Start by marking “The Little Lame Prince” as Want to Read:

The Little Lame Prince

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1874)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Lame Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Lame Prince

Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
Sep 28, 2016 Hailey (HaileyInBookland) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
*Read for class*
Kirsten
Mar 11, 2009 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Once when I was about 8 years old, I got sick while on vacation in California. Unfortunately, it was the day we were all scheduled to go to the beach. I was crying as I watched them leave down the driveway of my granma's house. My grandma, in an attempt to make me feel better, started to read to me from this book. I kept begging for her to continue, and so she read to me most of the day until it was finished. The memory is so precious to me, I wouldn't give it up for a thousan ...more
Althea Ann
I would've liked this better if the narrative voice was a little less intrusive. The narrator/author tells us that this originated as an oral bedtime story for her daughter, and the style very much reflects that. It actually reminded me quite a lot of the episodic tales that my mother told me as a very small child. That made be feel warmly toward the story in general, but as an adult, I still found it a bit... hmm, not quite condescending, but perhaps a bit too... instructive?

The prince of the s
Elisha Condie
May 27, 2011 Elisha Condie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is a very old book that my mom loved growing up. She found it at an antique store and then made me read it, because it was such a favorite of hers growing up.

And I think it's one of those books that you have to grow up loving. It was very sweet- almost TOO sweet, really. The writer addresses the readers directly (a la Jane Eyre) at several points to ask you how you might have felt if such-and-such had happened to you. The poor little lame prince is locked away in a tower until his godmot
Krista
Feb 12, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am giving this book an "amazing" rating, however I'll admit that's the opinion of my eight year old self. I had no idea that this 1875 fairy tale was already a hundred years old when I read it. I didn't notice the language to be very "Victorian", but then I was an odd little girl. The story of the little crippled prince affected me so profoundly I simply refused to return it to the library. I wanted to keep him and protect him. Sister Agnes Jerome was NOT amused. I got a lecture on stealing. W ...more
HJ
May 06, 2016 HJ rated it really liked it
It's been many years since I read this charming, but bittersweet story. Goodreads doesn't actually show the edition of the book I own, which was handed down to me from my Grandfather, who received it as a gift from his aunt in 1925 for his 5th birthday.
Cindy Amrhein
I went to Art Park back in the 80s, an outdoor theater-on-the-grass, to see a musical of The Little Prince. I was like, “Wait a minute, this isn’t the story! What’s with all the planets?” Silly me. It was an adaptation of the Little Prince called The Little Prince and the Aviator, and not what I was thinking at all. The book I loved was The Little Lame Prince by Miss Mulock (Dinah Maria Mulock Craik). My copy is by M. A. Donohue & Co. and has no copyright date. I'm guessing circa 1914 based ...more
Gale
Jun 08, 2013 Gale added it
VICTORIAN FLYING CLOAK!

In ten gentle chapters with simple sketches we meet another charming child--this one lame but royal, and an orphan. (Somewhat reminiscent of Old Testament Jonathan's crippled son.) A healthy baby prince is dropped by a careless nurse enroute to his christening; when both his parents die, he is at the mercy of his ambitious uncle/regent who has him secreted away to a lonely tower on a barren plain. (Reminds me of the Chinese folk tale: The Emperor and the Kite).

With only
HL
Nov 15, 2013 HL rated it it was amazing
Like many others, I read this as a child and my memory of it was that it was spellbinding. I found it in our church library and didn't want anyone to find me in there reading it because I knew they would make me leave it and I didn't know when I would ever get to come back. To this day, when I visit that church, I can't even find the library anymore. (So Harry Potteresque a memory - a missing yet delightful room that appeared when I needed it most - but that is another story.)

Again, like others
Mary
Feb 13, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful find this story was. I imagine it would make a lovely bedtime read-aloud for a child, as it would provide opportunity for conversation on accepting hardship, how one might react when things happen out of our control, and the importance of forgiveness and humility. Very rare to find in a (well-written) children's book.

[This rating and review applies to the ten chapters of "The Little Lame Prince" rather than the five short stories I was surprised to find at the end, and didn't en
Debbie Petersen
This is an example of a book you read as a child that stays with you forever. I don't even remember how old I was when I read it, but recall clearly the flights of fancy my mind took as a result. I was young enough to be able to dream about being locked in a tower by an evil uncle and flying to freedom. I remember becoming so caught up in the story that I read it on a folded blanket on the floor that I could pretend was my own traveling cloak. I am delighted that it is still in print!
Bouthainah Abdullah  240521
The little lame prince when I start to read it in the beginning I felt boring but when I read it more I understand each part and what they said about the prince . This book was amazing and I like it a lot because I learned how to deal with ather people and alao it learned us to be nice with people and don't make them imbaresing so I suggest everyone to read this amazing book because it's really interesting .
Tira
May 21, 2011 Tira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories are a bit involved for small children. However, the stories are nice moral based fairy tales.
This Kindle version holds six stories.

