Start by marking “Cravings (World of Lupi, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Cravings (World of Lupi, #1.5)

Cravings (World of the Lupi #1.5)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  7,432 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Four favorite authors present their favorite characters in all-new tales of bloodlust, appetites that must be sated again and again, and the passion that feeds them.

"Originally Human" by Eileen Wilks
Succubus Molly Brown discovers a gorgeous, naked man in the woods and decides to help him recover his memory.

"Beyond the Ardeur" (An Anita Blake tale) By Laurell Hamilton
Published June 29th 2004 (first published June 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cravings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cravings

Jan 06, 2008 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurel K Hamilton has a horrible tendency to contribute to some compilations like this a story or excerpt from existing books, instead of other stories. This is no exception, the first story, Blood upon my lips, is an abridged version of the start of Incubus Dreams so if you were looking for something new in the Anitaverse forget it. (3/5)

Dead Girls Don't Dance has apparently appeared elsewhere but I hadn't read it. A vampire chick is going to meet Betsy and bumps into a guy she fancied in colle
Apr 06, 2008 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short stories by four great authors.

Blood Upon My Lips by Laurell K. Hamilton
This is a condensed and slightly modified version of the first 13 chapters (95 pages) from Incubus Dreams , the 12th book in the Anita Blake series. It leaves out a lot of parts that don't specifically have to do with the Ardeur, making slight modifications to the story to allow it to flow smoothly without the missing pieces. Thus new readers who may have picked up this anthology as their first introduction to An
Heather L
It's always difficult rating anthologies as not every story measures up the same as others. I loved the novellas by Rebecca York and MaryJanice Davidson, while the Eileen Wilks was okay and I did not like the LK Hamilton at all. I'd hear a lot about LKH, and maybe you have to have read previous books in the series to appreciate this one, but it did nothing to make me want to seek out the earlier books. I'd say my dislike had something to do with the fact I've never been that into vampires, but t ...more
Feb 14, 2009 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
Four stories rolled into one book. This rating is for the Eileen Wilks story Originally Human. Wilks story was original and interesting. I picked up this book for her story having just read On the Prowl's story by her Inhuman. I thought the two stories might be a continuation but they stand alone. Though, they keep within the same supernatural realm she invented.
The first story, Laurell K. Hamilton's work, I won't be returning to her bookcase after reading her allotment. It was just too over the
Sep 26, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, e-books, 2005, 2015
"Blood upon My Lips" Laurell K. Hamilton (excerpt Incubus Dreams) read 8/3/2005

Dead Girls Don't Dance by MaryJanice Davidson read 8/4/2005

Originally Human by Eileen Wilks read 8/5/2005

"Burning Moon" by Rebecca York read 8/2/2005
re-read Sept 2015
This book is impossible to rate as a whole - the four stories are by different authors, each telling a different type of romantic short story, and all of a different rating.

Think of the book as a sampler box of para-normal chocolate - the coconut one tastes awful to people who hate coconut, while at the same time the solid dark chocolate one can taste delicious to some, while others wonder why there weren't more pecans in the mix, and why there was so much nugget.

But I digress.

"Blood Upon My L
So I had to skip Hamilton's story only because I've not even read the 4th Anita Blake book (still working on that) and I was completely lost.
On to Mary Janice Davidson... you can't go wrong with her! I loved her Undead books and this little story of Andrea making her way to Minnesota with Daniel (who happens to find her in the sand on a Chicago beach and also happens to be her college crush before she was turned) to pay homage to Elizabeth the vampire Queen had all the quirky, funny, sexy drive
Heather Hamilton
Blood Upon My Lips by Laurell K. Hamilton

I don't know what was going on here. Anita is some chick who channels dead people has acquired some strange mixture of powers that no one really understands. She exhibits the social craving of a pack and so is "dating" like 4-5 guys -- a couple of vampires, a couple of werewolves. She has a vampire servant, and is tied to another vampire in some way, and the mixture of magical powers from the different paranormal creatures is creating such a confusing exp
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I enjoyed this anthology - four solid stories with a bit of erotic spice and a mix of supers, magicks, mystery and humor.

Incubus Dreams, from which Blood On My Lips was taken, was the first Anita Blake book I ever read and I think its a good story to introduce the tone that the later books by Hamiltion take. This focus's on Anitas struggle to control the Ardeur and find a place in her life for Nathaniel.

