Start by marking “Death in the Hallows (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #2)” as Want to Read:
Death in the Hallows (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #2)

Death in the Hallows (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Hank Mossberg, the world's first ogre private eye is back in action. Hank is throwing a bachelor party for his best friend and deputy-dwarf Butch O'Shea when he gets a phone call from an old friend, a wood-elf journalist named Flick Hunter. Flick begs Hank to meet him in a seedy undercity neighborhood known as the Hallows. Hank agrees and travels to the undercity -the magi ...more
Published June 9th 2012 by Timber Hill Press (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Hallows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Hallows

Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
Aug 30, 2012 Amy_Read to My Heart's Content rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog
See this review at: http://readtomyhearts.blogspot.com/20...

Imagine if you will, Dick Tracey, Indiana Jones, and Shrek (okay not Shrek but that fills in the Ogre part) combined into one person.
Enter Hank Mossberg, the last known Ogre living in San Francisco who happens to be the Steward for the magical beings in the world too. You ask what is a steward? Well if you read the book you will get the idea but basically like a peacekeeper for Mother Nature.
Hank is a very lovable character who always
Jeanie Jackson
Dec 28, 2014 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it

The story reads like a good private investigator story, but Hank, the ogre, is more of a marshall or enforcer for the fae world that lives in conjunction with the human world. Although there is not much development to most of the characters, it is is more a matter of lack of time than lack of quality writing. This book makes me want to get to know some of the characters better and makes me care about Hank. I do not think you would have to be a fan of paranormal books to enjoy this one, but the e
Kenisha
Jul 27, 2012 Kenisha rated it really liked it
This was a solid sequel in the continuing adventures of Hank, the ogre private eye. I enjoyed the first book, and this didn't disappoint. I'll try not to spoil too much of how the first book turned out.

Hank has two more cases to contend with, each one hitting closer to home than in the previous book. First, an old friend is murdered down at the shoreline. His death is wrapped up in illegal enchanted weapon trafficking, and it seems that people in high places are involved as well.

Butch, Hank's d
James
Jul 07, 2012 James rated it liked it
I do have to admit I was given this book through Goodreads, but I really did like it. I left it sitting on my shelf of to-read books and kept looking at it guiltily knowing I owed it to them to give it a bash. I finally did the other day and was very pleasantly suprised.

It's a good old dectective pulp, with a fantasy twist. With the main character being the last of the Ogres, with the magical ability of being non-magical, and his trusty side-kick/deputy a dwarf who's dating an elf. It's got som
Kim
Jul 20, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller

This was a great sequel in the Hank Mossberg detective books. Hank is still the same reliable, witty, detective he was in the first book. This time around he's got a couple of more mysteries to figure out. I liked this book a lot because we got to learn even more about the fae world and how their world interacts with the human world. There were plenty of twists just like a good mystery to always keep me guessing who the culprit was. The different crimes intertwined well without getting mixed up
Barbara Huskey
Oct 16, 2012 Barbara Huskey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Won a copy through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Thoroughly enjoyed this story. I liked the way it mixed reality with the supernatural. It kind of reminded me of the Sookie Stackhouse mystery series, but thankfully minus the vampires and stuff. I liked Hank, the main character. I also liked the author's writing style. Pleasure to read this one and I am very glad I won it.
Laura Theaker
Dec 09, 2013 Laura Theaker rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads first reads giveaways

As a huge fan of supernatural books and especially the fae world, I loved this book.
The wackiness caught my eye and the writing kept me reading, I highly recommend!
Jun 01, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book was very engaging. I finished it in less than 24 hours. An interesting mystery that kept me guessing, and I loved having the fantasy element as well. A pleasure to read!
Dolores Bretecher
Feb 16, 2015 Dolores Bretecher rated it really liked it
I loved this book and as with the other two in the series, I had trouble putting this one down! Hank Mossberg is an ogre you won't forget.

Hank Mossberg is a 6 foot six ogre and the last of his kind. He is also a steward or detective in San Francisco both topside and in the under city where the majority of the fae, goblins and the like live.

In this third installment Hank receives a call from Flick, a journalist, but by the time he met up with him, Flick was murdered with the legendary sword, Exc
Kevin
Oct 21, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
This was a decent read. The world was fun and multi-faceted and the plot was fast moving. My only critique would be that it was hard to envision some of the settings.
Guenna
Jun 15, 2012 Guenna rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
It was an interesting twist on a murder mystery. I just did not ever get really drawn into the book. It was an easy read but I felt that there were too many plots going on at the same time. Because they had so many plots, it was hard to really get pulled into one. I received this book for free through Firstreads.
Kelly Hagan
Kelly Hagan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Homer Blake
Homer Blake marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Simon B
Simon B rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Kelley Torongeau
Kelley Torongeau rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
F. Wilson
F. Wilson rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
David Henry
David Henry rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Tina L
Tina L marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
April Kastor
April Kastor rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Sandra Coleman
Sandra Coleman rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2015
Paidia Karhite
Paidia Karhite rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Angella Rascoe
Angella Rascoe rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Roy Hawksley
Roy Hawksley rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Richelle
Richelle marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Pamela Talley
Pamela Talley marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • Awaited (Wasteland, #2)
  • When Shadows Fall (The Small Gods, #1)
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • The First Adman: Thomas Bish and the Birth of Modern Advertising
  • Kali's Heel
  • Taming Your Pet Monster: An Operational Guide
  • Old Gold
  • The Queen's Betrayal (Bloodtruth #2)
  • Chasm (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Reckoning (Dark Prophecy, #1)
  • The Knowing (Gemini Women Trilogy, #1)
  • Plastic Gods (Rich Coleman #2)
  • The Claiming Words (The Claiming Words #1)
  • The Metaphysical Detective (Riga Hayworth, #1)
  • Firefly (Cicada, #2)
  • Breath of Dragons (A Pandoran Novel, #3)
  • Malice, Mischief & Men
  • The Bellamy Bird
I'm married with three children. I live in Northern California surrounded by grapevines and redwood groves. I write mystery, thriller, sci-fi, and fantasy. I enjoy camping, building canoes, making wine, restoring classic cars, blacksmithing, and black powder firearms.
More about Jamie Sedgwick...

Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre (4 books)
  • Murder in the Boughs (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre: #1)
  • The Killer in the Shadow (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #3)
  • A Fool There Was (Hank Mossberg, Private Ogre #4)

“I look like a monster, I thought cynically. How long until Amanda  learns that real monsters don’t look scary at all? Most of ‘em wear suits and ties and talk to you like they’re your best friend.” 3 likes
“ “If I get killed, I’m suing you both,” Dwana whispered.” 1 likes