Start by marking “The Substitute” as Want to Read:
The Substitute

The Substitute

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  9 reviews
“The Substitute” is set in an alternate Britain, where Vampires and Mortals co-exist more or less in harmony. However, that may soon be about to change . . .

Emily Brown starts her new job at Pathway Software, and at first everything goes well. She makes new friends there and her bosses are impressed so things are really looking up for Emily. Until her friend is killed. Mur
ebook
Published May 31st 2012 (first published May 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Substitute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Substitute

Rebecca McKinnon
This was a really great twist on the vampire theme. I loved the way vampires were able to live "normal" lives, working and living alongside humans.

I think my favorite part of this book was the spy story. Yes, it's a vampire spy book. Where else are you going to get that? I'm a sucker for spy stories.

The characters were well-developed, and interesting. I loved all the Doctor Who references. (Seriously, though, who wouldn't?)

I have to say, though, that there was one drawback to this book for me. I
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Set in Britain, The Substitute is an interesting alternate history novel where the Vampire and Mortal worlds have merged and the inhabitants live side by side in peace. Yet there are certain factions who want to see the Vampires at the top of the heap, not held in check by the Compact, which has kept the peace for almost a century. All that might change very soon. Emily Brown was recruited for Pathway Software (a Vampire run company) and if she works out, she may be recruited for much more - whi ...more
Stephanie
The Substitute was absolutely one of my favorite books of 2012. So unique and funny. I want more ;)
Emily is such a quirky character. She talks to herself and makes hilarious jokes. I loved her so much. And it’s so easy for everyone else to underestimate her, then we as the reader see what she’s really capable of and it’s like “Whoa!” That girl is majorly BA.
There was a lot of confusion throughout the book. Not bad confusion! No no no. Definitely NOT bad. It was the kind that kept you guessing a
Pure Textuality
I received The Substitute as a review request directly from the author. I jumped at the opportunity to review the title because….well….I have a “problem” with vamp fiction. The concept of the story is great and intricately thought out. However…

I read the book in just a few days squeezing it in with other commitments that I had. It’s a short read, about 119 pages, so I thought I would blow through it quickly. I do not though.

Like I said, the concept of this book is great but it doesn’t flow very
Farhana Chowdhury
How much I enjoyed it: 8/10

How well I think it was written: 6/10

To tell you the truth, I’m extremely torn about this book. I enjoyed it enough to want to finish it and find out what was going on and I also really hope there’ll be a second book but at the same time there were quite a few things that confused me.

The plot itself was actually really interesting. There are so many mysteries and secrets that I found myself constantly questioning what was happening and even who the good guys really wer
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
The world built here is similar to the True Blood series, the vampires are out and about in normal society, living amongst humans. But it is set in Britain which gives it a little bit of a new take on the subject matter. As well as the fact that the vampires do not only come out at night!

This particular story focuses on Emily. It is told from current day point of view as well as several flashback scenes to fill in the storyline.

Emily is getting recruited for a software company that is run by vam
Hira
I'm really not at all into politics so I found the political talk, the history and the computer talk slightly boring and to be honest I didn't understand much of it either. But it turns out, it wasn't that important to understand it. The fun lies in the story....

I loved the idea! It was fresh and new and the best thing is that this book was different from all the other vampire books out there. They have vampire-mortal romance and hot mysterious vampires. I liked how this book was no where near t
So you look at this cover and think, okay another Vampire book. The truth is that yes it is about Vampires but it is not like other vampire books. I have a habit now of not rereading the synopsis before I dive into a book so I’m almost going into them cold. I did that with this one and I felt like it was the perfect way to read this. This is actually more of a spy thriller than anything else and I loved that! I had been thinking how I wanted to read a couple books out of my usual paranormal/fant ...more
Catherine (The Book Parade)
* This review was originally posted on The Book Parade http://www.thebookparade.blogspot.com *

I was rather excited to read The Substitute because I haven't really read any vampire books other than Twilight (which I liked), The Vampire Diaries (which I didn't), and Cirque Du Freak (which came somewhere in between).

So, you know, I was interested to see where The Substitute would rank amongst my not-so-vast resumé of vampire fiction. As a matter of fact, it fell 'somewhere in between'. I wouldn't s
Shellie Brewer
Shellie Brewer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
Michelle  novelsontherun
Michelle novelsontherun marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2012
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2012
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
Monaliz
Monaliz marked it as to-read
May 11, 2012