Start by marking “Tú no vas a ser mi amor” as Want to Read:
Tú no vas a ser mi amor

Tú no vas a ser mi amor

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  2,710 ratings  ·  233 reviews
Cuando Lucy conoce a Nate en Venecia sabe al instante que él es su verdadero amor. Cuando se besan al atardecer en una góndola bajo el Puente de los suspiros parecen sellar -de acuerdo a la leyenda- el romance para siempre. Pero la vuelta a sus países de origen y la distancia hacen que todo se enfríe y Nathaniel, desde Norteamérica, deje a Lucy por teléfono anunciándole qu...more
Mass Market Paperback, 519 pages
Published February 8th 2012 by Punto de lectura (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tú no vas a ser mi amor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tú no vas a ser mi amor

Inge

Do you know the legend of the Bridge of Sighs?
They have a legend in Venice. Kiss your true love underneath the Bridge of Sighs, at sunset, with the church bells ringing, and you will be together forever. Nothing will ever be able to keep you apart. How does that sound?

To 18-year-old Lucy, that sounds like music to her ears. She’s madly in love with Nathaniel, and he with her. So they decide to do it. They kiss under the bridge, and decide to be together forever.

10 years later, Nathaniel...more
Goddess
Ultra chick lit, utterly predictable, clichéd, far-fetched and pathetic with zero dimensional characters.

I had to read this book due to a review week exercise. I loathed it.

Lucy is an airhead. I don't mind reading a book with a bimbo for a heroine if they have interesting idiosyncrasies or are funny or have that special something which makes them unique. But Lucy is incredibly clichéd and boring. She's a struggling artist who doesn't understand what "mergers or acquisitions" means... perhaps a...more
Vanessa Wester
I am the kind of reader that has moods... I read anything and everything, but I definitely read different types of books depending on what I "need" to read (if that makes sense). Well, at the moment I need to read chick lit... And this one was superb!

Ever since I watched the movie "Only you" years ago I have loved all the fate or destiny stuff... "When Harry Met Sally" being another classic... And "Sleepless in Seattle" another great.

This story was all those combined... The power of fate, with a...more
EeeJay
Some funny bits don't make up for the predictable plot. What I'd like to know is how these characters always manage to snag TWO guys at the same time when it's hard enough to grab one????
Amanda
This book is the definition of "eh." It's not terrible, but there is nothing particularly redeeming about it. I kept reading because of a potentially interesting plot - a couple bind themselves together for eternity, according to legend, and then discover they don't so much want to be together. But the characters are stereotyped stock - a clumsy, ditzy, gave-up-on-her-dreams narrator (I'm deliberately not saying "heroine"); a New Age roommate; a high-achieving, workaholic sister. Characterizatio...more
Limau Nipis
Refreshing indeed. The heroine, Lucy is independent - even though she has some issues about finding her 'The One' back. And she is so lovable (compared to some other chick lit authors who made their heroine a shopaholic and seems never grows up!). Lucy is Lucy, with her quirky characters and had a wonderful housemate in the name of Robyn.

And Kate, her sister is not a bitch. I like the sister relationship. Kate is workaholic but has a wonderful husband, who is totally brother in law material to L...more
Shxrxn
See, we can never be apart now. Wherever you go, I go.
- Nathaniel
'If you want to be together, you can always be together.'
- Nathaniel
I'd say the chances of marrying him are less than zero. But that's OK. I'm perfectly fine with it. That's just the way things are, and that's cool.
- Lucy
OK, I confess. I Googled him once. Maybe twice. Oh, all right, so I've lost count over the years. But so what? Who hasn't gone home and Googled a man they're in love with? Hang on - did I just say the L word?
- Lucy...more
Beverly C.
May 25, 2012 Beverly C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love realistic romance novels that are also funny.
First things first, this book may contain spoilers oh and...

haters to the left

I gave this book 4/5 stars because I was wondering whether or not I should give it 5 stars, but then after having a war with myself, I decided to stick with 4 stars. Fair enough right?
I just want to start my review with, well, a few quotes that I love from this book :

