The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)

The Web (Alex Delaware #10)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  4,622 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Psychologist-detective Dr. Alex Delaware finds terror in the heart of paradise in this relentlessly sinister novel by America's premier writer of psychological suspense, the author of ten successive New York Times bestsellers. Three months in paradise, all expenses paid. It's an invitation Alex Delaware can't refuse. Dr. Woodrow Wilson Moreland, a revered scientist and phi...more
Published November 1996 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web

Dirk Grobbelaar

"Look at this," he said. "I'm sure you've never seen a web like this."

Mystery readers who like their stories compartmentalised and samey will probably frown upon what Kellerman has done here. It’s an Alex Delaware novel, but it is also quite unlike any of the other novels in the series (or at least those that I have read, which, admittedly aren’t that many).

For starters: the story takes place on a remote and obscure Micronesian island. Consider: a large mansion filled with house guests; a grueso...more
Michael
This is not one of the more recent books in the Delaware series. I didn't realize until after I started, that one of my favorite features of this series - the intelligent repartee that goes on between Alex and his usual cohort in crime sleuthing, Lt. Milo Stugis, would not be there. For me, this is what sets The Delaware books apart from all the others. So I was somewhat disappointed.
Kellerman still writes interesting books. This time Alex is invited to join a doctor Moreland living on a romote...more
Marilyn
I like Kellerman's characters, but I'm starting to get a bit tired of his detailed descriptions of whatever area he's either entered, or who's wearing what. This took place on a little island (I think it's fake) in the S.Pacific. Alex Delaware & his partner (Robin)get an unexpected "vacation" as he does research for a Dr. there, who is about to retire. Has to do w/nuclear bombs being discharged under water years ago...and the fallout from those tests. Now, the dear Dr. has a cavefull of "ali...more
Nanosynergy
(Book 10 of author's Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis series.) Alex Delaware is dimmer than I thought. Delaware is lured to an isolated, tropical island by a wealthy scientist -- whom he has never met nor heard of - with flattery and the promise of an underwritten, 6-month vacation. From the beginning of the book, the words "If it sounds to good to be true..." echoed in my head. Then, coincidentally, Delaware's Barbie-girlfriend, Robin, needs a break from her work as well and is able to tag along for...more
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
Kellerman's Delaware mysteries always teeter towards soap opera and occasionally fall in. This is one that fell. Depending on you, the reader, that can be either good or bad. For me, the other elements either make the book good or bad. I like 'The Web'.

Another element is that Kelleman's plots always contain Truth - of historical facts or recent headlines on CNN - which he heavily fictionalizes. Since I read the news as obsessively as I do novels, and I have done so for 50 years, plus my memory...more
Lewis Weinstein
This might be a terrific book, but I will probably never know. Early scenes with disgusting people and even more disgusting spiders led me to return the book to a safe place on the shelf.
Kevin Lake
The story was actually... ok. It was good up until the end, and then it seemed like a cheap stage production. And the writing style? I don't like it.
fragmants.
floating.
around.
redundantly.
and needlessly.
just say it.
don't spray it.

Probably won't read any more of this author's work and it is because of the style. I know he probably means it to be some sort of unique art form, but just when you get in the rhythm of the story, this crap (see above) pops up and slows everything down.
oh, and he went...more
Lynda
Hired to organize thirty years of clinical data by Dr. Woodrow Wilson Moreland, Dr. Alex Delaware arrived on the tropical island of Aruk with his recuperating lover Robin Castagna. Known as Dr. Bill to the islanders, Dr. Moreland had an aura of mystery with an alternate plan in mind for Alex. Already tingled with suspicion and unease about the cryptic scientist and his household of visitors, Alex faced even more trepidation with gruesome murders and threatening islanders sending him on a twisted...more
Elle
This book is set away from LA, so Milo is only a few phone calls in the book. This is a little different from some of his other books. Is not a particularly stimulating read- but it is a good book. I wouldn't really buy it- rather check it out at the library.
Carrie Stephens
The pace and tone of this book was very different from the rest of the Delaware novels. Milo wasn't a big part of the plot and was only included in a phone conversation. Maybe it was the change of setting, but this book just seemed a little "off"
Suze
Kellerman always throws in a twist or two that you don't expect, and this novel didn't disappoint. I like his sense of humor, too.

The beginning dragged a bit, which is why this one only gets three stars.
Doris
I got about 3/4 of the way through this book and gave it up. Improbable and not interesting to me.
Sue
Apr 25, 2009 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Karl Fritch
Enjoyable, though not one of Jonathan Kellerman's best, in my opinion.
Audrey
Typical Kellerman - good airplane read.
J
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS EVEN IF THEY HAVE SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT THEM ON A FEED, EITHER.

I wouldn't say that Alex Delaware has jumped the shark in "The Web," but the novel is analogous to Fonzy from "Happy Days" taking a trip to Hawaii.

Alex and Robin go to an obscure Pacific atoll, Aruk, for the book's action. Their burnt-to-crisp bungalow is being rebuilt and Alex has received a research offer from a doctor based on the atoll.

Supposedly Alex is to help the doctor organize his records collecte...more
Dag Dawit

The web is a well written book. Jonathan Kellerman is a very good author. He worte the book using a lot of figurative language which made the book more interesting. " The lady is old so she is wiped out". He also uses words that catches the readers attention. While reading the book you wouldnt even realize how fast you go because it is so interesting.

If you love mystery and action you must read this book because thats what its filled with. Its impossible for you to get lost when you read it, b...more
Sherri
I have read a lot of Kellerman's books, and I think I have now read almost his entire Alex Delaware series. The later books I thoroughly enjoyed, the earlier books (which luckily I read out of order) I hated. This one, being quite firmly in the middle I wasn't sure how I would feel. And having read it, honestly I'm still unsure. To start with, I finished it last night, yet I STILL had to go look up the title to leave this review, so that should tell you something. Secondly, it was weird. There i...more
Bridgette Redman
As much as I hate the little cards that have to be sent back to book clubs, I have them to thank for my discovery of Jonathan Kellerman. As usual, I had forgotten to return the card and "The Web" arrived in the mail. Rather than return it, I decided to give it a read. I had read several of his wife's books and liked them so I was willing to give him a try. I figured from the title that perhaps it was about cyberpunk or some Net mystery. I've never been so delighted to be wrong.

Kellerman's "The...more
Kari Ramirez
For some reason I am unable to fully explain this book held my attention much better than the previous 9 Alex Delaware novels. One of my biggest dislikes, really there are very few, is Kellerman's habit of describing whatever route Alex drives when he has to go somewhere. Being on an island that is 7 square miles and only about 1 mile of that accessible he wasn't really able to do that. So maybe that's it!

Nonetheless, I was captivated by the story. There was this mystery and in hindsight maybe l...more
Valerie
Alex gets an invitation for an all-expenses paid trip to a tropical island in Micronesia to help a doctor organize his papers for publication. Paradisaic on the surface, the island soon shows it's not all as heavenly as it appears.

Other than a few phone conversations, no Milo in this book, although Robin & Spike accompany Alex to the island.

I thought the setting was a little on the unbelievable side, and the ending was also pretty far-fetched ~ thus the 3 star rating. However, the story kep...more
sandra sprenger
Not at all what you were expecting.

Alex and Robin on vacation. that should be enough that you know nothing will be as it seems. our secrets we keep hidden from the world, now coming out. people's lives changing because of their choices. not your average mystery,but a good read. does seem to amble along slowing. not a real action book, more a thinking trying to figure what's next. Good solid story and read.
Wendy
I wanted to like this book. Oh, how I WANTED to like this book. I started reading the Alex Delaware series about a year ago. I've thoroughly enjoyed many I've read so far, but this installation of the series has been so boring for me to read that I've read approximately 5 other books since starting it and am still struggling to return to it.
The story line takes a deviation from the usual in taking Alex and Robin away from L.A. and placing them on a remote island with an eccentric old doctor and...more
Rachel
A different setting for Dr. Alex Delaware as he and Robin leave L.A. for an island in the South Pacific where some potentially interesting old case files (or a paid vacation offered by the owner of said case files) beckon. But of course even though Milo Sturgis doesn't follow Alex this time, murder still does, as well as several other mysteries that may or may not all be connected.

There are several interesting elements of this story, including the aforesaid murders, the odd behavior and hobbies...more
Donna Mcnab
This Alex Delaware book is a little different from the usual collaberation with Detective Milo Sturgiss of the LAPD. Milo does turn up occasionally in telephone conversations but other than that does not take part in the action. Alex and his live-in girlfriend, Robin, have gone to stay on a remote island, Aruk, while Alex and Dr. Moreland, the owner of the estate at which they are staying, go over old files to see whether a book or, at least, articles for a medical journal, may be possible. Whil...more
Jill
This is the 10th Alex Delaware book I have read. I was very disappointed. Too strange, poor character development, and by the end I didn't care who did what. Weird characters with strange story lines. Glad it's over!
Lorraine Roberge
Yet another good one

They just keep getting better and better with each book. Poor Alex and Robin can't even go on vacation without dealing with more dead bodies. Great story.

Harry
Seemed pretty formulaic. Adventure/murder with some facts about medicine and tropical animals thrown in. Add some a bomb testing, drug test subjects, thugs. Belongs in an airport shop.
Eliana
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Jewett
I usually give this series a four, but I didn't like this one as well - maybe because some of the characters and other things were really too creepy for me.
MVV
Listened to the abridged audio book expertly narrated by John Rubenstein. Lots going on and a bit confusing. Ending was a let down....
Goodreads Librari...: Add ISBN13 to ISBN: 9024554527 3 29 Jul 01, 2012 04:17AM
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t...more
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)