Start by marking “Poor Little Rich Slum” as Want to Read:
Poor Little Rich Slum

Poor Little Rich Slum

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  48 reviews
One little two little three little Indians, four little five little six little Indians, seven little eight little nine little Indians... One million little Indian entrepreneurs.

These are the stories of the little people who make up the Big Idea of Dharavi.

A slum of energy, enterprise and hope.
Where every hand is busy, every head held high.
Where people could be miserabl...more
Published June 2012 by Westland (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Poor Little Rich Slum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Little Rich Slum

Ravi Jain
To become a great non-fiction author you need a mind-boggling subject, you have to do exhaustive research and you need such jargons in your book that people seldom understand. Read Rashmi Bansal’s books and you’ll realise that all that is just a myth. Who imagined that one can become an instant bestseller by publishing a few pages of “Interviews of IIM Entrepreneurs”, well, that is what “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish” was.

Read the full review here: Poor Little Rich Slum Review
Shail Raghuvanshi
The book, ‘Poor Little Rich Slum’ is a great valiant effort in bringing to the forefront what urban dwellers in cities would rather hastily sweep under the carpet. The book writes about not just any slum but a place where “….a cauldron is bubbling with enterprise, with a never -say-die attitude. With spirit and spunk…” It writes about “Ten by ten feet rooms occupied by eight- member families with barely enough space to stretch their legs. Stove in one corner, TV in another.”

One wonders, “….Even...more
Lubna
Just one word to begin with: This book is a MUST READ - it is brilliantly written and is accompanied by stunning photographs. When overseas visitors land in Mumbai, they appear shocked at the slums which they spot along the highway en-route from the airport. Why, even visitors from other parts of India tend to stare open-mouthed and ask: How do these people live within the four walls of plastic sheets or rusty tin sheets? And most of us 'pucca' Mumbaikars (i.e. - long-time residents of Mumbai) a...more
Gvskumar
"Poor little rich slum" has given deep insights into the living conditions of the poor in the Mumbai's biggest slum Dharavi. Author has illustrated the conditions very well so that one can really feel as if they are roaming in Dharavi. The plight as well as prestige of people is well documented and the pictures in the book demands involvement. A morsel of suggestions prescribed in the book are stereotypical and some new suggestions could have been appreciated. But this is a kind of book which co...more
Mimansa Bairathi
I have never been much of a fan of Rashmi Bansal’s books, because I felt that her work lacked scrupulousness. But, this is a rather fascinating collection of entrepreneurship anecdotes of the residents of Dharavi, one of the largest slums in the world. Dharavi has never lacked attention whether it be from the media, the tourists or political rhetoric. But what it has been unable to garner are concerted efforts by the society as a whole to understand the ailments, the needs and the way of lives o...more
Sanjeev Kotnala
POOR LITTLE RICH SLUM by Rashmi Bansal and Deepak Gandhi
Rashmi Bansal the acclaimed author of books like ‘STAY HUBGRY STAY FOLLISH’, ‘CONNECTS THE DOTS’ and ‘I HAVE A DREAM’ continues in her specialised field. Stories of unparallel grit, imagination. passion and success with a deep dose of entrepreneurial tadka. This time she teams up with Deepak Gandhi a management consultant with interest in social circle to deep dive in the life of the most misunderstood part of Mumbai- DHARAVI- the largest s...more
Alokmahajan
Dharavi is a cauldron bubbling with enterprise, with a never-say-die attitude. With spirit and spunk”

I have been in exile for quite a long time. One day I suddenly watched amazing blog of my friend Jimmy Jay @http://personalstreet.blogspot.in/ and thought I should also pen down something.

Recently I brought the fourth book written by “Rashmi Bansal” (https://twitter.com/rashmibansal )Poor Little Rich Slum. I ordered the book along with biography of Fauja Singh at dirt cheap price. But that was...more
Rajesh
Before reading this book, I did not really expect to find much information. I thought the book will take the direction of Slumdog Millionaire. Fortunately, the author chose to focus on the positive and developmental aspects of Dharavi instead of making it a visual sympathy generating tour. BTW, they do have such tours in Dharavi and it is one of the many thriving businesses!

