Start by marking “Força da Pedra” as Want to Read:
Força da Pedra

Força da Pedra

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  368 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

In a theocratic world far into the future, cities control their own movements and organization. Constantly moving, growing and decaying, taking care of every need their inhabitants might think of, the cities have decided that humans are no longer a necessary part of their architecture, casting them out to wander in the wilderness and eke out a meager subsistence. To the e

Paperback, Colecção Caminho de Bolso #121, 219 pages
Published 1990 by Editorial Caminho (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Força da Pedra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Força da Pedra

Bron
Mmm, I've read this before in paperback quite a long time ago. This time in kindle format, I found it a bit disjointed, the viewpoint changes from one character to another without anything to give you a clue there's a transition. This may be down to the kindle formatting rather than the author though! It's based on an intriguing notion that different religious groups remove themselves from the secular life that has overtaken most of humanity by buying their own planet. Unfortunately the sentient ...more
Tomislav
This early Greg Bear novel is actually a fix-up of three novellas. "Mandala" was published in 1978 and substantially modified here. "Resurrection" was published alone in 1981. And "The Revenant" was first published only in this 1981 novel. Because of the cover blurb, I thought it might be an exploration of theocracy, but that is not much what it is about.

A thousand years ago, God-Does-Battle was settled by human exiles from Earth, following Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths, who hired Robert K
Caroline Eising
Phew, after a few of the other books this year, it was good to finally read something that flowed well. Although it touches on a number of very confusing concepts, and for such a short book describes two very different cultures (a highly advanced human culture and the more primitive human society derived from it when it fell) without becoming unreadble or too confusing. There were still a lot of concepts left unexplained, but that didn't compromise the story - it just left some mysteries to thin ...more
Sarah (Tail-Kinker)
I was forewarned by the friend who recommended it to me that it was a strange book...but I just had to read it anyways. I figured "Hey, at least it's short, so if it's awful, I won't have wasted too much time!"

Exactly as the 2 star rating...it was ok. I felt like it had much more promise and failed to follow through on it. The concept is original and I was intrigued by it, but in practice it wasn't what I expected it to be, although I'm not really sure what I had expected from sentient cities. M
Roddy Williams
Matthew
Pros: The description and premise of "living" mechanical cities is superbly written
Cons: The book is choppy and seems hurried at parts, and the religious aspects of the world are often poorly described

It is a world of spectacular "living" cities built an age ago in an effort to provide comfort and security to all on a wayward planet. However, the cities themselves are crumbling. Why are they decaying? Bear takes the reader on a fascinating journey through a world seeped in religion and veiled in
Randy Mccallum
Not Bear's best effort but then again, his average effort beats most other authors' best. A story about morality and technology, once again the author transports us far away (into the future and the galaxy) and we are able to immerse ourselves in cultures completely foreign to us.
Gendou
Jul 05, 2015 Gendou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is founded on some truly incredible ideas. Antonymous, moving cities roaming the desert. How awesome is that?! There's too much focus on religion in my opinion. And the ending was a bit loopy. But the main character and his secret made for a truly fascinating reveal.
Scott Monster
It was a fantastic book right up to the end and then it just got convoluted and not very satisfying....I really liked the various factions scrabbling for survival around the grand beasts of the cities. It was an epic story that deserved a better ending.
Jonathan S. Harbour
Oct 15, 2014 Jonathan S. Harbour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Fascinating idea, of self-sustaining cities that move across the landscape of an alien world, and they malfunction, begin to eject humans. LOL. Funny premise. I don't actually remember how it ends as I read it so long ago. Might need to do a re-read.
Aura
Mar 28, 2011 Aura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old school science fiction fans, everyone else
Shelves: science-fiction
Strength of Stone is like Greg Bear light. It's not as complex or engaging as I've found his other books to be but this by no means means makes it either simple or boring. The premise is interesting and there are some really great characters.
The protagonist isn't so much any one person though as it is the human drive, especially for survival. Through the course of the book the author vividly communicates loss on a grand scale, enduring human folly, the inexorable passage of time and the lonelin
Durval Menezes
I have read this book a long time ago (10 years or more) but remember absolutely nothing about it, so it must have been pretty unremarkable (therefore the 2-stars rating).
Larry
Nov 10, 2010 Larry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm not the best Bear book. I found the religious aspect confusing and upon reaching the end I was left feeling not quite sure what happened! The big problem with this book is there's no main central character. The book is in 3 parts, 3 large chapters and after the first 'chapter' (54 pages) I got to know the main character only to find in the next part (set 10 years later) there's a new main character. Then later the original character returns but the focus has changed. Most books are about on ...more
Hank
Jan 05, 2013 Hank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of Hard Science Fiction
I've got to give this one 5 stars for being one of the most MIND-BLOWING visions of the future from Greg Bear that I've ever read. Don't be put off by the date it was written. It's still a mind-blowing Greg Bear classic!!

Some of the characters are hard to understand, a bit difficult to figure out. That is the typical difficulty with any Greg Bear book. He is a capable author, but when it comes to visualizing crazy futuristic IDEAS, he is absolutely extraordinary!
Kent
Nov 12, 2013 Kent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a recent vacation with my wife, between the long flight and a few extra readings, I flew through this book. It was the third or fourth time I've read it, and I enjoyed it as much as the first time- maybe even more. Although the book is flawed, I have always loved the idea behind this story. Despite the gaping holes in the narrative, the concept and characters are interesting enough for me to enjoy each repeated reading.
Jenny
Dec 22, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fiction, 2011
I enjoyed this very much and found it difficult to put down. The imagination behind this story is incredible. A world where cities are alive - magnificent! I loved, too,what Bear had to say about mankind's obsession with religon: No matter how technologically advanced we become, religon will always drag us back to the dark ages.
Sean AKA Panky
The ending of this book to me seemed really weak so kind of wrecked it.

But the premise was very interesting and the story was engaging throughout. But then again I love post apocoliptic so I am biased.

It wasn't that the ending was poorly written so much as I felt it was not the direction I would have liked it to go.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Very interesting idea, with decent execution of it. A little slow and light on action, those liking fast-paced action would likely consider this one boring, not much excitement here, more philosophical using irreal setting.
Lindsey
Not impressed. The storyline was hard to follow and very little of it stuck with me after the initial reading.
Samuel
May 04, 2008 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poetic and moving book, looking at a faraway world where man has been abandoned by his own living cities.
Jennifer Opp Riddle
Jennifer Opp Riddle marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Ivan Coelho
Ivan Coelho marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Rebekah Bernard
Rebekah Bernard is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Hank Hoeft
Hank Hoeft rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Robert J
Robert J rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
  • After Life
  • City Come a-Walkin'
  • The Deceivers
  • Earthblood
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • After Doomsday
  • The Best of L. Sprague de Camp
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Galactic Effectuator
  • Dayworld (Dayworld #1)
  • As on a Darkling Plain
  • The Eyes of Heisenberg
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...