Start by marking “The Happiness of Truth” as Want to Read:
The Happiness of Truth

The Happiness of Truth

4.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
It's 1976 and Valentine Scott is preoccupied with two loves: A guy named Jack Anderson and the desire to write great stories. Flash-forward a few years, and she’s a photographer, married to Will Sampson and in love with nothing.
This about-face comes on the heels of a devastating accident that leaves her cowering in the corner of her former passions. She stumbles through ye
ebook, 1st, 338 pages
Published May 13th 2012 by Beth Thompson (first published April 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Happiness of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happiness of Truth

Anne
May 16, 2012 Anne added it
Best book I have read in a long time. Great characters, interesting story and wonderful writing.
I love to get dragged into a book through the characters lives. I love when I mourn them when the book is over. If you are like that too you will love this book.
I can't wait to read more about Valentine and what happens next.
Drew Campbell
Jun 28, 2012 Drew Campbell rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
An intense level of drama and intrigue wrapped in a deep, emotionally charged plot. The writer is a talent in a league of her own.
Jeannie Zelos
Jul 19, 2014 Jeannie Zelos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ants on Peonies, Beth Thompson
Review from jeannie zelos book reviews
A slight change from my usual reading genre, but it's good to step out of the comfort zone and I enjoy trying something different. To be honest I'm still puzzled over the title – I sort of get the link but...never the less its a great story. Sometimes it seems that the perfect life is feted as something to achieve, and we feel everyone else is living it but not us. Then that leads to feelings that sap our confidence. I see this
Jim
Mar 12, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book in spite of being in the romance category. Usually romance novels follow a strict and simple pattern but this one doesn’t. Not much at least. Through two timelines that are very nicely and tightly told the story unfolds. There is no slack. The principal character Valentine appears feeble at first but becomes a true heroine by the end. A strong character and a strong plot makes the book enjoyable. Ants on Peonies is not short but time did fly while I read it.
MissyDevoursDelishReads
I received a complimentary copy of Ants on Peonies by author Beth Thompson in exchange for review. I found this novel to be quite poetically written, with a rather clever concept that grabbed my attention. Valentine was such a likeable character, and I enjoyed right along side the journey through her perceivable eyes. I was completely swept away with the storyline, however I took my time, and this novel is a wonderful discovery of oneself. I would recommend as a nice weekend read this summer.
Kate
May 28, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
This was a serious page-turner. I haven't had a book that I just had to finish in a long time. I read it in less than a week! The characters were realistic and the love stories in all of their forms kept me interested along with the family dynamics. I had to know what was going to happen next. It was a great read and I didn't want it to end.
Rick Campbell
Jun 13, 2012 Rick Campbell rated it it was amazing
Happiness of Truth is a fast-paced, rich story that stays with you. It moves between past and present and keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next. If you're looking to meet some new friends, buy this book and introduce yourself to Vann Scott. She's a great character!
Stephen
Mar 22, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved the book but it took me a while to figure out the significance of the title (happens quite late into the story). The book moves like a movie and is very gripping and dramatic in parts. The characters are strong and the plot moves fast. It is not the usual run of the mill stuff that’s part of all romance novels. It has an old world charm to it and the beach is very nicely described. The last 50 pages takes the story in a new direction and brings it to a beautiful close. It’s a cozy novel ...more
Carl
Mar 27, 2015 Carl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valentine has had her life peppered with running into the first love of her life, Jack. While she can’t think of a reason why she should be with him, she has never found a compelling reason to leave him and the memories behind. As Valentine traces her life from the fateful summer of 1976 to 2007 she sees a relationship akin to ants and peonies: fated but difficult to label as good or bad. There is no denying however that they have a relationship. The question is: is it enough?
Joanne
Mar 20, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ants on Peonies is a simple but surprisingly layered story. While it is full of stock characters like a best friend, a doting mom, an uncaring spouse, etc, what sets it apart is the lack of familiar situations and reactions. A decent sized novel based on only 4 or 5 characters without any major slow parts is quite rare. There are also no unnecessary scenes of hot lovemaking which makes the novel even better. Its a good novel and an enjoyable one.
Jenn
Jul 03, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booklikes, three, romance
We travel back and forth between the past and present, which spans from 1976 to 2007, to learn Vann's story. When she was a teenager she was in a horrible accident that left her with a head injury and without her best friend.

Years later she has a picture perfect life - she's married to a great man named Will and together they have a little girl named Olivia. Unfortunately for Vann her past has a way of seeping into her future.

A good read with realistic characters. I loved reading about her teena
Elizabeth
May 28, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
i was engrossed from moment i picked it up. the plot pulls you in as you join Vann in her search for the truth about what happened in her past. Vann's character is revealed through both her past and present lives and she is compelling and relatable. you get to know her through her relationships with family (her mother), best friend and true love. as the book progresses she learns more about her self and what is meaningful in her life. so many moments from this book will stay with me. i couldn't ...more
AkiroOkasawa
Apr 06, 2015 AkiroOkasawa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much a tale of conflicting emotions as it is of a search for happiness, Ants on Peonies is a classic take on fated relationships.
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Shilpa
Shilpa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Sage
Sage added it
Mar 20, 2015
Melissa Simmons
Melissa Simmons rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Rohith Chakrathirtha
Rohith Chakrathirtha rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Adam Logan
Adam Logan rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Anna Rice
Anna Rice rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Cresco Books
Cresco Books rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Anirban Bose
Anirban Bose rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Which is your favourite character in Ants on Peonies? 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 03:55AM
Beth Thompson has spent her entire career immersed in words. In the early 1980s she worked as an editor with Maclean Hunter before turning to freelance magazine writing. Her articles have appeared in such magazines as More, Canadian Living, Today’s Parent and Chatelaine. At the start of the new millennium, Beth co-wrote a book, Kidfluence: Why Kids Today Mean Business, while working as Editor-in-C ...more
More about Beth Thompson...