Dead and Gone (Benny Imura, #2.5)

Dead and Gone (Benny Imura #2.5)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  47 reviews
How did Riot escape from the Night Church? How did she survive the Rot & Ruin—and the horrors of her own past? There’s only one way to find out....

Jonathan Maberry explores the origins of a fascinating new character in an exclusive e-short story set in the land of the Rot & Ruin.
Published August 14th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironWorld War Z by Max BrooksThe Bone Gatherer by Jennifer AdeleCreeper Rise by Brett D. HouserZombie Fallout by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books Ever
89th out of 99 books — 184 voters
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessThe Ask and the Answer by Patrick NessMonsters of Men by Patrick NessThe Maze Runner by James DashnerRot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
For Boys by Boys (YA SF/F)
21st out of 25 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather Faville
Make no bones about it, I am a HUGE fan of author Jonathan Maberry, especially the world he has created in the Rot & Ruin series. Dead & Gone is a novella within this world that introduces us to a new character Riot and a group of zealots who are attempting to get Riot back to where, in their eyes, she belongs. Along the way Riot meets some new, dare she say, friends and we learn quite a bit about Riot's past and maybe even a glimpse into her future.

I really enjoyed meeting some new char...more
Joy
Glad I read this before the 3rd book in the series.

In this short story, we meet Riot, a new character who's fighting and living alone in the vast openness of the former America, now called the Rot & Ruin. She used to be from the "Night Church", a bunch of righteous bastards who believe that "sending people and zombies to the darkness" is the path to peace, or to put it in understandable terms, killing them is God's will.

I'm once again pulled in by Jonathan Maberry's superb storytelling. The...more
Melissa Chung
This novella comes right after Dust & Decay and before you read Flesh & Bone. It's about Sister Margaret a young girl brought up in the Church of Night. She is raised to be a reaper. You would think that she was destined to kill zombies because in the Rot & Ruin that is the majority, but no. Her fellow church goers are actually hunting breathers. Living people that the church claim need to be given the "gift of darkness" especially the children. "Children should not have to suffer in...more
Aiden
Dead and gone is a great short story for those who are true fans of the series, or just want to know a little more about Riot's past and the night church. The ending did leave me hanging a little, but I guess that's what the third book, flesh and bone, is for. This book kept me interested the whole way through and left me ready to read flesh and bone.
Michael Parrish
Read any of the other reviews I've written about author Jonathan Maberry's body of work and you'll see I have an affinity for his unique brand of intriguing characters that find themselves in extreme circumstances that smack of the real or at least feasible world. He spends time crafting something that stays with you after you turn the Kindle off or close the cover on the last page - he's done it again in this e-book mini set in the YA world of Benny Imura (Rot & Ruin / Dust & Decay / th...more
This novella takes place between Dust and Decay and Flesh and Bone and introduces us to a few new characters who I am assuming will show up in Flesh and Bone. Although I know technically all of these books are categorized as horror, they haven't felt like horror to me. This novella had me on the edge of my seat though. We are also introduced to an organization called the Night Church, and organization that totally scares me from what we little bits and pieces we learn about it in this novella (a...more
Angie
Dead and Gone is a little novella set between Dust and Decay and Flesh and Blood. In it we meet Riot aka Sister Margaret. She is running away from the Church of Night zealots who want to return her to their life. Along the way she fights zombies and tries not to starve in the desert. Then she meets Jolt and Gummi Bear. They are survivors with a different mentality...they don't kill. They see the world and survival as a game to be played and enjoyed.

It was nice to meet new characters in the Rot &...more
Amy at bookgoonie
If you are like me, I’m wondering who the heck is Riot? The characters in this novella expand our knowledge of the Rot & Ruin beyond the circle of Benny Imura. We really don’t learn a lot about Riot’s background other than she is a trained killer of the Night Church. She must have a moral compass, because she is trying to escape this CRAZY HATER of a cult. She is doing decent job until a zombie horde stumbles upon her. These hordes give me the heebie jeebies.

Luckily in bounces, Jolt and his...more
Gabrielle Neah
It was nice to meet few new INTRIGUING characters that will be in the 3rd book. Both showed extremely different philosophies- Riot that was running away from the night church, that hoped to kill its way to making a "quiet world" while Jolt and GummiBear were playful and alive to think that THEY DON'T KILL ZOMS they only ran and bike their way for survival. It was cool that riot joined jolt and gummi bear. It left me wondering how riot will adjust and how will they face the threat of the night ch...more
Nate
I was disappointed with this short story. For one, I expected 78+ pages of content, but it's more like 60 with some pages containing just 1 sentence and another 10-15 pages containing story from upcoming Flesh and Bone novel.

