Start by marking “Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)” as Want to Read:
Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)

Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher #10)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  109 reviews
The sassy Phryne Fisher sets the seamy side of Sydney alight in her tenth adventure.

Phryne Fisher has plans for her Sydney sojourn - a few days at the Test cricket, a little sightseeing and the Artist's Ball with an up-and-coming young modernist. But these plans begin to go awry when Phryne's maid discovers her thoroughly respectable sister has left her family for the murk
Published January 28th 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death Before Wicket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Before Wicket

Katie
Phryne Fisher is on holiday. She means to take the train to Sydney (where the harbour bridge is being built), go to a few cricket matches, dine with the Chancellor of the university and perhaps go to the Arts Ball with that celebrated young modernist, Chas Nutall. She has the costume of a lifetime and she's not afraid to use it. When she arrives there, however, her maid Dot finds that her extremely respectable married sister Joan has vanished, leaving her small children to the neglectful care of ...more
This book really gets 3 1/2 stars. As one of the longer Phryne Fisher mysteries, there are a number of crimes Phryne must investigate. She moves out of Melbourne for the time being & goes to Sydney to investigate the disappearance of a sacred papyrus, jewelry, and an indigenous axe from the university there. To compound the problem, Dot's sister has gone missing & is suspected to be involved in (gasp!) prostitution.

This one is a little different from the others because the occult plays
Kathryn
Always a pleasure to listen to Stephanie Daniels narrating a Phryne Fisher mystery. This one involved some cricket, which is certainly not one of my favourite sports, so the parts of the book spent watching cricket matches were rather tedious, but thankfully not too long.
Renae
This was definitely one of my least favorite Phryne Fisher novels. Greenwood has always had a lot of literary/cultural allusions in her books, but this time she took it so far as to be pretentious, not to mention indecipherable to the common lay reader (even a rather well-read one, such as myself). I felt like this book was dealing with subjects only known to academics, and as the author made absolutely no effort to invite the reader into this world, it was difficult to engage in the text. I was ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was dissatisfied with this book, as Ms Greenwood brought far too many things to the table and tried to include them all. It reads like a ragbag full of jumbled scraps and bits instead of a patchwork quilt where everything fits together in a satisfying whole. Too many characters, too many burning issues, too many rants and not enough of a light touch.

Dot's sister has gone missing and Phryne wants to find her. Two university students beg her to find out who emptied the Dean's safe of valuable ar
Ashley (yAdult Review)
Originally posted at Nose in a Book

In her 10th novel Phryne goes on a trip! To Sydney! It was nice to leave Melbourne for awhile, and there was a cricket back story and even a story involving Dot, Phryne’s companion. Yet this story could not be saved for me. It was dry, it was dull, it was boring. I missed the usual pizazz that is Phyrne Fisher in this story. Part of her is still there, but at the same time she changed a lot from the previous stories. Maybe that is because her lover, Lin Chung i
LJ
First Sentence: Sydney struck Phryne Fisher, quite literally, in the face.

Phryne Fisher is off to Sydney for a bit of cricket, sightseeing and to attend the Artist’s Ball. She is barely off the train when two young men, students at the University of Sydney, ask for her help. Exams have been stolen from a safe in the dean’s office and their friend has been accused. Phryne is also soon asked by Dot, her maid, to find her sister who has disappeared leaving behind two small children with Dot’s less-
Nancy
This is my Phryne Fisher summer. I have been binging on Kerry Greenwood's books as well as the PBS Mystery Series (on Netflix). I am a huge admirer of Greenwood's character--a striking, savvy, smart girl who is more than a teeny bit naughty.

But, a lot of Phryne Fisher's charm was missing in this book:

I missed the elaborate descriptions of her beautiful clothes;

I missed her devoted butler and their household routines;

And, most of all, I missed her repartee with Inspector Jack Robinson.

So, a lot
notyourmonkey
Thoroughly enjoyable little academia-set mystery, but it turns out my ability to give a shit about Cricket Games In Posh-Set Mystery Novels Between The Wars is limited to one, and that vacancy has already been filled. Thankfully, flipping through those pages rapidly had little to no bearing on the rest of plot. But still, yergh. No faster way to kill the action than to put a detailed description of a sporting event that has zero effect on the plot in the first quarter of your book.
Matt Williams
In the preface for Mike and Psmith, P.G. Wodehouse says "I must apologize for all of the cricket in this book." I fully suspect that in the twilight of her career, hopefully many years from now, when she will no doubt be Dame of the Order of Australia for services to literature, Kerry Greenwood will be presiding over the authoritative collection of her works, she will insert a similar apology in the preface to this entry.

The cultural tie to the 1920's is the inclusion of Egyptology and related o
Erin Stuhlsatz
Phryne goes to Sydney for dual purposes: to watch a lot of cricket and to solve a mystery (who has framed the scholarship boy for breaking into the Dean's safe to steal exam papers?). The plot thickens as dear Dot's sister seems to have disappeared (into the not-at-all respectable Sydney underworld), someone is possibly trying to kill said scholarship boy, there's ALL SORTS of academic drama, and poor Phryne takes almost the entire book to find a suitable partner to sleep with.

As always, I skip
Anna Wells
I do love and would definitely recommend the Phryne Fisher series and have read almost all of them but if you are planning to add this one to your collection - give it a miss.

The narrative is typical of the series but in this case the conclusion of the mystery was implausible and unsatisfactory and the side or B story annoyed me personally but I won't spoil the ending if you are going to make the mistake of reading.
Kathleen Huben
Phryne Fisher is off to Sydney where she solves the disappearance of a number of items from a collge safe at the University of Sydney and helps Dot locate her missing sister.

I usually enjoy Phyrne Fisher but I really could not get into all the cricket discussion. There were simply so many play-by-play descriptions of the cricket games that I lost interest in trying to follow the other stories and characters.
Deanne
Phryne takes a trip to Sydney, so a lot of the usual characters are missing. Miss Fisher has two mysteries to solve, a break in at the university and a missing person.
Lots of fun, though I was concerned about Phryne for a while, normally she's been to bed with one of the men in the book within the first 20 pages, maybe it was the heat in Sydney.
Janet
I love this series, and this didn't disappoint, I prefer Miss Fisher in Melbourne rather than Sydney, and the topic was rather topical - cricket world cup - it was still a great read. Not amazing, but really a 4 1/2 stars.
Donna
I've been loving the Phryne Fisher mystery series, but this one left me a little disappointed. For one, the story takes Phryne away from Melbourne and all of her delightful family and companions except for Dot. The lack of those fun characters really took something away from this book. It was interesting to read about her going to Sydney, but I'm sure it would have been even better had I known a bit more about the city. Also I hated every dull passage about cricket, which is a completely incompr ...more
Karen
Yet another Phryne Fisher mystery for me. I am getting a bit tired of hearing how very lovely she is in every book and how she is NOT a Gothic damsel in distress (I swear that description was lifted directly from another book), but I might kill for her wardrobe. ;)

This book is set in Melbourne, which removes her from some of her "minions" -- that was rather an improvement. As in normal for a Phryne Fisher book, there are a lot of mysteries -- some small, some not so small -- need to be solved. I
Jann Barber
Another in the delightful Phryne Fisher series.

My lack of knowledge about cricket probably caused me to drag out the reading of this entry. Phryne, of course, knows cricket, having played some as a child (not professionally, of course).

Phryne and Dot are on holiday in Sidney, but are also involved in several situations, and, of course, murder.

Many of the usual characters are here, which always makes for a comfortable read on a day when I want something to engage me but to not make me stop and wo
Grey853
Damaskcat
Phryne travels to Sydney - partly to watch the test match - but also to visit the university. Two of the students have secured an introduction to her and want her to try and find out who has stolen various items from a safe as they do not believe their friend, Adam Harcourt is guilty.

