Start by marking “Death At Victoria Dock” as Want to Read:
Death At Victoria Dock

Death At Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher #4)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  4,247 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Driving home late one night, Phryne Fisher is surprised when someone shoots out her windscreen. When she alights she finds a pretty young man with an anarchist tattoo dying on the tarmac just outside the dock gates. He bleeds to death in her arms, and all over her silk shirt.

Enraged by the loss of the clothing, the damage to her car, and this senseless waste of human life,
Published January 5th 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Death At Victoria Dock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death At Victoria Dock

Ivonne Rovira
Dec 09, 2016 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fabulous Phryne Fisher returns in the fourth installment of Kerry Greenwood’s delightful series, and she remains as clever, just, and chic as ever. When Phryne alights from her Hispano-Suiza only to have a handsome young anarchist die in her arms, she launches into an investigation at Melbourne’s wharf.

With the help of a new friend, a handsome communist wharfie named Peter Smith, and of her stalwarts — fellow “red-raggers” Cec and Bert, her intrepid maid Dot Williams, and adopted daughters
Nikki
If you were under the impression that Phryne is unfeeling, that her lovers mean nothing to her, this one should thoroughly disabuse you of that notion. I don’t know how you could be under that illusion after the anger she feels about the people hurting Sasha in Cocaine Blues, or the way she protects Jane and Ruth, but still. The story opens with a young man dying in her arms and that injustice drives the story, through Phryne’s anger.

The story itself is a whole world away from what I’m used to/k
Zoe
Oct 08, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a lady detective in the old days. Miss Marple, Jessica Fletcher, and obviously now, Phryne Fisher. I started watching the TV series first and then moved on to the books. The TV series is great, that is where you get to see The Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher in her old school splendor. On paper her glamour dims a little but she is still a formidable character.

I like the book well enough, this book has been dramatized and if you have seen the episode, you would be familiar with the book. I i
Richard Derus
Rating: 2.5* of five

Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood is the fourth installment in the Phryne Fisher series.

I am seriously irked. This Greenwood moll has something against teenaged girls, and puts them repeatedly in the most heinous jeopardy imaginable and then when they're extricated all is suddenly sweetness and light.

I don't do book reports, because if I want to know what a book's about I read it. I also hate spoilers. But I am about to make a big fat plot-ruining spoiler here, so go
Anastasia
Jul 04, 2015 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood is the 4th book in the Phryne Fisher Mystery series. After witnessing the killing of a young man and being shot at, Phryne becomes mixed up with Latvian anarchists. She has also been hired to find a missing girl who disappeared after she was turned away from a nunnery. Another fast paced mystery where Phryne is ably assisted by her staff. There is never a dull moment with a nice satisfying ending.
eyes.2c
Exciting and delightfully downplayed!

I have to say I love Phryne Fisher. I love her spirit of independence and savoie faire, a sleek fashionable woman, whose exterior hides a determined and compsionate heart. And
The epitome of the cool flapper detective and thoroughly modern woman fresh from the horrors of the European war theatre where she drove ambulances. Now she is here in Melbourne flouting convention at every turn, during the time between the wars when lives were recovering from unspoken
Magdalena
I was introduced to the lovely Phryne Fisher book series by the TV series. However, I just must point out that, despite liking the books my heart has been captivated by the TV series and I deeply, very deeply miss Detective Inspector Jack Robinson in this book. Now, he doesn't have a prominent role in the book series that have in the TV series and that is regrettable. At least that's how I feel.

Now, how about this book? I did enjoy reading this cozy mystery series. I quite like Phryne Fisher and
LJ
DEATH AT VICTORIA DOCK (Private Investigator-Australia- VG
Greenwood, Kerry –4th in series
Allen & Unwin, 1992- Australian paperback
The Honorable Phryne Fisher becomes involved in hunting down anarchists after they shoot out her windscreen, and cause her to hold an attractive young man in her arms as he dies. The trail leads her to a tattoo parlor, spiritualist, a new lover and her “family” being in danger. Simultaneously, she is looking for a young girl who has run away from home wanting to j
Unwisely
Feb 15, 2016 Unwisely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
OMG, why do I keep reading these? It was available in the library when I unexpectedly finished my book (the last quarter was footnotes and references, dangit), and I thought, hey, why not?

