Start by marking “The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year” as Want to Read:
The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year

The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year

The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year guides new and expecting mamas on a journey past "shoulds" and "musts," back to the heart of true joy and relationship. Motherhood has been targeted by advertisers, and bombarded by opinions masquerading as medical necessities. Massaro and Katz are helping mothers reclaim a simpler, more connected first year with ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Full Cup Press (first published March 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Baby Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Baby Book

Jenne
Jul 02, 2012 Jenne rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, birth-work
This book is similar in content to Sarah Buckley's Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering but with a more casual familiar tone of mothers sitting down over tea at a play date. I would recommend The Other Baby Book as a good introduction to gentle attachment parenting for parents to be and parents new to traditional (eg non-conventional) parenting philosophy and practices.
Karla
Dec 19, 2013 Karla rated it liked it
Take this with a grain of salt. Like they say - use what you want and discard the rest.

update: I like that it is a different perspective from what I've read in other books.
Jan 31, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: ap-etc
I picked up this book because of the image floating around Facebook comparing the “old necessities” to the “new basics” (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.ne...). I didn’t read any reviews or descriptions, and I sort of feel like I should have. First of all, I really dislike it when books are written as if it’s a friend talking to me. My friends don’t talk to me like how this is written in the first place. So I hate the writing style, but I am usually able to overlook it if the information is g ...more
Leah
Dec 06, 2013 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: pregnancy-baby
The Other Baby Book had a wealth of information on alternative, gentle, natural approach to parenting. This is commonly referred to as "Attachment Parenting". As with most books on babies/children I took the good and left the bad alone. They cover topics such as birth, physical touch, milk, sleep, potty, relational aspects, weaning, and a few other things. It is written by two ladies, which I think helps bring some balance to it, but still it is attachment parenting to the core. They advocate br ...more
Cindy
Apr 14, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
I'll start out this review by mentioning that the book was not what I expected it to be. Since I am about to be a first-time mom, I was looking for a book that would give you guidance on a baby's entire first year, things like how to properly bathe a baby (especially intact boys), what temperature to keep your house, how to dress your baby for the seasons, what to do if your baby is feeling under the weather, and other every day situations that a fist-time mom would want to know, all with safe a ...more
Tamara L.
Aug 22, 2016 Tamara L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-kids
a nice book coveting basic information on natural alternatives & gentle parenting. it is not detailed or step-by-step guide but i prefer it this way as it gives me the opportunity to select what subjects i want to read more and try e.g. elimination communication, baby led solids, sign language... i've traveled to certain countries in asia and latin america for nature and culture. i love observing the culture and people's daily life, i was impressed with how little baby/parents-gear people ma ...more
Christina Cater
I can't really tell if this book was disappointing because I have already read so much detailed info on the topics presented or if it just failed to meet my expectations. For me this book was an overview of many practices which are considered "non-traditional" in the US. It's a very brief overview for those seeking first time exposure to a number of practices like natural birth, EC and cloth diapering. I did find the info on nursing, greening your sleep spaces from toxins and baby-led weaning to ...more
Natalie
Aug 19, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newly-read-2014
If you are me and need to give someone an overview book to understand your baby-opinions, this would probably be the book. It's a good starting point and good comfort reading, but the obsessive in me wants more!!!

P.S. I advise you to not read this shortly before your SO phones you, as if to specifically say, "Well, I just don't believe women need to breastfeed in public, why can't they just do it in the bathroom?" (I may have even been willing to engage his opinion in the first half, but the bat
Tara Wallingford
Mar 25, 2013 Tara Wallingford rated it liked it
Good introduction to attachment parenting, but not totally realistic. I was excited to read this, but it took me a while to finish. I did feel that it talked down a little to those that have to work or be away from their kids for any length of time. I think mommy and baby yoga classes are great, but I like taking my own yoga classes too and going out with just adults sometimes. Plus, though it was an introduction, there were some topics that were focused on more heavily than others. Definitely g ...more
Alane Kataria-Rennie
Jul 20, 2012 Alane Kataria-Rennie rated it it was ok
I liked this book and learned a couple of new things, but am wary of Attachment Parenting. I had never heard the word convenience used as a negative until I read this book! I'm sure they're right that baby's needs should trump all others, but I think we need to be realistic, too. The best parent is one who feels somewhat rested and content and I don't know if it's possible for everyone to be those things when they're always doing exactly what baby needs to the minute.

