Start by marking “The War at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
The War at the End of the World

The War at the End of the World (Love is Always Write)

September, 1941.

War correspondent Joseph Byrne has been cheating death all his life, ever since he spent two years in an iron lung as a boy diagnosed with polio. In the years since, the Fetch, a strange being charged by Death with collecting Joseph and transporting him into the unknown, has been condemned to watch and wait.

Now, with Joseph working in a Finland caught in a
Published June 15th 2012 by Storm Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about The War at the End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War at the End of the World

Nancy
Posted at Outlaw Reviews

Having read Hawaiian Gothic, I knew that this short paranormal story would be unusual, unique and full of the unexpected. Joseph is a wartime journalist covering events that occurred in Finland after the Winter War, when Finland lost nearly 10% of its territory to Russia. Because Finland lacked materials, resources and support during WW2, it formed an alliance with Nazi Germany. When it was obvious that Germany was going to lose the war, Finland distanced itself from Germ
Adara
May 10, 2012 Adara rated it really liked it
I had the chance to proof the story before the LiAW event released it. It is an unusual pairing and relationship to say the least, but it does give me the warm fuzzies and is an enjoyable historical read.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume Ten.

To be completely honest, this dragged a little in the middle for me when Joseph was just going around doing his thing. But it doesn't really matter. This was beautiful, and sad, and uplifting, and heartbreaking. A little bit of time jumping, but the dates kept things clear. Great idea and very well executed.

"I have a choice, and simultaneously no choice at all. Because I love him. He is my son and my brother and my fat
Clodia Metelli
Jul 01, 2012 Clodia Metelli rated it really liked it
This was a layered, vivid and eerie story set mostly in the surprising setting of wartime Finland. Not a setting I know much about (though I feel I know more now) but it felt convincingly well-researched and well realised.
Joseph, an American war-correspondent reports on the volatile situation in Finland in which the Nazis are assisting the Finns in fighting off the threat from the Soviet Union. Of partially Jewish ancestry and left-wing sympathies, Joseph is distinctly uneasy about this allianc
Bookbee
A most unusual tale! I found it to be a bit on the dark side at times but it finishes on an uplifting note. Well written and well researched!
MLE
Sep 14, 2012 MLE rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, and haunting. The setting, and characters were interesting, and so well drawn I felt like I was there. One of the best stories of this, or any, of the collections.
Serena Yates
Sep 06, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
What if Death, or rather one of his helpers, were a person, a man with feelings of his own? Someone who wakes up one day and starts acting on his own principles rather than those "programmed' into him? That is the central idea behind this poignant, tear-inducing and utterly heart wrenching story about love triumphing in the most unlikely of situations.

The Fetch is the narrator of the story, and we don’t find out a lot about him. His thoughts about Joseph and his actions define him, but since he
Nina
engaging, spellbinding, original, unusual and masterfully written. almost perfect... i don't know what was missing for me. probably, upon reread, i would give it five stars. or i'll change my rating tomorrow first thing in the morning - which wouldn't be unusual. anyway, recommended to all m/m lovers - the belleau/vane couple is not one you wanna miss.
Hannah
3.5 stars. Haunting and beautifully written.
Victoria Zagar
Oct 03, 2012 Victoria Zagar rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I love historical fiction, especially fiction set around the Second World War. The War At The End Of The World is certainly an interesting concept, mixing historical with supernatural and it's very well-written and researched. It was certainly an enjoyable read, even though supernatural stories are not usually my taste. I especially liked some of the vivid descriptions that really gave me a sense of time and place.

My complaints with the story center around the jumping between years. I
Alex
Jun 28, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
Overall
These two authors always take me for a ride, never knowing if I'm going to like the ending, but never disappointing, even if they break my heart, and this is no exception. This is a refreshingly different story that takes place during WWII mainly, but in Finland rather than the standard locations. Once again Belleau and Vane bring the supernatural into a mundane world, creating something terrible and beautiful that leaves an impression.

This is a very different love story, as we are trappe
Tammy K.
I give this short 4 stars.
This is listed under gay romance fiction as it contains gay characters, however there is no sex.
The short is written in diary format.
The dates jump a bit here and there (flashbacks, flash forwards, and flash backs again) to help build the characters histories. It mostly takes place during WW2.
I found this to be an unusual love story, in that it took me a couple of flashes to figure out the characters/emotions/relationship.
I really felt this book needed more, in that it
Heidi Belleau
May 10, 2012 Heidi Belleau added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: publications
Our LiAW historical paranormal short!

