Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 2 (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Library Editions #2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  733 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The Slayer legion is organized and encountering mega-obstacles, while Twilight’s threatening reach continues to expand. Buffy and her Slayers travel to Tokyo to face a new kind of vampire with powers they’ve only witnessed in Dracula . . . Then, Willow and Buffy head to New York to investigate the secrets behind Buffy’s scythe; ever full of the unexpected, Buffy is transpo ...more
Hardcover, Library Edition, 320 pages
Published September 12th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

John Lee
Still really neat. Definitely in the spirit of the TV show, and very worth reading. The characterizations are pretty realistic, and the plotlines are huge and expansive. The art is definitely the most impressive thing about this series; the backgrounds and characters are all fantastically drawn, and the cover art is terrific. I especially liked the cartoon issue in this one. The series hasn't gotten too dark yet, which explains the rating, but I have high hopes. I'm really glad this series is li ...more
Karen
I haven't read the library edition version-I ordered all of the comics separately and read them, but I am sure that this book that compiles the whole season is amazing. As a true Buffy fan, you can't miss what happens after season 7 ends (where the television series stops.) I may not have loved every decision that Joss and the crew made during this very experimental season of Buffy, but I truly was intrigued and captivated by the many twists and turns, and I had to find out what would happen nex ...more
Alex
Jul 31, 2014 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I am kind of torn between 3 or 4 stars for this collection. It's hard to rate things like this, because it's made up of several individual pieces, but even put together they are still only a part of the whole of Season 8. But there are 5 star occurrences here (the high school flashback) and there are some only-just 3 star stories (the initial time travel issue...)

After a fairly promising start to Season 8, I think it begins to lose its footing just a little bit here. There are some redeeming poi
Lise Petrauskas
Eh. The first volume of Season 8 was really enjoyable, but unfortunately I thought the rest of the series was wacky, and not in a good way. I prefer Georges Jaunty's pencils over Karl Moline in this volume.
Indigo Crayon
I finished everything except the little notes at the end (which i'm savin for tomorrow), so I'm counting this as finishing.. since I did finish all the story in volume 2. I really liked this. I think in some ways I liked volume 1 more, but that might just be because Faith's story was in it, idk! I liked almost all of what happened in this volume and almost all of the art. And again, I thought the voices of the characters were very consistent. below will have some spoilers
(view spoiler)
John Wright
The bad movie that spun a campy tv show that became a cult classic for its wit, creativity, and emotional grit has morphed again into a beautifully illustrated comic books series by the original writers. This transition is a welcome one. In this volume (buy the library editions. They are more than worth your money) highlights include a crossover with the graphic novel Frey as well as a Willow spinoff. Buffy is one of those rare relics of pop culture that transcends its genre to become modern myt ...more
Chloe
*contains SPOILERS* I really loved this one. I was going to give it a 4 but there's an amazing comic style section where they go back to sunnydale via a dream Buffy has where she's back in school with the Scooby gang and Cordelia, Giles, angel, Joyce, even Snyder are all back. It made me very happy! As for the regular storylines there's a whole gigantic dawn/Godzilla Japan moment that's rather excellent and lots of great fight scenes. Love!
Dustin Fickle
I absolutely loved this volume! It included the return of Dracula, a future Slayer, and a comic based on the cartoon pilot video. It also featured Buffy having lesbian encounter! I loved everyone's reactions to said encounter. I also loved the relationship between Xander and Dracula. (view spoiler) I was happy to see an issue that expanded u ...more
Stewart Tame
It feels strange to be reading this rather than watching it. That said, all your favorite characters are here. The dialogue retains that certain Buffy flavor. Quite a lot of this would have been unachievable on a TV budget anyway. Not sure why I should take these storylines any more seriously than the average Buffy GN simply because they're labeled "Season 8" but it's certainly enjoyable stuff.
Ryan Joy
Brian
This volume included a cameo from Dracula, who appeared on Season 5 of Buffy. There was a rather humorous scene that I could totally picture happening in the TV show that actually made me laugh out loud. The futuristic slayer plot was a bit hard to follow, which made this book become a 3 star and not a 4 star. I can polish one of these off in an evening!
Sasha
I loved Buffy. The comic book continuation does not disappoint. The show translates to comic book pages beautifully - the characters continue to speak in their trademark Buffy language, there are new characters that fit into the Buffyverse seamlessly, Andrew Wells has a bigger role (!!!). One of my favorite things about Buffy - it's inclusion of queer characters and having storylines about things OTHER than their sexuality continues to prevail.

