The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year

The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Other Baby Book: A Natural Approach to Baby's First Year guides new and expecting mamas on a journey past "shoulds" and "musts," back to the heart of true joy and relationship. Motherhood has been targeted by advertisers, and bombarded by opinions masquerading as medical necessities. Massaro and Katz are helping mothers reclaim a simpler, more connected first year with...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Full Cup Press (first published March 18th 2012)

The Milk of Female Kindness by Kasia JamesThe Whole-Brain Child by Daniel J. SiegelUnconditional Parenting by Alfie KohnPlayful Parenting by Lawrence J. CohenThe Attachment Parenting Book by William Sears
Best Parenting Books
17th out of 53 books — 38 voters
What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveAttached at the Heart by Barbara NicholsonPlayful Parenting by Lawrence J. CohenThe Attachment Parenting Book by William SearsAttachment Parenting by Katie Allison Granju
Attachment Parenting
26th out of 49 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenne
This book is similar in content to Sarah Buckley's Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering but with a more casual familiar tone of mothers sitting down over tea at a play date. I would recommend The Other Baby Book as a good introduction to gentle attachment parenting for parents to be and parents new to traditional (eg non-conventional) parenting philosophy and practices.
I picked up this book because of the image floating around Facebook comparing the “old necessities” to the “new basics” (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.ne...). I didn’t read any reviews or descriptions, and I sort of feel like I should have. First of all, I really dislike it when books are written as if it’s a friend talking to me. My friends don’t talk to me like how this is written in the first place. So I hate the writing style, but I am usually able to overlook it if the information is g...more
Christina Cater
I can't really tell if this book was disappointing because I have already read so much detailed info on the topics presented or if it just failed to meet my expectations. For me this book was an overview of many practices which are considered "non-traditional" in the US. It's a very brief overview for those seeking first time exposure to a number of practices like natural birth, EC and cloth diapering. I did find the info on nursing, greening your sleep spaces from toxins and baby-led weaning to...more
Tara Wallingford
Good introduction to attachment parenting, but not totally realistic. I was excited to read this, but it took me a while to finish. I did feel that it talked down a little to those that have to work or be away from their kids for any length of time. I think mommy and baby yoga classes are great, but I like taking my own yoga classes too and going out with just adults sometimes. Plus, though it was an introduction, there were some topics that were focused on more heavily than others. Definitely g...more
Amy
I really enjoyed this quick, easy read. It wasn't new information for me, but I had already done some soul searching and research about how I wanted to parent with my first. This book just reaffirmed my values, and gave me a confidence boost that I'm doing the right thing by trusting my instincts 100% with this baby who is 3 weeks old. If you already breastfeed, co-sleep, baby led wean, EC, etc then this won't have anything new for you, but it's still a great read. The tone is just perfect to re...more
Jessica
Nice collection of personal stories as well as explanations behind alternative approaches to the first year of child rearing. Not a very academic book in any way, but a good way to get a grasp on real people's experiences.
Alane Kataria-Rennie
I liked this book and learned a couple of new things, but am wary of Attachment Parenting. I had never heard the word convenience used as a negative until I read this book! I'm sure they're right that baby's needs should trump all others, but I think we need to be realistic, too. The best parent is one who feels somewhat rested and content and I don't know if it's possible for everyone to be those things when they're always doing exactly what baby needs to the minute.

Also, I didn't think the boo...more
Jen
I really enjoyed this - though I will say it is an easy, quick read, so it's great for beginners or people who are unfamiliar with some of the topics and just looking for a quick introduction. Most of the stuff I'm already familiar with, so this was just a quick refresher/recap, but I loved how the book reinforces to you that you instinctually know what to do, so follow your gut and your instincts, regardless of what everyone else may say.

We don't practice everything in the book, but do several...more
Michelle Johnson
Excellent book on attachment parenting, including things like baby lead weaning (otherwise known as eating real foods), breastfeeding, immunizations and co sleeping. Basically they preach to do what feels right no matter what is in "style".