Phryne soon decides she agrees with them. There is a sub plot involving Dot Williams Phryne's companion and maid. Dot wants to visit her sister who lives in Sydney but finds she has disappeared and her husband does
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 01, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of British cozies or historical mysteries
The inimitable Phryne Fisher leaves her usual stomping grounds of Melbourne to come to Sydney for cricket and instead solves two mysteries. Phryne's companion and maid, Dot Williams, finds that her sister Joan, who lives in Sydney, has been missing for a week. The other mystery comes to Phryne via two University of Sydney students, Jocelyn Hart and Clarence Ottery, both the type of slim, handsome young men that Phryne so delights in. How can she say no to their request to investigate the false a ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #10 Phryne Fisher, Investigator, 1928 Sydney Australia; historical PI, cosy thriller. Phryne comes to Sydney as she’s been asked to solve a case of burglary by a very pompous Dean of University, and to see some professional cricket - it was supposed to be a bit of a rest... Along with the burglary, she winds up in the midst of a missing persons case, family violence, “wild youth at college”, bohemian living deluxe (and not-so-luxe), mystics, fanatics, and poets, kidnaping and attemp ...more
Jenett
I'm fond of this series (which I've resigned myself to reading out of order, because getting the early ones from the library has been a little tricky.) Fortunately, this is a series that allows that nicely (you'll hit details discussed in earlier books, but never in a way that leaves you totally fumbling.)

I'm very fond of the series. There are a number of fun bits, the 1920s Australia setting is fun for setting reasons even before you worry about plot and character, and the mysteries are suffici
Marianne
Death Before Wicket is the tenth in the Phrynne Fisher series by popular Australian author, Kerry Greenwood. It is summer 1928 and Dot and Phrynne take the train to Sydney: Dot to visit with her sister Joan, Phrynne ostensibly to watch a Test Match (was it Bradman’s first?) and dine with the University’s Vice Chancellor. Phrynne has promised Dot there will be no murders, but two handsome young Uni students have asked her to look into a theft of exam papers from the Dean’s safe for which their go ...more
Margaret
This book sort of dragged. On the plus side, it is set in Sydney instead of Melbourne, but I found some of the plot pretty grotesque (semen soaked amulets?). I don't mind that the "death" part comes later - for the first time there is no murder - but it seemed to take an unnecessarily long time to get to any resolution.
Kim
I get that Phryne is supposed to be this nonconformist free new woman. I'm about the most rabid liberal I know. But I'm getting a bit tired of the over the top sex stuff. I mean really, jerking off a college student at a nightclub? And then keeping the handkerchief around your neck as an amulet? Ick.
Jason Jorgenson
Patty
Set in Australia in the 20s, these are fun books. This one didn't become an episode of the TV series, as far as I know. Maybe because it has too much sex in it, also a hint of the supernatural. Great entertainment with a strong independent female investigator.
Tasula
You can count on Phryne Fisher series for a light mystery, where Phryne solves 2 or more mysteries while still finding time for parties, sex, good food and wine, and usually some charity work. She is charming and intelligent, and the stories are witty and amusing.
Regina
Audiobook

Phryne is back on the job actually doing the sleuthing herself again instead of delegating it to her supporting cast of characters. Egyptian god worshipers, a mysterious robbery of a college safe of random unrelated objects, and the disappearance of Dot's sister into a possible life of vice.

My only gripe was that Phryne seemed to push the disappearance of Dot's sister to the back burner to solve the robbery and possible false accusation of a scholarship student of no real means. Serious
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Last Drinks
  • Anna Where Are You (Miss Silver, #20)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • The Bachelors of Broken Hill
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Away With the Fairies
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

“Come to the jacaranda tree at seven o'clock and you will hear something to your advantage. Destroy this note.'
No signature, no clue to the identity. Just what sort of heroine do you think I am? Phryne asked the air. Only a Gothic novel protagonist would receive that and say, 'Goodness, let me just slip into a low-cut white nightie and put on the highest heeled shoes I can find,' and, pausing only to burn the note, slip out of the hotel by a back exit and go forth to meet her doom in the den of the monster - to be rescued in the nick of time by the strong-jawed hero (he of the Byronic profile and the muscles rippling beneath the torn shirt). 'Oh, my dear,' Phryne spoke aloud as if to the letter-writer. 'You don't know a lot about me, do you?”
7 likes