Start by marking “Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family” as Want to Read:
Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family

Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family

BETTY GOES VEGAN is a comprehensive guide to creating delicious meals for today's vegan family. This must-have cookbook features recipes inspired by The Betty Crocker Cookbook, as well as hundreds of original, never-before-seen recipes sure to please even meat-eaters. It also offers insight into why Betty Crocker has been an icon in American cooking for so long-- and why s ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Betty Goes Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betty Goes Vegan

Tracy
Feb 07, 2013 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, vegetarian
I am really disappointed. There is too much processed food in these recipes. This cookbook might be best for long-time vegans who don't have non-vegan cooking references from which to cook. So many of these recipes use soy replacement products....fake beef tips, fake chicken, fake shrimp, fake cheese. Why bother with a vegan cookbook for these recipes? I can just use my non-vegan cookbooks and substitute the animal based products with the soy-based variety and come up with nearly the same thing ...more
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I'm a child of the 70's that grew up learning to cook and bake out of my mother's Betty Crocker cookbook. When I was fortunate to receive a free copy of this title through Goodread's First Reads, I was thrilled with the opportunity to preview. I had read the authors' blog a few times and I knew that they were vegans with nostalgia on their minds. And they did not disappoint.
On first view of the cookbook, familiarity and nostalgia are on full display. The cover features primary aka friendly co
Courtney Lindwall
Jun 24, 2013 Courtney Lindwall rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Meat and Non-Meat Eaters!
Shelves: 2013
Bottom Line: Very processed ingredients. Not that healthful. From what I've tried, though, fairly tasty. Good when cooking for meat eaters or special occasions.

I am fully vegan, and my fiancé usually eats vegan with me but is not as strict. But the more important distinction is that he is not nearly as health-oriented as I am. This book works more for him. There are still a lot of processed foods in here. It uses a lot of the meat substitutes, like Gardein or Boca, which can make eating vegan a
Katey
Feb 01, 2013 Katey rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
It's difficult for me to rate this cookbook, as I haven't made any of the recipes, and won't, as it's a library book that must go back and all of the recipes that look interesting enough to me to actually try are not gluten-free (I think there was only ONE recipe in the entire book that boasted being GF). My husband is GF (I am not) and I'm just not going to go through getting all these more pricey, processed ingredients to make something only for me.

At best, this seems like one of those vegan c
Kendan Lovell
Aug 19, 2013 Kendan Lovell rated it it was ok
This is a book for Americans. I wonder why it is being sold anywhere else (I bought it in Australia) because pretty much every recipe incorporates a branded product that I assume is only sold in America. I am tired of vegan cookbooks being published from America that do not use actual food as ingredients.

I like the sound of these recipes. If only there was a way to make them from raw ingredients. Really I don't think a cookbook should exist if it relies on so many premade, processed foods. Kind
Bonnie Hill
Mar 05, 2013 Bonnie Hill rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's more than vegan. It's more than recipes. It's an intelligent look at what Betty Crocker meant at one time and what she means in retrospect. If you are not a vegetarian, you will find recipes you can't resist. If you are a fan of well-written nonfiction, you will have a new favorite book. If you are interested in the history of women's roles in the kitchen, that's just the frosting on the vegan cake.
Sandy  Kemp
Mar 25, 2013 Sandy Kemp rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vegan people
Shelves: vegan
well, this is a very interesting book. It relies heavily on meat and dairy analogues as ingredients, which is sort of interesting, as I didn't have a lot of ideas on how to use these. I made the Roasted "chicken" and vegetables, which was a big hit, except for one teen who did not like the chicken, but loved the vegetables, seasoning, etc.

I plan to try a few more reciptes.

She has a lot of sweet recipes (that girl loves donuts!). I like that in a cookbook :)
Peacegal
Jan 22, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
I was glad I got this book from the library rather than buying it unseen. Don't get me wrong, I like this book. Or rather, I like the idea of this book. Betty Goes Vegan makes me want to show up on Dan and Annie Shannon's doorstep and ask them to cook for me. Alas, it's not something I can use for its intended purpose, which is a recipe book.

