Start by marking “How Stella Saved the Farm” as Want to Read:
How Stella Saved the Farm

How Stella Saved the Farm

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  41 reviews
How Stella Saved the Farm is a simple parable about making innovation happen.

Based on the award-winning work of Vijay Govindarajan and Chris Trimble, it is a story that will resonate for organizations of all types—public sector, private sector, and social sector, from mammoth global corporations to small companies employing just a few dozen people.

The parable is about a fa
Published (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How Stella Saved the Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Stella Saved the Farm

Aks Madrid
A short, simple read that you can finish in a day if one is not too busy. It is helpful for young business people like me who has no educational background in running a business but have been asked by their folks to carry on the business which they have began. It doesn't really tell you the details and bulk of intensive business management/ development but it has provided an overview of the basic elements enough to understand where to begin with in making your kind of business thrive. The book i ...more
Rachel P
I won a free copy of “How Stella Saved the Farm” as a first-reads giveaway.

This short, 160 page novella is about the future of an animal run farm after the boss decides to retire. It addresses issues of innovation, leadership, and organizational change. It’s slightly less boring than a text book but not what I would consider fun or light reading.

I would agree with another reviewer that this book is best read/discussed as a group. It’s probably best suited for high school or college students. How
Jane Olsen
I am a little confused by all the raves about this book. I am not a business person (I am a teacher), but my boss gave all of us this book to read to orient us towards innovation at our school. I suppose there are good lessons in here about recognizing the challenges involved in innovation, but it seemed to me as though it was mostly just one crisis after another (which seemed like they should have been anticipated, but somehow came out of nowhere), each of which was resolved through injections ...more
Kitten Kisser
Normally I don't care for parables & was hesitant about how beneficial this book could be to my small home based *ironically* organic farm business. After seeing the glowing reviews I figured I'd give it a go & I'm glad that I did. It is a quick read; very simple in it's execution & it works! Although this is geared towards large business, there is still much to learn as the owner of a small business. While I do not have to hire employees or have sections of business requiring depart ...more
Bookaholic
Inovaţia şi creativitatea nu reprezintă apanajul doar al domeniilor artistice sau umaniste, ci pot constitui o sursă excelentă de dezvoltare şi pentru sfera economică. Vijay Govindarajan şi Chris Trimble au descris, sub forma unei fabule moderne, Cum a salvat Stella ferma, avantajele pe care o gândire inovatoare le are în relansarea şi revitalizarea unei afaceri. Cu toate acestea, este o abordare privită cu destul de multă reticenţă, într-un domeniu mai conservator decât ne-am imagina. În plus, ...more
Sara Mahmoud
Personally I finished reading it in one day, it's a short story written in a very simple way talks about innovation process. you should read it if you are applying for business school! it gives you insight about how to manage a business and how to bring innovation to it. The story presents the difficulties faced by any business owner to bring innovation to his business and how to solve them in logical scientific way.

The author tries to let you get the idea in an easy manner instead of reading bo
Aditi
This is a sweet little easy read which teaches you valuable management lessons in the form of a fable. You can finish the book in one go as the language is simple and the font is bigger with lots of picture.

The journey of windsor farm towards bringing in innovation is interesting and the incidents that happen are carefully chosen to depict those that happen in real-life corporate world.

this book can be used as a tool to stimulate discussion in groups on making innovation happen.

overall, a goo
VaultOfBooks
By Vijay Govindrajan and Chris Trimble. Grade: A
After I turned 12, I never thought I would ever read an illustrated novel again. After all, illustrated books are for small children, aren’t they? But here I was, all grown up, back to a book with pictures and a message…
How Stella Saved the Farm is a simple parable about making innovation happen. Grounded in over a decade of award-winning research, it’s a story that resonates with organizations of all types, from global corporations to small compan
Forrest
Presented in the form of an illustrated fable, this cross between Animal Farm and a management book looks at the challenges of growing a company through business innovation. Cash flow and resource limits, the philosophical clash between adherents of the core business and the new recruits, the personal frictions caused by any organizational change, and other sore spots are all covered in a friendly, memorable, and easily digestible way.

The flip side of that is the sense of being talked down to, l
Chris
When I was given this book I was told two things: it is not Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’ and it is a quick read. Both turned out to be true. Of all the professional and personal development books I have read, I think this was the first to be illustrated.

This book is an allegory that uses an animal-run farm to convey some of the challenges that people face in a work setting. Though the point of the book is to show how innovation comes from idea to fruition, there is a host of workplace dynamic underto
Chris
Stella sure helped out a lot and the farm really made sure that resources were provided as much as they could afford in this little story. I picked up this book because I like to read business books and this one just seemed like it was trying hard to be different. The business world has really tried hard to catch on to what the entertainment industry has known since the beginning of time, if you want to teach someone about something, use a story.

