Start by marking “The Formula for Murder (Nelly Bly, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Formula for Murder (Nelly Bly, #3)

The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
History, mystery, murder, and mad science accompany plucky Victorian newspaper reporter Nellie Bly when she travels to the haunted moors of England to investigate the mysterious death of another journalist.

Refusing to believe the young writer committed suicide, Nellie’s search for the truth takes her from foggy Londontown to the ancient Roman ruins at Bath and the eerie la
Published July 17th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Formula for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Formula for Murder

Beth
Feb 05, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a murder mystery set in the late nineteenth century and the heroine is Nellie Bly, a famous American newspaper reporter who is looking into the death of her friend and fellow reporter in London. Along the way, Nellie teams up with various historical figures (Oscar Wilde, HG Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle) who help her solve the mystery. I liked this for the most part, but found the dialogue a little far fetched for the times, while the actions of most of the supporting characters seemed about ...more
Neil Campbell
This has been my first series that I have to read as soon as possible. Nellie's adventures rank up there with many of my favorite action/adventure heroes. Add to the mix the mystery and historical references and I have my favorite genre now headed by a heroine. The only problem I have is that these stories essentially take place out of the states, yet Nellie is a New York reporter. But the books mention that Nellie actually wrote books concerning her time undercover as a prostitute in the States ...more
Red Ferry
Mar 08, 2012 Red Ferry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another rollicking mystery following the fictional sleuthing of girl reporter Nellie Bly. This time Nellie teams up with HG Wells and Arthur Conan Doyle for a dangerous adventure that takes her from London, Bath and finally the murky moors of Dartmoor (the setting for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic "The Hound of the Baskervilles") Fans of Ms. McCleary's two previous Nellie Bly. mysteries will not be disappointed!
AliceinWonderland
Nov 17, 2014 AliceinWonderland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
- Quite disappointing, as I thought the premise sounded really good and the book started off seemingly very well-written, but then went downhill after that.
- All of the foils and ploys and "plot twists" just seemed a bit cartoonish and the dialogue was really not well-written and unnatural.
- And although I adore literary figures: Oscar Wilde, Sir Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, I found it a bit outlandish that Nellie would actually encounter and/or know any one of them! I don't know if this was a hi
Kim McGee
Jul 30, 2012 Kim McGee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoa Nellie! I have always been fascinated by the real Nellie Bly and Carol McCleary's depiction of her and other very famous people like H.G. Wells, Oscar Wilde and Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle cannot be touched.
Once again Nellie is off on a journalistic adventure off to London to investigate the murder of her friend who supposedly killed herself while investigating a story about ladies spas. Nellie knows the young woman would not have killed herself and begins to uncover a horrific plot to kidnap y
Nicola
Just didn't work for me. The novel was okay but (aptly) it did feel too formulaic as it managed to cram in historical figures including Oscar Wilde, H.G. Wells, and Arthur Conan Doyle. It also didn't entirely manage to avoid the trap of inserting travelogue/ into character dialogue which always feels unnaturally stiff and a break to narrative flow to me.

Margaret1358 Joyce
The novelty of 1st-person narrative related by 19th century newspaperwoman Nellie Bly is captivating, as is the setting ( London, Bath and the Dartmoor Moors), the interwoven history, and the well-plotted unfolding of 'murder most foul.' In all, an entertaining read, however emotionally cool as a consequence of the victorian language.
Erin H.
Oct 10, 2015 Erin H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the depictions of historical characters and how well they were integrated into this fictional story, but the ending was kind of predictable and tired. The build up was wonderful but the resolve was completely what I expected.
Cindy
Sep 18, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nellie Bly is at it again and I really enjoy the over table dialogue with Oscar, Conan and HG. This was a great pace, good story line and I liked the characters....cause they are based on real people.
Katie
Aug 21, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the book was based on real people, like Nellie Bly, H.G. Wells, Oscar Wilde, and Arthur Conan Doyle. It made the plot more interesting to me.
Elaine Pease
Feb 23, 2013 Elaine Pease rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovered McCleary and now I'm on her third history mystery "The Illusion of Murder," p.217 (and what does it mean if I look at the clock after checking what pg. I'm on and it's 2:17??).
The Formula for Murder follows reporter Nellie Bly (and I love this real life character thrust into these murders, without it being a stretch) and other real life characters like Jules Verne (love interest) etc. and a Jack the Ripper type. It's eye candy for the Victorian mystery starved reader.
Jodi
Not great, but I just love the historical characters so much that it's totally worth it.
Peggy
Sep 11, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved that Oscar Wilde was back, and the addition of Arthur Conan Doyle and H. G. Wells as new compatriots for the intrepid Nellie B! Could have done without (or at least much less)inner monologue from Nellie about sex, should she, shouldn't she, blah blah blah.
Mary
Aug 01, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story with a strong supporting cast. Well paced with lots of surprising twists and turns. The only negative is that the end seemed a bit rushed but still provided a satisfying conclusion. Looking forward to the next Nellie Bly mystery. Highly recommended.
Wen Cameron
Nov 09, 2012 Wen Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wen by: no one, I just noticed it at the library.
I enjoyed The Formula for Murder very much. A great story with a lot of twists and turns. First book I,ve read of Carol McCleary can't wait to read more.
Lauren
Nov 11, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun, engaging mystery based on real-life historical figures like Nellie Bly, Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells and Oscar Wilde.
Ann-Marie
It was fun reading about a tuff young female reporter meeting Mr O Wilde, Mr HG Wells and even Mr Arthur C D.
Sharon
I enjoy this series alot & have to go back & catch up on the few that I missed at the beginning!!
Linda
Jun 25, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it as much as the second one.
Diane
Feb 25, 2013 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
British who-dun-it. Decent read.
Rachel Adrianna
Rachel Adrianna marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Ioana
Ioana rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Brownie
Brownie rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2016
Joe Parmley
Joe Parmley rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Olivia Reynolds
Olivia Reynolds rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Teresa Kucera
Teresa Kucera is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Recipe for Treason (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #3)
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • The Palace Tiger (Joe Sandilands, #4)
  • The Thief Taker
  • A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • A Tournament of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #3)
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders (The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries #5)
  • The Three Body Problem
  • The Daughters of Gentlemen (A Frances Doughty Mystery, #2)
  • Mosaic
  • The Lady Flirts with Death (Simon & Elizabeth, #3)
  • The Last Nightingale: A Novel of Suspense
  • Deadline (Cetin Ikmen, #15)
  • The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)
  • Flowers for Her Grave (Grim Reaper Mystery, #3)
  • The Lost History of 1914: Reconsidering the Year the Great War Began
  • The Counterfeit Guest
Carol McCleary was born in Seoul, Korea and lived in Hong Kong, Japan and the Philippines before settling in the USA. She now lives on Cape Cod in an antique house that is haunted by ghosts.
More about Carol McCleary...

Nellie Bly (4 books)
  • The Alchemy of Murder (Nellie Bly, #1)
  • The Illusion of Murder (Nellie Bly, #2)
  • No Job for a Lady