Start by marking “Countdown to Daddies” as Want to Read:
Countdown to Daddies

Countdown to Daddies (MLR Fathers Day 2012)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Even gay dads have pregnancy pains.

Matteo and Gabe have everything they could ever want out of life, except for a family all their own. When Gabe's twin sister offers to be their surrogate, it’s a dream come true until she insists they be completely involved in the pregnancy. The new dads quickly realize they may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Published June 15th 2012 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Countdown to Daddies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Countdown to Daddies

Almost Like Being in Love by Steve KlugerShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderNaked by David SedarisI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune
Best LGBT Humor
73rd out of 208 books — 323 voters
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
191st out of 315 books — 454 voters

More lists with this book...

♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
He Wants To Be A Baby-Daddy
3.5

Gabe is 42, Matteo is in his late 20's and the two of them are about to start a family. Gabe's twin sister, Mira, has offered to be their surrogate and the story follows this family unit throughout the pregnancy.

Gabe is a big tattooed bear of a man who's funny, a bit high strung, a bit of a worrier and kind of a like a teenager wrapped up in a 40-something year old's body. Gabe had me laughing more than once and I really enjoyed his character. He cares about people
Vio
Perfect pick me up this was so adorable loved it, Gabe was hilarious in his anxieties and hang ups with becoming a father and Matteo is so cute keeping him on track!
Kaje Harper
This is a sweet, funny story about Gabe and Matteo, two guys in a longterm relationship making the decision to have a baby by surrogate. Matteo is the sperm donor and the willing mother is Gabe's twin sister, which is lovely and familial, and at the same time a bit weird and uncomfortable, at least for Gabe. I laughed out loud more than once at the interplay between Gabe and his sister, and loved the playful quality of Gabe and Matteo's relationship. This is a short story, but I heard rumors the ...more
Deeze
Not only sweet and funny, but as cute as the cover implies. My only complaint is its too short lol. I would love a follow on, maybe a few years from now. Watching Gabe trying to control a toddler or saying goodbye at the school gates for the first time would be the perfect cherry on the top.
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Matteo and Gabe's relationship is in transition. Spanning from idea, to conception, to pregnancy to delivery, their relationship is evolving at a quick pace as they try to adjust to the impending delivery of their first child. This is a story about how Matteo and Gabe work together in their relationship as well as a story about their frightening and exciting impending fatherhood. Gabe is a 40-something silver bear of a sort, and unlike assumption is
Kinny
Gabe is 42 years old and Matteo I guess is about 28. Matteo is the mature, level headed sexy twink and Gabe is the huge muscular bear but is hilariously childish and immature (he is responsible and a clean freak though). The interaction between Gabe and his twin sister Mira is hilarious! Snark galore had me snorting in laughter and Gabe's antics were so out of character from a bear of a man I estimate to be at least 6'4. I seriously recommend this to everyone. Especially gay men who want childre ...more
CJ
LOVED this book!! I haven't laughed out so many times in I don't know how long. And it's a short story too! 48 pages and it didn't feel short at all. K-lee did a fantastic job showing Gabe and Matteo's love, strength and weaknesses so well. And how they knew exactly when the other needed them. Loved how Gabe and Mira interacted! Reminded me of me and my siblings. lol And Bill, yeah he's a genious. This is def a fav of mine and I can't wait to read more of Ms. Klein's work!
Candice
A very good cute and fun read. I would love to see how it turned out as they got older, I think there would have been a lot of fun time. Worth reading.
Enny
That was absolutely hilarious!!!
Lucy
One thing needs to be very clear on this story – you have got to enjoy the process of pregnancy. Not the making of the baby, but it is the countdown to the baby of Gabe and Matteo, surrogate mothered by Gabe’s twin sister, Mira (who is a joy unto herself, the way she talks and acts. A great female character, yay!) The story begins with the “it’s time!” phone call (loved them immediately, Matteo for being huffy the all-important sticky-note didn’t get to be on his side of the bed, and Gabe for be ...more
Camille
Cutest book cover ever. I've seen this cover on other books too and it still charms me every time I see it. That was the extent of my enjoyment, however.