The author does a good job profiling all the individual case studies of businesses that are based out of Dharavi. This shou...more
Nagaraj
It is a very informative book about Dharvi and how many ways people propel them self to reach their goals and how many NGO's working there. Gave info about lots of NGO's which I can search on internet to get more details. If author translated all hindi words & sentences into English, it will help. Not everyone can understand Hindi (which author assumed in this book).
Very easy and good reading material.
Faizan Ali
Inspiring stories, but a weak narrative. Writer could have done a better job at capturing emotions following through"Dharavi". Too much of the story tries to belittle the Dharavi Redevelopment Project. Much more focus could have been given to the life's Dharavi has changed, touched upon.
But a good-read after all.
Reshmy Pillai
Rashmi Bansal, the narrator behind some of the most remarkable and unheard entrepreneurial stories we have been exposed to in the recent past, returns this time accompanied by Deepak Gandhi with an inspiring and heart touching anthology of tales from the slum whose misery and malice is sold as entertainment, who both the government and construction conglomerate want to ‘redevelop’ and who just by deciding not to survive can stall the financial capital of the country and by extension the country...more
Ankit Sinha
however i can't highlight on whole summary of this book, i think after reading this book we get the practical life and situation on daharvi people & what are the challenges they face. it was nice to read the book , and i always read practical based book.
Swapnil Palod
Nice stories of enterprising people, working their way to success against all odds. Inspiring!
Vilo
This is a collection of profiles of people who live in the Dharavi slum in Mumbai, India. "What we saw in Dharavi and why it matters" is quoted from the authors on the front cover. On the back, "One little two little . . . One million little Indian entrepreneurs." The authors are Indian, native residents of Mumbai who had never set foot in Dharavi until they had the idea of writing about it. It will be interesting to contrast this with Katherine Boo's impressions of another Mumbai slum, Annawadi...more
Parth
This is one of it's kind book. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me different perspectives of seeing the issues like slums, poverty, philanthropy, industry and social entrepreneurship..
Harsh Singh
Great insight and the author has delved into a sphere where nobody wants to go,
Corinne Rodrigues
Thanks to Slumdog Millionaire and the entrepreneurial spirit that is synonymous with the place, one can now take a ‘Dharavi Slum Tour’ – a tourist attraction apparently. That’s how Rashmi Bansal and Deepak Gandhi started their exploration of Dharavi. Supported by excellent photographs by Dee Gandhi, they have brilliantly captured the paradox that is Dharavi.

Sharing stories of ingenuity and success and yet not holding back on the poor living conditions of the residents this book presents a balanc...more
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Success stories of Dharavi, Mumbai. Easy and quick read as well.
Readerbug
Jul 30, 2014 Readerbug marked it as to-read
Ankit Agarwal
Inspiring tale of how folks battle all odds to carve a name and future for themselves and benefit society at large as well. Finding inspiring stories of entrepreneurship and social enterprise is Rashmi Bansal's forte and like all her previous books, this one is no different. However, this book is more glossy and glamorous than her previous books but i personally found it lacking enough content. There could have been more stories or atleast a little more depth in the stories shared
Mohit Tirkey
We only see a little and imagine that to be whole.

The story presented by the author touches bones,the total inside out of Dharavi.
Anantha Bellary
Good to know that there are so many talented, smart and intelligent people in Asias biggest slum Dharavi. This book really throws light on how people get birth, live and die in slums and what their priorities are in life. Interdependencies of people on each other for financial, personal and social developments. The real situations in the society and how people cope with it.
Life goes on, We have to move on.
Aditya
The stories of unparalleled determination and entrepreneurial spirit are intriguing and lend a character to the book. Having read all her previous outings, I believe that the author has tried to attempt something different this time. One thing which I was looking for was more on the potential of dharavi than just a focus on individual stories. Over all I recommend this one the uninitiated.
Giju Abraham
A short-book on some stories from Dharavi, one of the largest slums in the world. The layout and design of the book is interesting and so are the photos. However, I thought the stories lacked depth and were very brief. If all you are looking for is some feel-good stories, then this book serves your purpose; otherwise quite shallow.
Inderpal Singh
rashmi bansal, what a comeback indeed ! after three consecutive hits, here is a fourth one- rather a little restrictive to a particular area- Dharvi- the world infamous slum in Mumbai. just the figure of annual turnout of this independent and inspiring SME zone will take you aback and flare you up ! a must read for like headed ones.
Somyajeet
"Dharavi is not just a physical location, it is an emotional entity. Activity within a city, with the soul of a village."
- Author (Pg.184)

City within a mega city. Who says slums are there only to provide easy manual labor. Dharavi contains an entrepreneur in each and every heart that beats here.
Roopali
Awesome!! This book really helps us to see that being happy is only a matter of choice.. I could never imagine that there are so many people who are striving to help others and speak out loud that where there is a will, the ways are formed automatically..
Nimish Newatia
Few people say we should write book on thriller, action, romance, current affair..

Few say who would read a book on slums, but indeed slums are not exactly what we see from outside.

A good book that gave me much needed insight on the same.
Sushma
Great effort to show the positives of Dharavi and the never say die attitude of the people. It's a kick in the heart to people like me who have enough and still complain. Great collection of stories pictures, A great read, very inspiring!
  • Bookless in Baghdad: Reflections on Writing and Writers
  • Everybody Loves a Good Drought: Stories from India's Poorest Districts
  • Target 3 Billion: Innovative Solutions Towards Sustainable Development
  • The Shadow Throne
  • The Habit of Winning
  • Jugaad Innovation: A Frugal and Flexible Approach to Innovation for the 21st Century
  • The Taj Conspiracy (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #1)
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation
  • The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
  • The Best Thing About You Is You!
  • 34 Bubblegums and Candies
  • I Too Had a Dream
  • My Days
1984197
Rashmi Bansal is a writer, entrepreneur and youth expert.She is the author of two bestselling books on entrepreneurship. ‘Stay Hungry Stay Foolish’ features the stories of 25 MBAs who left lucrative jobs to follow the rough road of entrepreneurship. The book created a new record in Indian publishing by selling over 300,000 copies and has been translated into 8 languages.

Rashmi’s second book, ‘Con...more
More about Rashmi Bansal...
Stay Hungry Stay Foolish Connect The Dots I have a Dream Follow Every Rainbow Take Me Home: The Inspiring Stories of 20 Entrepreneurs from Small Town India with Big-Time Dreams