If only men were like New York taxi-cabs and had a light that they can switch on when they're interested and off when they're not available. Then you'd know exactly where...more
Faith
This was such a cliched rom-com. I wanted to finish it before I returned it to the library. Lucy, the proagonist, fulfills all the cliches of this genre and manages to be flat and immature in the process. If you're looking for a contemporary romance to read, there are better ones out there.
Leah
When Lucy meets Nate in Venice aged 18, she believes that he’s The One and that they’re destined to be together forever. When Lucy and Nate learn of the Bridge of the Sighs and the legend behind it – that everyone who kisses underneath the bridge, at sunset, are destined to be together forever – they go ahead and do as the legend says. Ten years later, Lucy has moved to New York and she and Nate have lost contact until the Legend brings them back together again. Lucy thinks they’re fated to be t...more
Melody
When 18-year-old British girl Lucy Hemmingway met American boy Nathaniel Kennedy when they were in Venice, Italy, it was as if they were being hit by Cupid's arrow. Perhaps they are young, or perhaps they got carried away by the romantic atmosphere that they kissed under the Bridge of Sighs at sunset with the church bells ringing. And according to the legend, any couple who did that will be tied to each other for eternity.

However ten years later, they had went on separate ways and Lucy is now w...more
Kelly
So... I started this book with a frown. This normally isn't my kind of read, but I do love sappy love stories. So when my friend got it for me, I was happy nevertheless. I, indeed, expected one of those sappy love stories that make you swoon, but I was fairly disappointed.

Lucy and Nathaniel met in Venice at the age of 18 and 20. Madly in love with each other they kissed under the Bridge of Sighs. Only after they got seperated (since Lucy lived in England and Nate in America) Nathan got married t...more
Kat
Una chica de Inglaterra. Un chico de Estados Unidos. Se conocen en Venecia, se enamoran, viven una hermosa y apasionada historia de amor, y entonces escuchan de una leyenda, la del Puente de los Suspiros, si se besan bajo ese puente estarán juntos por toda la eternidad. Para siempre. Pero entonces llega el final del verano y los dos deben volver a sus hogares, un año pasa en el cual su relación se mantiene mediante cartas y llamadas, hasta que un día él llama y le dice que rompen y que se va a c...more
Sarah Dane
What a nice story, it makes you wonder and reflect after reading. However, I can't imagine the characters since they're not described in details.

Catching lines

“That life can change in the blink of any eye. All you have is right now. So don’t ever put off telling someone how you feel about them, don’t assume that they know, because they might not and it might be too late.”

“The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire.”

“And yet you can spend a lifetime with someone and...more
Carina Gironella
This book is not like any other books I’ve read. It’s about a lady (Lucy Hemmingway) who believed in soulmates, destiny, kismet, fate, all those stuff about love. At first read, you might think it’s just a typical love story and will have a predicable ending then another thought hits you that maybe it’s not…

While other books focused on finding the ONE, Lucy Hemmingway, the protagonist, only wanted to get rid of him. Lucy and Nate met at Venice during summer in their teen-years. The usual couple...more
Mad Katniss
I hate Lucy when she's with Nate. But I love her when she's with Adam.

The thing is, in the part where she realized that she does not love Nate anymore is that part where she started a new love with Adam. They clicked when they are together. She is happy and acts like her real self when she is with him. From this part on, it's like watching a chick flick movie. The feel good one that would make you smile and would make you think that, hey true love can be possible and though it is hardwork, true...more
Eatonlm
This sounded like a great concept. At times it was even cute. In execution it requires a complete re-write. The main character, Lucy's feelings are portrayed to us redundantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the exact wording was verbatim to the first time we were introduced to her feelings or her messy habits, or one of the other million things that made her completely unlikable. Who would want to be stuck with this girl forever? I'd be doing my best to get rid of her too.

The ending was predictabl...more
Daisy
I really liked the concept of this book: what if you can't get away from someone who's obviously not the one after all? And Lucy is a really likeable main character, which is so important. I thought Nate was awful and underwent a complete transformation from the time he spent in Venice with Lucy to when se sees him again in New York, it's hard to believe they were the same person.
I thoughts some parts were a bit predictable, but nevertheless, this was an enjoyable read.
mikha  ϟ
The plot reminds me a lot of the movie, When in Rome(2010) which really isnt a good movie but it was really funny and i laughed out loud a lot so that makes up for it.

Anyway, both the plot from this book and that movie takes place in Italy, In Venice and in Rome(obviously). It portrays the different beliefs and legends of the italians about love and destiny. :) I dont know if it actually works from real life. :)That would be spooky.
Marblezzie (Blez)
The prologue of the story was quite catching. I got really excited in the beginning it was obviously a budding romance between two teenagers who were destined to be together for a lifetime. But as I read into the story, I did find it for the most part really tedious.

