Start by marking “Red Tide” as Want to Read:
Red Tide

Red Tide

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  636 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
When both old and new secrets are uncovered at a burial site, the timetable of a madman moves up…

Jamie Taylor and her human remains detection dog set out to find some bodies buried for more than a decade. They found them—and some new surprises as well.

"For fans of the serial killer genre, RED TIDE is an engaging, well plotted story with characters you won't forget." —L.J.
Published April 30th 2012 by Bark Publishing, LLC (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Red Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Tide

Plainsong by Kent HarufBlind Thrust by Samuel MarquisThe Coalition by Samuel MarquisThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Slush Pile Brigade by Samuel Marquis
Colorado
45th out of 117 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheryl
Jul 04, 2012 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because the author is my cousin and am glad I did. I couldn't put it down. I loved the inclusion of the dogs as crime solvers. I did figure out early who the bad guy was, but that didn't matter. I loved watching everything unfold. I always appreciate strong female characters. I really appreciated that there was only a little mild language and no smut. A good clean read, especially if you love crime novels or TV shows. Thanks, Peg. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Jenny Hilborne
Aug 12, 2013 Jenny Hilborne rated it really liked it
Red Tide is set an exciting suspense in Colorado. Bodies are discovered at a burial site. Believed to be the victims of a serial killer, who died some time ago, the situation changes when newer corpses are discovered among the older ones. The ME, the dog handler whose job it is to find the dead, and the FBI are left with a growing number of questions.

The story starts out well and is immediately engaging. The writing is crisp and tight, and the author introduces an interesting cast of characters.
Seana
Feb 27, 2015 Seana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think fans of Rizzoli and Iles (I've only seen the series, not read the books)would enjoy this. It's got competent and likable female characters who have pretty bad luck when it comes to choosing men, but seem to be pretty well recompensed by having great women friends. Plus, there's dogs! The writing is accomplished and the author has a great feel for her Colorado setting. A very promising first novel.
Rishika S.
Nov 02, 2013 Rishika S. rated it it was ok
As far as books in the serial killer genre go, Red Tide has absolutely nothing new or interesting to offer. The blurb of this book promises so much, but the book fails to deliver on almost each front.

To begin with, the story is far too predictable. I'm not saying predictable as in, "I knew who the killer was from Chapter 3." That's a given (although the chapter number varies). It was predictable down to every detail, including the choice of the next victim. With that being the case, it was very
Lynda Kelly
Dec 07, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
What a disappointment. This sounded such a great story. A girl involved with her dog in searching for dead bodies finds a huge murder dump but there are some real surprises with the bodies they uncover. However, there are loads of mistakes and basic mistakes too....repeated parts of sentences, the word set replaced by s3t, constant apostrophe errors and one dog's name changed from Sam to Hank in the space of a couple of pages.
Ruined it for me and meant I deleted it. I gave 2 stars instead of 1 b
Pat aka Tygyr
Sep 17, 2014 Pat aka Tygyr rated it it was amazing
Jamie Taylor loves her dogs and 2 of them help find buried bodies. She lives to do this volunteer work. But it is starting to interfere with her job at the local bank. Her boss tells her to keep the volunteer work with the police to after work hours or find a new job. She hates it, but agrees. She needs the money. Her sister Jax is married to a cad who spends more money than his wife makes and they are always in money trouble and Jamie tries to help when she can. Jamie is divorced from an abusiv ...more
Kelley
Aug 24, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Novel received courtesy of Goodreads.com Giveaway

A mystery novel with a new twist--I enjoyed it! It was a novel I read in 2 days which I also enjoyed. Peg Brantley came up with the idea of mixing a Search and Rescue Dog handler with a burned-out FBI agent and then a crime with terrorist implications. It was great! The characters were well-developed. I hope that she is working on book #2!
Audra
Aug 14, 2012 Audra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and intense. Its great to read an action packed mystery serial killing book without the vulgar language and gruesome details. Being close to law enforcement as well as fire and rescue this book captured my intrigue. Of course being a dog lover helped too!!! Kudos to Peg Brantley!!!
James Pratt
A good read with some well developed characters. I found the plot intriguing albeit slightly predictable. A worthwhile read for a freebie but one question remained unanswered after I had finished...What's with the plane crash???
Judi
Jan 18, 2016 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a first read for me by this author. Very good book, lots of action.