The Invisible Prince
Prince Cherry
The Prince with the Nose
The Frog Prince
Clever Alice
Martha
Apr 20, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most children and teens
Recommended to Martha by: my grandmother and mother
Shelves: kindle
This book examines the prejudices of many societies, and resilience of children with handicaps. I first read this one summer as a child, then again as a teen, and this is the third time. This book deserves to be considered a children's classic.
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Loved this book at a child! Several scenes from it made indelible pictures in my mind I have to this day.
Karen
Apr 04, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
One of my childhood favorites.
Maggie Leivas
Jan 20, 2011 Maggie Leivas rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books when I was a kid. Read it again as an adult and still enjoyed it.
Hadas Cassorla
Oct 29, 2007 Hadas Cassorla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a GREAT book. I remember it still and I read it as a 9 year old maybe?
Sarah Sammis
Oct 15, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it did not like it
The book came with a sentimental recommendation from a dear friend. I was reading an old, well-read copy with delightful illustrations. Despite all these positives, I loathed the story.

Prince Dolor is paralyzed by his nurse, orphaned and locked away in a tower all in the first chapter or two. Before all this tragedy is heaped on Craik manages to create an interesting kingdom rich with traditions but she tosses this all aside to instead create a miserable childhood for her royal protagonist.

I rea
Patty
Jan 22, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
Tracey
Jul 03, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several Years ago, I picked up an 1893 edition of this little book in a little Antique store in Connecticut. It has an inscription on one of the first pages: "Merry Christmas to Maggie, from Nellie. Dec. 25th 1897. What a cool thing. I got it out and read it again the other day, but got to the end and remembered that it was missing about the last three pages. I found the whole story on Wikisource, and copied it to put in the book. Very Cool.
It's a wonderful little story about a little prince w
Norma Christensen
Jul 26, 2011 Norma Christensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this little old fairy tale at my Mom's house. The inscription which was hand written on the inside cover said, "Ila Carlisle, I am 14 1/2 and I have light brown hair and right now it is fixed like this and is pretty. I have blue eyes and ugly teeth and ugly smile. I am not so hot looking. I had a heavenly time at Marg's wedding."
My Aunt Marg got married in August of 1936. I was intrigued about how this young girl felt about herself, and how I felt about myself as a young teenage girl.
I
Mroberts
Oct 22, 2012 Mroberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-2
the writing in this book is very formal, and typical to the standard fairytale reading. Because of my disinterest in fairytales generally, I had a really hard time into it, right at first. But, once I got through the main 'fairytale part', then it became poignant, and then, right towards the end, it even became clever. I gave it three stars because of how slow it was in getting to the point, and how inanely formal it also was. but that is my own personal taste..as far as qualifying/rating it as ...more
Dex
Mar 25, 2013 Dex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not appeal to many young children now, as the voice and story are a bit aged. But it really is an adorable story that stays with you after reading. It isn't particularly exciting, but it draws you in emotionally, and has you rooting for the prince the entire time. It has a lot of themes that children should learn, as well as a great deeper meaning (which I won't spoil). It's really a very cute, magical little story. I recommend it, for children as well as adults, who I also think can appr ...more
Mary
Jun 08, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Like many others here, I read this book when I was about eight years old, and absolutely loved it. I reread it recently, and found it as wise and well-crafted as I'd remembered. Dolor and the nurse are unforgettable characters, and so is the godmother! It's true that the language is old-fashioned and the narration a bit intrusive by modern standards. It doesn't matter. This gentle story has considerable emotional depth, and it still comes through.
Valerie
My grandmother bought this book for me when I was a young teen-ager, and she told me it had been a book that she enjoyed as a child. I thought that was pretty special to share books with me, as she did throughout my childhood. I've been looking for this title, and just re-discovered it here - Only going by "memory" in regards to what the story was about, I remember enjoying the story, but it's been so long since I've actually read it. Wanted to get it added to my "shelves" ;)
Samantha
Jan 26, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This book was okay. I thought it was pretty good, but I'm not quite sure if it is proper for children of certain ages considering all the death that happens. But, I guess these things happen and they need to be faced at some point. (view spoiler) Overall though, a well written story with a good inspiration base. =)
Chanell
i've had this book for years and as i was cleaning out my closet, decided to pick it up. it wasn't a bad read. for some reason, i was expecting a profound read similar to my experience with the little prince. but this was a simple pleasure. gleaned the lessons for my heart, that my disabilities shouldn't limit me from what is perceived as the impossible. although her novel focused on physical disabilities, it encouraged my heart do what people say i cannot do.
Alicia
Josh enjoyed this old 1901 story about a crippled prince sent to a far-away tower after his uncle seized the throne. At one point when the author went off on a tangent, Josh muttered in frustration, "Oh, skip the fluff!" but we enjoyed the little adventure of the prince reclaiming his throne with his magic traveling cloak. It was fun to find the Christian parallels, too.
Doug Cannon
May 04, 2010 Doug Cannon rated it liked it
My mother read this book to me and my brothers and sisters when I was quite young. I have not read it or seen it since, but have often wanted to read it again and read it to my kids. I recently bought a hard-cover 1920-1930 edition on ebay and have now begun reading it to my kids. I believe the book has been in print since about 1870?
Around the Year i...: The Little Lame Prince, by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik 2 14 Mar 22, 2016 03:40PM
  • Shadow Castle
  • On Golden Pond
  • The Bears of Blue River
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • Noisy Nora
Dinah Maria Craik (born Dinah Maria Mulock, also often credited as Miss Mulock or Mrs. Craik) was an English novelist and poet. She was born at Stoke-on-Trent and brought up in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.

After the death of her mother in 1845, Dinah Maria Mulock settled in London about 1846. She was determined to obtain a livelihood by her pen, and, beginning with fiction for children, adv
More about Dinah Maria Mulock Craik...