The Shannons are absolutely right when they say nobody loves food as much as vegans. Every veg*n or animal rights-centered event I've ever attended have bee
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Jan 04, 2013 Laura Hoffman Brauman rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Oh happy day - I got an advanced copy of a vegan cookbook at my office! I love a cookbook that is as much fun to read as it is to cook from -- and this fits that bill. From a recipe perspective, it focuses on using vegan substitutes -- and this is helpful as I try to be more adventurous with my ingredients. From a daily use perspective, I changed my eating habits to be mostly vegan for health reasons -- and most of the recipes in the cookbook are not geared towards healthy eating. I will use it ...more
Katie
Mar 07, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-book
Worth it for the whoopie pies alone! I love the intro and notes by the authors throughout the book. I love the color and layout of the book. The recipes are fairly straightforward and easy. The only reason I'm not rating as 5 stars is because sometimes the ingredients call for meat analogs that aren't available everywhere.
I'm very excited to try out several more of the recipes, as the cheezeburger pie was a huge hit with my husband, and the whoopie pies and donuts were a huge hit with me ;)
Violet Laflamme
Jan 11, 2017 Violet Laflamme rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook. I've heard it criticized before because a lot of the recipes rely on mock meat but it's a concept cookbook, and the concept is veganizing classic Betty Crocker recipes so I don't really know what they were expecting? Many sections though are more or less mock meat free, and even in the Main Dishes section it isn't like it is 100% full of mock meats. I love this cookbook for when I'm feeling like something classic I'd eat from before I was vegan, or a new take on an old food ...more
Brigid Keely
May 14, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, cook-books
"Betty Goes Vegan: Over 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family," by Annie Shannon, is a modern take on classic comfort food, only vegan-ized.

This is not the cookbook I was looking for.

I have friends and family who fast regularly for religious reasons, or who can't consume dairy and/or eggs due to allergies, so I've been looking to expand my vegan recipes. I picked up this book at the library thinking it'd have some go-to easy recipes that were bean and veggie heavy... and to an extend they ar
Debra Daniels-zeller
Sep 05, 2013 Debra Daniels-zeller rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food
I chose this book by the topic and because it has an amazing cover photo. Classic recipes made vegan--what a cool idea. I love the way many old recipes are redone using vegan ingredients in this book, my favorite sections were the salads, especially the dressings, and the desserts, especially the cupcakes. The book is doorstopper thick and with 500 recipes a person could use these recipes over and over and not require another cookbook. That said, I would have given it a 3.5 overall becauses I wi ...more
Shannon
Apr 27, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I only started to cook when I went vegan, so I don't have any of the cookbooks most basic kitchens tend to have. No Julia, no Betty, no Joy of Cooking - this girl has Veganomicon, Blissful Bites, Vegan Eats World, and Chloe's Kitchen. And they're all amazing! But they mostly eschew convenience products and opt for 100% homemade, which I can tackle once or twice a week, and that's about it. "Betty Goes Vegan" makes cooking on a weeknight easy! I made the Panzanella Bake which required minimum pre ...more
Melissa
Dec 25, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Love it! It will take me some time to really cook through it, but wow, this is a book to whip out to shut up some omnivores. The ramen with hardboiled egg was fun, easy, and delicious! The simple and delicious seasonings are of particular interest to me because I tend to misuse my spices when it isn't for curry or cinnamon rolls. The easy, and delicious "egg salad" tofu seasoning mix is as good as what you buy in your deli section.

I've been a huge fan of the Shannon-style Tuna Casserole since t
Kellie
Jun 20, 2013 Kellie rated it really liked it
This cookbook was very entertaining to read! Interesting historical information on Betty Crocker and amusing intros to recipes (anyone who references Star Trek: The Next Generation several times in a cookbook is genius). Many of the recipes are heavy on fat or fake products for my taste but it seemed like you could fairly easily either leave it out or substitute products if you preferred (tempeh, beans, etc). Also I feel like it's appropriate for them to use these products in this cookbook since ...more
Erin
May 21, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
This is a difficult cookbook for me to rate as I have not actually made any of the recipes, but glancing through shows most of the recipes use a lot of processed foods (there is a lot of information on how to obtain these ingredients, though!), or ingredients that require another recipe.

That said, it is HUGE and very obvious the author couple put a lot of time and effort to cook through 2010 Betty Crocker Cookbook and make those recipes vegan friendly. Hats off to them!