Jamie Taylor works at a bank, but on the side she is a Search and Rescuse with her 3 dogs. When she is called in for a case, her dog, Gretchen and her find at least 14 bodies buried. They thought this was a serial killer who done this 10 years ago, but why are some of the bodies were killed just recently. The serial killer could not have done that.

FBI Nick Grant has been following the serial murderer, Leopold Bonzer, fo
Kim
Sep 15, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I really couldn't put it down. I considered this book a nice treat. :)
Robert Carraher
Nov 03, 2012 Robert Carraher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery – as much a whodunit as a what-done-it - , wrapped up in a page turning thriller. It’s rare when a debut book in a much scrutinized genre is written this well. The story and premise is original, the plot excellently executed, the dialog drives the piece along at a relentless pace (I finished the book at 2:36 a.m. and if I hadn’t been so satisfied, I would have been mad at myself since 5:00 a.m. was just around the corner and not to be avoided). The characters seem plucked from re ...more
Lisa Biegel
Oct 23, 2012 Lisa Biegel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a worthwhile read, but does require a certain degree of patience to get into the high paced action. The first third of the book focuses a great deal on character development, and gives the reader an in-depth look at the characters and what makes them tick.

The story follows Jamie Taylor, who is a banker by day and moonlights as a forensic dog handler. Jamie is haunted by a violent ex husband, the death of her mother by a serial killer, and the loss of her father after he sets out to ave
Mary
Jun 09, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Jamie Taylor lives in a small town in Colorado. She works in a bank as a loan officer to make a living. But her passion is working with her forensic dogs doing search and resuce missions. She gets called in to work on an old FBI case where a "killing field" has been uncovered. These murders occurred 10-12 years ago but in the process of discovering old bodies she and her dogs also uncover some more recent kills. Her sister is the local M.E. and gets involved in trying to solve the more recent de ...more
Debbi Mack
Aug 21, 2012 Debbi Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Taylor has a most interesting hobby/avocation. She volunteers to help police find where the bodies are buried – literally. She and her dog, Gretchen, that is.

Jamie is asked to assist the cops in determining whether a serial killer named Bonzer created a mass grave within which to hide his victims. Jamie’s devotion to this work seems to border on obsession. However, Jamie has ghosts from her past that may explain her intense desire to help murder victims’ survivors cope with their losses an
Dorothy Gagnon
Aug 15, 2014 Dorothy Gagnon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely Intriguing Mass MurderMystery

Captivating mystery involving an intelligent FBI law enforcement team that utilizes educated and compassionate local experts and a dedicated Search and Rescue team to locate bodies to solve many 10 year old, multiple Cold Case murders. Romance blooms between some of the team as they locate bodies only to find not just the Cold Case ones. but discovery of new bodies that lead to fear of another mass murderer using chemical toxins.

Sue
Feb 07, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of Jamie Taylor's family and the loss and devastation caused by the murder of her mother 10 years before. Jamie thinks she has met the man of her dreams, yet something pulls her toward FBI agent Nick, who at first she despises. He isn't thrilled with her dogs or her either. An interesting plot and likeable characters and an interesting ways the crimes of the past are intertwined with more recent crimes.
Susan
Nov 08, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Red Tide is Peg Brantly's first book and I eagerly await reading more from this author.
Believable characters living a ' normal' American life--except for 2 men who are connected even though one doesn't realize that because he dies in prison early in the book!

I enjoyed the inclusion of the cadaver dogs and their wonderful human companion and her willingness to be involved in body searches.