Oddly I was an attached parent 21 years ago before there was even a word for it. I just did what felt right. Since then I've read Dr Sears, and many others. I had a thing or two to learn from in this book too with baby number seven.
Rebecca Rose
I loved that this book basically summarizes several "natural" approaches to parenting without preaching. It explains the basis or origins of each practice and offers a list of other books that go into each practice more in-depth. I learned so much from this book. I wish I'd read it before I even got pregnant, since it also tells of several methods to prepare your body for pregnancy. Everything I've tried from this book has been really helpful.
Becky
Had already planned to read this before a friend gave me a copy. Some interesting ideas, but the book's chatty tone ultimately comes across like a bossy/overly opinionated friend. The authors attempt to cover a wide variety of topics, but in so doing can touch only briefly on each. Too bad - I am curious about elimination communication, for example, but found little in the way of how-to's and too much grandstanding about "potty learning."
Anna
A quick, easy-to-read overview of pretty much all "hippy" choices there are for raising babies; one of which I hadn't even heard of. Each chapter is broken down into small sections and contains a segment from an expert on the topic. From breastfeeding (kinda sad this is considered alternative…) to baby-wearing to baby-led weaning it's a great start for mommas who don't think the majority have it right.
Annabel Youens
A super practical guide to your new baby. I loved the focus on "less stuff" and it's exactly why I bought the book. A big thumbs up for me was the main message the author's convey - here is a lot of information, but don't worry you'll know what to do with your baby. I found the information very well researched and well written. Certainly one of the best baby books I've read. Also check out their blog.
Courtney

Excellent book. Wish it had been published before my first daughter was born so I could have read about some of the things that I had to learn along the way with her. Makes you think about different approaches than what is popular or main stream. Also made me think more about the plastics and chemicals used in so many products and the safety/health issues they may pose.
Destinee Solis
I enjoyed this book although I wish I would've read it during my pregnancy and not eleven months later. It's a stepping stone to the many options you are given if you decide to do attachment parenting. It gives you a brief description of everything and resources if you would like to further yourself into a certain topic.
Emma
While it would have been nice to have read this earlier (I requested the library order it which meant I had to wait), it was actually a nice refresher on certain baby-rearing topics and helped to boost my confidence on some things I had innately already been doing.
Mandie
Definitely an AP book. Some people will agree with everything and some with none. Authors tell you up front that the purpose of the book is to empower you to research and think for yourself. A good starting point for someone new to mothering. Nothing terribly in-depth.
Christine Jenkins
This book covered a little bit of everything. I mostly skimmed it but wanted to read it since it got such great ratings. Good read overall
Monika
The book doesn't go too deep into the topics it discusses. Instead you get more of an overview of a few important subjects. But still if you're someone who's new to them, it'll give you a solid basis for further exploration.
Margaret
I don't hold with all the ideas in this book, but I really like the way that they present them, and the education factor. It presents information off the mainstream in a concise and easy to follow manner.
Sherri
Much of the info was basic. I found the chapters on Elimination Control (think potty training infants based on their innate cues) and weaning to solid finger foods particularly interesting.
Kimberly
Good book but a little vague - like other reviewers mentioned, it briefly touches on a lot of topics without really going into them so much. Worth the read if you're just starting your research.
Rachel
I am as AP as they come and this book read like total propoganda. Like most AP parents I know, they assume "natural"=AP which is simply not the case. That drives me crazy.
Krista
Great information. It is supported by child developement, parenting courses, psychology, and natural health standards.
Beth
I LOVED this book. It's not judgmental, and reminds moms to follow their own instincts with their children!
Karla
Take this with a grain of salt. Like they say - use what you want and discard the rest.
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Anna W
Anna W added it
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

“Here’s a scary stat: for each daily hour of TV a little one watches under age three, his likelihood of having an attention deficit by age seven increases by 10 percent. Even when the TV is left on in the background, it diverts a baby from his job—connecting with and learning from you.” 0 likes