Start by marking “Murder Misdirected” as Want to Read:
Murder Misdirected

Murder Misdirected

A fortune in diamonds is missing and everyone, including the FBI and an unknown killer, is after them. They're also after The Kid, the professional who picked the pocket of the man last seen carrying the diamonds. Kid didn't get the diamonds, he didn't even know about them-but he's finding that story hard to sell. His world spirals out of control as everyone he knows becom ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Mainly Murder Press (first published May 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Misdirected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Misdirected

Jun 18, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Received copy of MURDER MISDIRECTED on 6-16-12. Started reading 6-17-12. I am on page 30 and I like this book already. A free giveaway! Thank you Mr. MacRae. Thank you Goodreads.

Completed this enjoyable read on 6-18-12. This book is well written in a good style. The mystery is solved at the end of the book. The author has employed the tools of good writing. Thank you, sir.
Jan 26, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
Murder Misdirected by Andrew MacRae is a brilliant San Francisco Noir mystery. I say brilliant because I never thought I would like an expert pick pocket. I will say that I really did like him but he was pick pocket. I will say that I really like him but he was pick pocket.

The Kid is a well read, intelligent, has an exceptional memory but does not want to commit himself to regular work like bookkeeping. He has rules about which pockets to pick. He never steals from locals and he has a way to siz
Patricia Driscoll
Apr 10, 2013 Patricia Driscoll rated it it was amazing
Set in San Francisco, with a wonderful noirish feel. An unlikely sleuth and a likeable cast of characters add to this book's charm and kept me turning the pages. Wonderful debut novel.
Dec 12, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Andy's novel, Murder Misdirected. The action kept me reading the book long past my bedtime. Enjoyable, well written book!
Jun 13, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This inaugural venture into novel length murder mystery fiction captivated me with its blend of old and new !
Jan 24, 2013 Gigi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The pick-pocket hero kept me turning pages in this suspenseful mystery.
Jun 04, 2012 Wayne rated it really liked it
looking for the next one.
Aug 23, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice book if you like light murder mysteries with happy endings all tied up in a bow. I prefer mine more gritty and tense, but for a light read this is a decent choice. The plot is interesting, but could have had more intrigue around it. There was quite a variety of characters that were well described, with the protagonist a likable if somewhat hapless type. The writing moves along at a good clip, but some narrative is unnecessary and sometimes the spoken words are unnatural and more l ...more
Vinnie Hansen
Jun 02, 2013 Vinnie Hansen rated it really liked it
The Kid, the protagonist of Murder Misdirected, practices the classical dip to lift wallets. A pickpocket may seem an unlikely hero for a murder mystery, but The Kid has a tender heart, established early in the book when he rescues a damsel in distress. The Kid's occupation, the thinly disguised San Francisco setting, and the exotic dancer love interest all add a touch of noir to Murder Miscalculated. I loved The Pink Poodle, the dive where many scenes occur. In the end, the book contained some ...more
Leticia Garcia Bradford
Jun 14, 2012 Leticia Garcia Bradford rated it really liked it

A fun fast-paced read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I did figure out whodunit, I had to wait for the story to unfold to find out how. I imagined the book as a movie on TV. That would be really fun with all the scenes around the city.
Dec 10, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Awesome, quick read. If I have been off I would have read it in a few hours. Some parts were easy to figure out, but had some wonderful humor. Made me wish there was more humor, more pages. These characters would make a nice series.
Denny Stein
Oct 07, 2013 Denny Stein rated it it was amazing
Charming and engrossing noire mystery set in San Francisco. Excellent background information, endearing characters with depth and growth, plot twists, squirrelly action, tension, and surprises. I loved it.
Jul 08, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
This was a decent mystery and had a noir feel to it. I found myself hoping that things would work out for him.
Jun 28, 2012 Cberke rated it it was amazing
Debut novel by Andrew MacRae is a hit - especially for the well thought characters. He's an author to watch!
Bonnie Malouf
Mar 09, 2013 Bonnie Malouf rated it really liked it
Loved this first novel mystery. An easy read, with just the right amount of humor and suspense.
George Pritchard
Aug 09, 2013 George Pritchard rated it it was amazing
An new archetype in the West Coast genre.
Jul 29, 2012 Drury rated it really liked it
Nice tight story. I enjoyed it.
Neomi Thomas
Neomi Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Kevin Thornton
Kevin Thornton rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
liz rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
John marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Aron Harris
Aron Harris marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
A.J. McEvoy
A.J. McEvoy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Susannah Carlson
Susannah Carlson rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Anthony marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Barbara Schlichting
Barbara Schlichting marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
D.S. Hart
D.S. Hart rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
  • Moist
  • Dove Season (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #1)
  • A Terribly Strange Bed
  • Foreclosure: A Novel
  • The Mammoth Book of Locked Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes (Mammoth)
  • Dark Horse
  • The Rise of the Red Queen (Red Solaris Mystery, #2)
  • UnEmbraceable
  • G.S.O.H Essential (Happy Ever After, #2)
  • Terminally Ill (Hope Sze Medical Mystery, #3)
  • Daniel's Bride
  • Six Against the Yard
  • Nantucket Five-Spot: A Henry Kennis Mystery
  • Coast of Dreams: California on the Edge, 1990-2003
  • The Plague Court Murders (Sir Henry Merrivale, #1)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Nox Dormienda: A Long Night for Sleeping