Start by marking “The Lord of the Rings” as Want to Read:
The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings #1-3)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  330,080 ratings  ·  7,613 reviews
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-earth, i
Kindle Edition, 50th Anniversary One-Volume Edition, 1179 pages
Published 2005 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord of the Rings, please sign up.

Srikumar Krishna Iyer Please don't think twice but rather go ahead and read the book.
Please don't think twice but rather go ahead and read the book.
I assure you that you will be transformed to a new level of understanding, which is more clear and very interesting.
You will start to enjoy the scenes from the movie which you would have ignored before.
You will be amazed that you will even remember the names of places & characters better.
Some characters have multiple names (e.g: Legolas, Gandalf, Strider - all these have so many names), You will recognize these names when it is used in the movie, which may not be understood by the audience who have not read the book.

I highly recommend you to read the book & get transported to the world of middle earth...........& get lost.......(less)
Benita J. The LOTR movies aren't quite as good as the book, but they're much better than the Hobbit movies! I'm just like you, I LOVE the book and know tons…moreThe LOTR movies aren't quite as good as the book, but they're much better than the Hobbit movies! I'm just like you, I LOVE the book and know tons about it, and I would say you should definitely watch them!(less)

mark monday
not a review and there probably won't be one any time soon. i also won't be climbing Mount Everest in the near future. but here are some cool illustrations that i found and want to share.

World of the Ring by Jian Guo
Brad
Twenty-five years ago I'd have given The Lord of the Rings my highest possible praise. I came to Tolkien's masterpiece on my own, and that meant much to me at twelve. The only books that had been reached by me alone were books on mythology and horror. Everything else I read, from DH Lawrence to Hemingway to Dickens to Shakespeare (and this also included Dracula and Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde because they were "true" classics), was suggested and sanctioned by my mother (for which I will always owe ...more
Manny
Considering that The Lord of the Rings is one of the most popular books of the last century, it's surprising to see how few reviews there are here. I get the impression that many people feel guilty about liking it. It's a phase you go through, and the less said about it, the better. I think this is unfair to the book, which, I am prepared to argue, is a whole lot better than it's generally made out to be; I don't think its huge success is just evidence that people have no taste. It's something t ...more
Manny
Books

Look at thisss, hobbitses! Not bought at flea market for ten francses. Catalogue says worth seven hundred dollarses. Oh yes, Not knows about bookses, gollum. But can't touch, can't read, she says too valuable. Going to eat fish instead, but nice birthday present, oh yes precious.
Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
Dolly
Jul 18, 2008 Dolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read fantasy and/or philosophy
I read Lord of the Rings first when I was about eleven or so, and then stayed up all night at a hip boy/girl party in the bathroom with Nathan O. ... talking about ents and elves and whether Tom Bombadil was God. Yes, I was a geeky child. However, all these years later, the story has stuck with me.

First a warning: Don't read Tolkien if you don't appreciate true-omnicient-narrator-style epics. Tolkien isn't a master character builder: he leaves all that to the reader's imagination. The agony in
Shovelmonkey1
Mar 28, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who feels like their journey to work is too long
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: millions of LARPers and fans can't be wrong

I became horrifically lazy towards the end of the LOTR re-read which was undertaken as part of my "month of the kitten squisher" and neglected to review the final two books which together make up The Return of the King. Not so much resting on my laurels as stretching out full length and having a big old snooze right on top of them. But you've all seen the film by now right? So no need to continue...

Kidding, kidding.
(and I've now put this review in the correct order so the newest bits are at the
Aubrey
Whenever my environment had failed to support or nourish me, I clutched at books…

-Richard Wright, Black Boy
If you want a purely enraptured detailing all of and only of love provoked by these pages, look elsewhere. If you desire an analysis of the fundamental roots of fantasy and how this book fits in within the wider scope of the literary genre, it is not here. If you crave a complete and utter breakdown of all the faults this novel begets on the larger realm of reality, you will be unsatisfie
Markus
Words cannot express how much I love... what was that? A cliché, you say? All right, let's try words after all, then...

I don't think I'll be making a habit of reviewing books I read before joining this site, but after some pondering over a few months I've decided to make another exception for the best book I've ever read.

So once I get all my thoughts down on paper, there's a review - aka. a rant about my history with and undying love for this book - to come!

