Assurdo universo

Assurdo universo

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Se l'universo - come pare - non è infinito, dovremmo rassegnarci fin d'ora all'idea che quando avremo finito di farne il giro non ci saranno altri posti dove andare. Se infatti esistono altri universi, questi si trovano per definizione in un altro spazio, incomunicante col nostro. Ma quella insuperabile agenzia di viaggi che è la fs, non s'è mai lasciata arrestare da una c...more
Paperback, Classici Urania #61, 207 pages
Published April 1982 by Mondadori (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Assurdo universo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assurdo universo

Incontro con Rama by Arthur C. ClarkeGuida Galattica per gli Autostoppisti by Douglas AdamsPreludio alla Fondazione by Isaac AsimovLe sabbie di Marte by Arthur C. ClarkeIl ristorante al termine dell'universo by Douglas Adams
Urania
11th out of 35 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Photobucket

Fredric Brown was a true ubermensch of the Golden Age of Science Fiction, and his short stories are still among the best ever written in the genre. I mean that. Best...Ever...Written.

What Mad Universe is one of only a handful of SF novels that he wrote, a tear-inducing shame given how bursting with amazing it is. What's so unique about this tale is that it's both classic pulp SF in its own right, while at the same time acting as an examination/critique of pulp SF stereotypes.

Double your pleasu...more
Lorelei
Really enjoyable to find some real science fiction in the old style. I enjoyed it very much, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, quick read. Not so easy to find anymore, but worth it.
Rhys
Although better known for his (extremely brief) short stories, Frederic Brown was also an extremely accomplished novelist. The solidity of his prose style is remarkable: he was just a very good writer, able to express sometimes quite complex ideas very clearly indeed.

This novel was published in 1949 and it's a mark of how sophisticated the SF field was becoming in the hands of such writers as Brown (and Sprague de Camp and a few others) that they were able to twist their imaginations around to d...more
thegift
i have not read pulp sf in its first time so the parody is of a type of lit i know only through critical work. this is ranked as best, incorporating the fans, the writers, the editors, the magazines, in a fantasy about itself. as for work of the sort it is a work about, i prefer the more serious sf work of 'galaxies' by malzburg, but this is fun, repeat: fun. it is written for fans of pulp who have read enough to recognize itself. i have read he influenced philip k dick, this is not dick at his...more
Alanpalmer
Basic plot. Someone is transferrerred into a parallel universe some of which seems to be of his own creation. Nothing is quite waht it seems and he has to be careful not to be caught out by performing seemingly mundane day to day tasks which in this universe have serious conswquences.

If you have read my review of "Martians go home" by the same author you will find the next comments familiar.

Having set up interesting plot lines with some depth to the charachters there is a rather abrupt ending (n...more
TrumanCoyote
An interesting subtlety which I didn't glom onto the first time I read this: it's not actually what's in the scifi geek's brain, but what the editor guy imagines would be in there. lol The whole thing with the blackouts was very well thought out and extrapolated.
Cheryl in CC NV
The first Brown I read (afaik). Now I'm such a big fan that I even read his mysteries* when I get a chance to do so. He's very smart, clever without being at all pretentious.

*I am *not* a fan of mysteries, intrigue, or thrillers.
Steve Stuart
This is a well respected, classic sci fi novel that routinely makes it onto lists of the top books in the genre. It predates the Hugos or Nebulas, or it surely would have won some awards. So I was fairly surprised that I didn't actually enjoy it that much. It's the best novel-length work by a sci-fi author who is better known for his short stories… perhaps that should have told me something.

I suppose the problem is that I can't get enthusiastic about pulp-era science fiction. This is a satire of...more
Williwaw
Feb 25, 2012 Williwaw rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pulp fiction/sf lovers
This is a fast-paced, pulpy, science fiction novel. It's about a pulp magazine editor, Keith Winton, who edits a magazine called "Surprising Stories." (This story first appeared in a magazine called "Startling Stories," and I actually read the magazine version, published in 1948!).