It's uncomfortably like eating a really processed baked good - you anticipate it'll be good, and parts are okay, but mostly it's icky and you feel gross when you're done with it. Such a Mary Sue. And so 80s in its choice of what it emphasizes. Still too much on the clothes, although the anarchist Latvians were
Donna
Feb 10, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2014
Phryne takes on anarchists and a side plot involving incest (yuk).

I keep sticking with this series even with its flaws. The setting is Australia but there is so little of Australia in it that for the first third of the book I was thinking they had moved to England. Phryne still hasn't grown on me that much--she's so perfect it's impossible to relate to her.

On the positive side, the books are entertaining and very quick reads. They are also reasonably priced for the Kindle and I do love the beaut
JayeL
These books are too short! I finished another one in a very short amount of time. I want more. They are like candy; I can't stop.

This story was a little different in terms of men. It seemed that she fell in love, in a way with one. I thought that was an interesting insight into her hidden feelings.

I like Phryne's attitude and courage. She is, perhaps, a little reckless, but not a lot and she never expects anyone to save her. I like her independent streak and can-do attitude.

Diabolika
Dec 30, 2016 Diabolika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mistery
This is the one I liked most, so far (4th instalment of the series). Both cases are mysteriously interesting, without any dull moment. Having seen the TV series I knew the end but, nevertheless, I was glued to the book. The political plotline was a bit more interesting than the other case, giving the taste of important historical events.

Phryne is back to her-usual-self: strong, independent, fearless, elegant, charming and "man-eater". All recurrent characters (Dot, the adopted daughters, Mr and
Andrea
Mar 20, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phryne Fisher is back! One night while driving home, Phryne is shocked to find that someone is shooting at her. Not only do they shoot out her windscreen but she also finds that a lovely young fellow with an anarchist tattoo has also been shot and dies in her arms.

Phyrne is enraged by the loss of her clothing due to the dying man's blood, the damage to her car and the horrible loss of such a young life. Promising that she will find who is responsible and make them pay Phryne sets out to identif
Sophie
Latvian Anarchists! Incest! Tattoos! Machine guns! Nuns! Séances! Baba Yaga!

One of the things I love most about these books is Phryne's lovers. They're like Bond Girls, except they die less often. It's so refreshing to have a female character have a new lover in every book and not have the slightest interest in marrying and settling down with any of them. And Peter Smith is one of my favorites. He's a mysterious, melancholy, passionate Communist who tells fairy tales, and he properly appreciates
Leah
Feb 11, 2012 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have missed Important Plot Points by reading this and not the third in the series - I had no idea Phryne got hooked up with her adoptive daughters so early on in the series. Serves me right for reading out of order I suppose.

Greenwood's writing and comfort with the characters and the era has progressed in leaps and bounds from the second adventure (the last one I read), Flying Too High, and the set pieces are better handled and more fun than they have been yet.

I still get the feeling that all
Shelly
Aug 19, 2014 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have to ask myself would I enjoy reading these if I had not seen the TV series first. The Phryne Fisher who inhabits the books is an interesting character, but she seems rather flat compared to Essie Davis' incarnation of her. (And the costumes...!)

What distinguishes these books from cozies is the extent to which they take on the social issues of their time and place (and ours, too - we haven't made as much progress as we might like). Anarchy, incest, abortion, drugs, and of course the status
Linnea
Sep 06, 2015 Linnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expectations were high for this book after watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and luckily they came through. Although the stories in the books are, not surprisingly, more or less different than those that ended up in the series they still carry the same charm. Phryne Fisher is feisty as ever and her companions in solving crime are great. The story is very compact in under 200 pages and Greenwood's writing is interesting and easy to read. It also was okay to start from the middle of the seri ...more
Mark
Dec 31, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phryne Fisher is a bit like an Australian Auntie Mame, if Mame had a few more challenges early in life before becoming rich, became a private detective, and wasn't restricted to Hays Code depiction of her sex life.