The mystery and the story twist are well written. It took me a little while to figure out the 'bad' guy and
Angel Graham
Nov 20, 2013 Angel Graham rated it it was amazing
Reading through some of the reviews, I am stunned. Trying to figure out if we read the same book, or perhaps the author made substantial changes, and edits based on negative reviews.

Nonetheless, I found Red Tide to be an amazing story. I found the characters real, the storyline compelling, the plot was believable. Unlike many of the books I have been reading lately, the dialog in Red Tide did not seem forced or stilted.

I rarely give out five star reviews. A book must have that extra something sp
Kristen
Feb 25, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
If you love a great compelling thriller, you'll enjoy this one from Red Tide. For Search and Rescue dog handler, Jamie Taylor, she's on her toughest assignment yet. Someone's out there after there and making a move on her and her family. When new bodies turn up with the old, those secrets turns up from the grave. A madman's out there, concocting the perfect experiment to kill humans unknowingly. She goes toe-to-toe to FBI Agent Nick Grant, who's not much of a dog lover, and works with her to sol ...more
Elaine Plourde
Aug 10, 2014 Elaine Plourde rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book.The characters were really great.I liked the waay the author got two main stories together and solved them both. She even got family and friendships into it between the F.B.I. agent with his estranged daughter and the Taylor family.
Jack
Sep 07, 2014 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good whodunit thriller

Good story about a serial killer turning mass murderer/terrorist, FBI, ME, a Search & Rescue Dog Handler and assorted characters. Good characters and storyline.

And dogs. Always good when there are dogs.
Donald R Coscia
May 27, 2015 Donald R Coscia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't mess with the sisters.

Well written and a great plot. You will enjoy the unfolding story And fall in love with the dogs too. Nice twist on a mass murderers attempt to bring his goal to a higher level.
Linda Cole
May 28, 2015 Linda Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Really got into the mystery and liked the characters and the type of work they did. It added to the plot. At the end it seemed the author was trying to wrapped the mystery up
Dec 12, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and solid thriller with an entertaining plot. The characters are a bit stereotypical and the outcome is predictable. Still, the book will hook you and you will enjoy it a lot.
Neva Williams
Good story, although sometimes a little unbelievable. I really liked the characters. I will definitely try another book by this author. I love mysteries - love dogs and love the two of them combined.
Flsunluvr
Jul 20, 2014 Flsunluvr rated it it was amazing
Great murder mystery but I'll be a little picky and complain that with all the technical/scientific knowledge the author exhibits in this story, someone should've caught that an animal does not have an autopsy - it's necropsy. Other than that little glitch, I enjoyed the story.
Latricia Freeman
Great book

Well written . Couldn't put it down. I will read more of ms Brantley books. Loved the relationships between the characters.
Lynda
Feb 26, 2015 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First novel ... enjoyed it

Some reviewers complained about multiple errors. I agreed with another who said the number of friends Jamie had was too many. But I liked this book. A lot.
Michelle R Bunkholt
Great book

what a great storyline. I loved the characters and the descriptions off them and the area and details were outstanding.
  • Malicious
  • Grave Situation
  • The Moose Jaw
  • Post Pattern (Burnside Series #1)
  • Death by Proposal (Caribbean Murder, #7)
  • First Aid Manual: The Authorised Manual of St John Ambulance, St. Andrews Ambulance Association and the British Red Cross
  • Nursery Rhyme Murders Collection
  • Tortured Memory (Brier Hospital #4)
  • Blood Forest
  • A False Dawn (Sean O'Brien, #1)
  • Total Victim Theory
  • Blackdown
  • The Mystery of Jessica Benson
  • Blue Fall (The Tournament, #1)
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • A Touch Of Magic
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
A Colorado native, Peg Brantley is a member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers, Sisters In Crime, and Colorado Authors' League. She and her husband make their home southeast of Denver, and have shared it with the occasional pair of mallard ducks and their babies, snapping turtles, peacocks, assorted other birds, foxes, a deer named Cedric and a bichon named McKenzie.
More about Peg Brantley...