The story of How Stella saved the Farm is apparent
Linda
Nov 14, 2013 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: managers and innovation teams
As a business consultant, I read lots of books designed to help teams improve and this was a parable that would be useful for groups to read with their managers about change and innovation. A light read, somewhat entertaining but not as much fun as the Fred Factor or Built to Sell, other parables in business.

Come on an parable adventure with Stella the sheep who lives and works at an animal run farm that is in dire straits as many of the other animal farms are being bought up by the large huma
Brian Black
As someone who works in healthcare, i found this relevant to the need to radically change how we deliver care while navigating a delicate ecosystem of workers.

If you are expecting many deep and undiscovered insights, you may be disappointed. The principles are simple and memorable and as a business guy who loves Animal Farm, it met the test.
Michael Graber
this little book is the gateway fable for handling shape-shifting innovations within established organizations. while a little coy and unimaginative, the lessons stand as unmutable truths about the perils, pitfalls, and pit-bulls on the path to positive change.
Allen
Did the job. Sometimes the characters being animals got in the way of the lesson, but not too often. I would recommend it to businesses struggling with change.
Sharon
Simple, engaging, challenging, direct, reflective.... a good little book that challenges you to pause and refocus on your business. Well worth the time and cost.
Michelle S. Berryman
Very quick read. Simple story, but on point and illustrative of how and why innovation is challenging within established businesses.
May-Ling
no matter what you think of the book, you can finish it in a brief time to figure out your impression since it's such a short read. listed as a fable, it's like a cliff's notes for innovation reading.

the story and characters do resonate and if a group reads it together, the fable can be a great case to play off of and refer to in thinking about group dynamics, leadership and innovation.

unfortunately, some of the language is ridiculous and i find the terrible illustration almost offensive to an
Ankur Sharma
It's a business fable, with story theme heavily borrowed from "Animal Farm". With reading because of the authors.
Nitin Gupta
Animal Farm version of Lean Startup. Too concise to be help, but ok to be read to kids.
Mohammed Belyamani
light and quick reading... going through a FABLE, enjoying a fiction story!!
Kim
This book caught me by surprise, although I'm not sure what I was expecting when I put this on hold, I'm pretty sure I wasn't expecting a parable about a bunch of animals running a farm. That being said, it was an interesting, if different way to teach a lesson about being a good leader and getting the best from your people. It was a quick read, rather superficial, but suitable for use in a beginning business class, retreat or team building exercise. The discussion questions at the end add to it ...more
Andreas Matern
Everyone should read this.
Kimberly Laplante
This is fable on innovation in business is a quick-read. I can see how it would help to facilitate group discussion and it is written at a level that any employee should be able to comprehend. While I appreciate the tactic of using a light-hearted fictional story to make a point, I don't feel that this story adequately covered the material of intent, namely innovation in business. It decisions made by the key players seemed impulsive and not well-thought out, which doesn't seem to be the best wa ...more
LeikHong Leow
i like how the authors illustrated the learning of innovation and developing new business model via the animals farm story. it is indeed a simple and good read.
the story left a large room of thinking (reader) on how an organization can become when it come to change. The business model, people, competition, partner and many issues would arise.
Ken Hunt
I personally love business fables and there are many great ones, including The Goal and The One Minute Manager, but How Stella Saved the Farm simply isn't ambitious enough in the lessons it is trying to get across. It winds up coming off as condescending.
Shelli King
Ugh. I was directed to read this for work and I tried valiantly to keep an open mind. I did after all, love Charlotte's Web. Unfortunately, I couldn't help feeling patronized.
Sangeeta Sokhi
Really good book around managing change and innovation.
Marianne
An interesting fable that makes you think. It definitely flows well and I finished it in one sitting. I really enjoyed the discussion questions at the end of the book. Would be a great book for a work retreat or in a college course.
Pritpal Singh
Surely a good read, just finished reading this book in one sitting, got glued to it right from the first page. It's a refresher course which allows you to reflect as you read along, probably a good book for colleague/team building events.
  • Think Like Da Vinci: 7 Easy Steps to Boosting Your Everyday Genius
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Greatness Guide: 101 Lessons for Making What's Good at Work and in Life Even Better
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff Omnibus
  • How To Get Things Done Without Trying Too Hard
  • Walking the Dog
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • You and I, Me and You (Cadence Jones, #3)
  • The Moon and Beyond (Lunar Free State #1)
  • Valentines Day Coffee Table Quotes
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • The Perfume Lover: A Personal History of Scent
  • Mumbai New York Scranton: A Memoir
  • Bliss Happens
  • East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Vijay Govinadrajan is the Earl C. Daum 1924 Professor of International Business at the Tuck School at Dartmouth's Center for Global Leadership.
More about Vijay Govindarajan...
Reverse Innovation: Create Far From Home, Win Everywhere The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge Ten Rules for Strategic Innovators: From Idea to Execution Beyond the Idea: How to Execute Innovation in Any Organization Beyond the Idea