I'm torn on whether or no
Jayna
Jan 07, 2014 Jayna rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-lib
Honestly, this stuff is tasty. But like others have mentioned, the recipes in this book include a lot of processed foods like imitation meats, eggs, sour cream, etc. The recipes are fairly easy and fun to make, and I liked how all the ones I've tried taste, but if you're looking for a healthy, sustainable diet, then this isn't the cook book for you. I try to strike a balance between eating raw/whole foods, and having fun with the more processed stuff (making it easier in my opinion to walk the v ...more
Kimberly
Dec 01, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was ok
This is a great idea - classic recipes made vegan. Unfortunately it still relies far too much on commercially produced processed foods. Dozens of recipes start with vegan burger patties, which in my mind isn't much different than feeding your kids chicken nuggets and pop tarts. Different ethics, certainly, but if you're going to take the time to buy a cookbook and follow a recipe, I do think at least most of those recipes should involve cooking from scratch. Like I said, neat idea, and the anecd ...more
Nan
May 26, 2013 Nan rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I am vegetarian, not vegan, so I am not the target audience for this enormous cookbook. The recipes use a LOT of mock meats and vegan substitutes (vegan mayo, vegan cheese). This isn't surprising if the inspiration is Betty Crocker - if you are trying to make chicken tetrazzini or fried eggs vegan, you need to use vegan cheesy sauce and Gardein products. This book was good for inspiration, but I'm not likely to make any recipes. Perhaps if you are a meat-and-potatoes person trying to convert to ...more
Diana Bogan
Oct 18, 2013 Diana Bogan rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-pantry
I'm glad I found this at the library and was able to check it out for free. I have to concur with the other reviewers that aren't in favor of using "fake" replacement foods. I'm not 100% Vegan, but I am working towards my goal of eating fresh, real food and was hoping a cookbook like this would help. Even as a non-vegan I don't buy boxed processed ingredients. So if I'm going to be a Vegan I want to incorporate my buy local, make it from scratch habits.
Cindy
Feb 23, 2014 Cindy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I admire that the author tried to do here but the results are way off. Replicating meat dishes with fake meats and cheeses does not sound at all appetizing. If they replaced the meats with fruits and vegetables, that would have been something. This might be a good book for some people just starting out on a vegan diet that feel like they are missing meats, but not for those trying to eat a whole foods diet.
Fishface
Jan 15, 2016 Fishface rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook, vegan
The desserts in this cookbook are great, but I am lukewarm at best about all the entrees in here -- and the breakfasts look revolting indeed. This might be a wonderful collection for someone who is already a confirmed vegan, but for someone just starting out it is going to look like an array of inedibles made of rubbery fake meat, flavored with chemical eccch. They would have done better to focus on unprocessed, natural foods.
Kathy
Mar 23, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Picked up at the library, which I do with most cookbooks first to see if worth buying. I basically skimmed this cookbook, covering most of it. Well laid out. However it isn't how I cook. Most of the recipes call for mock meat; Tofurky this and Tofurky that. We are also not big tofu eaters. If you are comfortable using/cooking with fake chicken and such, then this cookbook if probably a good one for you. I am more along the lines of cooking with greens, beans and whole grains.
Katie
Apr 02, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Excellent concept, flawed execution. I too grew up with my mother's copy of the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's the epitome of Middle-American, Mid-Century, classic junky cooking. The problem I had was that even in their vegan versions, the recipes are still rather junky, and full of processed foods. I tend to like to keep my food a little bit more natural, but I comment Annie Shannon for her efforts.

I purchased this one for the library, because it will definitely go out.
Astrid Yrigollen
Jul 07, 2014 Astrid Yrigollen rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great cookbook to have for anyone who wants a healthy option to eating. I liked it because it contained a little bit of everything for the vegan. While admittedly the only animal product I eat is cheese , a cook book like this helps me to not even eat that. From snacks, salsas,main meals to desserts and drinks this book is very handy for everyone.
Kira
Oct 30, 2013 Kira rated it liked it
Super fun and I loved the witty commentary but like other reviewers have mentioned, the amount of processed ingredients in the recipes makes me give a lower rating. I try to stay away from fake meat and cheese products and this book calls for many of those items in the recipes. I would still recommend this book with the suggestion to substitute out those items when possible.
EsEfEm
Dec 25, 2013 EsEfEm rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
Every recipe in this book that uses fake meat uses nasty processed crap from the freezer aisle. That sucks.
BUT everything looks really good, and it'll be easy to replace with my own seitan.
I was going to give this 3 stars until I saw Baby Bluths. And I like the little history lessons scattered throughout the book.
Karen Kobylka
Jan 02, 2016 Karen Kobylka rated it really liked it
Delish food that is more labor intensive and rich than I care for, but certainly competes with the Standard American Diet flavor expectations! Great to make foods Vegan and healthier but not entirely healthy.
Eva Smith
Jun 20, 2013 Eva Smith rated it it was amazing
I've actually tried a couple of recipes in this cookbook -- which is high praise since I'm not much of a cook. I checked out Betty Goes Vegan from my local library and then purchased a copy. I'm a vegetarian with vegan tendencies. Maybe this will help me cross over.
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Party Vegan
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Big Vegan
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book