May Eru grant me the ability to do it
Kristin Little
May 27, 2007 Kristin Little rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like walking and indecipherable poetry.
Save time... watch the movies. This book can appeal only to a linguist. The underlying story is great, but it is buried under an avalance of horribly annoying songs and poems that do nothing to advance the story. They just take up space. I diligently read every last one, hoping that they held some deep meaning in relation to the story, but if there is one, it is so obscure that it serves no purpose. Also, the book is all about walking. Yes, I know they are on an epic quest, and there has to be s ...more
Szplug
Out of the wreck rose the Black Rider, tall and threatening, towering above her. With a cry of hatred that stung the very ears like venom he let fall his mace. Her shield was shivered in many pieces, and her arm was broken; she stumbled to her knees. He bent over her like a cloud, and his eyes glittered; he raised his mace to kill.

One of the best books ever. Stirred the embers of more imaginations than can be measured. Found a way to reach something vital but ineffable inside millions of differe
Kanova
I was forced to read this book. Each member of my first book club had an opportunity to choose the book we read. When one of the members chose The Lord of the Rings I was not happy. Fantasy is not my genre! But I was a good book club member and read it anyway.

I loved it! There were times when I did not want to sleep because I wanted to finish just one more page or chapter. Tolkien creates whole worlds, languages, species, and histories. It is epic in its scope. Somehow he manages to entertain, m
MJ Nicholls
Nov 16, 2012 MJ Nicholls marked it as getting-even  ·  review of another edition
Those books that balloon into virulent, lethal pop-culture viruses that feast on disinterested bystanders. You try to flee them by hiding in a disused warehouse under a soiled mattress in the Democratic Republic of Congo, but Frodo and his friends will find you eventually and pull you into their lair of medieval gimps called Bilbo and Bongo on an implausibly long and homoerotic quest for a misplaced ring. Did they look behind the sofa? Under the fridge? This whole quest could have been avoided! ...more
Werner
Apr 26, 2008 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, classics
Actually, I read Tolkien's masterful Middle Earth fantasy corpus, beginning with The Hobbit in the early 70's and finishing the Lord of the Rings trilogy almost a decade later, before this anniversary edition came out. (I also read all four books to my wife in the early 80's; she loved them too!)

This body of work is, of course, the genre-defining classic of modern fantasy --especially epic, or "high" fantasy -- which popularized the genre as the publishing market force it is today, exerted enorm
Sakura87
Concedetemi un po' di autobiografismo, perché Tolkien non può essere recensito.

Era il gennaio del 2002 quando gli amici del liceo mi invitarono a vedere un film d'avventura. Il Signore degli anelli, questo il titolo della pellicola, e per le mie conoscenze letterarie d'allora poteva benissimo essere la biografia di un gioielliere. Andai tuttavia a vederlo con loro, entrando in sala senza alcuna idea di ciò che avrei dovuto aspettarmi.
Due ore e mezza dopo, uscii dalla sala con la bocca ancora ape
Mike (the Paladin)
The epic fantasy against which all other epic fantasies are measured. And there is reason. Beautiful, lyrical, depth, enthralling. I love these books. I've read them many many times. Really they are not to be missed. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

'Nuff said!
Old-Barbarossa
OK, first of all I know some folk love this and I'm not saying they shouldn't. Everyone has different tastes.
I read this on my second attempt. I tried first when I was in my teens and found it dull, I gave up around page 100 or so. I finally read it years back in my early 30s, but although it was still dull I gave it the benefit of the doubt and finished it. My opinion changed from dull to dull and not that big a deal.
It seems to be full of: long descriptions of folk walking about (dull); elf po
Jonathan

A Reflection Upon an Influential Work of Fiction

How does one set about writing a review for a book that has so influenced their reading history? If you are by any means a wide reader or even a student of popular western culture then you would understand the essential impact that The Lord of the Rings has had upon fiction as a whole across film and written literature. The film versions are some of the finest films in existence and the book itself remains a ground-breaking fantasy epic, rivalled
Aly∞
I'm a huge fan of LOTR. Always have been, always will be. It's so bad that I have figurines of all the characters, cards, posters, an original autographed Italian copy of the book, all the paperbacks, hardbacks and I am now starting a collection of the "special edition" covers... or what I like to call "the super amazing pretty covers" that look like this:

(I know it's The Hobbit, but shush, I'll get the rest soon)

I've read my Italian copy so many times that it now looks like this:

Once upon a tim
William
Jonathan
I do not believe in removing a work of passion or care from existence, no matter how sloppy it may be. For this reason I have allowed this review to continue to exist, as an example of one of my first reviewing efforts when I joined this site. However, a far superior (to me) review now exists and you can find it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I believe that The Lord of the Rings is one of the most brilliant stories created by a man who truly understood language, myth and legend.
Alex
Jul 04, 2013 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: reviews
THE Epic Fantasy

It is a grand achievement how Tolkien has created a world so different to our own with elves, dwarves, hobbits, orcs, wizards, and men, where we still feel so much at home with the characters. The depth of the characters really makes the book, with a real emphasis on friendship and companionship along the truly epic journey of the Fellowship of The Ring.