This book did nothing for me. It seemed formulaic and made use of one of the tropes I dislike: the childish partner. It does not matter if the childish partner here is male, as opposed to the Barbie female or is the bear and the older of the couple. Some people, from reviews I read, were apparently enthralled by this mix-up. I found it transpar
Catherine
This story was totally adorable. I'm not even ashamed to admit that I snort-laughed my way through most of it. :)
Nichole (Dirty H)
Not much to sink your teeth into here. It's cute enough, but I bet if you sat down and imagined you were a gay man (maybe you are!) awaiting the birth of your baby, your experience would be just as satisfying.
SheReadsALot
Nice, slightly humorous short story with cuteness all around. A good enough in between read or in my case, a pleasant way to defrag the brain after an intense read.

Cheers.
Sadonna
Really really cute story! Loved Gabe and Matteo. Mira is hilarious and Bill is the rock. So so so funny! Would love to see how these two cope with parenthood.
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
3.5 three for story and half point for cute cover.
Dallison
Laugh out loud funny o far. Loving it!
Mistral
So cute and funny!! I really liked it.
jules0623
The cover is adorable and earned one star all on its own. The story is okay. The characters aren't very fleshed out and, while I liked the format the author chose, I think it would have been much more effective for a longer story as it felt quite rushed.
Amanda
I really enjoyed this story. Coming in at 49 pages, it was cute, sweet and a bit funny. The story brings us through the MC's decision to have kids up until homecoming after the hospital.
Leaundra
This was the sweetest and cutest story and it was so funny. I was cracking up all through the book. I loved everyone in the book but omg Gabe was too funny:-)
Veronica /  V
This is so cute, funny, make me laughed so much.
I would love to read a story as how they meet, that would be just adorable.
Megan
Was lucky enough to read the early version of this story :D Cute, hilarious, they're all totally adorkable :3
Arzu
Too cute for words ... just adorable!
Gabbi

I have to admit I love a beautiful book cover and I think the cover to Countdown to Daddies is totally adorable! The cover alone would make me want to purchase the book (I know…it’s a sickness, right? LOL) Since it’s also a K-lee Klein book AND it has a gorgeous cover, well it’s simply a no-brainer for me to want to read and review it.

The blurb does an excellent job at describing this little gem of a book. Matteo and Gabe have been together for five years.
Sammy Goode
I really loved this little story! It had humor, heart, and just enough sarcastic repartee to keep me chuckling the entire time. And at the end when I was wiping my eyes for the hundredth time it wasn't due to just the incredibly humorous storytelling but to a genuinely sweet story that ended with such tenderness that--well, yes--I needed a tissue or two.

The story is a simple one. It takes us through the process of two men using a surrogate to have a baby that they can adopt for their own. But th
Raisa
loved this! this was so funny and so damn sweeet!
i instantly loved Gabe although he's the oldest ,he acts so childish.
i liked Matty, he is the relaxed and mature of the relationship.
wished this was longer tho...
melek
Gabe in the 40s matteo in the 20s wants to start a family Gabes sister agrees but of course this will be weird since it will be mattoe sperm but still weird because gabe will be their uncle as well as their dad. BUt it will be perfect if only gabe can let go. They cant wait for their babies to come.
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • The Manny
  • We Danced
  • Bianca's Plan
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • Inspiration
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
  • An Earlier Heaven (Good to Know, #2)
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Daniel's Dream (Men of Charlestown, #3)
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated, #1)
  • The Trouble With Angel (Baseball #1)
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • The Lonely Heart
  • The Statue
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • Love, Delivered
~~ K-Lee Klein has lived in one part of Western Canada or another for her entire life. She's a doting mother of three now-grown kids and has had characters and plots running around her head for as long as she can remember. Though she's fairly new at throwing her original fiction out into the web universe, she hopes to substitute her passion for writing beautiful, emotional men for her previous job ...more
More about K-lee Klein...

MLR Fathers Day 2012 (6 books)
  • The Card
  • Family Is Forever
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • Waves of Gold and Smoke
  • When Souls Collide (Lancaster's Way #1)
Lazy Sundays Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1) Lazy Valentines Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1) Las Palabras De Amor - Words of Love