Start by marking “The Iliad” as Want to Read:
The Iliad

The Iliad

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Kingfisher Epics are action-packed retellings of classic tales and legends, with all the exhilaration and immediacy of their original versions. Magnificent black-and-white illustrations bring the heroic deeds depicted in these stories dramatically to life. These stories have enthralled readers for centuries, and Kingfisher Epics make them accessible to a new generation of ...more
Published August 12th 2004 by Kingfisher (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Iliad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iliad

Benjamin Wong
Sep 28, 2011 Benjamin Wong rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is extremely bloody. I don't recommend reading it unless you are fine with loads of violence. For the most part though, this book should prove interesting and exciting. The first few chapters don't have much going on, but after that, bang, there seem to be like battles every chapter. It talks about people getting killed in all sorts of gory ways, but it provides you with something entertaining and exciting to read. :D
David
This book told the stories of a mythical soldier Achilles and his fight against the prince of Troy, Hector. It was also about the king of Sparta Menelaus and his war against the Trojan prince Paris, over the beautiful Helen. The book does a great job of narrating the whole story until the very end of the battle even when the god's themselves partake in the war.
Acton
The Iliad is a great story of the Trojan War. There is hips being crushed by rocks,swords through the back of heads and then through eyes, and much more blood spilling. I thought books could not be bloody, I was wrong the Iliad is more bloody then Jaws. I love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julie
I found this translation somewhat choppy, and the story overall -- surprise! -- really violent through the whole middle section. My daughter and I read it as a bedtime book and it took us a couple months because we weren't motivated by the prose to pick it up.
Boring. I get it: there was a super long war and there were a lot of gory deaths. It's like reading a summary.
Tiffany
Good intro to the Iliad for younger readers
Cristine Braddy
One reviewer said this was like reading a summary. I totally agree. It lacked the emotion of Homer's poem. It was even questionable as to whether or not Achilles is the hero of the story. It was an okay intro to the work for my kids but a little boring.
Nathan J.
The Iliad was an okay book. I would not recommend this book if you are looking for an exciting book. This book is about war over a woman Helen to be exact. This story has some interesting parts.

My favorite part was when Achilles battled Hector. Even without physically seeing it I could not believe all that happened in a fight between two people. Want to know what happened? Just read the Iliad.

So if your looking for a time passer pick up a copy of the Iliad right away. And if your looking for a
Laurie
This version is good for kids 12 and older. I had to do a lot of Mom-editing during many nasty battle scenes, as well as a love scene (not graphic). Reading about 9 years of war is dull and hard to follow. Suprisingly, to me, who has never read The Iliad, the Trojan horse part of the story comes in during the 'Epilogue' and is written out in 2 or 3 sentences. I thought it was the best, most creative part of the book, but Homer just tosses it in at the end. Interesting.
Mohammad Amini
اين نسخه ى خلاصه شده با ترجمه ى زيباى حسين ابراهيمى(الوند) براى افرادى كه فرصت و حوصله ى خواندن متن اصلى را ندارند بسيار مناسب است و به خوانندگان مشتاق تر نيز كمك مى كند در صورت مطالعه ى متن اصلى با آگاهى از قصه دچار سردرگمى و كج فهمى نگر ند.
Daria Intheskyy
Daria Intheskyy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Angela B
Angela B marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Olivia
Olivia added it
Nov 03, 2014
Lydia
Lydia is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Landi Cranstoun
Landi Cranstoun marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Phương Nguyễn
Phương Nguyễn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Quaddy Uptown
Quaddy Uptown is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nick McCarty is a playwright and scriptwriter whose credits include The Wolf Road and series for UK television. Nick has written many plays and book adaptations for radio.
More about Nick McCarty...
Alexander the Great Marco Polo: The Boy Who Traveled the Medieval World Troy The Myth and Reality Behind the Epic Legend FOX - Cromwell's Spy A Confidential Agent