"You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin – to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours
Geoff
This buch was wreckomeaned HIGHLY to me by MJ NICHOLLS. He is an writer to who wrote a buch called The Postmortem Blech which I havenot read bycause I haven’t solved the maize puzzle on the coover yet. (Spoiler it’s hard!) But I sure likked this Ring trilogism. There was short people with big feet and weird people who lived in the woods and I knew who all the evil people were because they looked the least like beautiful Caucasians. What else to say? MJ Nicholls has opened my reading lifes up to ...more
Callista
I managed to avoid reading this until the first film came out. After the credits rolled on The Fellowship of the Ring, I wanted to know what happened next, and so I read the book. It took me quite a while. I'm not naturally a fan of the peculiar writing style that characterises High Fantasy, and at the risk of angering Tolkienites everywhere, I have to say there are number of things about the book I'm not wild about.
I don't like Tom Bombadil, the way orcs and uruk-hai sound like gangs of Victor
Wes
Jan 19, 2008 Wes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Wes by: my Dad
It's nice to have favorites. When you have a favorite -- a favorite menu item, a favorite car, a favorite shirt -- you can enter at least one corner of the maelstrom of subjective choices that life presents to you and evaluate the choices in that corner not with respect to some external criteria, but rather with respect to one specific thing.

For example, when asking oneself what the greatest book of all time is, one might first have to ask, "what makes a book great?" -- which is a question that
Jocelyn
Whatever Tolkien's flaws may be, the staggering scope of his creation has always been compelling to me. The effort he puts into describing his world isn't just pointless detail, it's what ultimately defines the Lord of the Rings, and I've never seen any author ambitious enough to push their level of research and detail to the extent Tolkien has. The world of this book is fully realized, so much that simply thinking about it seems to bring it alive.

Several people have labeled this book as stodgy
Jon
Jun 29, 2007 Jon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
LOTR has its faults, yes: it can be excessively descriptive; female characters (even the important ones) aren't as fully fleshed-out and realized as male characters (Arwen spends most of the books making a flag); Gandalf annoyingly and constantly points out how everyone else's decisions are wrong; the refusal to interweave chapter-by-chapter the stories of Frodo & Sam with the stories of everyone else results in literally hundreds of pages going by without mention of the majority of the main ...more
Paul Bryant
Wow - I have just stumbled on this fantastic quote about Tolkien from China Mieville (via GR friends Traveller and Cecily!) and it absolutely sums up the problem with Tolkien - even though I read him many years ago and even though I was enthralled and read him all over again, every word here is true :

"Tolkien is the wen on the arse of fantasy literature. His oeuvre is massive and contagious - you can't ignore it, so don't even try. The best you can do is consciously try to lance the boil. And th
Gyst
These books were vastly influential, very interesting, but they are ultimately very boring to read.
Jeremy
No, I never finished this set of books. Truth be told, I can't - they're awful and horribly written. For me I found the author to be self indulgent in his writing. I know many people are impressed that he made up the languages, races , the lands, etc... quite frankly, big deal. Star Trek did it, as did Star Wars. I realize that many many people say without this book we would not have modern Dungeons & Dragons style books, games and the many spin offs.

Again, I disagree.

Just because Tolkien d
Toast 10 30 Jun 01, 2015 03:55PM
Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire (aka. Game of Thrones)? 53 306 May 30, 2015 05:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Appendixes 4 34 May 29, 2015 01:32PM
The Reading For P...: The Lord of the Rings: Buddy read with Holly, Mary and Stephanie 34 41 May 29, 2015 08:00AM
suggest me some books 7 55 May 22, 2015 10:26AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Anyone else naming pets/children after LOTR? 71 649 May 22, 2015 03:02AM
  • The Earthsea Trilogy
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #2)
  • The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10)
  • A Tolkien Bestiary
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)
  • The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3)
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • The Endless Knot (The Song of Albion, #3)
  • Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy (Riddle-Master, #1-3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7)
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 3557 likes
“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”
3110 likes