This one has Bolsheviks, Latvians and a Lewis gun. In this case I had already seen the TV episode based on the book, and while the books are immensely entertaining I don't think they are quite at the level where I need to get the same story twice--but plenty left for me to read in the
Renae
Perhaps not the best in the series thus far, but still entertaining and solid all-around. I especially loved the homage paid to Shakespeare in this—Greenwood usually finds a way to work him in a few times per book, but in Death at Victoria Dock it was more pronounced. The mystery itself was not to my taste—having to do with Baltic anarchists and thus requiring that there be some info-dumping to keep the reader abreast of Slavic politics in the early 20th century. Not quite as entertaining as Phr ...more
Naomi Young
Jul 05, 2013 Naomi Young rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aclib, 2013, series
Like the other books in this series, it's wildly improbable, yet somehow engaging. Two unrelated mysteries for Miss Fisher to solve. Phryne is something of a female Australian Bond, full of all kinds of arcane knowledge and freer with her affections than Emma Goldman.

Meta note: I recently read a comment from a friend who is discouraged by our social appetite for "fast fiction" -- fluffy and insubstantial stuff. I can only plead that sometimes I do not wish to think or engage deeper issues. Perh
Deanne
Apr 20, 2013 Deanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Anarchists, murder and kidnapping. Death at Victoria Dock starts with a shooting, which leads Phryne to a dangerous group of Latvians. There's the usual cast of supporting characters, Dot, Jane, Ruth, Bert and Sec, but no Jack Robinson.
In some ways it's fun to spot the difference between the books and the tv series.
Entertaining read.
Karen Book-Vixen
Miss Fisher, in this book takes on two different case that leave you wondering how on earth she was going to solve them.

I am enjoying the quotes from famous writer like William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens
Joan Colby
Aug 25, 2016 Joan Colby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable mystery starring Phryne Fisher of Australia. Set in the 1920’s, this one focuses on anarchists and communists with plenty of derring-do and a moving love affair between Phryne and a Latvian revolutionary
Maggie Anton
Jun 01, 2015 Maggie Anton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one as well and am not getting bored with the series yet. I wish the stories were longer so the mysteries were better developed. Must admit I like the TV show better though.
Ken Fredette
Mar 04, 2015 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series.
Renee
Aug 14, 2014 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-mystery, wcls
Phryne is Phun.
Jimmy Lee
Feb 20, 2017 Jimmy Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the writing in this one much better than that of Kerry Greenwood's first Phryne Fisher. She does leverage details from previous stories, but not significantly - you can manage to pick up any story in the series without significant disruption. Victoria Dock was much tighter; she still has two mysteries going at once, to keep you interested, still adds in a little sexual innuendo, but thankfully omits the bodice-ripper-level detail which seemed to me to be so out of place in the first myst ...more
Joyce
Jan 09, 2017 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I, too, was introduced to this series via the television series. It is a wonderful series, and the actress, Essie Davis, who plays Phryne Fisher is an absolute gem.

In this book, Phryne’s windshield is shot out on her way home from a friend’s house down on the Victoria Docks. When she sees someone in the road, she rushes over but only catches a few words before the young man dies.

Phryne’s off on another adventure!

I love it every time she lights a “gasper!” This is the first series I’ve
Ruth Bonetti
This is the first book I've read in the Phryne Fisher series, and it was a light holiday read. Greenwood captures the era with good attention to detail. Apart from the heroine Phryne, many characters were lightly sketched. A subplot was flimsy and so quickly resolved that I had to track back, thinking I'd skipped a page. Teenage incest, a choice topic for that era and this genre. Easy read, otherwise.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Death at Victoria Dock - 12th March Book 1 2 Mar 27, 2013 06:18AM
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Phryne Fisher (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)
  • Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6)
  • Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7)
  • Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)

“If you are not scared then there is no merit in being brave.” 11 likes
“First, a bath. I'm feeling soiled. Too much contact with cold reality, I think.” 3 likes