Also, I didn't think the boo
Amy
May 09, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this quick, easy read. It wasn't new information for me, but I had already done some soul searching and research about how I wanted to parent with my first. This book just reaffirmed my values, and gave me a confidence boost that I'm doing the right thing by trusting my instincts 100% with this baby who is 3 weeks old. If you already breastfeed, co-sleep, baby led wean, EC, etc then this won't have anything new for you, but it's still a great read. The tone is just perfect to re ...more
Jen
Nov 22, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this - though I will say it is an easy, quick read, so it's great for beginners or people who are unfamiliar with some of the topics and just looking for a quick introduction. Most of the stuff I'm already familiar with, so this was just a quick refresher/recap, but I loved how the book reinforces to you that you instinctually know what to do, so follow your gut and your instincts, regardless of what everyone else may say.

We don't practice everything in the book, but do several
Michelle Johnson
Sep 19, 2012 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Excellent book on attachment parenting, including things like baby lead weaning (otherwise known as eating real foods), breastfeeding, immunizations and co sleeping. Basically they preach to do what feels right no matter what is in "style".

Oddly I was an attached parent 21 years ago before there was even a word for it. I just did what felt right. Since then I've read Dr Sears, and many others. I had a thing or two to learn from in this book too with baby number seven.
Annabel Youens
Mar 14, 2013 Annabel Youens rated it it was amazing
A super practical guide to your new baby. I loved the focus on "less stuff" and it's exactly why I bought the book. A big thumbs up for me was the main message the author's convey - here is a lot of information, but don't worry you'll know what to do with your baby. I found the information very well researched and well written. Certainly one of the best baby books I've read. Also check out their blog.
Becky
Sep 08, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Had already planned to read this before a friend gave me a copy. Some interesting ideas, but the book's chatty tone ultimately comes across like a bossy/overly opinionated friend. The authors attempt to cover a wide variety of topics, but in so doing can touch only briefly on each. Too bad - I am curious about elimination communication, for example, but found little in the way of how-to's and too much grandstanding about "potty learning."
Rebecca Rose
Aug 22, 2013 Rebecca Rose rated it it was amazing
I loved that this book basically summarizes several "natural" approaches to parenting without preaching. It explains the basis or origins of each practice and offers a list of other books that go into each practice more in-depth. I learned so much from this book. I wish I'd read it before I even got pregnant, since it also tells of several methods to prepare your body for pregnancy. Everything I've tried from this book has been really helpful.
Anna
Aug 18, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
A quick, easy-to-read overview of pretty much all "hippy" choices there are for raising babies; one of which I hadn't even heard of. Each chapter is broken down into small sections and contains a segment from an expert on the topic. From breastfeeding (kinda sad this is considered alternative…) to baby-wearing to baby-led weaning it's a great start for mommas who don't think the majority have it right.
Katie
Jul 22, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
This is a good introduction to attachment parenting, but I think I'll read more. I would have preferred if there were footnotes instead of just list of references, but I can't tell if that's the fault of the Kindle version or not. Also I generally frown at the validating references to homeopathic medicine that occurred a few times; that is dangerous.
Destinee Solis
Dec 06, 2013 Destinee Solis rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book although I wish I would've read it during my pregnancy and not eleven months later. It's a stepping stone to the many options you are given if you decide to do attachment parenting. It gives you a brief description of everything and resources if you would like to further yourself into a certain topic.
Courtney
Sep 01, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing

Excellent book. Wish it had been published before my first daughter was born so I could have read about some of the things that I had to learn along the way with her. Makes you think about different approaches than what is popular or main stream. Also made me think more about the plastics and chemicals used in so many products and the safety/health issues they may pose.
Emma
Jun 05, 2012 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While it would have been nice to have read this earlier (I requested the library order it which meant I had to wait), it was actually a nice refresher on certain baby-rearing topics and helped to boost my confidence on some things I had innately already been doing.
Jessica
Nice collection of personal stories as well as explanations behind alternative approaches to the first year of child rearing. Not a very academic book in any way, but a good way to get a grasp on real people's experiences.
Lindsay Schiltz
Apr 05, 2016 Lindsay Schiltz rated it liked it
Get book