Available for free from the goodreads m/m group or as a download in your favourite format from Storm Moon Press.
Laylah
Sep 18, 2012 Laylah rated it really liked it
I continue to adore the way this writing team approaches the supernatural. I wish the story had been a little longer, so there could have been more (view spoiler), but still a lovely free read.
Victoria
Jun 29, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Intriguing and beautifully written. Thank you Heidi Belleau, for donating your story, time and talent.
Brooke
Well written and enjoyable but I didn't completely conect with the characters given the length. Still it's s unique story that stands out.
Sophia
This story was something not in the ordinary way. I loved the paranormal aspect of Death's assistants being sentient beings. The story is told from the perspective of the 'Fetch' assigned to Joseph, a Jewish American. Joseph cheated death as a child when he had polio and he's cheating it again as a war correspondent in the war between Finland and Russia. The Fetch has been shadowing Joseph all his life and now feels that their time together is coming to an end and this pains him.

The story is onl
Furio
Dec 30, 2013 Furio rated it did not like it
Ms Belleau takes a narrative vacation from her 'dubious consent' aka 'non-consent' aka 'rape' "erotic"-(really?)-stories to deliver a potentially interesting but unsuccessful suspence/mystical love story.

Set for the most part in Karelia during WWII, this M/M short story is undoubtedly nicely written but not enough so as to transform the harshness of war in a frozen land into the grim poetic imagery the author was clearly aiming at. The nature of the POV bearer, a supernatural of sorts, is willin
Wendy Ann
I struggle with giving ratings on stories like this. Clearly, the authors did a lot of historical research to make this piece more authentic. I appreciate that effort and their contribution of this free story, but if I’m being honest, it just didn’t strike a chord with me. I skimmed and found the timeline jumping a bit distracting. I have no doubt that others will love it, it just didn’t get past okay for me.
Serena
Oct 12, 2014 Serena rated it liked it
I quite liked this, a Fetch (a supernatural double or apparition of a living person in Irish folklore) falling in love with their doubles, war, reincarnation, and male nurses dreaming of things that have been and meetings that tell what will be will be.
Elizabetta
Jun 18, 2012 Elizabetta rated it really liked it
Shelves: liaw-2012, free-have
Wow...just wow. What wonderful story spinning from the LIAW prompt and a photo of a wrecked motorcycle! The authors pack an absorbing, intriguing story in 30-odd pages -- not an easy task! There is no sex in this tale but there is undying (literally) love across the ages. Bravo!
Deanna Against Censorship
Haunting and tender story set in the framework of war and death. Unusual story line beautifully written. Cover is perfect for the story. First work I have read by this author but it will not be the last.
Janie
Dec 10, 2012 Janie rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-stories
Sorry to say that I just did not like this short story at all. On a positive not though, the writing was very well written.
Katy Beth Mckee
This is a very strange yet compelling story. You are drawn to the characters and what they might represent. Yet somehow in the end you find a path to love has been discovered.
Dcf260
Jun 15, 2012 Dcf260 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, free-reads
It felt a little broken up.
Aniko
Jul 06, 2012 Aniko rated it liked it
Hard story to rate. I liked it, but it definitely needs a little fleshing out. The threads are too disconnected. I would be interested to read an expanded version.
qx
Jun 16, 2012 qx rated it really liked it
3.5
rameau
Feb 07, 2013 rameau marked it as random-annotations
This author combo didn't work for me, but Finland. Twist my arm why don't you. Eh, let me think about it.

Also, "in a Finland"? In. A. Finland. Really?
Daniel Kaine
Jul 06, 2012 Daniel Kaine rated it really liked it
A little jumpy in places with the time-shifts and flashbacks, but still a great read. Very sweet, and an interesting, original concept.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Hard Ride
  • In All Your Ways
  • Take a Breath
  • A Hard Dazed Knight
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town New Brunswick, graduated with a degree in history from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and now lives outside of Edmonton, Alberta, with her tradesman husband and two kids. A proud bisexual woman, her writing reflects everything she loves: diverse casts of queer characters, a sense of history and place, equal parts witty and filthy dialog ...more
More about Heidi Belleau...

Love is Always Write (1 - 10 of 147 books)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Magick's Cucumber
  • For Those Who Wait
  • Disciplinary Action
  • Soulmates
  • With This Ring
  • Predators
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Time Enough