Dead Girls Don't Dance was entertaining, I enjoy Davidson's humor and this story was fun to r
Mar 18, 2010 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, this is my second time to read/own this anthology book. I initially bought it (used) because I was going through my Anita Blake fixation. I had discovered Laurel K Hamilton's books and was tearing through them. I read the Anita Blake story but honestly don't recall reading any of the others. Because I only sort-of enjoyed the Anita Blake story, I took it to Half Price Books and abandoned it.

I have now just finished my Queen Betsy (Mary Janice Davidson) fixation and Cravings has one of the
Rating reflects all of the stories BUT the Laurell K Hamilton. I tried, I really tried, to find a place in my heart for some time in Anita's world reconnecting to characters I was once fond of. Too bad this novella is right at the cusp (pun intended) of When This Series Went To CrapTM. Sigh, I really spend too much time in these reviews hating on Anita Blake. Truce? I'll probably only last the night.

The Eileen Wilks story (the reason I ordered the book), "Originally Human," was fantastic. Having
Blood upon my Lips - Laurell Hamilton - Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter 10.5... hmmm I found this a disturbing story... she has multiple lovers, but not under her control, but the vampiric connection with Jean-Claude... and this story is of two of those almost lovers - one Damien, a servant vampire who craves her touch, and whose touch soothes her, and the other a shapeshifter, 20 year old Nathaniel - a strip dancer - called her pomme de sang - an outlet for her - it's confusing - her lust, her emot ...more
First off, I don't care much for short stories. Very, very few authors are good at developing characters, plot, setting, etc. to write a good short story.

Second off, I think it's a rip-off for an author to write a series and then continue the story line in a short story in a book such as this, especially if that short story is going to be referred to in subsequent books. I really appreciate the authors who add their short stories at the end of a novel--a lagniappe, as it were, to the audience.

Shannon C.
Jul 11, 2011 Shannon C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eileen Wilks World of Lupi fans
4 stars: highly original and imaginative short PNR story from Eileen Wilks -- great read! It ties into her World of Lupi series (which is also very good) with a side character cross-over, but you don't need to have read the series to read this story.

3 stars: humorous, light PNR story from Davidson that is set in her Queen Betsy world. I'm actually not a big fan of the Queen Betsy books b/c Betsy gets on my nerves, but I liked the lead gal in this little story a bit better.

2.5 stars: the York sto
Jan 27, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Dead Girls Don't Dance" - This selection takes place between the first two books of Davidson's Queen Betsy series which is about a ditsy girl who suddenly becomes Queen of the Vampires. It is set in Minnesota, which is fun for me because that's where I live. Davidson is very realistic in describing her setting and even the language is very genuinely Minnesotan. I appreciate that quite a lot.
The main focus of this novella is a vampire named Andrea who is awakened on a Lake Michigan beach by a g
Trianna Hyde
Mar 03, 2012 Trianna Hyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Upon My Lips by Laurell K. Hamilton was an awesome story. It's part of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series. I have yet to find a story in this series that i didnt like. Although admittedly im reading them out of order.

Dead Girls Don't Dance by Mary Janice Davidson is another awesome story in this book. As part of the Betsy Vampire Queen series I have read all the stories in this series and love them. this one certainly does not disappoint.

Originally Human by Eileen Wilks was okay. I mea
Dec 19, 2012 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Blood Upon My Lips" is actually some sample chapters Incubus Dreams, so I skipped it once I realized that. I find a author doing this annoying, and silly in retrospect as I read "Incubus Dreams" some time ago and apparently remember it - for better or worse - enough to recognize it after a few years.

"Dead Girls Don't Dance," was enjoyable if only to shed light on different characters in MaryJanice Davidson's Betsy Taylor series. I quite enjoy those, as they don't need to take place in a book
This is a repeat from what is already in one book. It is when Anita is Larry's wedding and what happens between at the wedding and in the parking lot after. So if you read the Anita Blake series, you don't need to be picking this up, but I did like 2 other stories in it. There are 3 more stories by Mary Janice Davidson, Eileen Wilks, Rebecca York. I am finding I am not a fan of Mary Janice Davidson and that is because both short stories I have read by her - the men were not so smart men. I want ...more
Sep 26, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Three hundred years ago, Molly was cursed by a vengeful goddess to become a succubus, a creature who lives off men's sexual energy. For all that, she remains very much human at heart. When a strange man literally falls at her feet, wounded and amnesiac, she takes him in and cares for him, physically and soon emotionally as well. She calls him Michael, and together they try to piece together who he is, where he has come from and who is chasing him.

I loved this sto
My review is only for Dead Girls Don’t Dance. It is the story of the beginning of the relationship of Andrea and Daniel, who you’ll meet again in Undead and Unappreciated.

Andrea, after a couple of years unconscious straggling around as a newbie vampire, now runs into Daniel. Andrea had a serious crush on him in college, but back then, Daniel wasn’t interested in her.

Now he is very interested. Daniel reacts very smoothly to the news that Andrea has become a vampire, and attaches himself to her si
Blood Upon My Lips Laurell K. Hamilton *
This story reminded me why I gave up her books. I adored the Anita Blake series early on.. I respect Hamilton for being a pioneer for the paranormal fiction when the only other thing out there was Anne Rice (yuck). But the series has gone down a path I have no interest in following. It's either Anita telling us how she's one of the guys (btw, complaining about other women does NOT make you one of the guys), or sleeping with several of the guys while compla
Dec 15, 2013 Aline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Cravings. What I liked the most its the fact that the characters are unusual. Not always the perfect beautiful girl or boy next door. We have Anita as her damaged vampire service, Andrea and her issues, The Middle aged Molly and a Blind Woman named Antonia.
The first story its BLOOD UPON MY LIPS from Laurell K. Hamilton. I read all the books from Anita Blake series and as much as I love Nathaniel I don't think that was the best choice for this book because she has better scenes than this
Tremont G
Apr 25, 2014 Tremont G rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hamilton - Blood Upon My Lips - ZERO STARS!
& this story was terrible on many levels.

Basically, it should never have been a short.

Too much crap going on, no background, I didn't understand & couldn't focus on, care about or even keep track of all the characters.

Unfulfilling/frustrating conclusion.

I've never read anything by Hamilton & I wondered if maybe it would have been better had I read her other books in the series. So I looked up people's reviews of other books in this ser
Aug 20, 2014 Fedora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cravings contains four novellas, all connected to the authors' ongoing series.

Laurell K. Hamilton's Blood Upon My Lips was pretty interesting but as others have pointed out (and I didn't realize before starting it), it feels unfinished. Apparently it's an excerpt of one of her novels, and definitely feels that way. Two and a half stars for somewhat holding my interest, but it also left me feeling unsatisfied.

MaryJanice Davidson's Dead Girls Don't Dance was a hoot. I'm assuming it's connected to
May 10, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1)‘Blood Upon My Lips’ aka: ‘Beyond the Ardeur’: Anita Blake, Vampire Slayer 12.5 by Laurell Hamilton. 3 stars. This is a chapter/section from the book ‘Incubus Dreams’. It’s better to read the full version.

2)'Dead Girls Don’t Dance’: Undead 1.5 by Mary Janice Davidson. 5 Stars. This is the story I got this book for, to continue the series I’m already reading. I loved it. We see what it’s like to be a real new vampire who’s grown out of her newbie bloodlust and is now trying to find her place
Rating is just for the undead series.
Sep 07, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish we could do half stars. I would honestly put it at a 3.5 star. It wasn't completely horrible but wasn't the best book ever.
If you aren't into books about sex then don't read this book. All 4 stories are full of sex, vampires, witches, magic, shapechangers, werewolves, or a mixture of all of the above and some.
The first story Blood upon My Lips by Laurell K Hamilton really was a good story. You might not understand the book fully if you don't atleast read the first book of Anita Blake, bu
Love these short story compilations! I always discover new authors. Really great stories and some laughs thrown in. The final werewolf story at the end by Rebecca York was great!
Laura Beth
Oct 14, 2016 Laura Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
This is not a new story just bits and pieces of Incubus Dreams for the LKH story. Why bother? Not worth reading again ever.
Goodreads Librari...: Cravings mistake 3 19 Jun 26, 2013 11:06AM
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse #3.5)
  • Demon's Delight (Tale of the Demon World, #4)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • Bewitched Bothered & Bevampyred
  • Lover Beware (Drake Sisters, #1; World of the Lupi, #0.5)
  • Night's Edge
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • My Zombie Valentine (Dark Ones #4.5)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

World of the Lupi (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1)
  • Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi, #2)
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10)

“But I was naturally suspicious; it comes from working too closely with the police for too long. Cynicism is so contagious.” 5 likes