I found this site very good read and shared a lot of clips from it! I recommend this book! And will keep it to pass on to other moms too
It's nice to know they way I think and feel is the same as others and I learned from this book and took some guidance from it.
Monika
Dec 09, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby
The book doesn't go too deep into the topics it discusses. Instead you get more of an overview of a few important subjects. But still if you're someone who's new to them, it'll give you a solid basis for further exploration.
Margaret
Oct 21, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
I don't hold with all the ideas in this book, but I really like the way that they present them, and the education factor. It presents information off the mainstream in a concise and easy to follow manner.
Mandie
May 14, 2012 Mandie rated it really liked it
Definitely an AP book. Some people will agree with everything and some with none. Authors tell you up front that the purpose of the book is to empower you to research and think for yourself. A good starting point for someone new to mothering. Nothing terribly in-depth.
Rebecca McFarling
Aug 08, 2016 Rebecca McFarling rated it it was ok
Hippie baby book - Elimination Communication, straight to solid foods
Oana Vulpe
Jan 12, 2015 Oana Vulpe rated it it was amazing
Amazingly written and documented book. |Loved every bit of it and I will keep rereading it to remind myself about what being a mom really is. Closeness and love.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hippie-parenting
I am as AP as they come and this book read like total propoganda. Like most AP parents I know, they assume "natural"=AP which is simply not the case. That drives me crazy.
Sherri
May 23, 2012 Sherri rated it really liked it
Much of the info was basic. I found the chapters on Elimination Control (think potty training infants based on their innate cues) and weaning to solid finger foods particularly interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care
  • The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don't Tell You, What Corporations Try to Sell You, and How to Put Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Before Their Bottom Line
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • The Attachment Parenting Book : A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • Easy Labor: Every Woman's Guide to Choosing Less Pain and More Joy During Childbirth
  • Two Thousand Kisses a Day: Gentle Parenting Through the Ages and Stages
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

“Look closely at this new being. Learn from him how delightful and simple life is meant to be. It's just an instant of time,” 0 likes
“The Circumcision Decision If you have a baby boy, chances are you’ll be asked whether or not you want to circumcise him in the hospital. Most of us have inherited a vague sense that circumcision is somehow cleaner or healthier. But these are myths. We’ll share a few facts to jumpstart your research. - The significance of the infant’s pain is often overlooked in circumcision. Hospitals use painful Gomco clamps that sever nerve endings, and most docs make the cut without anesthesia. - Many infants go into shock as a result of the pain they experience in circumcision, and the breastfeeding relationship may be compromised as a result. - The circumcised penis is no cleaner than an intact penis, and requires far more care during the healing process. - “...[P]rofessional societies representing Australian, Canadian, and American pediatricians do not recommend routine circumcision of male newborns.” ~American Medical Association What if you plan to circumcise for reasons of Jewish faith? In Jewish circumcisions, - Boys are circumcised eight days after birth, when natural levels of Vitamin K are the highest. - Anesthetic is traditionally given (in the form of a tiny amount of wine and/or numbing agents). - Mohels (traditional circumcisers) don’t use painful skin clamps. Overheard… After reading up on circumcision, I knew I didn’t want to go through with it. The first reason was medical: the AAP doesn’t recommend routine circumcision. My second reason was emotional. It went against my mama bear instinct to protect my baby. Convincing dad was more difficult. He wanted to have his son like him. (I asked him if he and his dad compared their penises; the answer was no.) My husband watched videos of the procedure being done but had to stop them before they were over. He’d thought it was a simple snip of the ‘extra’ skin, but it’s not. The foreskin is actually fused to the head of the penis, like a fingernail to a nail bed. We took our baby home from the hospital the way he was born, and we haven’t regretted it. ~Lani, mom to Bentley Want to learn more? Check out the Circumcision Resource Center online, a helpful resource filled with medical and psychological literature for those questioning the practice.” 0 likes