Although it made an about-face at the end when it was too funny to put down because of the constant bickering between Lucy and Nate.

Janeen
Dhini
I liked it.But I could not say that I loved it..And it is not that funny so I could say that it is a romantic comedy..there is a little humor, a little sarcasm, affection and love story although I did not get the chemistry.But I loved the characters..I loved the way Alexandra Potter descibed it.It is plainly written.Alexandra Potter is a great writer but maybe not the best storyteller.
Ivy Mei
A friend of mine borrowed this book to me saying it was awesome and that she loved it a lot and so I decided to give it a go and wow do I love it! This is the first novel I read by Alexandra Potter. Definitely not the last. Bought my own copies of Be careful what you wish for and do you come here often? Amazing author.
Elusive
'You're The One That I Don't Want' is aptly titled, seeing as that's how I feel about the book by the end of it. It was completely boring and predictable despite having an interesting storyline involving getting rid of someone who's supposedly 'The One'.

The main problem is the cast. All of the characters are stereotypical and one-dimensional. You have the typical flawed lead character Lucy who ticks the boxes for the usual sort of female chick-lit lead: clumsy, longs for true love (in her case,...more
Rosie
I first discovered Alexandra Potter a couple of years ago with Me and Mr Darcy. The book was fun but not without some problems. I didn’t let it put me off though and I thought that I’d give this novel a try instead.

Here we have Lucy Hemmingway who is still in love with her ex (who she believes is The One) for ten years. After ten years of pining, Nate is suddenly back in Lucy’s life but it’s not at all what she expected. Throughout the rest of the novel she spends her time trying to break up and...more
CJ
This was different. Most of us wonder about The One Who Got Away. This proved that sometimes one needs to be reminded of why it didn't work in the first place.

- Each subplot was very predictable and the one concerning Kate was pretty out of place in a chic lit read such as this but I did think Robyn's was at least a little interesting, so there's that. I liked the balance that Kate and Robyn brought to Lucy's life and I thought we would at least get to measure Nate and Adam in the same sense bu...more
Jara
The book was awesome. This'll teach you the importance of making your own fate and doing something to be with that 'someone' you truly love. Yes, soulmates may really exist, but you can choose the person you can spend forever with. :)
Maya De toro
Okay so the thing with this story is that it's like it came from a movie or fiction(perhaps), and yet its refreshing and sort of a toe-curler(?) induced sensation from the sweetness and how Sierra and Nate just end up being in the same place or like how their phones end up calling each others phone when they weren't. But, my favorite part would have to be how their half-coin pendants end up appearing when they lost it for a long time or how it ends up reappearing after it was thrown in a lake. I...more
Sophie
cheesy magical chick lit. Loved it!
Elvia
I don't know what to think of this book. I liked it but I think that it was 100 pages too long. I think that Potter attempted to ask and answer the question of Fate/Destiny and Choice. The novel ends in the idea of no coincidence whether through the Universe, Hubris, or Destiny. I believe in a Sovereign God so I can relate but I'm slightly disgruntled that this was not even attributed. In fact, it appeared very anti-religious and more New Age than I usually like. My review, my opinion, you don't...more
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero
  • Getting Away with It
  • My Single Friend
  • Please Forgive Me
  • Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • The Only Way Is Up
  • Living la Vida Loca
  • Fairytale of New York
  • 50 Ways To Find A Lover (Sarah Sargeant, #1)
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • 10 Reasons Not To Fall In Love
  • An Autumn Crush
  • Solo
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of nine romantic comedies (soon to be ten when her latest novel, THE LOVE DETECTIVE is published in 2014). Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
More about Alexandra Potter...
Be Careful What You Wish For Me and Mr. Darcy Who's That Girl? Don't You Forget About Me Calling Romeo

“Forget men, I want to marry my MacBook. It’s dependable, reliable and you can even go shopping with it.” 176 likes
“Everyone dreams of finding their soulmate. It's a universal quest. All over the world millions of people are looking for their true love, their amore thier ame soeur, that one special person with whom they will spend the rest of their life.

And I'm no different.

Except it doesn't happen for everyone. Some people spend their whole life looking and never find that person. It's the luck of the draw.

If, by some miracle, you're lucky enough to meet the ONE, whatever you do, don't let them go. Because you don't get another shot at it. Soulmates aren't like buses there's not going to be another one along in a minute. That's why they're called, "THE ONE".”
122 likes