Start by marking “Freedom: The Sequel to Slave” as Want to Read:
Freedom: The Sequel to Slave

Freedom: The Sequel to Slave (Slave/Freedom #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mende Nazer’s shocking story of modern-day slavery – told in the global best-seller ‘Slave’ – touched the world. Later made into a film, it told the harrowing story of a girl from the Sudan taken into captivity, and then sold into slavery. Written by the award-winning journalist Damien Lewis, it exposed the brutality of the modern slave trade, and turned it into a major gl ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Endeavour Press, Ltd. (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom

Lucy Conlon
Jun 24, 2012 Lucy Conlon rated it it was amazing
Freedom: The Sequel to Slave is the emotional story of Mende returning home to visit her family. After days of anticipation and worry for whether her family would make the dangerous journey from Karko to Kauda Mende is finally reunited with her family after 14 years of separation. Freedom was incredibly moving and shocking in some parts. It is a real eye opener to not just the atrocities in Sudan but wordwide.
Amber
Jul 01, 2013 Amber rated it did not like it
I couldn't get through it. There were way too many insignificant details that it just got to be too much. Slave was gripping, but this one missed the mark.
Lisa
Jun 27, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
Though I was impressed with the author's first book "Slave". I was unfortunately disappointed with this sequel. I found the whole thing terribly disjointed. I respect the effort to bring attention to the horrible situation in Darfur and found this much enlightening. There was however far too much trivial filler material that actually became quite tedius to slog through. The text was also full of distracting typographical and grammatical errors due to what was obviously poor editing.
Unfortunate s
Yvonne
Aug 22, 2012 Yvonne rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this very much, I just wish that some of the ebook converters paid more attention to the job at hand there were many misspellings :(
Alison
Jul 13, 2014 Alison rated it liked it
This is a continuation of Mende Nazers life after (Slave) and her first trip back to the Nuba mountains to see her family after 14 years. They had to meet in a neutral area and her family had to travel from (Karko) Sudan, through rain swollen rivers and roads to reach her. It was a great story of their getting to know one another once again, and of the area and people where they met, (Kauda) Sudan.”
Jan
Aug 16, 2015 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves:
Missed the mark. 1st one I enjoyed, but this one lost it. Probably have another go at a later date. Sometimes a sequel just doesn't work
Emily
May 14, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Not as good as Slave, but I had to read it.
Sibel Akbulut
Harika bir kitap. gerçek olması, olayların oldugu gibi anlatılması okunurlugu kolaylaştırmis.
Timothy
Dec 21, 2013 Timothy rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronic
This book was somewhat less compelling, however equally emotionally stirring. More really should be done with regard to the plight of the peoples in the Sudan. I believe that more interest could have been paid to many of the cultural norms and a bit more time devoted to the family of Mende, and some of thier plight as they begin to make life more normal for them.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Malakia
Malakia rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Dyanna
Dyanna marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Tressa Mann
Tressa Mann is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Jodie
Jodie is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Meghan Olinger
Meghan Olinger marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Kourtney Hullett
Kourtney Hullett marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kiara Pollard
Kiara Pollard marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Alina
Alina rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Sandra McMahon
Sandra McMahon marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sari89
Sari89 rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2015
Julie Hanson
Julie Hanson marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
  • Big Backpack - Little World
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Bronze
  • Flight from Fear: A Rabbi's Holocaust Memoir (2nd Edition)
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide
  • The Everything Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Book: A Portrait of an American Icon
  • Infinitely More
  • Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King
  • The 2011 Book Blogger's Cookbook (The Book Blogger's Cookbook)
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • Diary of a Mall Santa
  • Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Moms
  • Goodbye Junie Moon
  • Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America
  • How to Find A Job: When There Are No Jobs (Book 1) A Necessary Job Search and Career Planning Guide for Today's Job Market (Find A Job Series)
  • Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
  • Stories from a Teacher
”Mende Nazer lost her childhood at age twelve, when she was sold into slavery. It all began one horrific night in 1993, when Arab raiders swept through her Nuba village, murdering the adults and rounding up thirty-one children, including Mende.

Mende was sold to a wealthy Arab family who lived in Sudan’s capital city, Khartoum. So began her dark years of enslavement. Her Arab owners called her “Yeb
More about Mende Nazer...

Slave/Freedom (2 books)