Winton gets blasted into an alternate universe that is in many ways similar to his own, but in many ways different. For one thing, earth is under attack by Arcturians, which has necessitated blanketing all major cities...more
Dkolacinski
An SF classic, somewhat dated, but still pleasurable. What if you were suddenly transported into a parallel world, where someone else were you, and you were in danger because of an intergalactic war? Not PKD, but what is? This still is a fun read.
John Mccullough
A flash into an alternate universe, much like this one. Almost. A crashed moon rocket sends Keith Winton into a new and largely dystopic world. How will he survive in this new world/environment? Read the book!!
Baron
Olethros
-La sátira puede esconderse en cualquier rincón del humor -.

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Un accidente durante la prueba de un cohete experimental transporta a nuestro protagonista, editor de ciencia-ficción, hacia una realidad paralela que presenta desarrollos técnicos mucho más avanzados (otros no tanto) y en la que estamos bajo la amenaza de los arturianos, alienígenas con malas intenciones.

¿Quiere saber más del libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Marv
An enjoyable read of a piece of classic pulp sci-fi.
Marie
Jun 15, 2012 Marie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Protagonist Keith Winton, beleaguered editor of Surprising Stories suddenly finds himself in an alternate universe. Like all good alt-unis, this one is exactly like ours save for one small detail: in 1903, a Harvard professor attempting to repair his wife's sewing machine inadvertently invented an interstellar drive."

Felix
German Edition - German Review:

Irgendwie auch interessant zu sehen, was man vor über 60 Jahren so als innovative und anspruchsvolle SF angesehen hat. Heutzutage liest es sich wie gehobene Fan-Fiction. Liegt vielleicht auch an der Übersetzung. Die Seitenhiebe auf das SF-Fandom sind nett, der plot dagegen eher hanebüchen und platt-naiv. Nur was für echte Fans, die gerne in Nostalgie schwelgen.
David Allen
The editor of a sci-fi magazine is transported to an alternate universe eerily similar to his own, except that space travel exists, the Earth is at war with bug-eyed monsters and comely women wear minimal clothing. Why, it's almost as if the universe were designed by a sci-fi fan. Slyly imaginative and a fun read.
Cynthia
I don't own this book, I read all of Frederic Brown's stuff from the library back in 1972. And that's been long enough ago that I can only remember one of his short stories. But I recall looking frantically for anything and everything he had read because they were so good and so funny.
Kristen Northrup
Very fun and breezy. Just moved right along. Sets up an interesting world and does a really nice job with the exposition. Never got any sense of a foundation for the grand romance, which made some of his decisions just seem stupid, but that was the only quibble.
Sbulf
Scrittura da manuale. Sì, va bene, è un romanzo leggero, senza troppe pretese, ma secondo me è perfetto. Se lo trovate, prendetelo al volo!
Metello
Un libro carino, più adatto ai fan della fantascienza, soprattutto d'annata, perché ci sono riferimenti e topos letterari di quell'epoca e di quel genere.

L'idea è carina, forse non è invecchiato al meglio.
Ian
A pitch-perfect spoof of 50s SF, in which a pulp magazine editor is suddenly thrust into a world in which every bad sci-fi cliche is literally true. An underrated classic.
Esteban
awesome book

a classic for old "horror" books

very imaginative, a well located story for its time

7/10
Allyce
Really fascinating this world that Brown creates. One of the more unique science fiction books I have read in while.
Kevin
What a wonderful book, how had I not heard of Fredric Brown before. I really want to read more of his stuff.
Dave Lefevre
Wow.. those were the days... when fun pulp sci-fi was put out by the month.
Yupa
  • The Lovers
  • The Listeners
  • Schismatrix
  • Final Blackout
Fredric Brown was an American science fiction and mystery writer. He was one of the boldest early writers in genre fiction in his use of narrative experimentation. While never in the front rank of popularity in his lifetime, Brown has developed a considerable cult following in the almost half century since he last wrote. His works have been periodically reprinted and he has a worldwide fan base, m...more
More about Fredric Brown...
Martians, Go Home Nightmares And Geezenstacks The Fabulous Clipjoint The Best of Fredric Brown Night of the Jabberwock