lively, candid, diligently researched revisionist history of the Democratic Party. In Spoiled Rotten, Cost reveals that the national political organization, first formed by Andrew Jackson in 1824, that has always prided itself as the party of the poor, the working class, the little g...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Broadside Books (first published April 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spoiled Rotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spoiled Rotten

Dan
I was conflicted about this book going in. I have been a Jay Cost reader for 5+ years, going back to his time with Real Clear Politics (RCP). Initially, I intuited that he was a conservative (as I am), though it was not obvious from his analysis at first; over time, he became increasingly forward about his ideology. He wrote an FAQ on RCP explaining his conception of politics and policy that I found myself agreeing with almost 100 percent, down to notions of uncertainty, epistemological modesty,...more
Bojan Tunguz
The premise of this book is rather simple. In any democratic political system political parties that aspire for the control of the body politic will invariably attract various clients and interest groups with very limited and specific agendas. However, if a politician or a party is aspiring for a broader level of support necessary for a victory in election, that party or politician will need to make a broader appeal based on the sense of general good of the country. This constant tension between...more
Brian
This is an excellently-written, meticulously-researched history of the Democratic Party. It explains the often confusing history of the party in the twentieth century, and how it gradually, in fits and starts, metamorphosed from the reactionary, agrarian, Southern- and immigrant-dominated party that it was at the close of the Gilded Age, to the socialist-in-theory, fascist-in-practice monstrosity it is today.

The one tie that binds the old party and the new party is clientelism. Then, as now, the...more
Betty
This book never disapoints. Being old enough to remember the FDR/Hoover election I had a clear concept of the differences between the two parties and the reasons one made a choice until I had reached middle age in the 60-70s. At that point politics no longer made sense to me.
Spoiled Rotten was worth reading if only for it's lucid discription of the events and their influences which were strong enough to affect a dramatic change in the priorities of the Democratic Party.
In addition, it's a fascin...more
Alexander Scipio
Tought provoking. If the Democrat party really is pure clientilism - and Mr Cost convincingly demonstrates this to be so - then his conclusion is difficult to avoid: That today's Democrat Party is unable to govern for the national interest as it meets its obligations to its clients, and may be unable to do so for the foreseeable future. This conclusion is supported by swtiches by notable pols from the Dem to the GOP - Zell Miller, Artur Davis, etc.
Kimberly
Really enjoyed this. Destroys the liberal/media narrative that the Democratic party is "for the people, the underdog, the normal American," instead its focus is on specific, targeted client groups (lobbyists, special interests, welfare recipients) that receive benefits from the party at the expense of the entire American public and country. This focus drives the policy of the party, not national interests.
April
May 15, 2012 April marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Author argues that the "buffet rule" is a smoke screen to distract Americans from seeing progressive policies as equaling a net benefit for the country's top earners in guarantees. He claims that this is why the top bracket votes the way it does.

Lisa Tangen
I was dismayed and disgusted by the book's descriptions of greed and deceit of people in power - who use public office for private gain...sadly, it seems to be just the way things are...I marvel that our country has survived as long as it has
Todd
Excellent well researched analysis of the Democratic Party evolved from the party of the working man to the party of privileged special interest and client group. A scary read for lovers of a true representative republic.
Jerskimo
Good history of Democratic party, but a little unfocused. Jumped around a bit, repeated a bit. Still worthwhile.
Alison Hirt
Alison Hirt marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Kyle D
Kyle D marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Susan Barsy
Susan Barsy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Talyah
Talyah added it
Oct 18, 2013
Anika
Anika marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Brian S. Wise
Brian S. Wise marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Phil Melton
Phil Melton marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Simon Evangelist
Simon Evangelist marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Republic No More: Big Government and the Rise of American Political Corruption