With regards to plot, this book amounts to Riot being hungry and on the run, then meeting characters more interesting than herself. I would much rather this story have been about Jolt and Gummi Bear. Or Maberry could have picked up Riot's story earlier in her life and painte...more
Malissa
I didn't rate books (extra content) #.5 or #1.5, but I'm rating this one. Maybe the difference is that I'm now waiting on bk 3's release and so this new character (who may show up in bk 3, right? Right?!) is fresh for me. Maybe it's that this short story was made to be a more complete, stand alone story since it was being offered for a couple bucks rather than free. Either way, I really, really enjoyed Riot's story and want more. Short as it is, it sucked me in faster than Rot & Ruin. That's...more
Aliena
It speaks of Maberry's writing skills that he can even make me interested in a new character and make me root for them in under 100 pages.
Mark Wilson
Really enjoyed this little excursion and insight into Riot's past. Great stuff.
Rachel
It was interesting to find a new character but my introduction to her was too short.
Nok
Great short story. New character.
Bobby Cooper

This was full of action and heart. This is set in the world of the ROTnRUIN New characters are introduced. One,Riot, a girl who knows how to fight. Recently escaping THE RED CHURCH,people intent on wiping out the remnant of the human race. Shes on her own surviving,trying to dodge the grey men and gets befriended be JOLT,and other new characters who help her. I couldnt put this down. YOU NEED TO GO GET THIS RIGHT NOW !! Theres even a special treat at the end I promise youll love...A whole chapt...more
Jamie Brooks
Riot is such an awesome character. The idea to have a short story surrounding just her was brilliant. We got a peek at how she got the name Riot and her experience after leaving the reapers. I felt there could have been another chapter or two about the scavenger camp at the end,but oh well.
Charissa
Brandi Dalton
Good book but really didn't learn MUCH about riot.
Stacey
Very good short story. It introduced you to new characters who I am sure play a large part in the next book in the series. Additionally it tied in a character we already knew, Solomon Jones. It didnt give too many details but it included him so I am sure that it will play a part in the next chapter of Benny Imura.
Jen
I love this series! This look at how Riot became Riot is fun, exciting, suspenseful, and zombie filled - just like the rest of the series.

Mayberry has created an unforgettable cast of characters and a zombie adventure unlike any other in this series and I can't wait to find ou what happens next.
Kathleen Lanman
I found this story to be too short to do more than set up a cast of characters that are then left unexplored. Are the characters Riot meets members of the group she is part of in the third book? Perhaps if I had read this before reading Flesh & Bone, I would have made some connections.
Martha Washam
I too was very disappointed in this one. I am a huge fan, and my complaint really isnt with the novella so much as the lack of care by the publisher? Was purchased via BN in the packaged deal....I have pages and paragraphs missing in this one.
Patrick
Really good. I had already read the first three books before reading this. I didn't have an ereader yet! But reading this after the third book made me understand Riot a bit more. Great writing, and Writer!
Thinking this may be a prequel for Flesh and Bone, since it introduced a character I am unfamiliar with. I enjoyed the story, but would definitely like to read more from this storyline.
Felicia
Just what I needed to tie myself over to the next release! :)

Read for BoutofBooks 5.0
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

*counting down to Flesh and Bone*
Steph Wyss
this mini book was amazing i reqlly wenjoyed getting inside riots head . i hope there is more from her point of view! and i would love for jolt to introduced into book 4 as well
Michelle
This short little novella focuses on Riot right after she left the Reapers. It tells how she survived and what she had to do to survive.
Matt
A nice novella set in his Rot & Ruin universe. It had zombies, it had crazy church people, and some good characters. I enjoyed it.
Ethan Deeds
great prequel to the third book of the Rot and Ruin. This is an amazing book to flesh and bone. if you are reading the Benny Imura series.
Jonathan Maberry : Dead & Gone 4 25 Oct 08, 2012 05:21PM
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Apocalypse
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • The Becoming: Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Plague Zone
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies, #0.6)
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.1)
  • Autumn: Disintegration (Autumn, #4)
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)
  • The Z Club
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD...more
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)