The one thing I didn't like about this volume was

Klara
I really loved this volume, I even think I liked this better than the first one. It really had the feel of the TV-show and some really cool storylines. I also can't deny how nice and nostalgic the whole going back to the time in Sunnydale with the Scoobies was. Really enjoyable.
Alexandra
It was good. But some of it was not needed. I didn't like some of the artwork that was introduced in this second instalment of season 8. However it was action packed! Dracula's cameo was flawless. Oh, and that revelation about Twilight?! Heheh
Justin
I've been waiting a good while to read this - and I loved every second of it. It's been a while since I've had the urge to watch some Buffy. Now I can't wait to pick up the third volume of season 8 and go back to watch seasons 6 & 7.
Alice
The first half had me LOLing my head off, and I LOVED 'After These Messages... We'll Be Right Back'. So glad I finally decided to read Season 8.
Brian
The story starts to take an interesting turn. Can't say I'm crazy about it.
Rachael
I didn't like this volume as much at the first one, it was still all right though.
Devvy
IT JUST GETS MORE INTERESTING.

YOU HAVE TO KEEP READING. DO IT.
Ralph Carlson
What's not to like about Buffy graphic novels?
pianogal
Yeah - I finally caught up with all those Buffy comics I bought years ago and never read. It was so nice of Joss to publish these in 2 volumes. I'm thinking of selling my comics and using the money to buy these bound volumes instead. The storylines here were a little jumpy, but some of the artwork was AMAZING.

SPOILER ALERT:

I don't like the Buffy/Willow outcome, but it wouldn't be Joss without some kind of bodycount (sorry Renee).
Erin
I gave this four stars for a few reasons; good reasons being that the dialogue is so very Whedon, and the artwork is amazing. However, I found it difficult to see where Whedon was taking the Buffy characters;I was shocked and not entirely pleased with some of the new turns taken, especially by Buffy. I won't spoil anything for future readers, and it is worth the time if you loved the show. Just beware the bizarre.
Marc Leroux
I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon, and although I came to Buffy late, it seemed a natural extension to read the graphic Season 8. I wasn't disappointed. The story was good, and it certainly allows a lot more creativity than the small screen permits. The artwork ranges from good to fantastic. The format of the library editions really showcases the art. I'd like to see other graphic novels try this format.
Michelle
I really prefer the artwork done by Georges Jeanty over that of Karl Moline. The faces are so much better, for one thing. I don't know why it was necessary for Buffy to have a homosexual experience, why not make it Xander? Or would male homosexuality be too off-putting. Yes, I'm being snarky, but also serious.
Jasmiina F
Amazing and funny volume in the Buffy comics, but mostly because I love Xander and I think he and Dracula have the the best bromance ever. I didn't give five stars because I'm not sure if I enjoyed all parts of the story.
Nicky
Wish I could give the 1/2 star again. This would be 4 1/2 star - the artwork is amazing and the story evolves the characters bringing in the beginnings of how Fray ends up where she is (cryptic for those who do not know Fray).
Jen
A must read for any fan of Buffy that wants to know what happens next. This brings back all our favorites from the tv show and is a little freer in what they are able to do since tv budgets don't come into play.
Christopher Ryan
I'm still in on this volume, but the story is growing very large. Like Avengers large... Oh.
Anya Teasdale
4.5 not as good as the first volume
Brianna
This book was awesome! I love the comic continuation. Anyways I meed the next one to come out!!!!!! A quick read.
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Core (Season 9, #5)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Willow: Wonderland
  • Spike: The Complete Series
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel
  • Angel: Only Human
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Library Editions (4 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 1
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 4
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous