Start by marking “Shelf Ice (A Ray Elkins Thriller) ” as Want to Read:
Shelf Ice (A Ray Elkins Thriller)

Shelf Ice (A Ray Elkins Thriller) (Ray Elkins Mystery #4)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  38 reviews
It’s February along the shores of Northern Lake Michigan. A heavy blanket of snow has been building up in the woods since early November and the inland lakes have had a solid covering of ice since December. Shelf ice, stacked ten or fifteen feet in places, has been building on Lake Michigan for weeks.
Sheriff Ray Elkins, responding to a late-night home invasion call, discov
Published August 9th 2010 by Writers & Editors, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Shelf Ice (A Ray Elkins Thriller), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelf Ice (A Ray Elkins Thriller)

Elli
I got this as a daily special on Kindle because it looked interesting and I know Michigan well. And I enjoyed it. The unnamed tiny town setting is somewhere reasonably close, but north of Traverse City. It's winter when these occurrences start and turns into much more than anticipated. The atmosphere and the feelings and relationships of the main characters are revealed in giving the reader an insight into the people...where they are going and where they are coming from. It starts with a murder ...more
Lauren Good
I got through this by gritting my teeth. First, the good stuff... The author does a really good job with description, not too verbose so that the story drags, but enough that I could really see what was happening. Also, an interesting mystery. Unfortunately, the mystery just kind of fizzles. (view spoiler) ...more
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

Shelf Ice was odd. It was supposed to be a thriller, mystery, whatever but it was just....well it seemed like nothing much happened. The writing was strange to me. Like I was missing pieces or something. Maybe because this is not the first book in the series? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like the missing pieces would be in the prior books. It was just a strange read.

It starts off and someone is killed in their home, and the cops on the way to the home are almos
Arlene
I enjoyed his book until the end. It didn't wrap things up and left them open ended. I am thinking I may have missed something. There were references to people in other books and a little hard to keep track of where they fit in. Basically it was an easy read.
Nancy
Robert O Neuwirth
Well written

I enjoyed this book very much. It is a good mystery with interesting characters. I wish the author had written just a little more to tie up some lose ends but over all the ending left me satisfied.
Lillian Diane Woodcock
Shelf ice

I chose this rating because I didn't like the way it ended. you are left dangling because there is no solid ending.
Troy  Dye
SHELF ICE by Aaron Stander

Sheriff Ray and Detective dragnet Sue are having a bad March in their U.P. Michigan community, and it has little to do with the weather.. A murderer/arsonist is running up an impressive list of victims, and the clues point everywhere and no where. If I were a real who dunit fan, I would probably give this five stars. it's well written, and makes you want to huddle up to the wood stove (even in late June). The killer was on my list of top three suspects, The motive was o
Alice Harbin
It was a very easy read and yet I was not able to predict "who done it." I really got to like the main character, Ray (the sheriff). His chief assistant Sue was a really likable person too. The way they worked together was amazing. Their approach to the problem was intriguing. The "red herring" the money hungry preacher, was a nice touch. Hannah and Sarah, both "friends" of Ray, were interesting in their support and lack of support.

Though the murders were nasty, there was not too graphic descrip
Stanley McShane
Definitely a book that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the biting arctic blast of winter in Michigan's rural north; this book is an education in a whole nother existence. Fortunately, there are people who populate the state year 'round; not just summer visitors, but those who would watch over, serve and protect those who insist on staying in some of the worst weather conditions of the U.S. Ray Elkins, as sheriff of Cedar County, is one of these. Dedicated, smart, and seemingly ...more
Susan
ICE SHELF---the title alone is intriguing -- makes one think of either the Arctic or the Antarctic, doesn't it? Well, it was neither. Story set along shore of North Michigan!

The plot was a good one, the characters were flat, with no strong emotions FOR ANYTHING. And there was enough happening that called for some kind of emotion. Excuse me, Simone, the dog showed emotion!

I was reading along, "listening to gathered evidence" and headed to a good "case closed", when the 2 police in charge realize
Sharon
I really enjoyed reading this story. One thing I didn't like is the story jumped around a lot leaving a few holes in the story.

It was a solid story - about a sheriff in northern Michigan trying to solve a couple of murders and a little arson. He has a good crew of support to find the culprit.

I will be looking for more books from this author.
Florence Primrose
Winter in northern Michigan. A young artist is killed and police are injured by fleeing dump truck. Soon the owner of the dump truck is killed. A new pastor whose message is that God wants you to be rich is involved. Throughout this Sheriff Ray Elkins and his deputy work out the mystery.
B.L. Hewitt
This is good old fashion mystery. The setting for the story is obviously an area that the author is very familiar with and so our first emergence into the story is the local. is then character driven to the conclusion with an evenly paced and believable unfolding Once the reader is fixed into the setting, this author begins great character building. The story of events. The story is not driven by fast paced, cataclysmic scenarios, gun play and gratuitous gore but down to earth, unromantic detect ...more
Angela Marie Schmoll
Another great winter mystery

I've been working my way backwards through the Ray Elkins mysteries and loving each one. The characters are complex and well rounded and the story line both easy to follow and intriguing. The chilly lakefront setting introduces an unfamiliar world to me as well, but fits for chilly winter reading.
Pretty easy read, loved the main characters...good build up into their lives. Would read more of Ray Elkins books! Enough twists to keep you wondering
Matt Bradley
I wanted to give this book more stars, but I just couldn't do it. It's not that the writing is horrible. In fact, I thought the words and sentences were well constructed. There were several words that I highlighted and had to look up the definition for. So, I appreciated that aspect of it. But the book was just boring. There was really very little intrigue or suspense. When we finally learned "who done it", it was said in a very offhanded way, as if we were supposed to know the entire time. It w ...more
Karen Carpenter
Great mystery set in Michigan, near Traverse City.
TeriC
Another enjoyable book in this series.
Lisa Utter
Good story

I wanted to read this book because I am from Northern Michigan. This book takes in the northern part of the lower Michigan. Not even close. It was a good story anyway.
Jessica Green
Okay read

not exactly what I thought it was going to be based on the quick summary prior to buying. it was ok read
Verla Brown
I found that I didn't have a hard time putting it down and picking it up again later. Not a nail biter for sure and kind of felt like a let down or incomplete.
Connie Moss
Selected because it was a Free Kindle book and set in Northern Michigan. (but not the U.P.)

This was a quick read, lots of interesting characters. I like Ray. This is a murder mystery without lots of gory descriptions of victims.
Michele bookloverforever
I liked the setting. I liked both the main and peripheral characters. I liked the plot. I didn't like the resolution.
Nicki Conroy
While set in winter, I do think that the settings could have been more descriptive, particularly the outdoor settings. Great mystery, though, and left me wondering what's next.
Raven
Great lead up until the end and the who done it. No clues so it came out of the blue. No reason to waste your time reading this one to only be disappointed at the end.

Oh title shelf ice doesn't describe the story,
Kay
Great mystery. Interesting characters.
Linda Branich
  • All Saints' Secrets (Saints Mystery Series)
  • The Card Counter
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • Closure (Jack Randall #1)
  • Purified
  • Cool Blue Tomb (Soc Series)
  • FRY
  • The Zen Man
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • No Cure For Murder (Brier Hospital, #2)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Magic Mirror (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #1)
  • Death in the Beginning
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • Killer
  • Devil's Food (A Loretta Kovacs Thriller, #1)
  • Killing Faith (A Gabriel De Sade Thriller)
Summer People Cruelest Month Color Tour Deer Season Death in a Summer Colony (Ray Elkins Thrillers)